Fixing an underbite in a young child. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have experience with an underbite that was corrected at a young age (before losing babyteeth)? Was it corrected by using head gear to pull out the upper jaw? Did it last? Was it overcorrected to compensate for later growth?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really see how fixing the babyteeth would effect the permanent teeth's growth. I could be wrong.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM

I don't have any experience with this is children, but I have a tiny bit of an underbite myself that my dentist tells me I'd most likely need surgery for. From what he tells me and what I've read, underbites are a jaw issue, best corrected before adolesence while the bones are still soft (which is why I'd need surgery). It does require head gear.

That's all I know. I just want to say how great it is that you're taking care of this now. My parents were great, but because we kids didn't have any obvious teeth/bite issues (and because of finances) they were very lax with dental care, and I'm paying for it now. My molars work more than they're supposed to because my bite is off, and it's cost me a lot of money to repair them.
#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

I had surgery for an underbite. Let me know if you go that route and I'll share my experience.
#5 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks, jenn! I would love more information. My dentist has referred me to an orthodontist, and I've been procrastinating on that because I'm really afraid to have it "officially" confirmed that I need surgery (ridiculous, I know). It would really help hearing from someone who's been through it.
#6 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#7 of 11 Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 AM

How old? Perhaps you can fix with nutrition so the jaw grows properly.

An underbite is evidence that any narrowing of jaw/palate and especially the middle third of the face... means the bones of the face are being compromised by inadequate nutrition to support growth in the skeleton, see these articles:

Is it Mental or is it Dental?--
Cranial & Dental Impacts on Total Health
http://www.westonaprice.org/healthis...velopment.html

Ancient Dietary Wisdom for Tomorrows Children
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html
#8 of 11 Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 AM

my 4.5 yo dd has an underbite. I had read about people using the headgear really early - starting around 4 yo. I went to an orthodontist that I trust and he said the headgear just basically torments the kids and they still need the same work done when they are around 7-9 yo. He recommended waiting to do anything till she was 7-9 yo and at thay point start orthodontics, there would be plenty of time to move everything around before the bones stop growing. He also said there is still a chance of it going away by then anyway. We are now on a nutrient dense, grain/dairy free diet and I'm hoping that will help our chances of healing it naturally.
#9 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Is there any other cause, do you think, for an underbite? (not the narrow-face overbite)

My 4yo daughter has a pretty pronounced underbite, where her upper front teeth are entirely inside her lower ones, with a gap she can put her tongue through.... and it looks like my 11mo will have one too, though maybe not as severe.

My older daughter is a great eater and loves healthy foods of all types, including what the WAPF recommends. Her sister is proving to be a bit pickier, but still enjoys a wide variety of whole foods. They both eat fish, meats, and raw milk products.

I was hoping that my older one's underbite would maybe become less pronounced as she got older, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I hope we can avoid surgery for both of 'em, and I'd love to see if there's another non-invasive route we can take to correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
How old? Perhaps you can fix with nutrition so the jaw grows properly.

An underbite is evidence that any narrowing of jaw/palate and especially the middle third of the face... means the bones of the face are being compromised by inadequate nutrition to support growth in the skeleton, see these articles:

Is it Mental or is it Dental?--
Cranial & Dental Impacts on Total Health
http://www.westonaprice.org/healthis...velopment.html

Ancient Dietary Wisdom for Tomorrows Children
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html
#10 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Here's a link to palate widening treatments. Don't know if it's used specifically for underbites??

Palate-Widening Orthodontics:
American Academy of Gnathologic Orthopedics:
http://www.aago.com

You can also ask your orthodontist or conduct a search to request the use of an "arch expander."
Here's a picture to demonstrate.
http://www.pediatricdentalprofessionals.com/ortho.htm
#11 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmarie View Post
Is there any other cause, do you think, for an underbite? (not the narrow-face overbite)

My 4yo daughter has a pretty pronounced underbite, where her upper front teeth are entirely inside her lower ones, with a gap she can put her tongue through.... and it looks like my 11mo will have one too, though maybe not as severe.

My older daughter is a great eater and loves healthy foods of all types, including what the WAPF recommends. Her sister is proving to be a bit pickier, but still enjoys a wide variety of whole foods. They both eat fish, meats, and raw milk products.
Assimilation/gut problems?

I think it could be vitamin K2 or A or D deficiency. You can eat really well, all healthy food, but it's easy to be low in these important bone building nutrients unless you specifically plan for it. For example, for 2 years I was eating exclusively raw grassfed dairy and taking the "regular" amount of high vitamin cod liver oil: 1 tsp providing 1000 IU of D. Yet my blood levels of vitamin D was low after a winter here in Massachusetts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page