April 2007 - It's DECEMBER!!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 90 Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see a thread, so here it is!

We are doing fine here - getting over the yeasties, and I've lost my voice (teaching does that to you). What is everyone getting your babes for holiday presents this year? We haven't started shopping yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 90 Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 PM

subbing! happy December!
#3 of 90 Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Subbing here too!!

#4 of 90 Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm here too. We just got home last night. Desmond is going to bed at 11pm still, well 12:30 last night, but he napped on the plane so it was a late nap.

As for presents let me see if I can find my list. We are basically done shopping for him, except for the puzzles, which we still haven't decided on.

Bee Wheely bug We got him the large sized one in the bee pattern.

The Kid Tough Camera
since he loves our digital camera and taking pictures with them, but we would rather he not use them since they tend to develop finger prints and be dropped when used by an 20 month old.

A bunch of Duplo since he likes to build and enjoys his Duplo blocks he has now.

A Bilbo since I've heard good things about them and he had fun playing with it in the store when we went to look at it.

Wedgits because they looked really neat and he likes building and knocking things down.

We're also getting him a couple of picture and board books and probably a puzzle set since he seems interested in puzzles now.

We actually got him double on a couple of the toys so we can leave them at my in-laws since the toys they have for him are from last Christmas so they need some toys for a slightly older child. So he is getting a Bilbo and Dulpos and a stacking toy over there as well.

He also got a ton of toys while we were at my parents for Thanksgiving, he got a guitar which he really likes, a cool stacking train somewhat similar to this one, and a remote controlled bug. Those are the toys we brought home with us he also got a bunch we left there because he didn't need more stuff, but a bunch of cars and other plastic toys.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#5 of 90 Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Oh wow, those are a lot of toys Tabrizia! You are one crazy shopping lady!!

We're limiting gifts this year to 2. First of all, for financial reasons, and trying to stay away from overconsumption which is hard with Liam who always wants more and more:. Romi is easy since she obviously doesn't care yet. I'm trying to buy handmade for dh and friends but for the kids, it's harder. We don't have a lot of toys here and I don't think our house is big enough to handle too much stuff

So we got an Okiedog Fropper for Romi and some spiky blocks (I forgot the name). Liam's getting a big puzzle and a magnet kit.
#6 of 90 Old 12-03-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! We have a number that were Ari's, but I think Abby would like one of the ride on toys. Anyone else? Abby is the only one I haven't come up with ideas for.
#7 of 90 Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 PM

I really like the idea of gifting based on getting them: Something they want, something they need and something to read. I heard about it here, and it makes perfect sense to me. So...Ion got a play kitchen (want, for me too), coloured twig pencils (need, he loves to draw but still eats or breaks crayons) and 3 board books. I think maybe one more regular paper book because those are the ones he brings to us to read to him where he 'reads' the board books to himself.
#8 of 90 Old 12-04-2008, 01:23 AM

I like that idea hanno! The kids are getting a play kitchen, too. I'm so excited! Also, got them a mushroom tent for more pretend play. We're trying not to go too crazy, they have so much stuff already. And those two things are big, so Scarlet will get a puzzle, a tuck-in pet (animal will a little pillow bed) and a "trendy wendy" doll, that will help her learn how to button, zipper, tie, etc. (Anyone remember Dressy Bessy? - I'm dating myself! ) and some clothes and jammies. Oh yes, and aprons for each. Hoping accessories for kitchen come from family.

I'm hoping to stash some of their old toys away and eventually send them off to someone else... :
#9 of 90 Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM

We're still working on our toy stash, which is why Desmond is getting so much, we really don't have that much, though at times it seems like a ton. We have gone through his older toys and gotten rid of all the ones we didn't want to keep for baby bean.

Oh talking about baby bean I think we have our name, with 3 backups and 4 if we need to name after relative names on our list as well. We think we're going with Hazel Usha if we don't have to name after a relative. Eloise Asha or Gwendolyn Mira or Jyoti are most likely if we do have to name after a relative.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#10 of 90 Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
Oh talking about baby bean I think we have our name, with 3 backups and 4 if we need to name after relative names on our list as well. We think we're going with Hazel Usha if we don't have to name after a relative. Eloise Asha or Gwendolyn Mira or Jyoti are most likely if we do have to name after a relative.
I really like Hazel or Gwendolyn
#11 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
We're still working on our toy stash, which is why Desmond is getting so much, we really don't have that much, though at times it seems like a ton. We have gone through his older toys and gotten rid of all the ones we didn't want to keep for baby bean.

