What's the scoop on fluoride drops for infants and toddlers?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never even thought about fluoride drops for DS until I went to his 1 year well check today with a new doc. They gave me a year's worth of refills for these things. Anyway, I came home and did a little research and have read stuff on both sides (for and against FD). To add to my ever growing opinion of fluoride drops for DS or any other little one, I am asking MDC mamas-what is your take on the fluoride drops? Do you use them? Why or why not? Please share
TIA

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Fluoride drops are supposed to be for the adult teeth when they come in. They don't affect the baby teeth that are already formed. My daughter had/has decay on some of her baby teeth. We have chosen to do fluoride varnishes on those teeth. But I'm not doing the drops. The dentist says that just because there is decay on her baby teeth doesn't mean that her adult teeth will be affected. I think they just love the fluoride. Good luck!

Oh, your pediatrician gave you these? Have you taken DS to a pediatric dentist yet? They like to start seeing them around their first birthday.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't use fluoride at all on my kids, because I believe it can be toxic. I think there is enough naturally occurring in my breast-milk.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 AM

Fluoride is a neurotoxin, I will never give to my DS.
#5 of 9 Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would never give fluoride drops to anyone. It is poison. Fluoride is one of the biggest health hoaxes on the planet.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 9 Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 PM

NAK. I wouldn't use fluoride unless it seemed really necessary. But first I would make sure your tap water isn't fluoridated. And even then I would use less than the recommended amount.

Long story short, too much can cause fluorosis of teeth and bones. And research suggests it can affect the brain.

Try searching the term fluoride on this forum for more info. Also, check your library for the Dec 07 / Jan 08 issue of Scientific American for a thorough article.

~Cath
#7 of 9 Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 PM

None of my kids have had flouride drops (pediatricians generally recommend them if you don't have flouridated water). I haven't found a study that actually supports ingesting flouride. Topical flouride, such as flouride treatments and flouride toothpaste, yes. Ingesting, no.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 9 Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM

do your homework. read at 'Fluoridealert.org' and 'Safbaby.com'. Fluoride is a slow poison, very easy to get overdosed for tiny bodies.
#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page