December 2007 Babies ~ Its 2009!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our babies are officially TODDLERS!!! : We're in this new to us forum! Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Years!!

We spent the evening in the ER with my 4 year old getting stitches after he ran into the car door. Thank goodness that was all that he needed!!

Last month's thread

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#2 of 88 Old 01-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh no hope he's OK!

Can't believe we are in the toddler forum! Weren't they just born? I think I missed part of the year or something.

Busy here trying to get life back to normal after the birthday/holiday hoopla but nothing really new going on.

R is really into music, books, animals (she likes to make the sounds!), ride on toys, making herself dizzy going in circles, peek-a-boo, trains, and anything else her brother is doing. She doesn't have too many actual words that I can understand but she likes to do the animal sounds, a couple of signs, and tons of babbling. My son was a slow talker so I guess it runs in the family.

Happy New Year everyone!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#3 of 88 Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
Oh and I forgot to update, Jon had his WCC on his birthday and the doc said at this time it sounds like benign seizures, but since its not imparing anything she said just to keep an eye on it and if it continues and get any worse then we'll be referred to a seizure doc. He had another one Christmas morning, they are still scary even knowing that they aren't doing anything. He just always has this help me look on his face. Poor baby.
That is really great news!

How scary Zjande! I am glad he is ok, too. Those high fevers always scare me. Ari has had two fevers that lasted 5 hours tops on different days of about 101 and they went away. Teething?

And I officially have my first bout of mastitis this time around. I got it all the time with #3, but luckily fended it off for a year, so I should be lucky but I feel like death. Especially after having my mom in town for 2 weeks, going to 4 Christmases and Ari's bday, then driving 5 hours away the day after Xmas for 2-3 days, coming back and keeping my little bro for 4 days. I am pooped.

Congrats Bonnie! :

My cycle is totally screwy. From 35-45 day cycles with 5+ days of eggwhite cervical stuff and temp spikes everywhere. My hormones are just insane lately. I don't understand it at all. And no more Today Sponges, I got some weird (TMI!!!) yellowish funky discharge after using one for the first time.

Ari loves the 5 little monkies song and says bump and hits herself in the head and points at me if she wants to do it. Which is all the time. She is talking a lot more and had a blast at the park in the 60 degree weather 2 days ago. She loved the bridge and the slide.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 88 Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Wow I can't believe all our babies are or are almost one! Wow, it's true time flies!

Elliot will be 1 tomorrow and I just can't and sort of don't want to believe it. He's doing all sorts of stuff now. He's not quite walking but if getting close. He loves to play peek a boo, point, "roar" at us, and attack his sister. He is working on his 13th and 14th teeth. He's just a huge guy- 30lbs and in 24/2T clothing.

How is nursing going for everyone? E has cut back to 2-3 short times a day. I think there is just to much to do and see. He's still nursing 3-4 times at night though. Part of me wants him to sleep through the night because I need sleep but I really don't want him to loss more nursing sessions.

Also lately I've been really struggling with E's birth. I ended up with a c/s after a really long, painful, and somewhat traumatic hb transport. The feelings are so strong it's almost worse than after the birth. No one gets it either. I keep hearing the same "you have a healthy baby" line and I'm so frustrated by it. I want another baby so bad but we really are in no position to ttc, DH is still out of work and E isn't sleeping that well yet. I think I desperately want another baby so I can get a redo on the whole birth thing but that's not healthy. Is anyone else struggling with this one year mark and birth trauma?
#5 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Subbing! Happy, blessed New Year, everyone! We had about 35 people over for lunch today, so I'm too exhausted to say anymore than that! Love to you all! Hellooooooo, Toddlerhood!

Erin, I posted before I read your post. I'm sorry for the anguish you are experiencing. I don't know the answer, but I don't think you are in any way abnormal, and I'm sorry that you are only getting trite phrases as "support". It comes down to exactly what you said--people don't get it. They just have no clue, and most of them don't want to examine the uncomfortable questions it would take to begin to understand. : I can understand the desire for a "redo" but of course you are right that it's not the solution if that's your only reason for having a baby. However, that said, I submit that IMHO, there's *never* a bad time to have a baby, LOL!

