Sept. 2007 - Happy Holidays! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I will go check around for them, Liam is wearing a 7 1/2 XXW but I've been buying him the custom sized shoes from Softstar, I have size 6 feet and Andrew has size 13, he's definitely taking after Andrew. The Softstar shoes are so expensive though, I'd love to be able to find a pair of warm winter shoes minus the $80+ pricetag.

Sunshine - Nice to see an update, I'm sorry to hear about the food poisoning. I've been there before and its definitely no fun at all.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM

katie - those are some feet!

Linus is in about a 5. His keens my inlaws sent for his birthday are 6 but h eisn't walking yet so all will work out here hopefully.

FYI - keens run wide in general and she got a great deal/sale at REI. They might not work for Liam but I know when one dd took a wide at stride rite keens worked out perfect.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM

We had a great Solstice. It was just us and we really enjoyed ourselves. The kids all loved their co-op goodies. I was proud to have not added one plastic toy to our mix!

I seriously hope that things ease up for us. I actually got a full night of sleep for the first time in weeks so am feeling more hopeful today than I have been in a long time.

Mighty-Mama You are always in my heart.

Mrsb

Wendi
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 AM

Merry Christmas Mamas!!

It has been quite an enjoyable couple of days...but long and boy and I tired. Yesterday day was my birthday and my dad had the idea to have a gift savenger hunt at the mall. We all had to draw names and then he supplied the $ and we all had to find something for the person that we drew within and hour. Talk about feeling like the crazed last minute shopper. It was fun in theory, but not fun running around with a toddler with all the truly last minute shoppers. I am throughly appreciative of all the wonderful coop goodies that I got this year for everyone for Christmas.

Love to all!!!

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
Old 12-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Merry Christmas!! I hope everyone's had a lovely one!

I'm with you, Wendi - the co-op goodies we got have made an awesome Christmas! Even with out-of-town family, we didn't get any plastic toys! Well, okay, almost. The IL's gave Judah a set of Crayola painter things for toddlers. But that's not exactly the same as a bunch of plastic junk like we often end up with! And there are three soccer balls made of who-knows-what waiting in a box, that I couldn't bear to put under the tree. They're from another out-of-town relative, and look to be promotional items of some sort. They're bright and fun looking, but (A) I don't need three soccer balls being kicked by 3 boys in my living room; and (B) I'm afraid they're likely vinyl, but don't know for sure. Thankfully the "real" gifts from that family member were all nice classic-style metal toys, which the boys have really been enjoying.

I'm so excited to have more time tomorrow to play with things like the Uncle Goose blocks (which I finally had to open at about bedtime, and are now scattered all over the floor), the doll house and Kinderkram dolls (so nice!!!), and the stocking stuffers I got them from Maple Landmark. So much wonderful wooden goodness!! They've been playing with the dollhouse dolls in their giant wooden train from Mercurius/Debresk. Except Iain put the train up on the bar and then dropped the engine on the *(#$( tile floor. Hopefully it'll be fine when it gets out of Daddy's Toy Repair Shop.

I stayed up to clean up the living room, and instead have sat down and written a blog post about today. Perhaps it'll help my brain go to sleep faster... Ah, well.

Merry Christmas!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

We arrived back in NC around midnight last night. Although it was nice seeing family I don't think we'll be doing that drive again.

Liam did really well with the traveling and slept a lot, he liked seeing all the new people and having new playmates and people to chase him around. My FIL had a blast chasing him around and exploring with him and it gave me some much needed break time. We got a lot of really great non-plastic toys from Oompa and only two plastic toys, one of which is acceptable for bath tub play and the other was accidentally left in Maine (It really was an accident ). He also got lots of books to add to the library and some other good things. I got a few nice cook books so I'm looking forward to trying out the recipes in those.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season and has a wonderful new year!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

We got back from my parents last night. We had a good trip. We got to see a friend from high school who lives on the other side of Canada. We also got to see a friend of DH's from high school who usually lives in So Cal, but is in DC for 1 1/2 years. It was good. The kids got to ride a horse, and play in gma and gpa's hot tub. They had fun.

Then we came home to some serious major drama . I *hate* drama.

Mama to three  
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Happy Birthday Michelle!

It was Kaija's 17th birthday yesterday. We went out for breakfast and then had a nice dinner at home. It was low key but nice. We are going shopping today as her gift.

Jeanine sorry to hear there was drama coming home. That is no fun!

Katie sounds like a pretty good trip. I know with having Eavan that any trip can go really bad really quickly so I am sure it was a relief that Liam slept a bit.

Heather I am glad the co-op goodies were a hit at your house too.

Dahlia's feet are either a size 3 or 4. The 12-18 mo size I got for her is big. She is just a tiny thing.

