Terrible, terrible diaper rash *update* - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night at a family dinner there were orange slices. DS has eaten clementines before without too much trouble, so I gave him some. Then so did everyone else. He must have eaten at least one and a half oranges worth.

Today he has liquid poop and his butt is all red. I put some baking soda on it and now he seems even more distraught than he was before. He's crying almost inconsolably, and when he does calm down, it's not for very long. Any suggestions?

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 PM

I've never heard of/don't know anything about the baking soda thing, but the redness is just a reaction to the acidity of the oranges. I wouldn't give so much again if it bothers him, but it should calm down soon. I don't think it's the same thing as diaper rash, it's a food reaction. Maybe put him in a warm bath with some oil in it?
#3 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmom View Post
I've never heard of/don't know anything about the baking soda thing, but the redness is just a reaction to the acidity of the oranges.
I put on the baking soda because it's a base, and my thinking was that the high pH of the Baking soda would help counteract the low pH of his poop, and make it less irritating.

If it was a food reaction, wouldn't it be systemic, though? It looks like it's just the acidity of his poop that's irritating his skin.

He's now sitting on Daddy's lap watching him play video games, and he's quiet, at least. However, I dread the next poop and the next diaper change... I just want my goomba to feel better!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

#4 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM

I've never heard of baking soda either - perhaps it's irritating his skin more?

If ds must be in a diaper with a rash, I always use a generous quantity of cornstarch - no real rubbing, just plopping it on. And if at all possible, I try to let him air out as much as possible. It's so hard when they're that sore - it hurts just looking at it! Ds has been pooping a lot recently and each time he has a really really bad rash (I think it's teething related) and he screams when we change him and sometimes when he sits down afterward

Hope his bum feels better soon!

ETA that a lukewarm bath with some baking soda dissolved in it would probably help too
#5 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Straight baking soda can be irritating to injured skin. Soaking in diluted bakaing soda would probably be soothing, or spraying on a mixture like that, but if you just sprinkled it on dry, it might have not felt very good.

When he poops, I'd wash his bottom in the sink in warm running water and then gently pat him dry, rather than using wipes. That's what I did when my babies had diaper rashes, and it helped them heal a lot faster.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#6 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Ds gets that when he has to much citrus..expecially when mixed w other food.

If he'll sit in a bath try a warm/cool bath with baking soda or unscented epson salts.

Theres a super good bum cream on the market, expensive but lasts forever...WELEDA CALENDULA CREAM...every mother I know thats used it swears by it..or just straight calendula, whenever ds has any bum issues he FREAKS at change time until we say that hes getting the good bum cream, then hes fine as soon as it hits his bum its instant relief...it truly is, we use it on cat scratches, burns everything.

I also agree with not using wipes for awhile, just water, pat dry, no wiping

good luck!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#7 of 16 Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 PM

Washing instead of wiping and a lukewarm bath helped DD1 after a bad 'reaction to popcorn' rash. I also ended up putting her in sposies because I didnt want rash cream in my clothies and that seemed to help. I guess clothies were too rough..

Hope your LO feels better soon!
#8 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, we're in the same boat the OP is in! 18 month old DS ate 2 clementines, and his butt looked like a chemical burn. Poor baby! I've never seen him scream so much. We put him in a bath with Epsom salts - helped his pain a lot. Initially I put the Weleda zinc calendula cream on. Later I went out and bought disposables and petroleum jelly. (Had to buy petroleum jelly - shows how much I use it! However, DS and I are desperate.) The next time he pooped he had the petroleum jelly barrier and it didn't burn as bad.

DS skin is almost back to normal. We'll be back to his big cotton butt in the morning. I only used the disposables because of trying to wash the petroleum jelly out.

Good luck!

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#9 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for all your responses. Unfortunately, DS's bum has only gotten worse as the day goes on. I'd already had him in 'sposies (never got to cloth for a gazillion reasons, I'm at peace with it) so it wasn't the friction. I gave him about an hour and a half of diaper-free time in the evening and got peed on three times for my trouble. When I put him back in a diaper to go to bed, I gently put lanolin on his butt and that seemed to be okay, as long as I didn't rub.

I hate putting cream on him because he screams. Even for the zinc cream he screams. I think tomorrow we'll stick with the lanolin and maybe some vaseline, and give him more naked time. I'll try the epsom salt bath as well, he needs a bath anyways.

Right now he's finally sleeping with his dad. I think the poor kid is cutting a tooth right now, too, which is just adding insult to injury. I gave him some baby tylenol to see if that helped with the pain any, but it didn't seem to. I'm going to call my ped in the morning to see what she thinks. Maybe motrin would be better? I just hate seeing my goomba in pain.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other suggestions, please, I'm all ears.

#10 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 AM

This happens to mine when she eats clementines or any other citrus fruit. Therefore, I give her very minimal amounts of them.

Wash with plain water, a bit cool, and let it really dry. A small amount of the diaper rash cream just once or twice will help accelerate the healing.
#11 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 AM

lanolin and naked time are miraculous when Mr. Pants gets a diaper rash. hope your sweet one feels better soon!
#12 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Citrus does that to my little guy too. He has sensitive skin and the only thing we've found that works for us is: no wipes, airing out (yes, we get peed on but it's just a little bit of baby pee!) and GOBS and GOBS of vaseline. Yep, plain vaseline. His bum clears right up and with the thick layer of the jelly on it, if he poops it's much easier on him when we change his diaper.

The sea monkey has my money.

#13 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM

when you do bath or naked time, a few squirts of breastmilk always cleared up our diaper rashes pretty quickly, but i don't have experience with oranges in particular.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#14 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

It turned out that DS's poop issues were bigger than just some citrus. He also got a 24 hour stomach bug that had him pooping liquid and vomiting. He had a slight fever and was much less active than usual. This sucked for him, but it was good for his butt, because he wanted to spend a lot of time sitting in Mommy or Daddy's lap, so we kept his diaper off and had him on a towel to catch any accidents (he makes absolutely NO indication when he's peeing or pooping, so EC is impossible, though I try).

When he vomited for the third time, I called the ped, who also suggested calendula, and advised me to watch for dehydration. This is the second time in a year I have ever called my ped, but I was worried that maybe the rash and the vomiting were connected and I was missing something (like Cancer, or rotavirus, or something huge like that). She assured me that it was probably fine and if he was still puking today to take him to the ER for eval. I'm glad he's feeling better, because we got six inches of snow today.

DH got some Calendula cream and calendula oil, and we used the oil because it was so much gentler to apply. We did all of his diaper changes in the bathtub with a lukewarm stream of water from the hand held showerhead, and that was much easier on his butt. Today the rash is visibly smaller, and is scabbed over in most places. He's no longer refusing to straddle my hip, and the stomach bug seems to have passed, so he's more active and happier.

Now, does anyone have suggestions for a sick husband? DH picked up whatever puking bug DS had, and now he's miserable. Poor guy.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

#15 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM

Flat ginger ale and soda crackers for the sick husband. The usual pregnancy sickness remedies, yk.
#16 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, I should have put a little laughing emoticon up there. I do know how to take care of the sick husband, I just thought it would be cute to ask. He's doing much better. Now we're just hoping I don't catch it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page