Can you give Pedialyte for an "everyday" drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just curious...

My DD was sick this past week and didn't eat or drink much of anything for several days so we were giving Pedialyte to rehydrate and give some electrolytes back to her. It got me to thinking, can you give it for a daily drink? Kind of like a Gatorade or something? Just curious...I think I know the answer, but it never hurts to ask the great mama's of MDC!!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#2 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 01:01 PM

I personally wouldn't... It's fairly "salty" and is used for electrolyte balance...I would imagine it wouldn't do such great things if your electrolytes are already in balance. But then again, I also wouldn't recommend gatoraid as a daily drink either. :

That, and pedialyte is horribly expensive...

I don't think it would hurt her per say. But I don't think it would do any good and could possibly throw her electrolytes out of balance.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
I personally wouldn't... It's fairly "salty" and is used for electrolyte balance...I would imagine it wouldn't do such great things if your electrolytes are already in balance. But then again, I also wouldn't recommend gatoraid as a daily drink either. :

That, and pedialyte is horribly expensive...

I don't think it would hurt her per say. But I don't think it would do any good and could possibly throw her electrolytes out of balance.
That's what I thought. I was just wondering, I guess. She doesn't get Gatorade either, I was just using it as a comparison. Thanks for the input!!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#4 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM

I don't know why you'd want to. I don't think it would make her sick or anything, but I think plain water, or milk (if your family drinks milk) are better. It's just sugar water with some salts in it, and most kids don't need extra sugar and salt when they're healthy. And as pp noted it's expensive.
#5 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM

I would not give it to dd. It is made with artificial food coloring, which is not good for developing little bodies!
#6 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM

: Artifical flavors and colors. It's all fake stuff. Yuckola! I actually don't give this to my littles even when they are sick. :

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#7 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
: Artifical flavors and colors. It's all fake stuff. Yuckola! I actually don't give this to my littles even when they are sick. :
Same here. The artificial sweeteners are also nasty, IMO.

Quote:
Fruit Flavor Liquid: (Pareve, (U)) Water, dextrose; Less than 2% of: fructose, citric acid, natural and artificial fruit flavors, potassium citrate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium and Yellow 6.
Grape Flavor Liquid: (Pareve, (U)) Water, dextrose; Less than 2% of: fructose, citric acid, potassium citrate, sodium chloride, artificial grape flavor, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, Red 40 and Blue 1.
Bubble Gum Flavor Liquid: (Pareve, (U)) Water, dextrose; Less than 2% of: fructose, citric acid, potassium citrate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, artificial bubble gum flavor, sucralose, acesulfame potassium and Red 40.
Not something I find remotely healthy. Sorry.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#8 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've only bought the unflavored kind, as my kids react HORRIBLY to synthetic dyes.

I've never found much use for it, really. Sick infants get breastmilk. Sick toddlers or older get tea with honey, diluted juice, or soda (free of artificial colors and flavors.)

If you use the kind with added dyes and synthetic flavors and sweeteners, it CAN cause damage. Many kids get "hyper", and have a hard time focusing, listening, folllowing directions, etc, when under the influence of food chemicals. I don't know if this can cause long-term brain damage or not, but it can certainly cause short-term damage in terms of the child's ability to learn, your relationship with your child, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page