Kaija and I went out shopping today for her birthday. It was big fun. She asked for baby clothes for her birthday.

Wendi
Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 AM

We are in Florida celebrating Chanukah with DH's family. Good times.

I wasn't expecting all the photos in the house to be of Chaya and me and Adam. It's sweet and special. We get along quite well.

And

Stupid heartfelt comments were made re: co-sleeping. My attempt at educating and addressing specific fears fell on deaf ears. Sigh.

I'm looking forward to going home. Even tho it's 80 degrees here and below freezing at home

Happy New Year!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Happy Birthday to Kaija!

Falicia - I'm glad you're getting a break from the :. My bro and sil are expecting in Feb. I was talking to my bro a little bit about co-sleeping. He thinks it's sooo dangerous . Hopefully I showed him that it doesn't have to be dangerous.

I decided we're still on homeschool vacation (. I have too much work (house and business) to catch up on. DH is off tomorrow and Thursday, so hopefully I can get a bunch of stuff done and be ready to hit the books again come Monday :.

Do you guys remember my little rant not so long ago about the lady who assumed I could babysit for her because I don't do anything but babysit my own kids anyway? I was talking to her yesterday (she's dh's co-worker) and we were talking about the holidays. She said she was really busy, although they didn't do anything - she's just *exhausted* because her two step-kids (9-ish and 11-ish) are here in addition to her own child (3yo). Then I mentioned how I have a *ton* of laundry to do from our trip to my parents. She said "You're lucky though, because you get to stay home!" Uh, yeah. Stay home with three kids - which you *just* said made *you* exhausted.

Well, speaking of , I really need to do dipes. And then everything else.

Mama to three  
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of happy birthdays!

I'm sorry that woman is so clueless, Jeanine.

I had a yuck day yesterday. I kind of feel like I don't fit into my "role" here and I have no desire to be the generic pampered officer Stepford wife so I feel left out a lot and like I don't have anything in common with anyone. Most of them are into keeping up with the Jones' and maintaining an immaculate appearance with really nice clothes and hair and makeup, I have no idea how to even do that. Yesterday one of my neighbors came by and I was covered in fuzzies from cutting fabric, she was curious what I was making so I explained my diaper making business to her. Her response? "wow that's different." Why is it that whenever I talk about my interests I always get that exact same response, am I that much of a weirdo? Most of the time I'm completely happy with who I am and don't feel like I have to change and that people can accept me for who I am, but I feel like I'm playing a role or a job here and doing a lousy job at it.

That's my complaint for the day

Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM

I love you, Katie! Weirdness, fuzzies and all

I know what you mean about not fitting in. I don't fit in with most of the moms in this town (or any town, probably) That's why I come here. When we were visiting with dh's friend, his wife asked if dd1 is in preschool. I said no. She said "you'll wait till she's 4?""
"uh...no"
and i'm thinking - let's just leave it alone now. because I *really* don't want to have to explain and justify homeschooling.
luckily dh's friend's mom said something about letting her play for another year, and that was kind of the end of that conversation.

The other day (week), I was in the thrift store, and I picked up an angora sweater to make longies. The clerk commented on how beautiful the sweater is, etc. I said "You know what I do with these?" (I've bought sweaters there before and told her what I do with them.) So I told her again. And she said "Well, when I see you I think "good mommy" but I can never remember why." At least someone appreciates me.

Mama to three  
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Katie I love you just how you are!!! I hate not fitting in. I never fit in when I lived in California. I don't necessarily fit in here but there are so many different types of people I get lost in the crowd. I hated standing out like a sore thumb with no make up and comfortable clothes.

Katie

Jeanine it is so ridiculous when people say things like that in the very same breath. Apparently it is easy for you but hard for her, go figure! I guess the grass is greener and all.

Falicia I have found over the years that it often isn't worth trying to convince someone of your position. I just keep doing what I am doing and then when my kids are older and someone comments about their greatness I pop off with something like "yeah must of been all that co-sleeping we did!" I tried for years to convince people and finally gave up and did my own thing. It is so much easier. I guess I am a little bitter huh?

Dahlia is really showing her personality these days. She loves to wear leg warmers and fancy shoes. : She asks to have music on so she can dance. She talks about dogs all day every day. She is also starting to play with toys in an imaginitive way. She has been walking her wooden animals around and playing with some of Eavan's playmobil and things like that. It is so fun to watch her grow. I just adore her. She really loves to snuggle in bed in the morning too. Such a nice change from Eavan bolting out of bed the second his eyes open.

