loving family dollhouse or other suggestions for an 18 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think this is too much or too old for an 18 month old? I still cannot decide what to buy her for Christmas! Here;s some things I've thought of but not sure on:

sand/water table - I think she'd like this but I can also see the sand getting all over the floor. We'd most likely put it outside and since its cold right now she probably wouldn't be playing with it till summer.

Dollhouse- I've read lots of posts on toys and a lot of people recommend dollhouses. We don't have any and so I'm not sure if this is something she'll really play with.

mini indoor trampoline-
Would probably take up a lot of room and she's probably too little for this.

new corolle baby doll- She has a haba baby doll and a waldorf baby doll. She doesn't ever play with them so I thought maybe she might like a different type of doll. Since she doesn't play with baby dolls right now she might not play with this one either.

nesting stacking boxes by spiel and holz- I think these are expensive and not sure they are worth it. I was wanting do buy 1 big thing and maybe a couple of smaller things though.

kinderkram noah's ark- I think this is a beautiful set. Its expensive. We have a wooden kitchen, wooden playstand, wooden food, and lots of other wooden toys she barely plays with so I'd probably be disappointed if she didn't even play with this.

I need help! I've been spending hours online looking at amazon and I just don't know what to get. dh says just go with the dollhouse. I think he's just saying that so I'll quit looking around.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#2 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She probably won't play with a dollhouse much right now. I'd wait on that.

My daughter LOVED her noah's ark set around that age. She played with it for a good long time. I ended up handing it down to a nephew, but I regret it.

If she isn't playing with one baby doll, I wouldn't get her another. She might very well play with them when she gets a bit older but I'm guessing you want to get her something now.

She might feel bad about getting a sand/water table if she can't use it for a while.

How about a good set of blocks? Or do you already have one? And play kitchens and tea sets are good for that age too.

Also, Little People are beloved at that age.

Doctor kits are fun too.

And Duplo blocks.
#3 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

How about a good set of blocks? Or do you already have one? And play kitchens and tea sets are good for that age too.

Also, Little People are beloved at that age.

Doctor kits are fun too.

And Duplo blocks.[/QUOTE]

We have a few sets of haba blocks. She has a wooden kitchen. She doesn't have a tea set. We don't have any little people, doctor kit, or duplo blocks.

#4 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

any other ideas? if you think that my ideas will work just tell me!

#5 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to put my loving family dollhouse up on the top shelf because my 18mo daycare babies were going to break it. They keep trying to crawl in it or stand on it. I think it's best for a child around 2 1/2 to 3 years old.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#6 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 PM

The Noah's ark is a great idea.

Other hits at that age at our house: baby-safe stuffed animals, a plastic wagon full of blocks that she could either pull or ride like a kiddie car (I think it's fisher-price), one of those "ball-popper" push toys, board books, bath toys, a shape sorter.
#7 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 PM

It doesn't sound like you are really sure or excited about any of those gifts. My DD was 20 months last year. Big hits for her were her tea party set which included 4 place setting and silverware too. She has played with it almost daily for a year. Also, a felt board and pieces, doctor kit, wooden puzzles, and art supplies such as playdoh, paint, glitter and glue have gotten a lot of use this year. She is getting a dollhouse and blocks for this christmas. Also she likes the big cardboard brick blocks as well, we have been using those to build houses for her stuffed friends. What does she play with? Would she be into more boy toys like trucks, etc.? We also have a little tykes cozy coupe car and she plays with that alot, in my experience all little ones love that, even though they mostly just get in and out of it over and over again until they can push it with their feet.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#8 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

The ideas I have above all sound good.. its just I want to make sure they're something she'll play with. Or maybe I just need to get over it and just buy whatever. She plays with anything. She will not play with her kitchen unless someone else is playing with her.

#9 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM

There is a Fisher Price Little People dollhouse, too, that might be more age-appropriate. It's a lot cheaper, too, at around $30
My kids just love the Little People and at 10 months, they are already my dd's favorite thing to play with. My 4 yr old still likes them, too

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#10 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM

I'd definately wait on the doll house. We want to get dd one when she's three.

Dd loved her sand/water table at that age - she still does. They also work with rice, which would be easier to clean up than sand

What about puzzles? A set of wooden animals or people? Puppets. Playsilks. A drum or a whistle.
#11 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
I'd definately wait on the doll house. We want to get dd one when she's three.

Dd loved her sand/water table at that age - she still does. They also work with rice, which would be easier to clean up than sand

What about puzzles? A set of wooden animals or people? Puppets. Playsilks. A drum or a whistle.

She has puzzles, playsilks, drum, and whistle. I think she might like some animal figures. I think she'd like the sand/water table too. She loves it when I gave her a bowl with water ,measuring spoons, and some other type of liquid or solid. i can see her making a big mess but it would be easier if i used rice like you mentioned.

