Toys for 1 year old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am not sure if I should post my question here or in Life with a Babe.
My DD's 1st birthday is coming up. I can't believe she will be 1 soon
We want to throw a little party for her. We almost decided on a restaurant and are still working on presents list.
What should I order for her? I want something that she will play with for some time. What a baby girl should absolutely have?
A play kitchen?
Play house?
Dolls and what kind?
Please help me put together a nice list of toys for DD.
I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Thank you

Oh, we do prefer unusual, developing, natural toys rather than ones you can get at ToysRus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 AM

My dd is 16 months. I like toys that are open-ended, so she can use them for several years. We have a play kitchen because she was always playing with them at friends' houses, but she certainly doesn't play imaginatively yet -- she just likes opening and closing the doors, putting stuff in the cabinets, etc. She only recently started enjoying stuffed animals and I think she will be getting a baby doll for Christmas.

I recommend simple interactive toys, like balls, blocks, stackers, and nesting cups. Does she walk yet? Maybe some kind of push toy, like a wagon, or a ride-on toy.

And, this is not a crunchy toy, but I remembered it from my own childhood, and my daughter has really enjoyed it: the Playskool Popping Pals. At least it is inexpensive and doesn't light up or play music! Actually, although it is plastic and ugly, I like that it is mechanical and not electronic.

I think this is a very tricky age for toys -- they aren't interested in baby toys, and they're not clever enough for toddler toys. Good luck!

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions. Yes, my priority so far is a play kitchen. I can't really afford it myself so this will be on our list

Push toy - a good idea. I should put it down too.

Oh and please just share your kid's favorite toys. Will appreciate any recommendation
Old 11-20-2008, 02:31 PM

we gave ds a teepee for christmas when he was one and it was big hit. he LOVED playing in it and wanted to nap there and the teepee was his favorite place for several years.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM

We got DS this:
http://www.babynaturopathics.com/sho...&idproduct=107

He LOVES it, and so do all the other kids who come to visit. It also makes a good pretend vacuum and lawn mower.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 PM

Building blocks are good. Oompa has a great selection of neat blocks that are affordable.

We got this set and love to play with it with DD. Mostly we build towers and she knocks them over but we do have a lot of fun and the more abstract nature of the blocks is interesting.

Also a crawl tunnel or those pop up play tents are a big hit in our basement. DD loves crawling around in them. They can take up space though, so if you are short on space go with a crawl tunnel.

Playsilks are also a lot of fun. This one is dyed by a wohm.

Books like Matthew Van Fleets Tails are great and very interactive. Definitely heirloom type books.

And I love the Wee Sing finger play cd. Great songs and finger plays to keep everyone busy.

Also, if you don't have a xylophone or harmonica or kazoo those might be fun. I do not like the popular Plan Toys wooden xylophone, the sound it makes is not musical imo. We have a more mainstream one with metal that we can actually play songs on.

HTH
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Building blocks, balls, and anything with wheels are popular still around my house. Play food is a great open ended toy as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
we gave ds a teepee for christmas when he was one and it was big hit. he LOVED playing in it and wanted to nap there and the teepee was his favorite place for several years.
I want to decorate DD's room as a fairy tale and will put a canopy in the room. Teepee will look good in the basement though or outdoors during the summer
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Our biggest hits have been stacking cups and stacking rings.

We thought about a kitchen but decided to wait until he is 2. For a big toy we went with those fabric play tunnels (google pacific play tents for examples).

If she isn't walking yet, a puch cart will be popular.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 PM

DS loves his nesting cups. They have a shape sorter on the top which he also likes. He has a plastic one but I know there are a lot of wood options.

He loves all sorts of blocks and balls. We have something similar to this that he likes a lot. We don't have this exact one but one almost like it.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 PM

This is pricey but I really like it:
http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/...ree%20Shipping

I would definitely recommend a push toy. My son has this one that I bought used:

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Playsko...7221792&sr=8-4

I was surprised how long he enjoyed a push toy even after he was walking well. He loves to put stuff in his toy and push it around.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgorita View Post
I want to decorate DD's room as a fairy tale and will put a canopy in the room. Teepee will look good in the basement though or outdoors during the summer
Some fairy tale decoration inspiration here http://cupofcoco.squarespace.com/blo...om-images.html
I want a girl! Sighhhh.... I love my boys and they do love some things like dolls but girl accessories and clothes and rooms are just so pretty!

For 1yo I suggest this http://www.amazon.com/Voila-Wooden-S...7229640&sr=1-1 Lots of fun, lots of uses.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 AM

The best play kitchen of all time is:
http://www.palumba.com/category/wooden_play_kitchens
We just bought it for ds and dd as a joint gift and the realitives went in on it too. Palumba also has other great toys too, I highly recommend them!!!! I think all the wood toys are made from cherry and made in the USA. Their waldorf dolls are really nice too. They are made fair trade in peru.

Good luck

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Mine's 18 months now, but the big favorites are her little dollies and her bristle blocks.

For dolls, she's been liking these really, really tiny ones - they are felt and were meant to be finger puppets, but I think she likes them b/c they're easy for her to pick and and manipulate, easier than a full-size baby doll. I am planning on getting her some dollhouse type furniture for them soon, but in the meantime she has a great time pretending with objects from around the house. She puts them in a box (=crib) with a washcloth (=blankie) and goes "shhh" to put them to sleep; she puts them in a little cup (=learning tower) to watcher her "work," she puts them in a little toy car and "drives" them around; she gives them rides in her little wagon; she makes them dance around; she feeds them with her own sippy and baby spoons. She didn't start doing this until recently though, more like at 16 months than 12 months.