I like Gwendolyn Mira

And, I am still working on Micah's toy stash, too! I haven't bought him a single toy since April and he is starting to outgrow some of those (though growing in to some of them too). Since his birthday and Christmas are almost at half year intervals, I foresee most of my toy purchases being for one "holiday" or the other. There are so many things I want to get for him that I think would be beneficial in various aspects of his development, it is hard to whittle down too much. We don't have any puzzles, or crayons/craft supplies, or shape/color sorters. Heck, I don't even have any cars for the boy! (though he does have a baby doll much to my mom's dismay ). I know that none of these things are "needed", but I think they can help skills along. I am babbling....did any of that make sense?

I seriously need some sleep. I haven't had a solid night's sleep since my sleepy stage during my pregnancy. And, it has been getting worse, thus my memory and ability to carry on a conversation is getting worse. Micah is STILL not STTN and my worries are interrupting the part of the night where I normally get my unpunctured sleep. Anyone else's kiddo still not STTN?

ETA: And speaking of baby dolls...a few days ago, Micah brought his baby and the baby's hat because he was having trouble getting it on. I helped him out, and handed back the baby. As Micah was walking away, he cradled the baby in his arm and then pulled him close to give him a kiss! It was so sweet!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#12 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 AM

I haven't started shopping yet but I plan to give my 6-year-old girl an mp3 player and my 3-year-old boy a battery operated airplane.
#13 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Yeah, first kids as opposed to second (third, fourth, etc) is not the same. Romi plays with Liam's toys, so she has twice the stuff as someone alone. And on top of it, the kids are so possessive with the freaking toys that I get sick and tired of hearing them fight over toys... So I'm leary of getting more stuff in the house.

Oh Romi is not STTN either. We nightweaned her and it got 80% better, but now that cold season is back, I caved and started nursing her once a night. She goes to bed in her room (she shares a room with Liam now) and wakes up between 11pm-2am. I bring her in our bed and nurse her there and she sleeps till morning. Very early morning

On a side note, it's 15 degrees here today :
#14 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
I like Gwendolyn Mira

And, I am still working on Micah's toy stash, too! I haven't bought him a single toy since April and he is starting to outgrow some of those (though growing in to some of them too). Since his birthday and Christmas are almost at half year intervals, I foresee most of my toy purchases being for one "holiday" or the other. There are so many things I want to get for him that I think would be beneficial in various aspects of his development, it is hard to whittle down too much. We don't have any puzzles, or crayons/craft supplies, or shape/color sorters. Heck, I don't even have any cars for the boy! (though he does have a baby doll much to my mom's dismay ). I know that none of these things are "needed", but I think they can help skills along. I am babbling....did any of that make sense?
Makes sense to me, it is what we are doing though Desmond does have both a doll and cars. That being said we're pretty sure his birthday presents are going to be less then his holiday presents, since we're getting him a toy kitchen for his birthday, and then asking all the relatives for wooden/wool/felt food and utensils/pots and pans. He's outgrown a lot of his toys from his birthday and last holiday as well though, which is why our list is fairly long this holiday.

We do have some art supplies, though he still isn't hugely interested in them yet. We are going to put puzzles on his list for his grandparents and if they don't get them for him we figure we'll get them for him after the holidays, since we're sort of stumped on what to put on the list for them, since they like getting him a bunch of little things, when at this point he just needs one or two bigger things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
I seriously need some sleep. I haven't had a solid night's sleep since my sleepy stage during my pregnancy. And, it has been getting worse, thus my memory and ability to carry on a conversation is getting worse. Micah is STILL not STTN and my worries are interrupting the part of the night where I normally get my unpunctured sleep. Anyone else's kiddo still not STTN?

ETA: And speaking of baby dolls...a few days ago, Micah brought his baby and the baby's hat because he was having trouble getting it on. I helped him out, and handed back the baby. As Micah was walking away, he cradled the baby in his arm and then pulled him close to give him a kiss! It was so sweet!

Desmond is mainly sleeping through the night. He is however not going to bed till late, and by late I mean midnight or later. He did go down at 10:30 last night which was nice, but even that is later then we would prefer. DH is the one that gets him in the middle of the night though, since we did night wean him, so I do get uninterrupted sleep, well except to pee (thanks baby girl for thinking my bladder is a good pillow). He normally just lies down with him and he goes back down though. Which is really nice. Our biggest problem is getting him to bed earlier, he is fairly good about sleeping once he's down now.

