Yellow spots on teeth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS (12months) has a yellow spots on his front top teeth, right where there's a slight indentation in the front of the tooth (if you touch your tooth with your nail, you can feel it - near the gums). We brush his teeth twice a day with toddler toothpaste, and I've even tried to "scratch" it off with my nail, but it won't come off...I can't imagie what they would be stained from. Any suggestions on how to get his teeth clean and white again?
#2 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even though you've been brushing his teeth really well, it might be a cavity. I'd start looking into finding a good pediatric dentist ASAP.
#3 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Both my 2 dd's had this on their top 4 and bottom 4. I've seen all dentists in NYC and they all said it must be genetic. Their spotting started on the bottom, and over time grinded down naturally. If they grinded down to the point near the root, I would have intervened. I still have no exact diagnonsis, but decay. Every dentist did mention, it would have happened if I brushed religiously or not.
#4 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Sometimes too much fluoride can cause spots. Is the tootpaste with fluoride? Do your LO drinks fluorinated water?
#5 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

We just started the toothpaste (no fluoride) in hopes of getting rid of the spots...before we were just using a toothbrush with water. We drink spring water at home, and ds only drinks tap water (fluorinated) when we eat out. I'll make an appt with the dentist then...I thought decay would start around the edges of the teeth not in the front...
#6 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Get to a dentist. My ds had the same thing at about 20 mos. It was the start of decay. He did need fillings, but since they were front teeth, they were able to do white ones to preserve his smile. Also look for a dentist that doesn't fully sedate your child. We had an oral solution that made him drowsy but not out. then they put him in a "burrito wrap" and went to work. It still was pretty traumatic on me, but my ds didn't remember a thing. He didn't even show a bit of anxiety when we returned for the follow up.

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#7 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 01:25 PM

My DS has yellow spots on his teeth. His dentist says they are evidence of some physical trauma or illness went the tooth was developing. (pertussis in our case). The body leached calcium and minerals from the developing teeth causing the weak, yellowish spots.

The spot are far more prone to decay so you have to be mindful of them, but there really isn't anything else you can do about them.

There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen~
#8 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Get to a ped dentist ASAP
This is how ds's decay started. If you get it soon enough hopefully you won't have to go through what we did.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#9 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM

It sounds like tooth decay to me. There are many threads like yours in the dental forum here.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#10 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I've made an appointment. Unfortunately, the dentist that was recommended to us won't see anyone younger than 3, and I had to make an appt with someone else.

The dentist I made an appt with asked me if I breastfeed at night and said that could be one of the causes and to try to stop doing that...
Any thoughts on that? We cosleep, so usually it's an all night diner.
#11 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM

While I don't think nursing causes caries, I think once caries have started I don't think nursing helps.
We decided to partially nightwean ds.
At first I cut down nursing to twice a night.
Then we nursed, brushed teeth, then he'd nurse again at 3am. Soon it was 6am. And now it is 7:30am.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#12 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
While I don't think nursing causes caries, I think once caries have started I don't think nursing helps.
We decided to partially nightwean ds.
At first I cut down nursing to twice a night.
Then we nursed, brushed teeth, then he'd nurse again at 3am. Soon it was 6am. And now it is 7:30am.
Ds falls asleep nursing...I'll have to think how to get him to fall asleep some other way...we've tried just rocking, walking, dancing, but he just gets very frustrated.
#13 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Ds used to fall asleep nursing too. I thought it would be an impossible transition but it took about a week to get him from nursing with the light off to nursing with the light on.

I started the transition by rubbing his back while nursing him to sleep.
I tried to change the nursing time by asking if he wanted stories first or nursing first. He usually chose nursing first, so then we'd turn out the light and I'd ask if he wanted his back rubbed. He'd say no and say he wanted to nurse. I'd tell him we would nurse in the morning and I could rub his back or tummy. He'd fuss for about 5 minutes then he'd say yes to a tummy or back rub. He'd sleep for 2 or 3 hours then wake and I'd treat that as 'morning'. Each night he seemed to sleep longer, so 'morning' became later and later if that makes sense.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#14 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Ds used to fall asleep nursing too. I thought it would be an impossible transition but it took about a week to get him from nursing with the light off to nursing with the light on.