Speaking of Eavan I just have to say how much easier he is to be around lately. His school is just perfect for him and has changed his behavior so much. I can take him places now and he is so much more fun to be with. He tells me funny stories and asks me great questions. He will actually listen to what I am saying and respond back. He is starting to read a tiny bit and can count really high. I love hearing things he has learned at school. I love homeschooling but this has been a new and different experience for me too. Having him in school has its own rewards. I never really got Mother's day cards or anything like that because I would have been in charge of making it. He brings home so great things for me. Montessori really works for him. It is a recipe for success with his learning style. I hope we can continue to afford to send him. I know I have complained about him a lot so thought I would share some of our great progress. Oh and he is 100% out of diapers now!!! : Only one more to go before I am 100% done with diapers.

Wendi
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi wonderful ladies.

I am reading and keeping up.

Linus is taking steps. :

I don't even know what to say right now.
I understand how you feel Katie. I don't fit in anywhere. I feel frumpy, like a JCPenney exploded on me. I am not meeting my own expectations.
Jeanine, I hate when people say things like "I could never homeschool" or "Yu are so lucky to be able to do that" or "I don't like my kids enough to be around them all day" or any other regularly heard gems. I have taken to staring at them blankly until they say more.

I am frustrated by co-sleeping because he doesn't nurse to sleep. He exhausts me and himself then he conks out. Did you see in the latest issue of mothering where Sarah Buckley talked about being in bed for 12 hours when her nights were busy with small children? I get up at 5:30 which means that I should be getting into my jammies soon. That and take a nap for an hour every afternoon. Too bad that doesn't happen here though I do sometimes send a big kid around the block with the stroller.

*I am in pain, I have been to the chiro, the adjustment hasn't really taken full effect yet, I will feel better when it has.* I mention all this to say that when I feel better I bet I won't be so grumpy. I have been running (Remember the c25k Wendi?) and I love it. It feels great and I really enjoy the stress relief, going to the gym alone, etc but apparently it is not a great idea for my body in the long haul. The chiro mentioned that just because I have run over the years does not make it a good idea for my aging body.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 PM

jeanine: the Ils aren't so worried about it being dangerous, but that we're going to stunt her emotional and social development by having her in the bed with us. They expressed this to DH, not to me. When DH told me, I was boiling. I waited till I simmered down (a few days) then I calmly told them about the Okami study and McKenna's research from the 70's, and as soon as I was able to substantiate positive evidence supporting co-sleeping, they completely tuned out.

In all other ways we get along well.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 AM

Wow, I missed a lot. I just caught up by skimming a few pages. We had a nice Christmas, our family lives locally, so we spent Christmas Eve, with my parents and Christmas Day with my ILs. Also, DH aunts and uncles and cousins on his mom's side were up visiting. Milo got a waldorf doll, and a wooden bowl and spoon both from Nova Naturals. He also got toys and books, and my ILs gave us a bike seat for him. That will be a lot of fun to try out. It snowed here a couple weeks ago, and the snow didn't melt for a week, which is unusual. On Christmas morning we had snow flurries, but then it warmed up and melted. Milo is walking really well now, all over the place. He also loves to climb. He just got a premolar on the bottom, and is getting another on the top, so we have had some interuppted sleep at night. He wants to nurse a lot, and when his teething pain is really bad, at night, I have given infant motrin. I have definitely noticed that these teeth seem more painful than his front ones. He has also had a runny nose for two weeks, I think because of the teething. Milo loves looking at books, loves dogs (whenever he sees a dog or a picture of one he says woof woof) and loves to play with cars and trains. We went to Ikea last weekend and bought him a small tent and a rug that has an illustrated scene on it of roads, and buildings and landscapes (for $25) and he plays with his little wooden trains on it. I Love Ikea. Anyways, gotta go for now.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM

more of an update on Linus is taking steps. :

He is walking voluntarily now, not just when we stand him up. Still mostly cruising but he will lurch a couple of steps to reach the next chair or where ever he has set his goal. I love to stand back to watch people learn and grow, develop and change. If gives me such a charge of energy.

Are you getting ready for the new year? I am working on my resolutions today. I'll touch on fitness, budgeting, homeschooling, and probably through in something about positive outlook. I need a couple of good mantras. Style grace and humor has stood me well this year.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, Linus!

For the new year - Definitely a more positive outlook, getting more organized, and budgeting and financial planning.

About not fitting in - Andrew says I need to just "play the game" but I don't want to be a fake or sacrifice my beliefs to do that. For him its so easy to fit in anywhere because he's a people person despite being really dorky, he has well rounded interests so he always has something in common with everybody. I don't think he gets it. I think I'm fairly easy to relate to once people get to know me, but I guess its the whole judging a book by its cover kind of thing.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

New thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1019576

User Tag List