#12 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My daughter didn't play with a lot of stuff yet at that age. Sounds like you have some really nice stuff that will get a lot of play in a year or two.
For us, we've found simpler is best when they are small, stuff like balls, stacking toys and maybe a bed or stroller for her doll might be nice. Riding/pushing toys were big with my dd and nephews when they were that age.
You could just get clothes and other useful things too.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#13 of 22 Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM

I too say wait on the dollhouse.

18 month olds love to push and pull things. Does she have a pull toy? What about a push toy? We're getting this one for our 18 month old: http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/1411/...p=c3E9cHVzaA==

And a friend is getting this for him as well: http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/9788/...p=c3E9cHVsbCs=

A Noah's Ark set would be nice, because toddlers that age love putting things in something and taking them back out again. If you aren't quite convinced it's worth spending $400 on (yikes!), then what about something cheaper? (Esp considering that those pieces appear very fragile for a little one - narrow, thin legs, tiny staffs, etc.)
http://brainwoodentoys.com/pro1360816.html
http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_product.php?id=1138
#14 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 01:21 AM

you can do a sand and water table inside. Last winter I would fill the table with just water and put some towels down on the kitchen floor and she would go to town. We also did rice, but I recommend beans instead, rice is still a huge PITA to clean up if you have carpet.

#15 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 AM

holy crap that noah's ark set is expensive. I see you have older kids so you probably already have tons of stuff for her. The other option would be to get her, well nothing, or almost nothing anyways. She is so young and doesn't get christmas yet, I would save your money. Alternatively you could get the family a gift of a zoo membership as her present, wrap up a stuffed animal for her, or donate money to charity in her name, something like that. But if you can't really find something you'd think she play with then don't buy her much at all. Wait a few months and then maybe you'll have a better idea of toys she likes. I would just go with some clothes, a few books, a new ball and call it a day.

#16 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 AM

Tiny shopping cart, crayons, legos, blocks
#17 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 AM

I got my dd the doll stroller from Nova Natural when she was just a little younger than your dd. It has been a huge hit and is played with almost everyday. She also loves her shopping cart.

I would wait on a dollhouse until next year.

The Cozy Coupe car mentioned above has always been a favorite of my kids. It is a must have IMO. Our Sand and Water table has also always been a favorite. I love some of the ideas for making it useable inside this winter.

The Noah's Arc is such an awesome toy. I just don't know that you would see the same amount of play from it quite yet as you would some of the other suggestions.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#18 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm going to throw in a different opinion here.

My own dd is 18 months, and her play therapist and I have decided that a dollhouse at this stage, without a lot of accessories, would be a very good toy for her. For the first year or so it will be a 'play together' toy that I will have to use along side her, but for her, for a lot of reasons, it is probably a very good ideas. If you think that your dd really might get something from a dollhouse, I say go for it. Just because you give it to her doesn't mean you just set it up and let her 'have at it'. You can find opportunities for play together until she's a bit older.

Anyways, I'm giving dd the calico critters deluxe village house and a family of cats... no accessories though, that will come later when she' ready.

http://www.amazon.com/Calico-Critter.../dp/B00004U31Z
#19 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 AM

I vote for the sand table! You can put all kinds of stuff in it. If she still eats things you can use things like oat meal and corn grits. Toddlers LOVE sensory play. If you do in on a hard surface floor its really not that mess or hard to clean up. I would skip anything she already has(like another doll) and even the doll house unless its a very basic one like the M+D fold and go one or the little people one. I think a child would get more out of some of this stuff at an older age. What does your DD like? Would a ball make her perfectly happy? How about a small indor ride on toy? a wagon/doll stroller she can fill up and push around? Puzzles, Duplo's, stacking/nesting toys (you can find these in the 20-30 ish rangeI just saw a cute set on amazon), art stuff, Chunky crayons and markers, finger paints, possible an easel, music CD's, simple dress ups she can do her self. Another thing my kids always loved at that age was a small slide/climber for inside. If space allows it I would get something like that for the winter instead of a trampoline.
#20 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for not giving up on me lol

The ride on is a great idea. She likes to sit in her sister's toy mustang. It would be great if I can find a good one that will work inside. Does anyone like the wheelie bug, I think that's what its called? That calico critter house is really cute. She has a push toy and a pull toy. She also has a doll pram that she likes to get in and have me push her around in. She'll throw her dolls out of it! lol I'm going to narrow it down somehow from this list: sand/water table, ride on toy, noah's ark, dollhouse, stacking toy, and/or art stuff especially for her.

#21 of 22 Old 11-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
Thanks for not giving up on me lol

The ride on is a great idea. She likes to sit in her sister's toy mustang. It would be great if I can find a good one that will work inside. Does anyone like the wheelie bug, I think that's what its called?
The Wheelie Bugs are one of the only toys in this house that are used every single day, several times a day. We also have wood floors, so that helps. Honestly, they are one of the best things I've ever bought - every one of my kids has one and the 18 month old took to it about 3 months ago and thinks it's the coolest.
#22 of 22 Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My inlaws have a wheelie bug and it got (maybe still gets) tons of play. When we all lived together it was a fought over toy because they liked it so much.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page