Fluoride can do worse damage then just cause discoloration; my ds according to his pediatric dentist had fluorosis-induced cavities in his 4 upper front teeth. He loved eating toothpaste and until my mom showed me and had me READ the back of the tube of toothpaste I just thought it was cute.
But there is an actual warning on every tube of toothpaste [and on the box the tube comes in] that has sodium fluoride in it, it says WARNING: If you ingest [swallow] more toothpaste than is necessary for brushing teeth, call you doctor or the Poison Control Center immediately. Or something like that, because I don't have any fluoride toothpaste in my house anymore.
I, we, use only Xylitol products now. But my ds was poisoning himself and because of my ignorance I was allowing him to.
Now I have been told that an external application of fluoride varnish will not hurt the teeth, but I am hesitant to do this.
Instead my mom came up with a better Xylitol toothpaste and one that my ds will let his teeth be brushed with. She crushed 2 100% Xylitol candies then mixed that with some SPRY Infant jel and Tom's of Maine Kid's Strawberry fluoride-free toothpaste.
We brush his teeth at least twice a day with this; and then swipe 1 tsp Xylitol crystals with a minute amount of water - it makes kind of like a thick syrup - over his teeth just before he goes to sleep. A few times mom has even put it on his teeth when he's fallen asleep with a Q-tip. That way the Xylitol stays on his teeth through the night.
Xylitol corrects the ph balance in the mouth and body; I'll NEVER use sodium fluoride stuff again.
In so far as my ds's permanent adult teeth, I was told unless there is INFECTION I didn't have to worry about his adult teeth! That's right, I was told to continue the Xylitol diligently on his little broken teeth, and as long as there isn't any infection, his adult teeth are safe. That is from a pediatric dentist who is into preventative dentristy.
Then my mom contacted a professor of Dental Public Health Sciences at the University of Washington about an article he'd written on Xylitol syrup. His response was: "If you use Xylitol consistently all
your grandson's cavities should arrest. You need to do this every day, then his baby teeth can be left alone until they fall out naturally. His adult teeth are safe and will remain safe, unless he gets infection in his mouth. If infection is present you'll need to have those teeth pulled."
So, whether you take your dd to the dentist and have all the cavities filled, I'd still suggest starting a program of using Xylitol.
Go to www.zellies.com
, and/or www.xlear.com
get all the info you can and begin using it as soon as you can.