7 year old's abcessed molar--do we HAVE to pull it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
Wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last month my dd found a "bump" , not painful, above a non-permanent molar, and the clinic dentist thinks it is because she had a deep filling there a year ago, and it got infected. After some he drained it and we did antibiotics, the bump went away. She couldn't get it pulled right awayb/c the free clinic is so jammed, but in two weeks she is due in to get it pulled and put a spacer in b/c the big molar isn't due for a few years.

But with everything fine in her mouth again, no visible sign of infection, I feel reluctant to go through with the pulling. She is nervous about it. And wouldn't it be great if the infection just never returned, and she could keep it in?

Any experiences to share, either with not pulling or with eventually needing to pull?

Any advice on ways to keep infection from returning? Maybe more vit c, more xylitol products...?

Thanks!!!!
Wildflower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
 
kiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Last month my dd found a "bump" , not painful, above a non-permanent molar, and the clinic dentist thinks it is because she had a deep filling there a year ago, and it got infected. After some he drained it and we did antibiotics, the bump went away. She couldn't get it pulled right awayb/c the free clinic is so jammed, but in two weeks she is due in to get it pulled and put a spacer in b/c the big molar isn't due for a few years.

But with everything fine in her mouth again, no visible sign of infection, I feel reluctant to go through with the pulling. She is nervous about it. And wouldn't it be great if the infection just never returned, and she could keep it in?

Any experiences to share, either with not pulling or with eventually needing to pull?

Any advice on ways to keep infection from returning? Maybe more vit c, more xylitol products...?

Thanks!!!!
Hello Wildflower.

In the end that decision is yours. Your provider is there to advise you on the best possible treatment for the child. Your options will have been presented with appropriate risk/benefit analysis for non treatment. Non treatment is an option but may not be a good choice.

There may be no "visible" sign of infection, but it would be refreshing to see if there were any radiographic sign of infection. If an x-ray is taken and the bone between the roots of the baby molar appear to be in normal limits, then doing no treatment would be an okay option. HOWEVER, if there is any sign of bone loss this gives the signal infection is still present and not treating the tooth (whether it be baby root canal treatment or an extraction) would not be a good option.

Pretty much the answer to your question is that not enough information is available to answer the question. It has only been a month but perhaps you could schedule an appointment to have the provider take an x-ray of it to see how it looks now. You don't want your child to be walking around with a hidden infection. I hope this helps.
kiddie is offline  
#3 of 11 Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to suggest that many folks are "walking around with hidden infection" and are fine.

From my understanding of caps, for instance, it is basically 100% likely that not all "hidden infection" is able to be extricated before applying the cap. The micro-organisms persist, despite everything short of perhaps, ozone.

There are many ways to address the issue, both systemically and topically. There are risks that the infection could progress also.

We have a similar situation, under two caps that ds had applied. You can get more information about alternatives here, on VeryYoungKidsTeeth, AlternativeKidsTeeth and DentalAdvice yahoogroups.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=287472904
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=287472904
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DentalAdvice/

Please continue to research all alternatives. Consider the age of the tooth, its expected useful life, the duration until secondary replacement, your child's overall health status, the trauma/sedation involved in removal, etc. It certainly could be removed, at any time.



HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 PM
 
kiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'm going to suggest that many folks are "walking around with hidden infection" and are fine.

There are many ways to address the issue, both systemically and topically. There are risks that the infection could progress also.
I respectfully disagree. If bone loss is apparent between the roots of the tooth in question from the x-ray evaluation, it is not fine.

You mention that there is a possiblilty for the infection could progress as well. Also, more support that it is not fine.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and giving advice, but I feel the child should be checked out again to confirm the status of the bone around the root of the tooth in this situation.
kiddie is offline  
#5 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
 
Wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I left a long message to the dentist, asking him to look at the xray again for bone loss just as discussed here(he did stare at it at length during our visit, but didnt mention anything about bone less and I didn't know to ask--he is a young guy doing some kind of community service at the free clinic--hopefully the bone loss issue is a simple, easy one since he's not quite an expert dentist I would think), and I joined an alternative teeth list and am hoping for responses there--thanks so much ladies! We'll see how things develop.

We are an RU family, so the choice is dd's...She is always very open to medical advice, and is just ambivalent now--would kinda suck to get it pulled (she actually elected to get her front teeth pulled after they were loose for 4 months--she hates to wiggle and welcomed the procedure, so no big phobia there !), would kinda suck to be always wondering if another 'bump' was on the way and to have mama suggesting lots of measures she might not enjoy, i.e. supplements, xylitol...

Really, thank you for responding--very helpful!

I hope we can keep it! Wouldn't that be nice...
Wildflower is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
 
kiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Hi! I left a long message to the dentist, asking him to look at the xray again for bone loss just as discussed here(he did stare at it at length during our visit, but didnt mention anything about bone less and I didn't know to ask--he is a young guy doing some kind of community service at the free clinic--hopefully the bone loss issue is a simple, easy one since he's not quite an expert dentist I would think), and I joined an alternative teeth list and am hoping for responses there--thanks so much ladies! We'll see how things develop.

