34-month-old and Tooth Decay - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my dd has some decay starting on 3 out of her 4 bottom molars. I was at the dentist last week and had an appointment for the dentist to peek in her mouth as well but she (dd) was against the whole thing! She wouldn't sit in the chair, not even on my lap and she wouldn't open her mouth.

I think that whatever is going on in her mouth should get checked out and dealt with sooner rather than later. It has just started, I only noticed these light-brown spots in the pits of her bottom molars a few weeks ago. There aren't cavities (holes) yet.

I don't want my dd to be traumatized about dental care. It's only the past few months that she's willingly had her teeth brushed. What if she needs fillings now? What kind of sedation options are there for 3 year olds? I don't want her to get a GA for 3 piddly fillings, but don't they have some amnesiac sedatives? Anyone had a 3-year-old that had a couple of small fillings done?

Thanks for reading.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM

I noticed brown spots in two of my now 4 yo son's molars a few weeks ago and took him in and the dentist said they were both cavities. She filled one then and will do one next month when he goes back for a cleaning. She is doing them in two appts. since they are on different sides. I guess she doesn't want to numb his whole mouth.

She used nitrous gas and novocaine. DS also had a crown put on a molar when he was 3 at her office with nitrous and novocaine.

He doesn't have any problems going to the dentist. I'm sure they can do something besides general anesthesia for a child who is very fearful. Someone here said her son had Versed at the dentist.
#3 of 13 Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 AM

My dd is a little over 3. She's been going to the dentist every 6 months for the past year and a half and she loves it. Within the last 6 months she had gotten 2 cavities in her back bottom molars - even with brushing everyday. They told me it wasn't anything bad, she just has really deep molars. So they gave me the option of waiting a little bit or doing it there and then. I knew if I went home I'd be on this board searching around making myself sick about all the options, so I just went for the fillings. They used a little bit of gas and novacaine, it took about 15 minutes and my dd was a good as could be. She said it didn't hurt at all and I was even out of the room for a few minutes to sign some paperwork and she was great (me, on the other hand.. not so good). She did complain (she actually cried for about a half hour) when the novacaine wore off.. they warned me this would happen since it's such an odd feeling for them. But after that she was good to go. Maybe the gas will relax her enough to start off? I'm sure you can ask them about their options and then you could do some of your own research on it?

Good Luck!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#4 of 13 Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

It's been almost a month since I first posted, and the decay in dd's mouth has gotten a little bit worse, but I think I'm comfortable waiting til her third birthday (1 month from now) to try going to the dentist again. We had another appointment for her a couple weeks ago and our regular dentist wasn't back from her vacation...wished they'd told us that before we drove 45 min to get there. The other dentist there had absolutely zero rapport with children...he freaked out my dd so much! I actually had her sitting in my lap in the dentist chair and was just about to start brushing her teeth when he came in. She squirmed out of the chair and hid behind dh. The dentist kept getting in her face and saying, "Can I just ask you a question sweetie, can you just open your mouth for me?" She was obviously getting more and more upset the more he followed her around trying to get her to cooperate. If he would've just laid off, I might have gotten her calmed down enough to open her mouth. Then he has the nerve to say she's just acting up and trying to get attention from her parents and it would be best if we went out to the waiting room. Yeah right, like I'd leave her alone with them to force their way into her mouth. She'd be traumatized for life! After we left dh said, "I wouldn't open my mouth for him either." This guy was just creepy/arrogant and dd obviously picked up on that pretty well.

As it stands now, I'm trying to balance getting my dd's teeth taken care of by a professional with making sure she doesn't become traumatized by the notion of dental work. My mom told me how the first time she went to the dentist at 6yo she didn't want to open her mouth and they forced some rubber plug in there so she couldn't close her mouth. For most of her life she's had to be sedated every time she goes to the dentist because she was so traumatized by her first dental experience.

Anyways, enough rambling. I'll update again the next time we try taking dd to the dentist.

#5 of 13 Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Hello. A few comments here.

I think it is great you are on top of things here. That being monitoring your child's teeth. It sounds like she needs treatment to me.

As for traumatizing the child. I think the trauma associated receiving dental treatment on nonsymptomatic teeth will be much less than treatment associated with a bad toothache and swelling from an abscess at midnight on a weekend.

Your concerns about emotional trauma are noted, expected, and understandable. But if these are cavities they need to be treated. There is no two ways about it.

NOW-the treatment approach for this child is key. You want to make this as less dramatic as possible. Consider oral sedation. A good choice of medication here is midazolam. It has amnesic properties and if these cavities are small then they could probably all be done in one visit. Also, this medication in combination with nitrous oxide has the ability to make the visit non dramatic for both the child and parents.

I hope this helps.
#6 of 13 Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've been monitoring dd's teeth ever since she's had them. I didn't brush them very often (at all , I didn't want to force the issue and make dental care something to be resented) but I always had a peek in there every now and then to keep an eye on things ('lift the lip' and all that). She finally likes getting her teeth brushed so I've been brushing thoroughly before she goes to sleep. So always at bedtime, and twice a day if she has a nap. Her teeth always looked perfect, even with the lack of regular brushing, up until a month ago. That's when I noticed the spots on her bottom molars. Both times we've taken her to the dentist to get it checked out, she just runs from the room.

