:*:*:*:*: May 2006 Mamas & Toddlers- Happy New Year, January 2009 :*:*:*:*: - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! Its been months and months. I miss my May mamas! Everything is going well here. Nathan celebrated his 1st birthday on 11/30. Matthew is just a joy. I know I haven't been updating much here but I'm on Facebook and livejournal a LOT. I also have a flickr picture site if anyone is interested!

Facebook

Livejournal

Flickr

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#32 of 55 Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Hey mamas,

Thanks for all the well-wishes! We're doing a lot better here. DS is still super congested and coughs all.night.long, but overall he is sooooo much better, we finally started leaving the house again and playing at the park. I had a serious case of cabin fever!!

DH is doing well, he's having lots of interviews. Finally! It's still hard being so far apart, but I feel more sure now that we made the right decision.

Ecoteat, LOL at Phoebe's comment. That's kinda creepy!!! I hope Jerome stays healthy through the summer.

Mamabeakley, YAY on the great birth! That's wonderful!

Max, sounds like your DH had a nice birthday. DS also gets confused about birthdays. And recently, he and one of his best buddies have been making sand cakes at the park and singing Happy Birthday.... to Baby Jesus. Not sure where they got that from!!! But it cracks me up every time. Yup, we're in the Bible Belt!

TxMom, I hope you find a good church situation soon. And a move back to Texas! That's exciting! Is your DH looking for jobs in Texas already?

GreenMama, hard to believe Nathan is already one. Time flies!!

Hope everyone is well...
#33 of 55 Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Hey everyone! Sounds like you're all doing well (except for the croup incidents...scary!). We are just waiting for baby here... Orion is not so excited about it but he is really into the baby's toys and things. I'm a little worried about how he's going to handle sharing his "nun" (nursing) and my dp is not being very helpful, wants me to wean Orion *as soon as the baby comes* and it's really getting on my nerves. Send me good vbac vibes! Next time I post I may have a lil baby!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#34 of 55 Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM

Hi mamas! Just dropping by to check in. We are doing really well here. Z is now 4 months old, and is already starting to sit up on his own and roll over. I'm pretty sure he *really* wants food too (DD *still* would prefer mama milk to food ), but he's just going to have to wait. They are SUCH different personalities. He is so much more laid back and mellow. But still highly motivated to move like his sister was. I'll try to post a link to photos soon. And now for some quick personals :

max - It sounds like you all survived the chicken pox ok

Marylizah - yikes! I'm glad your LO is getting over the croup. What a scary experience. I hope the job search is going well in France.

Alaskaberry - I hope you have a peaceful birth! And good luck with tandem nursing. It may not be easy to begin with, but it is really worth it. DD got used to 'sharing' pretty quickly. I think trying to find time for Orion one-on-one is really important to easing the transition for him (at least that's how it was for us).

TxmominCT - I hope your church situation gets figured out soon. And your girls look so sweet!

Greenmama - It is so nice to hear from you again. Wow, is Nathan a year old already???!!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#35 of 55 Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas! I feel silly because I go and start the thread and then disappear for half the month

I hope you're all well.

Nothing really going on here, DD is taxing my patience with increasing frequency, but I suppose that's to be expected. When DH was off work we decided to really try to make the move to underwear and after a couple of days of extra laundry it seems like we're good to go during the days. We still haven't attempted nights diaper free, but that'll happen eventually.

We're going to be staying at my parents intermittently for the next two weeks since they left yesterday to go to the inauguration. My sister was invited to it last February, and my parents and a set of grandparents decided they were going to go too, so we get to go back and forth between their house and ours for a while.

I've got to get going, I have to get the LO's ready to go back home, we've got lots of cleaning to do.
#36 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Yikes, we need to bump this thread!!

We are on the mend here, Emma and I got the stomach flu over the weekend, hoping the other two will bypass it! I'll BBL to post more....

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#37 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Hi all!

Was coming to look for this thread. We (finally, finally) have some good news. DH has gotten two job offers in France!!!! :::::::

So after ONE WHOLE YEAR of nothing, he's going to get to choose between two really good jobs.

Clearly we are back on the right path after feeling so lost for such a long time.

And now we get to start planning baby number 2! :::::

Thank you all so much for your friendship and support throughout this experience....
#38 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Hurrah, Marylizah! I am so happy for you!

OMG, ladies. I was at a birth for 48 hours this weekend. There is no way I could have done it except that the mama is a friend of mine and it was a planned homebirth with a wonderful midwife and midwife's assistant and so we were all a team and I wasn't providing the only professional labor support. Unfortunately we did transfer to the hospital after about 36 hours, but it was a vaginal birth and the mama did an absolutely amazing job of sticking with the whole process.

