Sept. 2007 - Happy Holidays! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I had typed out all the personals I was thinking of as I read through the thread...

I do remember a couple...

Falicia, I love your pics! You have gorgeous eyes!

beemama, I'm so sorry you missed your flight! I've had friends do that. I can totally see it happening with all of the stressors going on with kids, etc. I hope you can get a break.

Today has been very stressful. Sick-ish kids, meetings to lead, and taking tired kids to the grocery... bad idea! Ugh. Not the worst day of all, for sure, but still not great. Trying to figure out what in the world to do with these kids who would rather ignore than obey. And when it's time to nap because they're obviously too tired, throw a fit and fuss for two hours instead of resting. Sigh.

Last night was really nice, though. We went to our church's annual Christmas Jazz Night, where they have food, tables set up for eating and/or games, a dance floor and, of course, a jazz band. We have been taking dance lessons in anticipation of actually making use of the dance floor. Of course, we had child care at the church during the lessons, but not during the event! : So DH and I danced while I wore Judah in a ring sling on my hip. So we got Cute Points even if our dancing wasn't that great.

So DH and I were all dressed up and we hadn't had dinner... Thank goodness for Grandmas! Mom came over an stayed with the kids and we dashed off to a well-reputed steak place we'd never been to. It was AMAZING! We're no strangers to good food, and this was absolutely incredible! It was neat, too, that DH knew someone who works there (he's on our church's worship team and an incredible musician, but also apparently a manager at the restaurant). He gave DH some really good wine on the house. The whole thing was just wonderful! Haven't had a date in AGES, either, so that was great.

Then we came home to discover that the boys (who had eaten cookies at the jazz cafe thing) had been WIRED and completely disobedient the whole time!! : I couldn't believe they'd given my mom such a horrible time, especially after she'd come over at a moment's notice to let us go out. I've sworn they'll have NO sugar forever. Or at least a week. Or maybe a month.

We went and cut a tree on Friday (so jealous of the one who can go into the forest to get one!), which was great. Judah has now learned to say "tree". And he's learned not to touch it, too, especially after he was flailing around near it and fell in. : The prickly pine needles may not have been much to his fingers, but didn't feel very good on his face! It's all decorated within a day or so of when we got it, which is quite the record for us! I think last year it was about 24 hours per step.

We had our friends over last week and had a lovely time. Though their little guy (21m) scratched the tar out of Judah's face. He's looking SO much better now, but it was really awful looking that night and the next day. The biggest scab came off today (yep, broke the skin in several places). It's so hard because of course a little tiny guy doesn't understand so there's almost no way to discipline for it. They felt awful. Hopefully now that he's healing AND we have our tree up and decorated, we can take our Christmas pictures! I need to get those done so I can design our cards and get it all done!

Gotta start baking Christmas cookies soon... Need to get it all out in the next 10 days. Yikes! Just have to figure out how long they're good to sit before shipping. Hmm...

Okay, gotta run! It was great to read everyone's updates, though!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#62 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HeatherB - hope you have a better day today

Katie - to your hospital

Today's plan - homeschool, bath for the kids, ds's jujitsu. I hope to leave a little early for jujitsu so we can go to a store and the kids can pick out an ornament. We have a tradition where they get to pick a new ornament every year. I also need to get to work addressing the Christmas cards - who knows when that will happen. I want to get photos posted for you ladies, but dial-up is sooo frustrating!

Children keep distracting me, so I forgot what else I wanted to say.

Mama to three  
#63 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM

My step-dad just called and said the news reports a possibility of snow flurries tomorrow.

:

And the high today is 81.

I'm hoping they're right 'cause it might put me back in a Christmas mood! C'mon, cold front!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#64 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM

It's so hard for me to be in the Christmas spirit without snow. I grew up in Wisconsin - there was *always* snow at Christmas. Then we moved to the San Francisco Bay Area where there was *never* snow. It never really felt like Chrsitmas. Now that we're in the mountains there's sometimes snow and sometimes not. It snowed here in September, I believe, and in October too. But there's no snow now. A lot of times therre's not much snow until the day my parents want to leave, then they get snowed in at our place . This year we're going to their place, maybe we won't be able to come home It's cold here, though. (Nothing like what Falicia's got I wish it were either cold and snowing or warm and not snowing. Cold and not snowing is like the worst of both worlds.

