Am I the ONLY mother who bathes with her kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in the bathtub last night with my two girls, 1 and 2, and the phone rang. Of course I just let it ring because...well..we were having fun After their baths I called my friend back and told her I was sorry I missed her call because I in the tub with my girls. She said "You mean you were bathing your girls?" I said "No, I was in the tub WITH them." Then she went on this rampage of how nasty, yes NASTY it was. She said it was inappropriate (them seeing me naked) and that I was sitting in their urine (umm, how does she know they peed...they probably did, but so what?!) I told her in the end she can bathe her kids and I can bathe mine. Now, DH does not bathe with them, but I always do. I think it is a fun, bonding time and we have fun, plus it is a great way to wash their hair. Am I nuts? Please tell me I am not the only mama who climbs in with their little ones?
#2 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Nope! Do it all the time and lots of my friends do it too.
#3 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM

My 6 month old hasn't had a bath without me (other than the one in the hospital), it's SO much easier that way! My 2.5 yr old and 4.5 still regularly bathe with me and they are all boys. *gasp*

Wouldn't have it any other way!
#4 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 PM

DH and I both bathe and shower with our 3 yr old son.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#5 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM

I absolutely ALWAYS have a bath with my DD who is very nearly 3.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#6 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM

You're not the only one.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM

We do it too.
#8 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Both my partner and I bathe and shower with our son! Fun and good bonding time. How else would I know how much he likes to tickle his tounge by sticking it into the water when the shower is on? How else would I know he wants me to share the experience because he pushes me until I do it, too?!

Water + baby/toddler/child + parent/s = FUN

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#9 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! I am glad. She made me feel like a creepy parent. : I tell ya, I really am the weird one out in my group of friends..the only one who breast feeds, organic, GD, AP, and now the only one who bathes with her children. Maybe I need new friends.....thank god for MDC
#10 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't bathe with my kiddo, but I let him in the bathroom while I'm bathing. I think it has helped him develop a healthy attitude toward the human body. Some of my relatives think I'm encouraging him to be pervy, though. Whatever!

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#11 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Oh wow, I didn't even know it was controversial! My husband and I both bathe with our 4yo son (more frequently my husband than me). I also remember fondly bathing with my mom and sister, right up to puberty (when I no longer wanted to). Many families I babysat for (before I had kids) bathed or showered together, I would learn this from things the kids would say or even from the parents directly.

And don't Japanese families all bathe together- they have special bigger bathtubs just for that.

Sounds like your friend just has her own issues- hang-ups about nudity. There is nothing inherently wrong with nakedness in the bath or out.

dissertating mom to three

#12 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Definitely not the only one. And mine are both boys!
#13 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Dh will often bathe with dd, and I sometimes do. Unfortunately when mama is naked, all she wants to do is nurse, which is okay, but gets old.
#14 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Nope not the only one, and mine aren't toddlers :P

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#15 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM

My two and four year old sons amost always strip and climb in the shower anytime they hear the shower water running. I don't mind it, except I'd ocassionally like a moment alone-- oh well, maybe in five years! Anyway, I think it's absolutely healthy and natural, but I don't go advertising it to others, either.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#16 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 PM

We do it too! We have loads of fun.... plus it saves water and we get two things done at the same time!

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#17 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Both DH and I bathe with DS, and will with DD as well. That being said we don't always bathe with him, but we get so much water on us when we are outside the tub we might as well be inside and getting a nice bath while we're getting soaked anyways. DS didn't have a bath alone till after he was 1.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#18 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bathing with your kids. We do it all the time

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#19 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM

At 1 & 2, how is it inappropriate?

We bathe & shower w/ DS too...he never had one of those baby baths, once his cord fell off, we both take a bath together... much easier then trying to lean over the tub. Now that he's older he often takes a bath by himself too but I'll still get in there with him from time to time....he almost always gets in with DH and I whenever one of us takes a shower just because he feels left out if the water's running and he doesn't get to play.

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#20 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 PM

No, you're not the only one. We do the family bed, we also do family bathing....

I only wish I had a big enough tub for all of us. If I ever get a hot tub, it will be for a family bathtub....
#21 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM

I bathe with my dd about half the time maybe.

When she was really little I bathed her in the infant tub on the bathroom floor. She outgrew that at maybe 4 months. I had a very hard time bathing her in the regular tub when she was unable to sit up unassisted. Plus it was non stop whining when I tried to shower without her (her in her bouncy seat outside the shower). So I started just bathing with her. It was so easy. Now that she is older it's easier to bathe her by herself and I kind of like some showers alone. I bathe with her on the days my husband is at work, and shower without her when he is home to read/play with her.
#22 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
No, you're not the only one. We do the family bed, we also do family bathing....

I only wish I had a big enough tub for all of us. If I ever get a hot tub, it will be for a family bathtub....
:

Also, urine is sterile - nothing unsanitary about them peeing in the tub.
#23 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM

we do it too. dh and i both take shower and baths with ds. if we are getting ready to go somewhere all 3 of us will get in the shower. it's rare though because it gets crowded.

we want to start building a house this coming summer. one of the things we want is a BIG shower with multiple heads so we can all go in.
#24 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM

my ds is 7 now and he likes to climb in with me (or sits on the toilet and chats to me) ds sees me nekked all the time...

I am worried now about him seeing my bf the new baby or even being there while i am in labour (which he wants)

probably have cp on my doorstep

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#25 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I bathe with my ten month old and wouldn't have a clue how to keep us both safe and clean if I didn't.

I stopped bathing with the previous toddler when the tub got too crowded and the two (opposite gendered) kids obviously enjoyed bathing with each other more than they did bathing with me.

As a single parent,it was a safety issue that my kids felt comfortable going into the bathroom even if they knew I was undressed and vice versa. They let me know when they needed more privacy. It was no big deal, just a natural part of growing up.
#26 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM

Well I do know there are a lot of people that think it's weird, but then again they think almost everything I do is weird...soooooooo LOLOL

Anywhoo, yes we bathe w/our kids! I bathed with my son until he was about 7-8, then he decided he was too big. DH and I both shower/bathe with our 7yo DD and w/7month old DD. I ditto the massive tub idea...ours is soooo small! But it's fun, older DD loves it when daddy washes her hair and hates how I do it lol

She mentioned it to a friend once and the friend told her she was gross.

Otherwise, 'tis be normal!

Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#27 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM

DD's had about three solo baths in her life. She loves bath time and lots of water. I love baths too and so does DH so she bathes with us. I also feel like it's safer for her to have a bunch of water (which she loves) if I'm in there with her. She likes to practice blowing bubbles and moving her arms like we do in baby swim class. It's a blast and I love it.

Your friend has some weird hang-ups about nudity. There's nothing nasty about bathing with your kid unless your kid poops in the tub.
#28 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM

funny, i was just about to go take a bath with my dd. That is the only way i know how to get a bath when DH is at work. Why wouldn't you bath with your kids? Taking a bath with my mom, and washing her back and drwing shapes on her back with soap is one of my fondest memories.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#29 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM

I thought everyone did that. Everyone I know, including the most mainstream-of-the-mainstream, does that at least sometimes.
#30 of 126 Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 PM

I almost always bathe with my youngest. He likes it better when I do, he's a little afraid of the bath. I also bathed with my older two when they were younger. We don't all fit so well anymore. All of my kids see me naked. I don't think it's weird , gross or inappropriate.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page