Temp of 103.8 in a two year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Other than waiting and warm baths, what should/could I do.

+ + =
#2 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Tylenol? This happened to my son last winter when he was around 12 mo. We were in Canada without any health insurance, and we couldn't get our Dr friend on the phone. So we did the bathes, took the clothes off and gave tylenol. It took an hour or so, but it did come down.

Good Luck!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#3 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 PM

It was suggested to me that wearing a wet t-shirt and wrapping up in a blanket can bring down fevers without causing shivering.
Maybe post in Health and Healing for homeopathic suggestions?
If you have a healthcare provider that you trust I would contact them.
Hope your toddler is feeling cooler soon...
#4 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Along similar vein (sp?), a wet washcloth on the forehead or other part of the body helps break DD's fever whenever it gets high. I second the Tylenol. Our ped says to try not to use Tylenol on most fevers, but at anything over 103 go ahead and dose the kiddo up. I think they want to prevent febrile seizures.
Have you called the nurse/ped oncall? They usually give us great advice.
~maddymama
#5 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 AM

A few months ago DS's fever shot up to 107. We ended up in the hospital. It went from 103-107 pretty fast. So I would really watch it. I was really freaked out. I did the cool wash cloths, cool baths, tylenol and Motrin. Many of the doctors are now saying Motrin is safer than Tylenol. You can actually alternate between the two. The Motrin worked so much better than the Tylenol for us. It ended up being a throat infection and it just went away by itself.
#6 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 AM

I would give motrin and contact my hcp.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#7 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I gave DS motrin and bathed him in tepid water. DH is putting him to bed and once he is asleep I will recheck his temperature.

He is active and playful. I have a head cold so perhaps he has caught my bug.

I have yet to call his doctor, because I knew that temps under 104 are generally not serious. DS is voiding and acting normal. I am concerned, but not overly worried right now.

+ + =
#8 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 AM

Personally, I would try to do nothing for a fever below 104. Normally a fever is exactly what the body should be doing in the presence of a infection. Every time my son gets a fever, I read Dr. Mendelsohn's book "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp This has always been helpful to me too. Sometimes I give Motrin though, as I know how uncomfortable it can be to have a fever. Dr. Sears also has a really good dosing guide for Motrin based on weight.
#9 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 AM

Aw, I hope he feels better in the morning

#10 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 AM

I'd do nothing overall but just cuddle him and make sure he's getting plenty of fluids. I wait 3 full days before I worry about a fever because that's how long it takes for a virus to run its course. After 3 days, it could be bacterial, so it's worthwhile to get them checked out. Incidentally, we've never had a fever go beyond 3 days... I never give anything to try to bring it down. I am careful not to overheat them, though. Once, when dd was cosleeping still, she had a fever of about 103, and she was sleeping between us under a warm blanket, and our room got very warm. She woke up very, very hot. We actually went to the ER because we felt we'd overloaded her system since she already had a fever. They sent us home to wait for our doctor to open. Well, when the doc opened, they wanted to do the classic three tests: x-ray (for bacterial pnuemonia), catheter (urine, for UTI), and blood work (for white blood cells). We let them do the catheter (but we were really unhappy about it and wouldn't do it again.), and then the blood work. We declined the xray until after the blood work came back because if she didn't have a high WBC count, then she didn't have bacterial pneumonia and didn't need the xray. That's why I would have objected to the UTI test, too. It was invasive and necessary ONLY if they needed to find out why the WBC was high. Turns out, it wasn't high. So, although she was hanging on to a temp of 104-105, the doctor said not to worry about it since "all the bloodwork was clear". Hmmm. Sure enough...3 hours later, and 3 days to the hour, her fever broke and she was fine. Lesson learned. Now, we wait.

In fact, ds had a fever (of 102-103) for 2 days earlier this week, and now dd is in bed with her turn of it. She's 3, and it's about 103. I check on them more frequently, and like I said, be sure they are drinking lots, but other than that...let it run it's course.

JMO.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#11 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM

There is no reason to do anything. Medically- fever itself does not need to be treated. That is not a high fever for a toddler either.

We don't treat fevers medically. If it seems particularly high or the child is uncomfortable, I try to reduce with WARM (not cool or tepid) baths.