Mama to three  
#65 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM

Heather though the mundane details are slightly different your life sounds about like mine. Not so bad if the kids would behave consistently well. We were all dressed up from the photo taking and I wanted to go out but dh didn't think his brother could cope with needing to change a diaper so we didn't make it out.

Dh tried to burn the house down last night. We had a talk about how I make such awesome healthy meals and when I don't he takes the kids to campus dining or taco bell, both of which will kill you in no time at all. So he decided to make creamy lemon pasta while I was out. (butter, heavy cream, cheese and a little bit of lemon - now that's healthy. He melted the butter and realized we were out of cheese. He turned off the stove and left for the store only he turned it to high and left. The house still smells terrible but luckily no injury or real damage was done.

Yesterday we had snow today we have 50's and rain. blechy. I have my photo cards finally. Well, enough to start. I didn't actually figure out how many I need before ordering so I got a bunch and will re-order if I get these addressed.

Linus still isn't really walking though he can stand. He is napping today and I should do something productive with the time. Dh has a 7pm final so I will be alone for bedtime which is chaotic on a good day.

I think I'll make a pot of and get off my before I have to :.

Jeanine, I am ignoring all pulls toward another baby. It is crazy talk.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#66 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Christmas cards - I need to figure out how I'll get Liam to sit still long enough to take a picture.

Christmas cookies - Thank you for reminding me of this Heather, I planned to make a bunch of peanut butter cookies for Andrew to bring to work.

I get so tired of cooking all the time, especially when nobody but me likes it. Andrew is really picky and if he had his way he would eat subs, pizza, and Chinese food every night. On the rare chance that he does cook we end up with burnt grilled cheese and canned soup The one dish he does like a lot that I make is affectionately known as "heart attack pasta". A pound of bacon, linguine, onions, garlic, cheese, more cheese, chicken stock, cheese, 4 eggs, oh and don't forget the green vegetables: A handful of parsley

Today it was strangely warm, it looks like it should be freezing out but it was 65! In December!?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#67 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 PM

heart attack pasta

Wendi...
Are you out there? I was so excited I finally ordered some enwrapture skirts and now they are almost here. I wish I could help you sort.
How is Kaija doing?
How are you doing? What winter holidays do you celebrate?
What are doing keeping so quiet?
I know this looks like a pm but we all want to know.

jeanine, heather, katie and I can't really keep this thread going by ourselves though we do try.

#68 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
heart attack pasta

Wendi...
Are you out there? I was so excited I finally ordered some enwrapture skirts and now they are almost here. I wish I could help you sort.
How is Kaija doing?
How are you doing? What winter holidays do you celebrate?
What are doing keeping so quiet?
I know this looks like a pm but we all want to know.

jeanine, heather, katie and I can't really keep this thread going by ourselves though we do try.
The real name of the recipe is pasta carbonara, I found it on The Pioneer Woman. I haven't had a chance to look through all the recipes on there but I assume they're not all so unhealthy

Where are you Wendi?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#69 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 AM

I heard from Sunshine today. She says hi to you all and sends her love. She's really frustrated with the dial-up she has at her mom's. (I can totally relate

Wendi - yup, we all want to know. And we all want to see pix.

Mommajb - maybe I should send out "mundane detail PMs" to everyone who doesn't post. What do you think?

Mama to three  
#70 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 AM

Christmas Cards - I have all the paper to make ours myself, but I've been avoiding it. We're debating about whether or not to include pictures of Ezri. We're already so far behind they might not go out until June.

Snow - We've had a fair amount of snow but no sticking here. Today it's just raining - so not Christmas-y.

Christmas Trees - I'm so jealous of all of you with trees and lights. Ours has been up a week - a pre-lit hand-me-down from my mom - and still isn't lit. The bottom strand is out and I haven't bothered to try to fix it yet. Don't even ask about ornaments.

Katie - That is crazy about you having to fight with your hospital. I really hope you kind find somewhere to go that doesn't give you a hard time. After we moved, I transferred to an OB practice - pretty much the only thing around here, pretty mainstream. I had heard that the dr. I was seeing was very laid back, and was pleasantly surprised when he refused to do an ultrasound at my 18 week visit. Apparently they only like to do it once so they wait until after 20 weeks so they can see everything they need to. He barely asked if I wanted any testing done. My previous OB - who was part of a practice of midwives - had opted not to do a pelvic exam since he knew I wasn't at risk for anything and thought it wasn't necessary to put me through it. My new doc never said a word about it and is opting not to do one either. I can't imagine how a hospital could say that a healthy pregnancy that is being monitored by a midwife - not to mention a woman who has already been through it once - is negligent. Well I can imagine it, but it's still ridiculous.

