Puzzles at 18-20 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious what types of puzzles your 18-20 month old can do?

No real reason just interested!~

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#2 of 28 Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM

My son is nearly 21 months, and can do the large wooden shape puzzles pretty easily. He can also do the "put the shape into the correctly shaped hole" type of puzzle. I haven't tried any other type with him yet, but he is getting a six piece puzzle for Christmas. I am not sure if he will be able to do it, but I sort of feel like it is the next step up.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#3 of 28 Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 PM

I think my DS at that age was just starting to do the puzzles w/ a picture w/ a big wooden knob right around that age.....or M&D wooden "chunky" puzzles

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#4 of 28 Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 PM

My 22 month old dd isn't particularly interested in puzzles of any sort. We have a couple Melissa and Doug "puzzles" that have three large pieces with wooden knobs and pictures of the pieces beneath the actual pieces. She doesn't really care about them. I'll have to sit down with her tomorrow and see if she can do it, because I haven't prompted her to try in a while.

We also have a shape sorter that is quite difficult. She likes to do it with my help. She can't really figure out which piece goes where or even that she may need to change the orientation to get them to fit.
#5 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 AM

My 20 month old hasn't really been exposed to puzzles or shape sorters yet. They will both be under the tree Thursday morning, so I will have to report back then!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#6 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 AM

Neither of my kids could do puzzles at that age. They can pick the right piece, and orient it correctly, but they don't have the fine motor coordination to get it in just. the. right. place. They get frustrated and have no fun at all, lol. I think my toddlers just lack the patience for puzzle
#7 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 AM

DS, who will be 3 in February, is just getting really interested in puzzles now. DD, though, who is 4 now, was given one of those big floor puzzles with 24 pieces for Christmas when she was 17 months old. As she adores her aunt and uncle who gave it to her, she insisted on pulling it out and trying it. She did that puzzle every single day for about a month, first with some help, and soon "by my own self." In her bedroom, in the kitchen, in the bathroom--any level surface was fair game for the puzzle.

She's always been a pretty focused kid, though, and very driven. Early on she understood "match up your colors" and how to twist pieces around to try them in a specific spot. Puzzles were just something she really latched onto. I'm thrilled; I love them, too.
#8 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 AM

DS (18 mo) can do the peg & knob puzzles easily, as well as some of the chunky wood puzzles (few pieces, with picutres underneath).
DS (4 yo) is doing 60+ jigsaws. By 24 months, she was doing 12 - 20 piece puzzles.

We own a puzzle shop though, so they've been immersed in puzzles since birth, haha.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#9 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM

My just-now 19month old likes the big knob ones, but can't fit most of the shapes in. He gets the concept but his motor skills aren't quite there. We have the Melissa and Doug shape one, and he likes putting the circle in Circles are easy, you don't have to turn them any specific way, as opposed to that pesky octagon
#10 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM

DS is 18months and loves to play with Melissa and Doug chunky puzzle pieces. He's not too interested in putting it together even though he loves cleaning up of all kinds.
#11 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM

18-20mo she was getting into the knob puzzles. She could easily match them to the right place but needed help orienting them the right way. She liked trying the shape puzzles (do we ALL own the Melissa and Doug cube? lol...) but wasn't able to find them all. She loved trying, though, and that's how they learn!

Now at 24mo knob puzzles are 'too easy' but she still loves hers. We have an alphabet shape puzzle (no knobs) which she loves, and her latest thing is exploring symmetry with it... seeing which letters can be flipped end-over-end and still fit in the space! She has the shape puzzle mastered and can name many of the shapes (we also did some Montessori-style shape matching with those pieces).

She got the Melissa and Doug shape clock for her birthday and has conquered that. She loves her shape... um.. what to call it... it's a stacking sorter, one circle, two rectangles, 3 triangles, 4 squares,and 5 pentagons, they each stack onto their specific pegs. She can do that in under 30 seconds, she's a machine.

We tried a multi-piece puzzle around 22mo but it was beyond her and she wasn't very interested. I think she's ready for that step now and there's one under the tree for her, just 6 pieces. Oh, and another one which is a set of 2-piece matching puzzles, the type with a number digit on one piece and that number of objects on the other piece.

She LOVES puzzles and this sort of matching and manipulation stuff is very congruent with Montessori method, which we're loosely following, so I'm not shy about getting new ones lol... OH and I just ordered the Montessori cylinder blocks, which are another kind of puzzle really! Each block has 5 cylinders (I got the 'mini' blocks, the full-size ones have 10), there are 4 blocks, in each set the cylinders gradate in different ways... In one, they're all the same width but the height decreases. In another, the height is the same but the diameter decreases. In another, both height and diameter decrease. I think the 4th one, diameter decreases while height increases. They fit into slots in the blocks. I've been drooling over this for months and finally ordered it... I think she's ready for it!