We are an RU family, so the choice is dd's...She is always very open to medical advice, and is just ambivalent now--would kinda suck to get it pulled (she actually elected to get her front teeth pulled after they were loose for 4 months--she hates to wiggle and welcomed the procedure, so no big phobia there !), would kinda suck to be always wondering if another 'bump' was on the way and to have mama suggesting lots of measures she might not enjoy, i.e. supplements, xylitol...

Really, thank you for responding--very helpful!

I hope we can keep it! Wouldn't that be nice...
I would like to see a current x-ray (one taken today) to see what the bone looks like now. Not one from before. If it looks normal TODAY then it should be okay to wait, but consistently monitor it for any symptoms.

Let us know how you make out.
kiddie is offline  
#7 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
 
JBaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The fistula is probably draining any minor infection out ( it popped when that yellowish pimple looking thing went away) If that little flistual gets blocked again the swelling will come back. Did your dentist mention a pulpotomy? Its basiclly a baby root canal that takes out the infected nerve of the tooth and replace it with a filling then usually crowned w/ a stainless steel crown. Also when the dentist calls back ask how close the permenant toot is under the infected baby tooth. In some cases when the baby tooth is taken out too soon they need to put in a space maintainer so the teeth dont shift.
I would not just leave it if it were my child. Some treatment needs to be chosen

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
JBaxter is offline  
#8 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
 
kiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
The fistula is probably draining any minor infection out ( it popped when that yellowish pimple looking thing went away) If that little flistual gets blocked again the swelling will come back. Did your dentist mention a pulpotomy? Its basiclly a baby root canal that takes out the infected nerve of the tooth and replace it with a filling then usually crowned w/ a stainless steel crown. Also when the dentist calls back ask how close the permenant toot is under the infected baby tooth. In some cases when the baby tooth is taken out too soon they need to put in a space maintainer so the teeth dont shift.
I would not just leave it if it were my child. Some treatment needs to be chosen
I don't mean to be nitpicky here, but just want to have accuracy. If the tooth is infected and nerve treatment is elected to try to save the tooth, a pulpectomy will be needed. You probably meant this but wanted to make this note.

Here are the differences between the two:

CLICK LINK HERE

You are right on though otherwise. Space maintainer may need to be done if the tooth is removed. Very good there.
kiddie is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
 
JBaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddie View Post
I don't mean to be nitpicky here, but just want to have accuracy. If the tooth is infected and nerve treatment is elected to try to save the tooth, a pulpectomy will be needed. You probably meant this but wanted to make this note.

Here are the differences between the two:

CLICK LINK HERE

You are right on though otherwise. Space maintainer may need to be done if the tooth is removed. Very good there.
guess the grammar police are out huh. Yes that is what I said. I should have edited the paragraph into 2 for clarity sake. OH THANK you for pointing out how posting on the run can make thoughts unclear. < yes Im being sarcastic>

To ORIGINAL POSTER...

I hope the dentitist called you back with some additional options. I worked in the dental field for a long time feel free to PM me.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
JBaxter is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 AM
 
luv2bamommy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, my ds fell not long ago and broke the root of a tooth, it abscessed. The dentist gave him a round of antibiotics for 10 days [these were the first antibiotics he'd ever had]; they did not 100% clear up the little bubble.

I called his Ped dentist and made an appointment - it happened on a Friday evening [they called in the prescription], the appointment was for 14 days later. My mom starting giving him a homeopathic remedy called Hepar Sulp [something like that] within the 3 days of stopping the antibiotics the bubble completely disappeared.

I took him to his dentist they took an x-ray, which showed plainly the broken root - but nowhere in the x-ray does it show his secondary or permanent teeth, so they are not in danger.

My mom then contacted some dentist who is working/experimenting with Xylitol syrup from the University of Washington and basically asked about what we were doing for my ds's teeth. His response back was to continue using the Xylitol, and my son's baby teeth would be alright until they fell out of their own accord.

But he did caution us about more infection in the gum above that one little tooth. So my advice would be use Xylitol in you child's mouth and tell her to let you know if her mouth hurts.

If you need a great tasting Xylitol product try using Emerald Forest [www.emeraldforestxylitol.com]; my son loves the Grape Blizzard and Licorice! There is also Cherry Blast, Key Lime, Raspberry, and a Citrus flavored. It's worth a try.
luv2bamommy2 is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 AM
 
Vancouver Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an abscess about five weeks after my dd was born. I can tell you in all honesty that I would give birth ten times over rather than face another abscess. Although the pain had subsided by the time I got to the dentist, he told me that it could flare up at any time. I had a root canal and a crown, which I suppose is an option for your ds, but I would think that extraction would be a better choice for a little one.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Vancouver Mommy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off