Mommajb - Glad to hear your house survived DH's dinner! Gotta love the effort though.

Heather - for date night! Isn't it nice to get to eat a whole meal without having to share with a little one? These days I have to hide in the kitchen just to get through a bowl of cereal so that Ezri doesn't beg for it like a puppy. :

My youngest sister had her baby yesterday. An 8lb. 8 oz., 22 inch girl named Madison. She was week overdue and went into labor just hours after they scheduled her induction for Wednesday. The birth was amazing. She used the same midwife practice that I had seen with Ezri and the midwife that delivered her was one of my favorites. I was so proud of her - this pregnancy was a major surprise since she is 21 and in college, but her and her boyfriend were such a great team through the birth and over these first hours/days. She is having trouble nursing but has been pumping and her boyfriend is really encouraging her to keep at it, even though my mom is telling her to 'just give her a bottle'. Seeing the whole birth process again made me so excited for this new little one to get here! I miss nursing a newborn!

Now a question - does anyone know much about RSV in LOs our kids' age??? With Ezri being a preemie, we opted to have the boosters every month last flu season (they work differently than actual vaccinations and are much safer). They had told us she probably wouldn't need them again this year, but it would depend on if it was a 'bad' flu season. Well, a little girl at her daycare - about a month older than Ezri, a 30-week preemie - is now in the hospital with pneumonia and RSV. Our sitter has been sterilizing/bleaching EVERYTHING, but I'm worried that if Ezri was exposed, she is at a higher risk because she was last year. Any thoughts/experiences/opinions? I don't want to go through the boosters again because Ezri is already showing dr. anxiety after all the visits for ear infections, but I also don't want her to end up in the hospital. We don't do flu shots either.

Well, there is my contribution to keeping the thread going...

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#71 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 AM

Mamas, if you haven't already, please check out this thread and the related links and articles... I have some info in my blog, as well. Very scary stuff. (Not the give-you-nightmares kind, but the change-our-lives-forever-if-it-goes-wrong kind..)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1008155

#72 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM

I wanted to comment on pasta carbonara. We used to make it something like this - cook canadian bacon or ham (better for you than bacon but bacon works very well) add chopped onion and saute until starting to brown. add white wine to deglaze the pan and add flavor (the alcohol will cook out). Meanwhile cook pasta. mix 'sauce' with pasta and a raw egg or two with pasta toss until egg is scrambled top wwith chopped parsley and parmesan cheese. you could scramble the egg in with the onion if you are worried about the rawness. Carbonara with less heart attack. I am not responsible for errors as we are vegetarian.

#73 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM

serial posting because nobody else is up yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
I heard from Sunshine today. She says hi to you all and sends her love. She's really frustrated with the dial-up she has at her mom's. (I can totally relate

Wendi - yup, we all want to know. And we all want to see pix.

Mommajb - maybe I should send out "mundane detail PMs" to everyone who doesn't post. What do you think?
Hi to Sunshine and I think pms are a stupendous idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
Isn't it nice to get to eat a whole meal without having to share with a little one? These days I have to hide in the kitchen just to get through a bowl of cereal so that Ezri doesn't beg for it like a puppy. :
I hate the begging combined with not eating in the high chair. I hide too - it makes me feel like am sneaking food or cheating on a diet but I hate the constant 'sharing'. Do I sound like a 3 yo?

::
Congrats to your sister. I hope breastfeeding settles down soon.

I don't really know but it is my impression that the older they get the safer they are. Just being upright and more mobile is better at keeping the cold from settling into rsv and pneumonia - I am thinking about bed-ridden patients being more likely to get sick than others and older babies having a more developed immune system. I wish I had better answers as they obviously can still get sick.

