Remineralizing Toddler's Teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18 month old DS has demineralization on three of his front teeth. I've already started increasing the frequency of toothbrushing, and I'm going to tweak his diet, and try some supplements (so far I've bought Calcarea phos, Natural Dentist Mouthwash for kids, and various Xylitol products). I'm overwhelmed by all the options out there, so I was hoping you all could recommend your favorite supplemnts, the ones that have helped remineralize your toddler's teeth? Also, I've read in more than one thread about people who put drops of tea tree oil (or grapefruit seed extract?) in their children's mouth after nursing to sleep. What's that all about? What is the ratio of tea tree oil to water? How is the tea tree oil delivered (with a dropper?). Thanks! Any advice is welcome. I'd like to do whatever I can to make sure DS's demineraliztion doesn't turn into cavitities, and nightweaning is not an option (although this was my dentist's only recommendation!).

Wendy, mama to Benjamin (1/4/07) :
#2 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 PM

High vitamin cod liver oil, homemade bone broths, and organ meats, high vitamin butter oil or very yellow pastured butter.
#3 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is what we did.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the great info!

I'm still trying to figure out a way to clean my son's teeth after nursing to sleep. Wiping his teeth would definitely wake him up, but a squirt of some kind of mouth cleaner might work. Any ideas? I've heard of people making a tea tree oil rinse. What would the ratio be of tea tree oil to water? Is tea tree oil safe is swallowed night after night (even in small amounts)? Thanks!

Wendy, mama to Benjamin (1/4/07) :
#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendylady View Post
a squirt of some kind of mouth cleaner might work. Any ideas?
water or water with dissolved xylitol

#6 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Great info on thre HealoZone. This is a relatively new (10 - 15 years) technique here and wonderful to have somethign non-invasive. I don't know if it is suitable for children but I can't see why not and it would be great if it ended the need to nightwean children after they had got their teeth (and put an end to anothr old wives tale, probably from the days when dental practice, especiually for children was pretty medieval). Bear in mind that it is painless and does not need to involve even a loal aneasthetic - altho topical treatment of the gm area might be a good idea whee childrens gums are particularly sensitive.
Bear in mind tho', that (here anyway) in order for this treatmnt to be completed with optimnal success it will involve the use of a re-mineralisation kit after the practice-based part of the treatment is commenced (the actual pumping of the ozone). This kit is it includes a series of flouride based treatment products to render it effective. I'm not saying this is right or wrong as I am niether pro or anti, but I just think it is useful to have all the information
#7 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinaT View Post
I don't know if it is suitable for children but I can't see why not and it would be great if it ended the need to nightwean children after they had got their teeth (and put an end to anothr old wives tale, probably from the days when dental practice, especiually for children was pretty medieval).
The dental practice that we see has used HealOzone many times on children, but it takes an experienced technician because the suction cups on the machine are relatively large for children's teeth -- the technician has to gently hold the cup in place to get suction. The practice that we see also recommends nightweaning toddlers. In their experience it does make a difference when ECC is rampant. After reading some of the scientific literature on the topic, I have concluded that frequent nightnursing can make things worse once ECC has developed.
Quote:
Bear in mind that it is painless and does not need to involve even a loal aneasthetic - altho topical treatment of the gm area might be a good idea whee childrens gums are particularly sensitive.
I can't imagine why a local would be necessary since the suction cups are very soft. The only challenge is keeping the child still during the procedure when several teeth are being done.
Quote:
Bear in mind tho', that (here anyway) in order for this treatmnt to be completed with optimnal success it will involve the use of a re-mineralisation kit after the practice-based part of the treatment is commenced (the actual pumping of the ozone). This kit is it includes a series of flouride based treatment products to render it effective.
The practice that we see recommended only the CureOzone remineralizing liquid as they did not want excessive fluoride exposure for my toddler. We apply a *tiny* amount of the CureOzone using a qtip. Adult protocols need to be adapted for toddlers .

#8 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
...The practice that we see recommended only the CureOzone remineralizing liquid as they did not want excessive fluoride exposure for my toddler. We apply a *tiny* amount of the CureOzone using a qtip. Adult protocols need to be adapted for toddlers .
Ksenia,
I'm sure I should know this but where do you get the CureOzone?

Also, is it FDA approved?

The HealthOzone is out since no one in my state offers it and I spoke with Tufts Dental Univ. They are conducting a study on it and advise it isn't FDA approved.

Is there any literature on the affects of exposure to Ozone?

~Cath
#9 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM

You might want to check out the Tea Tree oil more carefully before you use it. I have read that it can cause hormonal changes including breast development in young boys. Not sure if that is at all true, but wanted to warn you.
I am reading this carefully since my DS had ECC and seems to be ok now but he has had a stressful few weeks and resumed night nursing so we might have to deal with this again. Good Luck
#10 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
I'm sure I should know this but where do you get the CureOzone?

Also, is it FDA approved?

The HealthOzone is out since no one in my state offers it and I spoke with Tufts Dental Univ. They are conducting a study on it and advise it isn't FDA approved.

Is there any literature on the affects of exposure to Ozone?
You can only get the CureOzone liquid from a HealOzone practitioner. Ozone can be dangerous if not administered properly, but the HealOzone units are totally safe and have been well-researched in other countries. HealOzone is not FDA approved, but there are several practitioners in the US. The lack of FDA approval is not due to lack of safety but more likely due to weak demonstration of effectiveness. I think that's because it doesn't work on its own -- it only works if other changes are made at the same time. My HealOzone practitioner has found that after using it for 8 years. HealOzone is approved for use in Canada and our standards for food and drugs are at least as stringent as the US'.

#11 of 12 Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM

I understand neem oil is very effective. Of course an abundance of the minerals that compose teeth - calcium, magnesium. Eating natural fiber foods such as apple to help scrape teeth. Good bacteria (pro-biotics) to help keep a healthy system/starting in the mouth.
#12 of 12 Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 AM

- Thank you for all the updated info Ksenia.

Quote:
I can't imagine why a local would be necessary.
No, it does not need to involve even a loal aneasthetic - but the reason I say topical treatment of the gum area might be a good idea is that where childrens gums are particularly sensitive, if even a tiny tiny amount of ozone does leak out, this cna be particularly painful and I will Not risk exposing my l'il ones to that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page