How do I stop my gums from receding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the dentist on Tuesday for the first time in 4 years. No insurance so I kept putting it off. Until Monday night when I noticed a dark colored spot on a tooth along my gumline. It also showed signs of sensitivity.

So I went to the dentist and he said it's b/c my gums are receding. Which he'd made some mention of this at my last visit. Apparently b/c of all of the teeth grinding that I do at night he thinks my gums are further receding since my last visit. Typically I have been wearing my "Doctor's Night Guard." However, overall in the last 4 years I haven't been very faithful.

The dentist said sometimes gums receding can be from a lack of vitamin C. But I take a quality multi-vitamin and I drink my orange juice?! Any ideas what I can do to squelch any further receding damage??

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Sometimes if you brush too hard it can make your gums recede. And not flossing can irritate gums. So maybe try to brush gently and floss regularly if you aren't already. Xylitol gum may help too since it makes your mouth alkaline and reduces bacteria in the mouth.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am probably guilty of brushing too hard....

Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes, you need to get a really soft brush. Look for one that says extra soft on it. And I agree with doing the xylitol. You might want to look at this page about dental care too: http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/searc...eceding%20gums This dentist promotes a system using 3 different rinses and chewing xylitol gum and she says it can help receding gums.

And I don't know if it's an option for you with no insurance, but my gums were receding and my dentist put some kind of bonding material on the parts of my teeth closest to the gumline, I guess to protect them?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
ccm

I have this problem too here's what i recommend you do:

Never brush or swish with baking soda or hydrogen peroxide in the mouth-baking soda wears away gums its too akaline

Never brush with toothpaste, toothpaste contains abrasives like baking soda, silica, calcium carbonate, and salt which wear away enamel and gums

brush your teeth with toothsoap plain water or dip brush in salt water
toothsoap is non abrasive

I recommend you brush with the softest toothbrush you can find gently once per day and swish with sea salt fully dissolved in water

Uncle harrys makes a herbal formula for receding gums and a good toothsoap
i bought radius childrens toothbrush its very soft you might want to look at what baby toothbrushes you can find-they are often softer or use a silicon baby tooth brush
Old 10-24-2008, 09:54 PM

I had this problem too. This is how I dealt with it:

Wear your nightguard religously. Seriously. Apart from the dental issues, you will sleep SO much better, and wake up without the headaches that tooth grinding can cause.

Floss daily. Do not skip.

Buy an electric toothbrush like an Oral B that brushes in a circular motion, instead of using a manual brush in an up and down motion.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM

My sister in law had this issue and her dentist told her to stay away from mint of any kind as it can irritate the gums. He also told her to rub coconut oil on her gums.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting. I wonder how coconut oil helps the gums. I'm going to try it. We have a lot of coconut oil around the house and my gums have receded a bit thanks to overzealous brushing.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Wonderful suggestions! Here could be another big problem....my tooth powder that I've been using. It's from Eco-Dent and basically all it is is baking soda and calcium carbonate. Very abrasive to my gums! Ach!

Looks like I need to go shopping for something different!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 AM

eat better
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayne201 View Post
eat better
What do you mean? I think I do eat pretty healthy!!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:04 AM

I was told I was brushing to aggressivly. I had sharp seering pain, it was at that crazy point of me just wanting to lay down and cry/die. Actually I was having pain that resembled ear infection and sinus infection in addition to the tooth aches.

He painted 'something' on the exposed parts of my gum/teeth, boy it was bitter, tingly, numbing, but it helped.

I went out bought a tube of sensodyne toothpaste - I know it's probably not under the 'natural' brands but have been using it for anout 6 months now. I have a cleaning in a couple of weeks and I will see what he says about my gum health.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I was just researching the Dr. Ellie's Zellies products and what she recommends. I think it sounds like she has the right idea about WHY it happens amongst other things, but I must admit I am disappointed that she recommends things like Crest which has sodium laureth sulfate in it. Plus she recommends flouride. Which is something my dentist recommended as well, but still....

Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Uncle Harry's system. I ordered the tooth powder, breath freshener spray, dental gum, mouthwash miracle and the kids toothpaste. I'll give a review when they arrive!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 AM

hi,
sorry about the eat better thing, but a nutrient dense diet is crucial for oral health. I could be wrong, but you may not be getting enough vitamin-c. This vitamin builds for collagen; collagen builds gum tissue (receding gums means gum degeneration). Try supplementation. A dirt cheap supplement is vitamin c powder (ascorbic acid) mixed with baking soda for sodium ascorbate.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM

I have been following this post thread for a long time, and was looking to see what others have to say, and I want to offer what I did to make my gums stop receeding:

-I tried uncle harrys approach, with bits of sucess. I still take Camu Cmau powder which is a must for gums. I take 2 tsp a day.

-I went to a dowser to find out all my food sensitivities, and I saw drastic improvemnts from elliminating those bad foods. I also noticed that when I have a yeast infection flare up, my gums are bad to. Do you have any yeast issues?

-I never eat anything prosessed such as sugar, white flour, etc..

-I eat raw veggies and an apple throughout the day to strengthen my gums. And I try to eat a salad too.