Katie, I don't even wabt to get started thinking about obs. hospitals and such. I really have to disassociate to get through it all anymore. :

#74 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Mamas, if you haven't already, please check out this thread and the related links and articles... I have some info in my blog, as well. Very scary stuff. (Not the give-you-nightmares kind, but the change-our-lives-forever-if-it-goes-wrong kind..)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1008155
I've seen this, there is a huge thread over on DSD about it since most of us are WAHM's. I'm still not clear about what clothing items are involved either. I honestly find it to be too vague to say whether or not it will effect WAHM diaper makers, I think over time it will be much more refined because their definitions of what types of clothing are going to be tested doesn't really suggest that it would be cloth diapers. Right now they're still trying to determine if they'll allow 3rd party testing, so if I buy from Joanns I may be able to get the paperwork from them and not have to do my own testing. The downside to this is that the cost of my materials is probably going to SKY ROCKET. What I think personally is that PUL for sure is going to need to be testing, whether they'll allow 3rd party testing I have no idea.

#75 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 PM

today's plan - homeschool, clean the hamster cage , and I really need to do a load of light clothes. we'll see about that.

Mama to three  
#76 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
today's plan - homeschool, clean the hamster cage , and I really need to do a load of light clothes. we'll see about that.
You have the most exciting life. Maybe I need a hamster.

I am in the middle addressing holiday cards. No letter, just a photo this year as usual.

#77 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Did lots of packing today, tomorrow I'm taking down the Christmas tree and starting to demolish the kitchen and garage.

That carbonara recipe is similar to The Pioneer Woman recipe but I like the idea of using ham or Canadian bacon better, I think I could also use prosciutto. I'm not sure why it calls for so many eggs in that recipe.

I have cookies to make for a Christmas party next week, I'm so glad because I don't think I have time or patience to make anything else.

I have to complain about the new internet explorer, I HATE it. None of my pages ever come up right and neither does my email, I always have to switch to compatibility view. I'm going to switch back to the old IE.

#78 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You have the most exciting life. Maybe I need a hamster.
Clean the hamster cage - that's code for wash the diapers.

My MIL (speaking of exciting lives) emailed me a picture from their Thanksgiving. Of their turkey (dead and cooked). I'm vegetarian. Maybe someone else would get excited seeing a photo of someone else's Thanksgiving turkey (doubt it) but I think it's . And on top of that, I have dial-up. It takes like 20 minutes. ANd then I'm rewarded with a photo of a dead turkey. Thanks.

Back to school......

Mama to three  
#79 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 05:49 PM

I must need to strip the diapers. I spent all of our LLL meeting checking inside Linus's diaper. He was so stinky!

I just sent Ian around the block with Linus in the stroller. :
Charlotte is painting in a coloring book with water paints. :
Alice is upstairs not cleaning her room.
Helen is cleaning up her room.

Now why didn't I know you are vegetarian? It is like a secret club. Is your whole family? Do we have this in common also?

My new wood floor has to be removed to fix the subfloor. The leak cannot be found but mold was so we need to redo the half bath. While under the house the contractor noticed that the sump pump is not working. We'll be getting one of those also. Merry Christmas.

Katie, Firefox has not been my friend lately. We were getting a new computer soon. See above. :

#80 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, why do the unexpected financial issues comes up at the worst times. I'm going to tell Andrew to download firefox tonight, that is was we normally use.

One really good thing about the new house is that we should have more consistant hot water that doesn't take all day to heat up. With the central air heat/cool it takes an entire day to heat up the tank and I eventually run out of hot water to wash diapers, so they're not getting as clean as they should be.

#81 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Let's see - I've been vegetarian for .... well, since I was 18. I'm not going to tell you how many years that is . Growing up we had "meat, potato and boiled-to-death veggies" for dinner. But I didn't really like meat. If it was in a hamburger, along with ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles etc it was fine. Or on pizza, or in tacos... But if it was *just* meat, I didn't eat very much of it. It was very hard to be vegetarian with my "if you don't eat meat you'll die" parents - but I went to a *very* liberal college and was able to become vegetarian while there.
My whole family is *not* vegetarian. But, dh eats what I cook. He only gets meat if he cooks it or we go out. DS was vegetarian until about 5. DD1 started eating meat when she was three. I'd prefer they don't eat it until they're older - but..... . They don't eat it very often, since I don't cook it. Jamison is vegetarian. I don't know for how long.

I need to strip my dipes too. I just don't know how.