-Angela
#12 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 AM

We don't treat fevers either. Lowering the fever negates its purpose. Fevers are healthy and I promise you all that treat them that if you try NOT treating them, you will see the illnesses overcome much faster. I've repeatedly seen 103, 104 fevers vanish in 24 hours, and I firmly believe it's because I let the fever do what it's intended to do, which is to kill off the offending organism. It's hard to watch little ones suffer, but it's such a relief when it's gone in a day versus a week.

I do give Infant tylenol for severe teething pain. I would also give it for other pain not involving illness.
#13 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 AM

I don't treat all fevers, but if the kids are exceptionally uncomfortable I treat 'em and we've never ever had a fever last more than 24 hours either.
And fwiw, I check fevers in Celsius, so 103 is not that high then? I usually treat at 39.

#14 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

DS has not had a fever in almost 2 years, so I have forgotten a lot. The last time he had a fever and a runny nose he spent 4 days in the Hospital with RSV, so I am somewhat concerned. This will be day two so hopefully by Thursday his fever will disappear.

+ + =
#15 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
I don't treat all fevers, but if the kids are exceptionally uncomfortable I treat 'em and we've never ever had a fever last more than 24 hours either.
And fwiw, I check fevers in Celsius, so 103 is not that high then? I usually treat at 39.
39 C = 102.2 F

103.8 F= 39.89 C

There is no reason to treat a fever other than comfort.

-Angela
#16 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
... catheter (urine, for UTI), and blood work (for white blood cells). We let them do the catheter (but we were really unhappy about it and wouldn't do it again.), and then the blood work. We declined the xray until after the blood work came back because if she didn't have a high WBC count, then she didn't have bacterial pneumonia and didn't need the xray. That's why I would have objected to the UTI test, too. It was invasive and necessary ONLY if they needed to find out why the WBC was high. Turns out, it wasn't high. So, although she was hanging on to a temp of 104-105, the doctor said not to worry about it since "all the bloodwork was clear". Hmmm. Sure enough...3 hours later, and 3 days to the hour, her fever broke and she was fine. Lesson learned. Now, we wait.
I wonder why they had to do a catheter to test for a UTI. We are going through a UTI right now for the second time and it has never been an invasive test - just testing urine.

TO the OP - How is your son doing? If he has no other symptoms (like he's getting a cold or virus), please take him in after 2-3 days. I always thought behavior was the biggest indicator of illness but after going through what we are with DD I will not follow that advice anymore. Although it's much less common in boys, he could have a UTI which needs to be treated with antibiotics, left untreated could lead to kidney scarring. My DD is getting kidney ultrasound this week b/c of a UTI. Not trying to scare you, but err on the safe side.

\m/

#17 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

DS had a temp like that once - we gave him Motrin (Tylenol doesn't last as long as Motrin), cool wash cloth and plenty of TLC! He broke the fever within 24 hours.
#18 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Temp-Assure by Herbs for Kids

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#19 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
I wonder why they had to do a catheter to test for a UTI.

Easy. Because babies & small children often can't pee on command.
#20 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

DS fever is down to 101.3.

His urine is clear. Would a UTI cause his urine to look dark?

I truly think that he has a nasty cold. I have had a cold for over a week, and now Ds is congested with a barky cough too.

His eyes are not draining, and he is not complaining of ear pain so I am going to wait and see. If his temp is still high tomorrow night we are going to the doctor on Friday morning.

He has not had any motrin or tylenol today, so the drop in temp without meds is assuring.

Thank you for the advice and recs.

+ + =
#21 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM

this is dd today. I give tylenol or motrin if she is is discomfort which she was this morning. I try to push liquids to keep her hydrated. We did a brief tepid bath and then she has just been snuggling and sleeping. I won't give any other meds unless she is obviously in discomfort again because it is important for the fever to do its job. Hope your little guy is feeling better!

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#22 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Ds has a fever of 103* right now (I temp in C but understand it better in F) We're on day three, and if he's not better tomorrow, than we'll take him to a doctor. I think it's a sinus infection as he's goo out the ears and the nose and the eyes.... yuck.

