Potty Training: naked to underwear transition? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 yo DS is on his 3rd day of potty training in earnest. He does very well when naked from the waist down, but always pees in underwear whether thick trainers or thin tighty types. It is getting chilly out and I feel bad for him running around half naked, although it doesn't seem to bother him too much. I have tried long legwarmer/socks that go up to his rear and he will only wear them a few moments.

In any case, I'm eager to let him wear undies and pants soon. How long do you think he should go before we try clothes? And does anyone have any tips on making the transition smoothly?

We are still putting diapers on him if we leave the house.

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#2 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM

DS went a very long time being naked from the waist down. His main problem with underwear became that he couldn't pull them down on his own-therefore taking away his ability to pee whenever he wanted to. Last winter he was bottomless always at home. The temperature didn't seem to bother him at all. Do you have some soft pants that he could wear? That way he would be wearing something at home. DS never peed in the bottoms when he was wearing them without underwear at home. Different feeling I am assuming.

Good luck!

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#3 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 AM

I never saw the point of going through the naked bottom stage, because as soon as you put underwear on them, they pee as if they were in a diaper and you have to start the whole process all over again. Why not just keep him in underwear or cloth training pants from the beginning? It means you will have to do some washing but at least once he has figured it out, you're all done!

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#4 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
I never saw the point of going through the naked bottom stage, because as soon as you put underwear on them, they pee as if they were in a diaper and you have to start the whole process all over again. Why not just keep him in underwear or cloth training pants from the beginning? It means you will have to do some washing but at least once he has figured it out, you're all done!
:

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#5 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
My son is an all or nothing type perfectionist. If he can't succeed at something at first, he pretty much refuses. So going bottomless is the only way we have had any success and he's really excited about it for a change...he had been on the road to toiletville prior to my dd's birth but went through complete regression refusing to go anywhere near the toilet until now (5 mos. later). We are thrilled that he's finally deciding to give it a go once again and certainly don't want to shatter that confidence by throwing him into undies too soon. Should we just offer them now and then and let him use them when he decides? If so, what seems like a good time frame to start offering the undie use?

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#6 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm potty training my 2 1/2 yr old who is doing amazing with naked from the waist down.... underwear confuses him and he thinks it's like his cloth diapers. I've been chicken I admit to just let him run around in underwear around the house and have to clean up the messes and go places outside but I think I'm just going to do it and deal with the extra clean up. Any suggestions on making this easier would be apperciated! I can say I started training him last week and he started doing poop right away on the potty (little training potty)... but if I put on underwear he thinks he can poop right in it! Any suggestions on making this easier would be apperciated! I'm having baby # 4 early March and I would like to have him out of diapers permanently well before then! (I'm hopeful).
#7 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS went through that stage last year, he would treat underwear like a diaper. I think it confused him having something that snug up against him. I bought several pair of sweatpants and let him wear those without underwear, and he would pull those down to go to the bathroom. A few months later we started gradually having him wear underwear underneath. There were a few accidents, but that was to be expected.

Of course, he still prefers to go commando, but will wear underwear if I remind him.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 PM

My son trained himself - yeah - we seriously did nothing. He just took it upon himself to initiate it and stick with it - at 2 years old!

He ran around naked most all the time, and I noticed that when we did have to dress him, he'd wet the tighter underwear and trainers because I think to him that "snugness" reminded him of diapers and he thought he had a diaper on. I noticed that when he just wore pants with no undies, he was fine. So I know it was that "snug" feeling that was confusing him.

We ended up buying him some toddler boxers online. They worked because they were loose, like a pair of shorts. After about 4 months in those (with no accidents), we were able to switch him over to some boxer briefs.
#9 of 10 Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, before I even got a chance to read the posts on loose pants, my son told me he wanted to put on shorts (we're having a warm spell) and no diaper. So that's what we did and he did really well. He did forget and peed the shorts at the end of the day today, but I figure that's along the same lines of kids getting clumsy when they are tired.

I love the boxers idea, especially since he will be attending preschool soon. I don't think going commando at school would be acceptable.:

#10 of 10 Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 AM

We did the naked thing. By 20 months old, ds could take himself to the potty each time he had to go, without any help from me, as long as he was naked. Getting him into underwear and pants has taken so much longer. I've had the most success when he is wearing pants but no underwear. He is getting much better and going to the potty no matter what he is wearing now. He still has the most accidents when he's in underwear, but they are becoming far less. Often, though, he doesn't want to wear underwear, so I just let him go commando.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page