Also, BTW, we are now almost practically neighbors! We just moved up to Fort Wayne! We have been here almost 2 weeks--got here just in time for the ice storm! I would LOVE to figure out a way to meet up with you sometime....maybe when the weather starts warming a bit (that does happen eventually, right?), LOL!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#6 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 AM

Sorry about all the stitches and mastitis and high fevers. Erin, I think it's really common to revisit old birth trauma at the one-year. s

OMG, do we really belong in the toddler forum? I keep on looking at Cyrus and being amazed that he looks more and more like a kid.
He's such a sweet boy. We had a New Year's Day party and he was flirting and laughing with everyone. It's a lot of fun playing with him nowadays and it's so need to see how he's exploring and experimenting and figuring out the world.
He's doing good. He's not walking yet, but he's thinking about it. He can stand for quite a long time now without touching anything for balance, and he can walk pretty well if he's holding our fingers. So I think the toddling is on the way this month or next month.
He's a fairly small baby. His next checkup is next week, and I'm curious to see what he weighs. I don't think he's much more than 20 or 21 pounds. How big are all the other babies now?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#7 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hello. I will not be posting here because I am too busy being in denial that my little teeny mushy NEWBORN, is a toddler.

(teehee. thanks for all the kinds words about Draeksley's scary seizure everyone!)

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#8 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
Also lately I've been really struggling with E's birth. I ended up with a c/s after a really long, painful, and somewhat traumatic hb transport. The feelings are so strong it's almost worse than after the birth. No one gets it either. I keep hearing the same "you have a healthy baby" line and I'm so frustrated by it. I want another baby so bad but we really are in no position to ttc, DH is still out of work and E isn't sleeping that well yet. I think I desperately want another baby so I can get a redo on the whole birth thing but that's not healthy. Is anyone else struggling with this one year mark and birth trauma?
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I do think a lot of other woman feel like that. I had a hospital birth and it went as well as anyone could have wanted. But it wasn't what I wanted and I want to redo so many things, with the knowledge I have now. Having another keeps popping into my head and I know it's because i want to redo the birth and those first few weeks.

So, Dd is walking now. That started jsut this last week. She is a crazy monkey who is EVERYWHERE. I swear, I have no clue how she is so energetic- she never sleeps.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#9 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 AM

I had my first night of uninterrupted sleep in over a year! My DH rocked Christian to sleep the other night and then put him in the baby swing in our room. I woke up around 6am to find he was still asleep in there! I took him to bed right away and nursed him because I was really engorged. I'm paying for it now because I got a clogged duct which won't go away and I think it might be turning into mastitis.

Does anyone else have a baby who is unusually fussy lately? I just don't know what's wrong with him. He constantly wants to be held and nursed, but when I try he jumps and climbs all over me. He cries and throws himself backwards over the slightest things. Nothing seems to make him happy for more than a few minutes. I can't get anything done!
#10 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
How big are all the other babies now?
Jonathan is right about 25lbs, he's a thick boy. But then again, all my babies have been chubby babies and then thin out once they hit about 2ish.

Nursing is still going strong, he would be just devestated if I even thought about weaning. Unless something changes, he's going to be nursing when he's in college.

So anyone have any big plans for 2009? Ours is renovating our kitchen and possibly adding a bedroom on the house. We're out growing the house! But houses are too spendy right now to be buying...fun fun fun!!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#11 of 88 Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Jasmine is around 19 pounds... She does have her terribly fussy days (complete with the throwing self backwards even after you've done supposably what she wanted) and she's only nursing like 5-6 times a day with like once at night. I try to get her to nurse more cuz she doesn't really eat that many solids... but she thinks she has so much to do and so little time.