In our last house we had the world's largest hot water heater. Now we don't, but we have the world's largest tub. It seems our tub and water heater are about the same size. I'd like to get an on-demand water heater for the tub. Generally, the hot water heater is fine. Just not when I want to take a big ol' bath (not like that really happens. I think I have 17 more years before I'll actually get to do that regularly. Gives us time to save for the on-demand heater I guess ).

Mama to three  
#82 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Mommajb - here's another thing we have in common. My dh tried to burn the house down the other night, too. His mishap involved a bucket of what he thought were *cool* ashes from the woodstove on the carpet. Luckily I smelled it. And it was on a remnant on top of the real carpet. So while it did melt a 4-inch by 6-inch whole in the remnant, at least the real carpet is unharmed.

Mama to three  
#83 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM

We are all veg of some sort here. Some of us eat healthier than others, some of us are closer to vegan, some of us are pigs.

There are some things we do not want to have in common. Burning the house down is one of them. I will assume from the lack of info that everyone is okay.

I could help with the stripping but so can the diaper forum. Do you have a dishwasher? (We live in the stone age without a dishwasher, ice maker, microwave or garage door opener.) Apparently we also live without a sump pump or solid subflooring. All that and my wish list for a new house starts with things like a mailbox at the front door instead of at the curb.

#84 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM

:: It's snowed here!!!! ::
:::::

That's what we've been doing outside - dancing and running around in the snow. Gabriel had classes at the science museum today so we were further north and east, in town, when I heard word that it was snowing on the northwest side. Not long after I heard it was snowing on the southwest side, where I live! But I was in the central part of town! So we skipped going to (my beloved) Container Store and headed home. NO precipitation for most of the drive. Then, right at the edge of our city limits, blowing snow!! REAL snow!!

Yep, we live in Texas and it hasn't snowed since December 24, 2004. So we're very excited to actually see it and run around and play. Even if it didn't stick to the ground. Much. But it stuck to the roof line! And a few tree-mulch areas...

Here's proof of our wintry precipitation, which really was SNOW:
http://flickr.com/photos/jeremey/3099173142/
:::::

#85 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Heather that center snowflake is incredible!
Christopher Robin and friends are adorable!

I need to call my brother. He lives in Dallas or is it FW? I don't really know. I have an email in to find out so that I can mail Christmas cards. He bought his house a few years ago and I go through this every year.

#86 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
There are some things we do not want to have in common. Burning the house down is one of them. I will assume from the lack of info that everyone is okay.

I could help with the stripping but so can the diaper forum. Do you have a dishwasher? (We live in the stone age without a dishwasher, ice maker, microwave or garage door opener.) Apparently we also live without a sump pump or solid subflooring. All that and my wish list for a new house starts with things like a mailbox at the front door instead of at the curb.
The house and people are fine, just a big melted hole in the remnant-rug.

I've gone to the diaper forum to try and find out what to do, but there's so many ideas I don't make any progress. We do have a dishwasher. [No icemaker. We have a microwave. We have a garage, but no doors yet, and so no opener . No sump pump - but no basement, either. The subfloor is all good - as you'd expect from a one-year new house. Our mailbox is at the PO. There are some mailboxes at the "entrance" to our "subdivision" but there's a waiting list. The PO is actually closer to dh's office than the mailboxes are to our house, so it's not as inconvenient as it sounds. We're in the stone age because we have no cable/satelite tv, no radio stations, no caller id or call-waiting, we have dial-up (, and no cell coverage at our house. A friend gave us an extra dvd players of hers, or we'd probably not have one of those yet ]

Yay for the snow! : It's just cold here - but no snow yet. I should check the forecast. OOH! Chance of snow for the weekend! :

Mama to three  
#87 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 PM

no cable or satellite, no caller id or call waiting, we do have dsl internet and cell at home but not on the road between home and dh's office. how does that work? I can't call him and ask for things on the way home. How did he get so lucky? We do have also have a wii. That is Wendi's influence. No grand-babies yet and no kids past puberty either.

It is going to hover around freezing and precipitate tonight which means simply a cold wet mess all over the place but I'll probably have to scrape windows or drive v-e-r-y slowly in the morning.

I have a very cute little cape cod from 1950 and I am craving a 1 year old house right now. Tomorrow I get a hole in my bathroom to the outside. Yea for me.

