Swollen gums after a filling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just had to have a very large filling that is still going to potentially need a root canal.

Before the filling, I was not having any pain but my gums were swollen and tender when poked.

Now I've had the filling and my tooth is sensitive. It doesn't ache all the time but drinking makes it hurt as well as chewing gum.

What can I do for my gums? Other than the swelling, I have no signs of infection. There was no sign of infection in the x-ray (ligament didn't look irritated, no puss... etc)

What would you do?
#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you called them back, and how long has it been?

If you got metal fillings, they could be sensitive for a bit (like a week??) directly after the filling was done.

If you are so close to the nerve or so far along the gum line w/"funk" that it maybe should have been a root canal and you got filled instead, then I'm sorry to say, you might need to be canaled at some point (PLEASE check up on this before saying some random mama on the web said you need a root canal).

I don't know how new your filling is, but it sounds new and like you can do warm salt water gargles and sensitive tooth (most likely over the counter) flouride toothpaste. You can do peppermint extract in a cotton swab or q tip and leave that sitting on the gum line a bit.

You can also brush w/peppermint, vanilla, and even vinegar and/or sit w/cotton balls of those up on the gum line a bit and then do a regular brushing. HTH!
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is a metal filling and it is very deep (under the gum-line) and close to the nerve.

I had it done on Thursday and called on Friday because it was so sensative. They said that sensitivity was normal as long as it got better over time, not worse. So, right now I'm not really worried about that.

I do realize that I may still need a root canal, that's no surprise.

The reason I'm not rushing in right now is because my gums are no more swollen than before my tooth was filled, they're just not better.

There was no signs of infection on Thursday in an x-ray. The bone is fine, it didn't even show any irritation around the tooth.

Do you think that there is a chance that my gums have some infection that is not related to the cavity?

Are the things that you recommended for pain (I'm not in pain at all) or are they to help heal the gums?

I have been rinsing with salt water for about 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?
#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm a recurring patient, so my stuff is t&t from the standpoint of btdt. I'd never recommend anything I didn't already try or already believe to be effective.

Yes, that stuff helps w/swelling, bu moreso w/pain, ime.
The salt/saline dealio is gonna be most effective and less pain eliciting. Beyond that is stuff I know for mainly pain and possibly swelling. You can always do a cold compress on your cheek on the outside, but well, that seemed obvious so I didn't bother.

I know some people use tea bags on the gum line, but *I* don't know how. I don't know if it is used bags or not, what tea herbs to use, and any of that. I just don't know that. Nothing readily comes to mind, other than I've heard to do that.

And I mean, there is other stuff out there to be tried. I just don't usually say "try this" unless I've actually tried it. kwim?

eta: think about the work they just did. that'll make stuff swell. for a good clip. Just another wild, out there, thing to consider-how is your gum health? I was just diag'd w/periodontal disease this summer. I'm 36. Not sayin you have it or ever will, but ya know, healthy gums hosting healthy teeth mostly don't swell, like w/weather (you were supposed to laugh there).

Hang in there. You'll get fixed.
#5 of 5 Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM

I have been using Ioxan from baar.com and my sore gums are nice and pink. I also swish with celtic sea salt too. And take camu camu and apply vit E directly to the gums.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page