Listerine Smart Rinse and tooth staining - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son (45mos) has significant staining on his teeth. I have been beating myself up about this for months. We brush twice a day, floss nightly and rinse with Listerine Smart Rinse. I felt like I was doing something wrong - why were his teeth so discolored? He doesn't drink tea, coffee or soda.

I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and the stains improved a bit. I bought an Oral B version of the Sonicare, thinking maybe it was a better brush. Still the stains. He's had cleanings and dental visits, after which the stains remained. They are not areas of decay, just stains. I got the feeling that the dentist and hygenist didn't believe me when I told them I was very consious of caring for DS's teeth, and that he didn't drink beverages that would stain his teeth.

Then I read about tooth staining resulting from the use of mouth wash's containing cetylpyridinium chloride (google it, there are tons of articles out there). Guess what Listerine Smart Rinse contains? Yup. Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC).

Here is a link to Listerine's "professional" page, where they discuss this, and explain that the CPC interacts with toothpaste, which can result in staining.
http://www.listerineprofessional.com...nt.asp?param=2

Their advice is that patients rinse first with water before they use a mouthwash containing CPC. NOWHERE on the Listerine Smart Rinse bottle does it say this. On the front of the bottle, it says "post brush". The directions read "use twice a day after brushing your teeth with a toothpaste".

I can't remember the last time I've felt this angry. My son was teased at the park two weeks ago about the stains on his teeth. It broke my heart to hear it and to watch my son's face when it happened.

DS has another cleaning coming up on 7/28, and I'll be printing out some articles to show our dentist and hygenist.

I'm posting this to share our experience and see if this has happened to any other mamas here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelsea View Post
My son (45mos) has significant staining on his teeth. I have been beating myself up about this for months. We brush twice a day, floss nightly and rinse with Listerine Smart Rinse. I felt like I was doing something wrong - why were his teeth so discolored? He doesn't drink tea, coffee or soda.

I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and the stains improved a bit. I bought an Oral B version of the Sonicare, thinking maybe it was a better brush. Still the stains. He's had cleanings and dental visits, after which the stains remained. They are not areas of decay, just stains. I got the feeling that the dentist and hygenist didn't believe me when I told them I was very consious of caring for DS's teeth, and that he didn't drink beverages that would stain his teeth.

Then I read about tooth staining resulting from the use of mouth wash's containing cetylpyridinium chloride (google it, there are tons of articles out there). Guess what Listerine Smart Rinse contains? Yup. Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC).

Here is a link to Listerine's "professional" page, where they discuss this, and explain that the CPC interacts with toothpaste, which can result in staining.

Their advice is that patients rinse first with water before they use a mouthwash containing CPC. NOWHERE on the Listerine Smart Rinse bottle does it say this. On the front of the bottle, it says "post brush". The directions read "use twice a day after brushing your teeth with a toothpaste".

I can't remember the last time I've felt this angry. My son was teased at the park two weeks ago about the stains on his teeth. It broke my heart to hear it and to watch my son's face when it happened.

DS has another cleaning coming up on 7/28, and I'll be printing out some articles to show our dentist and hygenist.

I'm posting this to share our experience and see if this has happened to any other mamas here.
WOW! It's really ironic, because I was watching the commercial today and thinking "that stuff really has some green dye in it!" I am so sorry about your son's stains and the teasing. Why, why why does our FDA approve such crap? really.
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sucks . Here's a great mouthwash alternative -- though it's quite strong-tasting.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Oh yeah, it stains! I bought a bottle of that stuff because it had a rebate. I used it 2 or 3 times and it stained some of my bonding material brown.

The stains come off with a dental cleaning though. Although mine have gone away with time.

Stay away from Crest Pro Health too. That stains badly.

Also, kids who swim a lot (like 6 hrs a week) can get staining from the chemicals in pool water. Something to keep in mind for the future if your son ever joins swim team.
#5 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelsea View Post

THANK YOU for posting this! I just started using Oral-B mouthrinse that contains CPC, and now I will stop!

Sorry about you DS's teeth.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi and thanks so much for your posting! I too have been really concerned about the staining on my sons teeth. We brush his teeth twice a day and one day we're outside in the sunshine and he smiled at me and his teeth look as if he has been drinking coffee for his whole five years of life. I am furious! Not only does it look terrible I feel like if others see this (like his new kindergarten teacher) it seems as though we don't take proper care of his hygiene! And he has a dentist appointment tomorrow. I will be sending a letter to the company with a report from his dentist. Hopefully more people will see these postings and do the same. They are a bunch of jerks for doing this to our kids teeth.
Wanita
#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thank you for posting this. I have been getting stains on my teeth recently and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Like you I brush and floss all the time, avoid coffe/tea/soda, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page