We don't medicate for fevers, but do for discomfort. (I figure that if he's so uncomfortable he can't sleep or eat, then I should do something about it.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#23 of 46 Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM

I usually medicate if fever is over 102F and child is uncomfortable. You can alternate between motrin (every 6 hrs) & tylenol(every 4 hrs). Doctor's visit if fever lasts more than 3 days. Don't worry as long as child is acting, drinking and urinating ok (more than 6 wet diapers in 24 hrs). Kids tend to decrease their appetite when sick, but as long as they are drinking that should be ok. Fever tends to dehydrate kiddos rather fast, so pushing fluids is very important. If a kiddo less than 24 months is brought into the ER with a fever over 103 and nothing else is going on, we usually do a Cath to collect urine, if the urine is negative for UTI then we do blood work. If fever and cold symptoms we do X-ray, if fever and dehydrated we start IV fluids. I hope your kiddo feels better soon....
#24 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 AM

See, I really disagree with the statements about medicating a fever when a child is "uncomfortable". Bottom line is, you're still negating the purpose and efficacy of the fever, and the child is going to be sick for significantly longer because of this, causing far more discomfort in the long run. I apply the same principles to myself and it never fails, high fever for 1 day, then poof. I'm back to work, yet when my coworkers catch the exact same thing at the exact same time, they are out for a week. Let the body heal itself, and the discomfort will be fleeting.

Again, I want to emphasize treating discomfort or pain not related to ILLNESS is an entirely different matter, and I do not hesitate to give my children or myself pain relief in this type of instance.
#25 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post
See, I really disagree with the statements about medicating a fever when a child is "uncomfortable". Bottom line is, you're still negating the purpose and efficacy of the fever, and the child is going to be sick for significantly longer because of this, causing far more discomfort in the long run. I apply the same principles to myself and it never fails, high fever for 1 day, then poof. I'm back to work, yet when my coworkers catch the exact same thing at the exact same time, they are out for a week. Let the body heal itself, and the discomfort will be fleeting.

Again, I want to emphasize treating discomfort or pain not related to ILLNESS is an entirely different matter, and I do not hesitate to give my children or myself pain relief in this type of instance.
I agree with that in general, however, for me when they're young, its a fine line to walk because they dont really have a choice. I can decide if the pain is worth it, they arent able to. I have medicated my ds a couple of times for a fever....he was 4 or 5 months old, and it was 105. I medicated because he hadnt slept for more that 5-10 minutes at time for a day. At that point, I felt a slight break in the fever would give him some rest so he could effictively fight. Also, I didnt continue treating the fever. I let it climb back up to finsh its job. This happened again about 3 weeks later so I did the same. Both times it was three days of fever, with one day really high (104.7-105) and the rest of the time was 102-103.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#26 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post

That was my original thinking, but when I went to find real research to back it up, I couldn't... now, that said, I still haven't used meds with either kid yet....

If you have good research showing that, could you link it please?

thanks!

-Angela
#27 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrightmama View Post
It was suggested to me that wearing a wet t-shirt and wrapping up in a blanket can bring down fevers without causing shivering.
Maybe post in Health and Healing for homeopathic suggestions?
If you have a healthcare provider that you trust I would contact them.
Hope your toddler is feeling cooler soon...
Yes this does work. Gandhi wrote about a fever remedy they used to use in India where they would wrap the whole body in wet cloths until it came down. Not comfortable, but it works.

I've found that Motrin works better for fevers, but that's in my kids. Still, if Tylenol isn't working I'd try it.

I hope your little one feels better soon...I had a 103 fever last March and it felt like I was dying
#28 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
I agree with that in general, however, for me when they're young, its a fine line to walk because they dont really have a choice. I can decide if the pain is worth it, they arent able to.
I understand what you're saying completely. But it's usually not really "pain" you're dealing with when it comes to fevers. Just being uncomfortable. And I'd rather see them uncomfortable for a day than uncomfortable for a week, like all the other kids I see. But I can see what you're saying and empathize with your feelings regarding the issue. I fully realize my take on it is quite different and not well accepted.
#29 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
That was my original thinking, but when I went to find real research to back it up, I couldn't... now, that said, I still haven't used meds with either kid yet....

If you have good research showing that, could you link it please?

thanks!

-Angela
Oh no Angela, I don't have any links or research to back it up -- honestly I just deducted it from my medical background, and it makes perfect medical sense to me. And for us, it works. What can I say...
#30 of 46 Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 AM

If he is active and playful, I'd let him be. DD frequently runs 104-105 fevers; some kids just run hot fevers. If you try to bring a fever down too quickly, you run the risk of febrile seizures.

If he is uncomfortable, medicate. When DD is running high fevers, I only give meds when she is hurting, and then I usually just give 1/2 dose, which usually seems to do the trick. In a fever that high, a dose of tylenol or motrin will not bring down the fever enough to make it not serve it's purpose, but it will make your little one comfortable so that he can sleep and help his body heal faster.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page