Root canal or pull it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I have a molar, second from the back on the bottom, that's had pieces breaking off for a couple years now. I finally have insurance and went to the dentist the other day and my options are to have a root canal or pull it.

One big factor for me is price. He said pulling it runs about $200, whereas root canal and a crown runs about $1800. That's a huge difference for us since we're a one income family and don't always have money left over at the end of the pay period. I hate to have us fall behind or struggle to pay this off.

The dentist reccomended a root canal because if it's pulled he said in about 25 years the two teeth on either side will move and sort of 'fall in' to the vacated spot.

DH had a molar pulled about 20 years ago and hasn't had any trouble with it. The few people I've talked to in person say to just pull it because they've had or heard of people having trouble with their root canals/crowns.

Any advice or reccomendations?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#2 of 10 Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM

$1800?? Yikes. I think I'd pull it. Especially since your DH has not had any trouble with missing a molar.

Is it really that big of a deal to have your teeth shift a bit? Or is it mainly a cosmetic concern?
#3 of 10 Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sorry, I'd keep it. If you can make an arrangement for payments, I'd go that route. plus you state you have insurance now. This wouldn't be the amount with insurance. Ask them to do a pre-treat estimate with your insurance so you know exactly what price you are looking at.
#4 of 10 Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
$1800?? Yikes. I think I'd pull it. Especially since your DH has not had any trouble with missing a molar.

Is it really that big of a deal to have your teeth shift a bit? Or is it mainly a cosmetic concern?
The shift in teeth isn't a cosmetic concern at all. I'm almost wondering if it would help because the front teeth on the bottom are quite crooked because they're so crowded, maybe that'd help.

It's possible insurance would pay half, but that's still a lot of money. I'm still waiting to hear back from insurance on what they'll pay.

It's also tough to get an estimate from the doctor that will do the root canal because I have to go to a pick of towns an hour away to get it done, so that's more gas and less money for me because I keep an infant for someone and she'll have to come get him everytime I have an appointment.

Keep the advice coming, it helps.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#5 of 10 Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 AM

Have you done a search in this forum? A while back someone posted about this very same topic, and there was some great information about the incidence of infection in the tooth even after the root canal.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 10 Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 AM

Pull it. If the tooth is not a cosmetic worry, there is not reason to have an empty tooth unbalancing your bodies health.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#7 of 10 Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 AM

I would not have a root canal, and it has nothing to do with money. You can do a search on all the negatives of root canals, and I would not do it. I would pull it and have a bridge or whatever they are called made to replace it if I was worried about teeth shifting or for aesthetic reasons.
#8 of 10 Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM

I am happy to read these responses. My husband was recently faced with this choice. His dentist recommended getting the tooth pulled because it was small and the decay was quite bad.

So he did get it pulled just yesterday, and now he is in so much pain because the tooth snapped and the dentist had to dig in his gums to get the root out! But it's nice to be reassured that he made the right choice.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#9 of 10 Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 AM

i had the exact thing happen with the same exact tooth, and i paid for a root canal and a crown, the root canal failed, and i lost the tooth anyway, after a very painful abcess situation. i have a hole there now, and can't afford bridgework to get it fixed, and my bite is off which gives me headaches sometimes. also i can't chew hard things like carrots, nuts and apples over there because they hurt the gum and stick in the gap

root canals don't always take.

just a caveat.

that said, to further complicate things for you, im sorry, the tooth behind that also had to be root canaled and crowned at around the same time, and it is just fine. two different dentists did the crowns, but the same endo did the rc. i think the crown on the one that failed wasnt set in properly, but i couldnt prove that that was the cause of failure.

good luck with whatever you decide!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#10 of 10 Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm missing molars, both on the bottom and the top, I had them pulled while still in high school.

1 top 1 bottom and a wisdom tooth on the right and 1 bottom on the left. The good thing with the bottom left molar is that I was able to keep my wisdom tooth over there because there was extra room for it, It has drifted foward and there is a slight gap between it and the molar in front of it but after a while you get used to it and things don't get stuck or when they do your tounge just pops it out and you brush extra good between the space.

I have no problem with eating

Looking back with the could of, should of, would of type of thinking I do wished I had the option to have a root canal and cap/crown... but I think it's more of the fact of having the "option" available, not the actual thing itself, if that makes any sense.

When my hubby had a bad tooth he opted to get a root canal and crown. It cost us a good chunck of money but that was okay, we found a way. (it was also before kids so tightening the budget was more doable then too)

Would I have a root canal now if I as faced with loosing another tooth... if it was on the right side yes because I am already missing some over there, on the left, well I would probably be more open to having it 'just pulled'

Which brings me to another thing "just pulled" isn't as simple sometimes as that... in an emotional sense. It's loosing a part of your body that's been with you for a long time.. it's sad.. but it is okay too. It's not weird to want to do whatever you can to save a tooth but it's okay to let go and have the tooth pulled also.

I wished that dental stuff was not so expensive!

I don't know if my ramblings really helped or not...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page