Bristle blocks - again it's more recent that she's started to really enjoy these, but she plays with them for a long time every day lately.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgorita View Post
Yes, my priority so far is a play kitchen. I can't really afford it myself so this will be on our list
Also a great idea! If for whatever reason you don't get one (or don't get all the pieces you want), you can always make one. I just make a "refridgerator" this weekend. I took a big cardboard box and left one side open, for the doors. Then I put a medium-size box in sideways and duct-taped it to the bottom, to make a shelf. I did cover the inside in wrapping paper to make it look nicer. (I'm going to do the outside too eventually.) Then I put in her play food and an empty milk carton. BIG HIT. She spend half the day yesterday pouring "milk" into a sippy for her dollies, opening and closing the doors, getting the food out and putting it back.

I plan to make a stove too!!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmom06 View Post
The best play kitchen of all time is:
http://www.palumba.com/category/wooden_play_kitchens
We just bought it for ds and dd as a joint gift and the realitives went in on it too. Palumba also has other great toys too, I highly recommend them!!!! I think all the wood toys are made from cherry and made in the USA. Their waldorf dolls are really nice too. They are made fair trade in peru.

Good luck
thanks for the link
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ds (12months) loves his building blocks...I don't have a link for you, but I got them at Target, and they're big "Lego-type" blocks that are big enough to not be a choking hazard.

Also, his daddy loves them, too, so that's one thing they do together a lot. And it's definitely something that he can grow with until he's old enough for Legos.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for such wonderfull suggestions.
This is what I'd definitely ask for:
shape sorter
nesting cups
blocks
kitchen accessories
push cart or wagon
tent with tunnel
definitely playsilk
Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just ordered this sand table for my 3-year-old and 16-month-old for Christmas. I'm so excited to get it, I think they will really love it.

DS's favorite gift on his first birthday was a Mega Blocks wagon full of those big chunky blocks. He uses the wagon to haul all kinds of stuff, and he actually sits and plays with the blocks. He has a Fisher Price Animal Sounds Farm, and he loves to stuff all those Mega Blocks into the silo of the little farm.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 PM

We adore this doll stroller. We got it for DD for Christmas when she was 16 months. It gets lots of play time from DD (now 27 months) and from friends that are 2-5 too.

For DD's first birthday we gave her this music set. The drum is very pretty and works well with hands or drum sticks and the maraccas are great - they feel good in your hand, the perfect small smooth size and make a nice soft noise. The castanet isn't wonderful, but I still think the set is well worth the money. I would highly recommend musical instruments for a 1 year old. They can bang them around now and slowly work up to making music as they grow.

I agree, blocks are great 1 year old gifts and they also really get DH and I involved in play with DD.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 PM

since her first bday, dd's most used toy has been an activity table by parents/battat. although it is all wood, i wouldn't say it's unusual as my parents got it at target. she also had a love affair with a gertie ball colored like a soccer ball. but has returned to the tried and true cube.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 AM

DS loved this when we got it for him when he was about 9 months old.
http://www.growingtreetoys.com/produ...-supermaze-toy
He is 2 1/2 and we still play with it. Now, instead of just moving the beads, he names the colors, pretends the beads are cars or horses, has races, counts them, and does all kinds of spaceship kinds of play with the beads (they become rockets, moons, and comets)

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM

student momma to two great girls

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM

DS is 2 y/o now but at 1 y/o he got a little Radio Flyer scooter that he has loved and all his toddler buddies fight over (we've taken to hiding it when other kids come around). It wasa really awesome toy.

We got him a walker when he was 9 months and it was popular for a while but the thrill wore off quickly. The scooter is used pretty much every day.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Unless you think that this birthday will result in larger than usual gifts and you really need to play ahead, then I would skip the play kitchen. That is likely to get more use and be more exciting to a 2 or 3 year old.

shape sorter - pay careful attention to the age range on this, many are quite advanced

nesting cups - ikea makes the MULA set that is very very inexpensive and non-toxic

blocks- great, either wooden or the larger size of Mega Blocks, although this is probably at the later part of 1-2

push cart or wagon -- is DS walking? if not the Radio Flyer walker wagon is a nice choice

push toy - we loved this one http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/...alk%20N%20Roll

One of our favorites, we play with all the time in different ways http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/...ier%20Couleurs

Pounding toy, such as this http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/...Hammer%20Balls

Tower Nesting blocks, such as these http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-W...0372671&sr=8-5

Stacking toy like this http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-5...0372671&sr=8-3 or http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-5...ref=pd_sim_t_1

Some sort of music-making something

Some of the better online toy sellers have good skills based organization. moolka.com or oompa.com etc Regardless of your budget, it is worth taking a look to give you an idea.

Of the toys above, the nesting cups, tower nesting blocks, the haba peg set, and triple stacking set got the most use. A LOT of use.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 AM

We have this shape sorter by Plan Toys, which I think would meet your criteria http://clean-green-fun-llc.amazonweb...B0001VUNV4.htm. Am very pleased with the company because I emailed them that I had lost a part and they sent a replacement free of charge! DD loved the bottom which springs down -- sadly she has outgrown it. so yesterday i got this one by Melissa and Doug (more challenging, cheaper) http://brighterstarts.biz/Shape-Sort...B00005RF5G.htm the top comes off so it does not have to be played with "properly" which makes me kind of because she is beyond the filling and spilling stage.

on the wagon/push toy thing, don't dismiss this http://www.kaplantoys.com/store/tran...ogle&WT.srch=1 just because it's available at your local TRU. it's a two-fer -- a wheel toy and a building toy.

for a kitchen, we have space constraints, so we went with a tabletop stove: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2825731

User Tag List