And aww on the baby doll!

#15 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Rebekah,

Did you ever get a balance bike? We're looking at one for Abby.

Abby nurses at least twice per night. I'm not trying to nightwean since I WOH and nighttime is when she gets the most milk.
#16 of 90 Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So far I just have an M&D numbers puzzle (Johnny LOVES counting) and a webkinz (came with the puzzle lol) and a surfer rash guard shirt in his next size up (he swims year round). I'm hoping to find a store in NYC that has American/European made toys because my paycheck in 2wks is a little bigger and that should allow for some more gifts. I want o get some play food for his kitchen, a doll and stroller and sling (yes he is a boy but he loves playing with that stuff lol), a book that has to do with getting a new sibling...I'd like to add to his train set some---I wanted to get a train table but they are a bit expensive. Maybe some art supplies too...he loves to color, and use stickers...so I'm thinking maybe some glue and colorful things to make crafts with.

I really don't want too much stuff though..I don't expect I will get all of the above...but will see what I find on good deals lol.

Johnny would still be nursing every 3hrs or so at night but I can't do it (I don't want to it hurts too much and makes it negative) so I'm nursing 1-2 times and he's getting a bottle of cow milk the other times...going ok so far...and I am getting a lot more sleep as well! Actually I think he is waking less as a whole...a bottle just isn't as worth it lol.
#17 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
Rebekah,

Did you ever get a balance bike? We're looking at one for Abby.
No, I haven't. I was leaning towards the Strider, but I have heard negative things about quality of the materials, so I was hedging a little bit. On the thread I started, someone posted a comparison of the different bikes which kind of reaffirmed that. The other one have considered is the Kinderbike, however, Micah is a shorty-pants -- his is only 31" with a 10.5" to 11" inseam (depending on the diaper he's wearing) -- and the Kinderbike is around 13.5" minimum. The Strider was the only chance with a minimum of 11" seat height. Soooo, I think I might wait till his birthday -- with the potential move, it might be better to have less stuff anyway.

#18 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

The person that posted the comparison doesn't post here regularly, so I think they may be promoting something. I'm leaning towards the pv glider. It's minimum inseam is 13 inches - I think Abby's might be 12? She's about 32 inches tall.
#19 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 PM

After I posted, I saw that one too. I like it, but it just won't work for us right now. Eventhough I do see the possibility of her promoting her own agenda, there were people previously in the thread and in a couple of others that talked about the cheapness of the parts on the Strider. If I get one for Christmas it would have to be the Strider (due to smaller minimum seat height), but if I wait until April I may go with another brand like the Kinderbike or the PV Glider.

#20 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Waiting is probably a good idea! I think we'll get one, because we're more likely to have $ now, and also then Ari will "get it out of her system" to ride it - she LOVES playing with Abby's stuff, even though it is "baby" stuff, so by April Abby should get it all to herself!

I'm thinking of a trampoline for Abby too. she has so many toys, but few gross motor skills-oriented toys because Ari was not interested when she was a kid. Abby love to climb and jump, so that is where we are focusing!
#21 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM

I have a balance bike for Liam and there's no way romi would be ready for one. Unless your kid is really physical, it might be difficult for them to grasp the concept IMO. Liam had no interest in his So I'm keeping it for romi.
#22 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM

I just got he coolest thing at a craft show today, it is chalk fabric, backed with cute rain forest fabric and chalk and a little sponge and it all rolls together and is machine washable. So cute, and it used only non-toxic American made products!

It looks a little bit like this
#23 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Ronan may be a bit young for it, but he's getting a train table. Train was one of his first words and he's obsessed with real ones and toy ones. If we go anywhere there might be a train table, he finds it and plays and plays.

I assume he'll just throw the pieces all around and ignore it, but that's fine. We'll probably use some sticky putty to make the pieces more stable (don't want to glue them down permanently).