Anyhow.. I'm here subbing!
#12 of 88 Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Resurecting our thread...it was on the 5th page!!

#13 of 88 Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM

DD2 is about 26 lbs Chunky kiddo and has 4 teeth!! I can see another four but they just won't break through!

Anyone lucky enough to have a LO that is sleeping through the night? DD2 is up at least 4 times a night and DH ends up having to sleep with her on the couch

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#14 of 88 Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 AM

It didn't even occur to me until today that I should look in the toddler forum... I nearly went and started another thread in "Life with a Babe" thinking someone must have been slacking and just hadn't gotten around to it yet!

Rhysie is a big, solid chunk of a guy... he's in 18-24 month clothes and is tall, but solid and sooooo strong. We're working on walking, and mostly sleeping through the night -- he's up at 11-ish every night (which reminds me to go to bed!) and then sleeps straight through until morning. He's hardly nursing at all, and pigging out on solids, the little oinker. He only seems to want the boob for comfort and reconnection, which is fine but does away with my best excuse for not being into my pre-baby jeans yet.

Oh well.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 88 Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 AM

Hey, can someone PM me with the link for our "other" forum? I've lost my bookmarks.

#16 of 88 Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Diddo! I don't even remember how to get to it.

#17 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Liam's right about 25 lbs. now. He's my monster man. Totally into everything and just screams his fool head off if he hears the word "no". 90% of the time he's just amazingly sweet and loving but he's also super stubborn. ... and a puker. Anyone else have a spontaneous vomiter? We thought it was allergies but nothing is coming up on allergy tests. He's perfectly fine throwing up.. it's just really gross. really really really gross. I had enough puking with my pregnancy thank you very much.
Erin... I'm sending you lots of love. Call me if you need to, k?

rainbow1284.gifQueer Mama to Lulu (01-09-02) and Liam (11-29-07)  We're an urban crunchy, Portland, OR dwelling,  selectivevax.gif,asl.gif,lactivist.gif,cd.gif,nocirc.gif,sewmachine.gif, trekkie.gifvbac.gif kind of family.
#18 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM

subbing! be back after I cry that we are in the toddler forum

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#19 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

hi guys! today is viano's birthday. : i can't believe it. we are making her a really chocolately cake and eating it after nap time. i will take lots of pictures and post them later. thanks for being the best DDC ever. :
#20 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Count me in as another mom totally wondering where the little tiny baby went. In her place is this whirling, twirling toddler tornado. Nora rarely sits still.

She's running, climbing, systematically emptying every drawer/cupboard/closet in our house, smiling, playing, and on rare occasion, resting. Her smiles are the cutest things in the universe and she is the little light of my life but holy cow, parenting her has suddenly become a cardio workout.

No words yet except for dada but she must be working on it because you can tell you is trying to imitate what we say.

We don't nurse anymore and I miss it terribly. I'm hoping my next baby is a darling pudgy little lump who just wants to nurse and snuggle the days away. Nora Rose was born with more active intentions. Speaking of future babies, I would love, love, love another one. I worry I might be one of those women who loves the baby stage best. Cool while you are experiencing it, I guess, but it seems anti-climactic to have your favorite year of parenting right at the onset. Maybe once my energy level adjusts to the demands of a toddler my perspective will change. Right about now I am missing the tiny little swaddled newborn, though.
#21 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Hello. I will not be posting here because I am too busy being in denial that my little teeny mushy NEWBORN, is a toddler.

(teehee. thanks for all the kinds words about Draeksley's scary seizure everyone!)
Totally. It took me awhile to come look in this forum? Toddler, not my baby. She is a BABY, do you hear me? :

Ari is only 19lbs and 28". Short and slim little thing. Smart, just little. She is freaking insane. I swear she's going to be a daredevil when she grows up.