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#12 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM

My 2 year old can do the large knob puzzles pretty well, particularly the ones that have the picture underneath the puzzle pieces.
#13 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM

DS is 15 months old and does the Melissa and Doug big knob puzzles very well. There's 2 more waiting under the tree.
He also does the shape sorter very well, but he's been doing that since he was 12 months.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#14 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Neither of my kids could do puzzles at that age. They can pick the right piece, and orient it correctly, but they don't have the fine motor coordination to get it in just. the. right. place. They get frustrated and have no fun at all, lol. I think my toddlers just lack the patience for puzzle
This is my son still. He just turned 2.
#15 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 PM

None. He likes to play with puzzles but he cannot actually do them. He is almost exactly 18 months.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#16 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

My almost 20 month old has been doing chunky puzzles (both wit and without knobs and with & without the picture underneath) for about 4 months. He also does the magnetic puzzles (when you "fish" for the pieces with a magnet on a string. They said 3 yrs and up but he got the hang of them around 17 months. So what would be the next step for him?

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#17 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM

We don't really do puzzles yet. He has a chunky one that he is getting for Christmas. He has another one that I put away a few months ago because he was still a little young for it- I may try bringing it back out after Christmas. He does like his (simple) shape sorter though and can do that with a little help.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#18 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM

My 21 month old has been doing M&D puzzles for a quite a while and pretty much has them mastered. BUT, she's a picky child and since birth pretty much, has to have everything just so. We have a couple of Montessori puzzles - not really jigsaws, but not put the circle in the circle spot puzzles and they are too complicated but I can tell she's making progress and has the right idea.

I think this is just one of those things either you like or don't like. Personally, I despise puzzles of all kind from jigsaw to sudoku to crosswords. I have plenty of patients for crafts and things, but none when it comes to puzzles. Kids must have gotten it from dh because he could sit there all day trying to do the word puzzles in the Sunday Paper.
#19 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM

DD is 19m and she can't do any puzzles. She tries to put the piece where it goes but she can't get it oriented.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#20 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 PM

At 18-20 months my DS was enjoying the M&D wooden puzzles that have the chunky pieces in shapes like this:
http://www.melissaanddoug.com/dyn_pr...hunky%20Puzzle

At 24 months, those are too easy for him and he has moved on to puzzles with more pieces and puzzles that do no have a picture underneath. These are some of his favorites right now:
http://www.lucieclaire.com/Schylling...zle-p-816.html

I also found a few vintage wooden tray puzzles on eBay that he enjoys, similar to these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PLAYSKOOL-SESA...QQcmdZViewItem
#21 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Now I have to revise my answer. DS had his 18 month evaluation with early intervention today and they put a puzzle in front of him to try. It was 4 big shapes with knobs. To the best of my knowledge, he's never tried one before, but he did it perfectly. Weren't we all shocked.
#22 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 10:26 PM

DS is almost 20 months and he is starting to do well with the wooden puzzles that have the pegs on the pieces and matching them to the picture on the puzzle. He still has a little trouble getting the piece oriented in the correct direction, but he is getting better everyday.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#23 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM

I guess my DD REALLY likes puzzles (she's 22 months). She does 5-10 every single day. She does 12-24 interlocking piece ones on her own. She had an early interest in puzzles and has gradually worked up to doing the 12-24 piece ones. It also helps that she does the same puzzles every day. With a new one, however, it will take a week or more to get the hang of it.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#24 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM

my 26 month son can do jigsaw puzzles.. he is really good with shapes/sorting/etc
#25 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM

He was given one nearly identical to this and he can do it but it takes 5 or so minutes. It's actually pretty wonderful to see him concentrating and turning the pieces.
#26 of 28 Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 AM

Talking My dd loves puzzles

My DD whose turning 20 months loves puzzles. She can do large animal 6 piece puzzle and another 10 piece animal puzzle from John Lewis. Now she's bored of both and I need to look for a bigger and exciting one.
#27 of 28 Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I didn't read all the comments so sorry if this was already said.
In the spring I noticed my son was interested in some wooden jigsaw puzzled we had but was not able to do these yet. He was only about 17 months at the time. So for Easter I got him some peg type Wooden puzzles. One with farm animals, one with letters and one with numbers. The farm animal ones he is able to do perfectly now at 21 months and he's getting the hang of the numbers now, the alphabet one is still a little hard but I feel like they have been good for hand eye coordination. I got the Melissa and Doug ones and I purchased them on Amazon.
#28 of 28 Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I just noticed this is an old thread lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page