I'm feverishly cleaning the house and getting rid of crap so that I have room for the thing.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#24 of 90 Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Santa is bringing Ari a new bike, but she is so timid on bikes I'm hoping she will want to use Abby's and then learn to balance and then get use out of her new one. It's all a part of my master plan!
#25 of 90 Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM

Johnny and I are going to a cookie exchange today and he made his own with the leftover dough...soooo cute!! He did pretty well too! I posted pics on my facebook--not sure if you can see it if your not my "friend" but here is the link just in case

MY camera is broken and all my pics have lines...I'm so sad...but looks like I need to send it back
#26 of 90 Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
Johnny and I are going to a cookie exchange today and he made his own with the leftover dough...soooo cute!! He did pretty well too! I posted pics on my facebook--not sure if you can see it if your not my "friend" but here is the link just in case

MY camera is broken and all my pics have lines...I'm so sad...but looks like I need to send it back
SO cute! I added you as a friend in case you are wondering who that Kelsi is
#27 of 90 Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Adorable!! I added you as a friend too!
#28 of 90 Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Very cute making cookie pictures. I was planning on making some sugar cookies and letting Desmond frost them/him right before the holidays.

In general daily life info, Desmond did not take a nap last night, but fell asleep at 6pm, we were so expecting him up at 8pm, he woke this morning at 7:45am! Both DH and I were shocked. He's been eating like a starving Mongolian horde all morning though, I guess to fuel up after those 14 hours of no food.

I need to figure something out with him though, he has been resisting his nap this whole last week, and he still needs it, if he didn't I could deal, but he tends to end up falling asleep for his nap around 5 or 6 and then be up at night till midnight, sigh. Maybe he'll go down decently this afternoon, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

In pictures news, I have pictures up on my blog of Desmond in the snow that fell here Saturday, it wasn't much but there is still a bit on the ground today.

#29 of 90 Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

That is so adorable! I am not much of a cook, but I may have to search out a cookie recipe so Micah can have a go. That looks like too much fun to pass up!

#30 of 90 Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
I didn't see a thread, so here it is!

We are doing fine here - getting over the yeasties, and I've lost my voice (teaching does that to you). What is everyone getting your babes for holiday presents this year? We haven't started shopping yet...
hope the yeasties are going away!

we are also trying to go easy on presents this year.
kaylo--playmobil barn, workbooks and i'm making him a felt calendar (with pieces that velcro on with numbers/days/etc
zenon--playmobil tractor, wooden tools that adam is making and i'm dyeing some playsilks for him.

hopefully my mum will honour my wishes and only get them one toy each--yeah right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
I really like the idea of gifting based on getting them: Something they want, something they need and something to read. I heard about it here, and it makes perfect sense to me. So...Ion got a play kitchen (want, for me too), coloured twig pencils (need, he loves to draw but still eats or breaks crayons) and 3 board books. I think maybe one more regular paper book because those are the ones he brings to us to read to him where he 'reads' the board books to himself.
i like that idea! i think that's what we are doing...without knowing that phrase.

Quote:

ooo, i love those names! all three are great!

Quote:
Makes sense to me, it is what we are doing though Desmond does have both a doll and cars. That being said we're pretty sure his birthday presents are going to be less then his holiday presents, since we're getting him a toy kitchen for his birthday, and then asking all the relatives for wooden/wool/felt food and utensils/pots and pans. He's outgrown a lot of his toys from his birthday and last holiday as well though, which is why our list is fairly long this holiday.

We do have some art supplies, though he still isn't hugely interested in them yet. We are going to put puzzles on his list for his grandparents and if they don't get them for him we figure we'll get them for him after the holidays, since we're sort of stumped on what to put on the list for them, since they like getting him a bunch of little things, when at this point he just needs one or two bigger things.

Desmond is mainly sleeping through the night. He is however not going to bed till late, and by late I mean midnight or later. He did go down at 10:30 last night which was nice, but even that is later then we would prefer. DH is the one that gets him in the middle of the night though, since we did night wean him, so I do get uninterrupted sleep, well except to pee (thanks baby girl for thinking my bladder is a good pillow). He normally just lies down with him and he goes back down though. Which is really nice. Our biggest problem is getting him to bed earlier, he is fairly good about sleeping once he's down now.

And aww on the baby doll!
i wish zenon was sleeping through the night--he's not even close!

Quote:
I just got he coolest thing at a craft show today, it is chalk fabric, backed with cute rain forest fabric and chalk and a little sponge and it all rolls together and is machine washable. So cute, and it used only non-toxic American made products!

It looks a little bit like this
that looks great! what a nice travel toy!

Quote:

ooo--i'll have to add you! i love facebook.

hope you are all having a great december! i'm going to try and check in here more!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page