Erin, I totally am on the same page. I wish I got a do over with my pph transport. That was so traumatizing. I am so thankful for part of it, but just irritated at having to transport. (((Hugs)))

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#22 of 88 Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

ok, here are some pics.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...200809/043.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...200809/029.jpg

from xmas:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...200809/034.jpg

this isn't from today, buts its funny, isnt it? viano was eating pizza and she fell asleep in her high chair.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...200809/018.jpg
#23 of 88 Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM

Cutest. Thing. Ever:

So, Bethany has come up with a word that she uses when she wants to nurse....

Baboom!

LOL! I have no clue where that comes from--we always just ask if she wants milk, and none of the other kids ever had a special word, they just whined or signed until they got it! But it is sooo freakin' cute, I can't hardly stand it!

#24 of 88 Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyj-m View Post
Count me in as another mom totally wondering where the little tiny baby went. In her place is this whirling, twirling toddler tornado. Nora rarely sits still.

She's running, climbing, systematically emptying every drawer/cupboard/closet in our house, smiling, playing, and on rare occasion, resting. Her smiles are the cutest things in the universe and she is the little light of my life but holy cow, parenting her has suddenly become a cardio workout.

No words yet except for dada but she must be working on it because you can tell you is trying to imitate what we say.
Wow...this sounds exactly like Jon!! He is a constant mover, he's broken a bunch of my baking pyrex and mason jars cause he's ALWAYS in the cupboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Totally. It took me awhile to come look in this forum? Toddler, not my baby. She is a BABY, do you hear me? :
She is freaking insane. I swear she's going to be a daredevil when she grows up.
Another Jon here! He's got a perma bruise on his forehead. He lunged off of a step stool yesterday, knocked his head big time, stood up, laughed and continued to climb back up it! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
ok, here are some pics.
SO CUTE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Cutest. Thing. Ever:

So, Bethany has come up with a word that she uses when she wants to nurse....

Baboom!

LOL! I have no clue where that comes from--we always just ask if she wants milk, and none of the other kids ever had a special word, they just whined or signed until they got it! But it is sooo freakin' cute, I can't hardly stand it!
How sweet!! Jon's word for nursing sounds like he's saying cracker. I call everything, cereal, crackers, cookies ect...crackers so he caught on!

#25 of 88 Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Ari is only 19lbs and 28". Short and slim little thing. Smart, just little.
Same! We went to the doctor yesterday (why are blood draws SO traumatizing?) and Nicky gained three ounces and grew .2" in the past two months. Granted we were sick right before her birthday and all lost some weight, but the doctor actually told me to lay off the breastfeeding and make her eat more food. Now I'm sweating it even though I know tons of mamas bf way longer than this. Plus, since the babe was sick her eating got really picky.

Not an issue of mainstream peds and extended bfing, either, this practice is usually really good about supporting choices. So am I really starving my baby? She's certainly not emaciated, and the doc said repeatedly that she was a normal, curious, smart little toddler. See for yourself, here. But the stupid growth chart says she's now in the 18th percentile for weight!

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#26 of 88 Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Oh my gosh, it drives me freaking nuts when ignorant doctors tell worried mamas to "lay off the breastfeeding so baby will gain weight!" : This is the worst possible advice, totally contrary to what they should say. Breastmilk is the most calorically dense food you can feed your baby! I think maybe avocado comes close?? I think you can find a chart on kellymom.com that shows a variety of foods, and breastmilk is DEFINITELY the best thing you can be giving a skinny baby!

Of course, offer other foods as well, but above all, keep your supply strong by nursing frequently, and keep her intake up by--you guessed it--nursing frequently!

I'm sorry y'all have been sick, and extra sorry for the worry you've suffered. Ignore the doctor and nurse your baby! (WHY is he even saying ANYTHING when she's within the normal range of the charts by such a comfortable margin?? AND she's GAINING WEIGHT! Maybe not much, but any gain is an indication of health--loss of weight (which is consistent and not related to a recent illness) would be a cause for worry, but not a gain! Doctors make me wanna : )

#27 of 88 Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM

We are in teething hell. Aparently, ALL of his teeth are coming in- molars too. My poor, poor baby

Is anyone interested in doing a penpal thing for our babies? Like once a month we could send a letter to each other and one for the babies, with pictures and when they start drawing, etc. And then they could have a penpal from babyhood and get to know each other. Does that sound neat to anyone else?