I started the transition by rubbing his back while nursing him to sleep.
I tried to change the nursing time by asking if he wanted stories first or nursing first. He usually chose nursing first, so then we'd turn out the light and I'd ask if he wanted his back rubbed. He'd say no and say he wanted to nurse. I'd tell him we would nurse in the morning and I could rub his back or tummy. He'd fuss for about 5 minutes then he'd say yes to a tummy or back rub. He'd sleep for 2 or 3 hours then wake and I'd treat that as 'morning'. Each night he seemed to sleep longer, so 'morning' became later and later if that makes sense.
It sounds like your ds was probably a bit older than mine is now, but it does give me hope. I'll try doing the back rub tonight. Thanks!
#15 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM

He was 14 months.

You can always try and if he's not ready, stop what your doing and try again later. I'm always amazed what ds is ready to do and I wouldn't have known unless I tried.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#16 of 23 Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Even though you've been brushing his teeth really well, it might be a cavity. I'd start looking into finding a good pediatric dentist ASAP.
ita!! this is what happened to us!! yellow spots that ended up being on the front top teeeth
#17 of 23 Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Hey also, post your questions regarding cavities and night nursing in the breastfeeding forums...there are some knowledgeable ladies over there wtih lots of links and info regarding this issue. Make sure NO dentist tells you to wean!!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#18 of 23 Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 AM

I took my DD to the dentist for this just last week! She's 20m and has yellow ridged spots on her top teeth (the ones just to the side of the front teeth). The dentist told me that it's a defect in the enamel, probably as a result of illness when she was a baby or an illness I had while pregnant (this is what I think it was, as her twin sister has spots as well - her appt is next week - and I had cholestasis when I was pregnant).

He did tell me that the enamel is probably weaker in those spots than the rest of her teeth so good brushing is essential to keep decay from forming there. As much as I hate that she has yellow spots, I was a little relieved to know that it wasn't decay as a result of me not doing my job of brushing her teeth!
#19 of 23 Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 PM

My child has ECC and I chose not to nightwean. Human milk does not cause caries - it's not like formula. However, you have to make sure that you do a REALLY GOOD JOB BRUSHING if you are going to nurse at night, because human milk plus food/formula will cause decay.
#20 of 23 Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmamamerina View Post
Get to a dentist. My ds had the same thing at about 20 mos. It was the start of decay. He did need fillings, but since they were front teeth, they were able to do white ones to preserve his smile. Also look for a dentist that doesn't fully sedate your child.
Just wanted to add that if your dentist is still using amalgam fillings, go find another one!! Most dentists that are up-to-date on thier knowledge will only do porcelain fillings now and it has nothing to do with preserving your smile and everything to do with leaching mercury. If only my insurance carrier was so pro-active

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#21 of 23 Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
My child has ECC and I chose not to nightwean. Human milk does not cause caries - it's not like formula. However, you have to make sure that you do a REALLY GOOD JOB BRUSHING if you are going to nurse at night, because human milk plus food/formula will cause decay.
I agree and I will not night wean it's way out of my comfort zone as far as parenting a little one goes.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#22 of 23 Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM

my ds has cavities and we are working on finding another dentist, as the last one refused us treatment, because I wouldnt nightwean, AND use flouride toothpaste.. :
#23 of 23 Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetieberlin View Post
my ds has cavities and we are working on finding another dentist, as the last one refused us treatment, because I wouldnt nightwean, AND use flouride toothpaste.. :
How does a dentist even examine the mouth of a 13month old? I can't imagine my son allowing a total stranger to open his mouth to look at the teeth. Our appointment is on Thursday, and I'm sure the dentist will have some plan for fixing the cavities, so what is the best way as far as sedation? Is it even safe for a 13month old to be sedated?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page