how long for wisdom tooth extraction to heal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first wisdom tooth extraction about a month ago. It was a horrible experience because I ended up with dry socket and had pain for around two weeks with it. Well, now almost a month has passed and it has healed quite a bit but my gums are still pretty swollen around the extraction and it is still sore. It has been like this for a couple of weeks now so I'm wondering if this seems normal or I should have it looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 02:55 AM

Was it impacted at the time of the extraction? I had one that was and it took probably a month to really be better. My non impacted ones healed quickly.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM

I was out drinking & smoking that night, eating Doritos. Oh to be 21 again!

But that's certainly not the norm-I'm sure with dry socket, which I hear is very painful, it'll take longer for the inflammation to go down. I hope it heals soon for you!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:28 PM

All four of mine were impacted, and I only had one side of my mouth done at a time. The first side took a week or so before I could stop taking pain meds and then another three or 4 weeks to be completely healed over. This was in the summer of '06, and the gaps that were created still aren't completely closed. I don't know if they ever will.

For my other side, the bottom tooth actually shattered while he was trying to extract it. I am convinced a tiny shard that he left behind (could happen to anyone considering the situation) is what caused me to have an abscess(sp?) afterwards. I had to go to an immediate care facility to get meds to heal it. That added at least three or four weeks to the healing process.

I would honestly say that if the problem is just some swelling and a little soreness, you should be alright. Any kind of infection will increase the length of time the area needs to heal. Keep an eye on it, though. I discovered my abscess when I began spitting out puss. If you start having any form of leakage from that area, I would see a doctor as soon as possible. Otherwise, I would just take whatever pain medication you normally would for the pain and wait. If it is still really bothering you over the next few days to a week, it might be a good idea to make a follow-up appointment with your regular dentist just to make sure you are progressing normally.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Geez, I have impacted wisdom teeth and this does not make me want to ever get them out!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM

When I had an extraction done earlier in the year, the dentist told me to expect 2-4 weeks for the site to start healing, and then 2+ months for the gum tissue to start filling in the hole that was left by my molar.

I'd say if there's just a depression there, but your gum tissue is pink and healthy looking, just keep taking extra vitamin c, and let time do it's thing. However, if it is still swollen or otherwise looks funky, call your dentist or the surgeon and get their take on it.

(I am stalking you. But in a good way. lol I meant to ask you earlier how you were doing, but will all the bugginess here and pregnancy-brain I totally forgot!)

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

User Tag List