I'm so happy for all the expecting mamas-- and it looks like some of you will be in the same ddc again!! I hope that happens to me. I am SO torn on wanting a baby NOW and wanting to wait a little longer for several reasons.

Birthday Pic
His new hangout.
Opening presents.

Dante had his first airplane trip- he loved it because he loves spaceships, etc... he slept through almost all the way both ways -- whew.

He just started signing "Mommy" Video

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#28 of 88 Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Oh my gosh, it drives me freaking nuts when ignorant doctors tell worried mamas to "lay off the breastfeeding so baby will gain weight!" : This is the worst possible advice, totally contrary to what they should say. Breastmilk is the most calorically dense food you can feed your baby! I think maybe avocado comes close?? I think you can find a chart on kellymom.com that shows a variety of foods, and breastmilk is DEFINITELY the best thing you can be giving a skinny baby!

Of course, offer other foods as well, but above all, keep your supply strong by nursing frequently, and keep her intake up by--you guessed it--nursing frequently!

I'm sorry y'all have been sick, and extra sorry for the worry you've suffered. Ignore the doctor and nurse your baby! (WHY is he even saying ANYTHING when she's within the normal range of the charts by such a comfortable margin?? AND she's GAINING WEIGHT! Maybe not much, but any gain is an indication of health--loss of weight (which is consistent and not related to a recent illness) would be a cause for worry, but not a gain! Doctors make me wanna : )
Thanks for the support. Just to make me even nuttier on the topic, I went to the OB today to confirm my pregnancy (had to wait for the insurance to come through) and the CNP said the same thing...that I'm now feeding three people and should wean Nikita right away. :

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#29 of 88 Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Oh man, sorry I got so fired up about that....and I feel bad because I missed that you are expecting again (CONGRATULATIONS!!!), which of course is something that has to be factored in. I still think the weaning advice is silly, but if you do notice that your supply is dwindling due to pg hormones, then you do need to be careful to watch her intake of calories...some kids are so laid-back they'll just nurse happily even if they aren't getting enough.

But I still think the advice to wean just because you are pregnant is silly. Your body is designed to protect/nourish your offspring, even at detriment to yourself. First, the wombling will take his/her nutrition. Then your nursling will get what she needs, as long as your supply remains unaffected by the shifting hormones. Lastly, you will get your nourishment, LOL! So basically, you need to make sure you are feeding yourself VERY WELL!!! And as long as you are feeling good and taking care of yourself, that is good evidence that your babies--both of them--are getting what they need, too!

Just watch your supply (if you take herbal lactational supplements, make sure they are pg safe) and it will probably be pretty obvious if/when your supply starts to dip...it feels different, and for many women there's a lot of tenderness. Best wishes!

BTW, did the CNP give any logical reasons for saying you should wean right away? Because AFAIK, except in the case of medical emergency, sudden weaning is never a good idea.

#30 of 88 Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 AM

Heather the penpal idea is awesome, I'm totally game!

Loved reading all the updates!!

Glad to see that ds isn't the only one not walking yet. He took his first step on his birthday (12/11), took 3 steps a couple of weeks later, and then . . . nothing. He's definitely ready, I think he just prefers to crawl!

Bf'ing is still great. He's really cut back during the day, he usually only nurses when going down for naps and if he gets hurt. He nurses all night long though, and I'd say he's probably getting 50-75% of his nutrition from me.

We went for a checkup at the first of the year and he's just over23 lbs - smack dab in the middle of the chart for height (29 inches) and weight.

We are definitely TTC here. I've had some spotting, but no real PPAF yet. I'm not even sure if I'm O'ing - I had some questionably fertile CM before the spotting, so I'll be curious to see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page