I know that this decay needs to be treated. I wish I could take her in tomorrow and she would sit in the chair nicely and allow the dentist to clean it up. But at this point we'd probably have to restrain her just for the dentist to look at the decay, let alone do something about it. I'm hoping in another month, things might be different and dd will be happy to let the dentist look at her teeth. In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on the decay. I think the spots might be starting to get soft, so next time we take her in I won't be so willing to leave and 'wait til next time' if dd doesn't let the dentist at least have a look. I know how quickly baby teeth can go once the decay starts, so we are running out of time for waiting.

I really hope the next visit goes well! :

#7 of 13 Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey, you have a month to help get things calmed down. My ds had cavities, according to the first pediatric dentist in nearly every tooth in his mouth. $3400 worth of dental work, insurance would pay $1000. I'm a single mom, 2 children. My pay is all the income I have so it was looking like a nightmare.

My mom researched alternatives and came upon www.zellies.com; we started using their products. Then SPRY Xylitol products; some homeopathic products, etc. and within 6 months the cavities in his little teeth began remineralizing. When we decided to go for a second opinion - and we took the xrays from the first dentist - the second dentist could not find any, but one, of the other cavities in the back teeth. They had all remineralized! And the one he still has the dentist told me the cavity had been halted.

Now ds's 4 upper front ones were [still are basically] the bad ones. Because he had fallen on them at least twice and broken or chipped them...but even they have been classified as "strong."

We, that is my mom and I, use zellies and Emerald Forest [www.emeraldforestxylitol.com] candies, 2 to 3 after each meal or snack. We brush his teeth, at least twice a day, with 2 crushed Xylitol zellies, SPRY Infant jel, and Tom's of Maine Strawberry Fluoride-free toothpaste. We rinse his mouth with Xylitol water.

My ds is able to take up to 10 grams of Xylitol without any problem, but we had to build up to that, because a large amount to begin with can give diarrhea.

With my dd, 18 months old, we use the SPRY Xylitol gel; we just wipe it in and around her teeth. The Xylitol is sweet so it's ok. We also use SPRY'S "RAIN." It is a mouth spray. My kids just open their mouths when they see us get it and their cousins are the same.

There are all kinds of things you can do in the month before your child returns to the dentist. Most dentist are not promoting Xylitol because it could mean the death of their profession when/or if it really caught on.

But my children's teeth and teir health to me is even more important. Log onto the zellies site, it was written by a pediatric/general dentist.

Also you could go on www.epicdental.com it also has a lot of dental information about Xylitol.
#8 of 13 Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that, luv2amommy! Sounds like something that would work really well for my dd. Do you think I could find xylitol products at a natural/health store, or do you need to order them online?

#9 of 13 Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 AM

I know I've seen the Sparxx xylitol candies at the health food store. We used to have them for dd and we also chew the Peelu gum that contains xylitol. I wish I would have tried everything luv2bamommy2 uses to see if they would have reversed the decay in my dd's molars!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#10 of 13 Old 09-07-2008, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToElla View Post
I know I've seen the Sparxx xylitol candies at the health food store. We used to have them for dd and we also chew the Peelu gum that contains xylitol. I wish I would have tried everything luv2bamommy2 uses to see if they would have reversed the decay in my dd's molars!
I've been searching for xylitol gum that doesn't contain aspartame. I should really check my local health food store!

#11 of 13 Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Hello Mothers! My almost 4yo dd has some decay on her molars also. We discovered this a few months ago and I have been agonizing about what course to take. DD was a little "combative" during her first and only visit. Because of this, our dentist said that she would have to use the "papoose" board when filling the teeth. I looked it up and it's a complete body restraint! Looks very intimidating. Have any of you had experiences with such a contraption? I'm not sure if restraint is better than sedation... I'm also leary about anesthesia for my wee one. Any thoughts on what would be the least traumatic/ cause the least harm? I don't want to create dental anxiety.
p.s..... Not sure if I should have started a new thread... moderator feel free to move...

Sarah :
#12 of 13 Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sarah, your dd's situation sounds very much like mine. Decay going on in the molars that you want to get cleaned up, but your dd doesn't want to have anything to do with the dentist. It's such a tough call, isn't it? I know that the longer I wait, the worse her decay is getting, but I don't want to *force* her to submit to treatment and then be traumatized about going to the dentist for the rest of her life (this is what happened to my mom). I'm going to try taking my dd in to the dentist again in another week or so. That's kind of the plan, I guess, just keep trying until she cooperates at the dentist.

Papoose boards look totally freaky. Imagine how it would feel to be strapped in and having stuff done to you against your will. I think sedation would be a better choice. There are amnesiac sedatives that calm your child down enough to get the dental work done, and then they don't remember it afterwards!

Good luck with taking your dd to the dentist, feel free to update on this thread.

#13 of 13 Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafrass94 View Post
Hello Mothers! My almost 4yo dd has some decay on her molars also. We discovered this a few months ago and I have been agonizing about what course to take. DD was a little "combative" during her first and only visit. Because of this, our dentist said that she would have to use the "papoose" board when filling the teeth. I looked it up and it's a complete body restraint! Looks very intimidating. Have any of you had experiences with such a contraption? I'm not sure if restraint is better than sedation... I'm also leary about anesthesia for my wee one. Any thoughts on what would be the least traumatic/ cause the least harm? I don't want to create dental anxiety.
p.s..... Not sure if I should have started a new thread... moderator feel free to move...

Sarah :

That papoose board sounds AWFUL- there are so many other ways to manage a 4 yr old than restraints. It sounds traumatic. What about a few short visits instead of 1 longer one, with lots of rewards before and after?
Good luck- I am struggling with the whole GA thing too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page