On the skinny pant issue I measured ds1. He is 5'3", not quite 80 lbs, and has a 23.5" waist. He needs a 14 super-duper extra slim pants and they are only long enough because they hang so low. If they fit he would need a 16. When we met dh wore a 29 32 pant. I think he is a 32-34 now. My brother is 6'4" and 165 - my mom says their legs look like spaghetti noodles.

#88 of 169 Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo for snow!

We're getting a rain storm here currently, I don't know if they expect snow or ice tonight but its been so warm lately I doubt it.

Stripping diapers - This is what I do, nothing fancy at all. First, check your laundry detergent. My website has a good list located under washing instructions of diaper safe laundry detergent. Next, it could be that the detergent isn't washing out properly, so throw everything in the washer and run several hot washes in a row. If your water is like mine it will probably take you all day to do it. You can put in a squirt of dish detergent during the first initial wash and that really strips any stink out, then just do 2 or 3 (or 4) hot washes without soap. If you go a few days between washings, take a wipe and put a couple of drops of tea tree oil on it and that should help. If washing isn't an option you can boil water on the stove top and clean them that way.

Also, do you know if you have hard water? Sometimes that can make them stinky as well, so cleaning the inside of the dryer and washer periodically can help because that can make diapers smelly over time.

#89 of 169 Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 AM

I looove my new house! I guess in some parts of the country manufactureds aren't any cheaper than a stick-built house, but here in CA they're sooo much cheaper. Granted, the flooring is cheap-quality. But we have small children, so we'll just let them trash this cheap stuff, and then when they're older we'll get something better (hopefully hardwood). I imagine your cape cod has a lot more "personality" than our house, though.

We might still have dh's old Atari . I can't remember if we got rid of it or not.

How convenient - outside access to your bathroom

Skinny pants - I wouldn't be surprised if ds winds up 6'4" and 165 lbs. When one of dh's co-workers first met ds, she wondered what kind of illness he had that made him so skinny . I think I'm going to look for girls' stretch pants next time we're in a city. At least for around the house.

Katie - thanks. I'll check out your site for soap info. I've washed them (without soap) in hot water repeatedly. I've even heated water on the stove to add to the washer so it's super hot. That improved it, but I can't rememberr if it solved it. It was a while ago - I think I did it right before I put the dipes in storage between dd1 and Jamison. I'll try the dish soap. Any kind? Or does it have to be Dawn? (We use Palmolive.) We do have hard water. Not crazy hard, but hard. You want me to wash the washer?!?! I think I'd rather have stinky dipes, .

There's one spot on the highway between here and town that's on the north side of a hill (mountain). It's very iced over - I'm not sure why (no snow yet). I don't know if it's cumulative frost, or dh thinks maybe there's a spring there (it is called Spring Garden - hmmm) but it's in such a cold area that it's been frozen 24/7 for a couple weeks now. I have to remember to slow it down to no more than 50 on that part of the highway. dh, who actually leaves the house in the morning, says he's been getting squirrely on it. And I think the guard rail has been hit a couple times already.

Y'know, I think we're doing a darn good job keeping the thread going. It's nice when there's others, but I enjoy Katie, Mommajb and Heather too!

Mama to three  
#90 of 169 Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Katie - thanks. I'll check out your site for soap info. I've washed them (without soap) in hot water repeatedly. I've even heated water on the stove to add to the washer so it's super hot. That improved it, but I can't rememberr if it solved it. It was a while ago - I think I did it right before I put the dipes in storage between dd1 and Jamison. I'll try the dish soap. Any kind? Or does it have to be Dawn? (We use Palmolive.) We do have hard water. Not crazy hard, but hard. You want me to wash the washer?!?! I think I'd rather have stinky dipes, .
Any dish soap will work. And yes, I know it sounds insane but using a de-greaser spray inside the dryer will clean it . Just spray it on the cloth itself and wipe out the inside, a lot of dirt and gunk can get stuck in there and cause smelly diapers. Cleaning out the lint vent with one of those pipe cleaner things can help also. To clean the washer, there's a product called RLR that you can use to strip your diapers as well and it will lessen the hard water, it will also help to clean the inside of the washer. Using a 1/4 cup of vinegar in your rinse cycle will also help with the hard water. I've seen others swear by Diva Detergent which you can make at home for cleaning diapers because it helps with hard water, but I recommend stripping diapers with RLR first before using it. I can PM you the recipe if you want it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page