-Brush with Uncle Harrys tooth powder and/or Dr Christophers (herbsfirts.com) tooth powder (I prefer this stuff and only use uncle harrys once a week)

- I tried Tooth Soap, and I hated it. It made my gums worse! The Soap had gone rancid twice!!! Never again.

-I am not for xylitol. Sorry to those who love it.

-Get enough calcium and magnesium (I get mine from herb infusion, raw yogurt, greens, and Natural Calm Calcium.)

-Floss! I tried a water pik, and I stopped using it since it was such a pain. When I stopped, I didn't see any changes for worse, or good. Least I could say I tried that.

-And the number one key to stopping and healing receeding gums is: Use the Edgar Cayce formula called Ioxan. Swish with it every day. This is a must, must, must! If you don't do this, just forget everthing else. Using this stuff is amazing.

Now my gums are a light pink color, and firm, and not tender anymore. No more bleeding while flossing. I had dealt with gum issues for along time, and I am actually better. So there is light at the end of the rainbow!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

bluebirdmama1--is this the stuff you were referring to?

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/mercha...oduct_Code=772

Thank you for your advice/tips!

dayne201--no problem about the healthy eating comment; I just wanted to know what you meant. My dentist had mentioned the vitamin C as well. This is a vitamin that a person can't overdose on, correct? Like my body will flush out what isn't needed?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Also wanted to mention that I don't have any yeast problems that I'm aware of.

What's a dowser?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama View Post
bluebirdmama1--is this the stuff you were referring to?

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/mercha...oduct_Code=772

Thank you for your advice/tips!

dayne201--no problem about the healthy eating comment; I just wanted to know what you meant. My dentist had mentioned the vitamin C as well. This is a vitamin that a person can't overdose on, correct? Like my body will flush out what isn't needed?
yes, that is the stuff.

It is pretty hard to overdose on vitamin C. I use Camu Camu because it is all natural not just ascorbic acid which is incomplete vit C. The reason camu camu works so well is because it has all the bioflavoniods too. It is pricey on uncle harrys site, but I found it on ebay really cheap.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Do you feel that the powder camu camu is better than say the capsules? I see it's also available as a liquid. So many choices!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama View Post
Do you feel that the powder camu camu is better than say the capsules? I see it's also available as a liquid. So many choices!!!
I only got the powder because it is cheapest, and it is eay to get my dd to take, capsuls are not. It is sweet and can be mixed into anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Hi...

Get an extra soft toothbrush and make sure that you brush gently, it might help to have a hygienist review brushing techniques with you to prevent anymore recession. The most important thing is to not brush "up and down" but with gentle small circles with a 45 degree angle into your gums and then sweep the toothbrush upwards away from your gums.

Try not to use whitening toothpastes as they have tiny abrasive particles and if you must, use one with baking soda in it (it's the least abrasive when in toothpaste.)..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM

I think the famous chemist Linus Pauling advocated mega doses of vitamin-c daily. He said it was essential for immunity. Whether or not to gum recession, I don't know. I am also trying to learn more about the connection to C intake and collagen, which gum tissue is made of. Supposedly he took like 10,000 mg per day? I doubt you can overdose on Vit. C; your body makes absolutely none of it so it probably tries to use whatever it can? I am trying to learn more about this guy. He did live 93 years though.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 AM

subbing since I'm dealing with this issue too.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 AM

subbing. i'm pretty sure this is what is going on with me. i've had major problems with night grinding for the last 13 years but have not worn my night guard very much because i absolutely hate it. my dh also thinks that i brush my teeth too hard. i've always had really healthy teeth, but recently have had some pain with hot/cold/sweet and last night noticed pockets near my gumline totally out of the blue on the exact same 2 teeth on both sides on the bottom - i was shocked! i scheduled an appt to go in and be seen but they cannot get me in for over 2 months

has anyone had the gum graft surgery? is this the only option as far as covering the root back up again? i'm wondering if my insurance would even pay for that as it's listed as "plastic surgery" on a lot of websites
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

thanks for all this info guys
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Since I started this thread, my Uncle Harry's order has arrived and I've been using it for about 2 1/2 weeks. No signs of improvement yet, but I do like it. It's different to use b/c there's no "foaming" action when you brush. But they feel nice and clean!

I also bought a children's electric toothbrush. Adult ones sell for about $20 and kids ones are $5! It's a little short for reaching to the far back, but I just stretch my mouth out a bit and it works great!!!

I'll update again when it's been more time.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

i have bad gums too....I don't have yeast issues either---actually just had my first yeast infection (skin) at 38 years old.

THe only thing that has helped my teeth, besides soft toothbrush and not brushing too rigorously is stay off the sugar, soda completely. I eat really well, but I love candy---a piece here and there. I just had 3 fillings filled, on the gumline and I gave up sugar. WOW! I didn't realize how much candy I was eating. I told my dentist I need reese cup rehab.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 AM

I meant to respond to this thread earlier to say that oil pulling really helped my gums (before I had to give it up because I found out I was pregnant and it made me ill).
A thought you might consider, if nothing else.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

User Tag List