But it's taken me at least 48 hours to recover and I threw up this morning, which I rarely do.

Hope you are all well and warm.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#39 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Yay Marylizah! What wonderful news. I am so happy for you. :

Mamabeakley, wow! I don't think I could do that even when not pregnant! Rest up mama.

Sydnee, glad you are feeling better.

Be back soon w/more. :

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#40 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mary, that's great news! I'm so happy for you!!!

Mamabeakley, I hope you feel better soon, do you have many more doula jobs planned before the baby comes?

We're home right now for a little breather, I'd been avoiding our house because I seriously need to organize our dining room/my craft supply room and I haven't been in the mood to face it, but I just need to dig in and get a little bit done at a time...
#41 of 55 Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Hey May Mamas! Page 5 again - where are ya'll?

We spent the morning at the vet. My beloved dog of 12 years is starting to have incontinence. It could just be hormones/old age, or it could be something more serious like kidney disease, thyroid, or cancer. We'll get the blood work back tomorrow. I have a feeling it could be her kidneys based on her symptoms. I'm really sad bc I feel like this is the beginning of the end for her - and I hate even typing that! She is a Rottweiler/Shepherd, so 12 is getting pretty old for such a large breed. She has been a great dog, definitely my first baby. I'll be devastated when the time comes, as will the kids. Thanks for reading my depressing news. I've been so worried today, but not really able to express it to anyone.

In other, lighter news, is anyone thinking about nursery school or preschool for next school year? All my kids have gone to this really great nursery school co-op. The three year olds start w/just two mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours. I have LO signed up (so that I can be assured a space), but I have the hardest time imagining her being old enough/developmentally ready enough for school! It is a wonderful program & I love the teachers, but she's just a baby!!! She will go to a monthly story hour there beginning soon to help ease the transition - but I'm even stressed about that, as it's a drop off.

Good grief, I'm a wreck today!

#42 of 55 Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Max ~ Our 10 year old dog is starting to have some health problems. I really feel for you.

We're going to jump right in with three full days of preschool for DS in the fall. It seems crazy to write that but it just really, really feels right for him. It's an in-home Waldorf-inspired nursery school and he's going to be in DD's class (we're keeping her out of kindergarten for another year) and he has been BEGGING me to let him go there since she started last year. (Plus he does two full days of daycare now so it's not going to be that different.)

Kids climbing on me...
#43 of 55 Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry about your dog, Max. My "first baby" got to the point where she was just miserable all the time (and she lived in a 3rd floor apartment with my mother, making incontinence a really huge problem) when I was just pregnant with DS1. I went home and helped euthanize her, in the most humane way we possibly could, but in my current state, it makes me cry to think about it.

It's snowing! This is so exciting for my kids!

I have so much work to do! I can tell I'm *starting* to feel better pg-wise because I look at my (wreck of a) house and think about wanting to do something about it, and at my (incredibly long) to-do list and think about wanting to get it done. But I don't quite have the energy to do it yet.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#44 of 55 Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM

is anyone else having trouble getting their subscription e-mails? I never seem to get the updates these days, (well I RANDOMLY get them!)

So I started applying for jobs in TX!!! It looks like it won't be a problem at all to get a job! YEA! Everything else is going well! The only bad thing is that I am still VERY swollen (major dependent edema) from the pg/birth? So I'm finally going to a PCP to get it looked at, I'm nervous they'll want to do something that will prevent me from breastfeeding, but my hands hurt so much I can't open cans, bottle, I'm nervous giving injections at work, I have trouble opening IV stuff so something needs to give! Wish me luck! They squeezed me in tomorrow!

Hugs to all of you!

oh yeah preschool! We are probably going to do some sort of preschool for Clara next year in Texas! I've gotta start applying I guess!!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#45 of 55 Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 PM

baby is here!! Yay! I had him on the 22nd, by c/s because he was footling breech. I did try to get him to turn, but all he did was get his foot up. I probably would have been sucessful in getting him to turn completely...if I hadn't gone into labor so quickly. Argh! Still, I am ok with the c/s...Now if only I could convince dp that we should have another baby!

Max--I'm sorry about your dog.

Re preschool: Probably not, the nursery schools are terrible in this area. There is a Montressori school but it's too expensive (that's the only one I'd consider). Orion already knows his shapes, colors, letters,numbers, etc.The only thing left is learning to read! I think I do a pretty good job of teaching him on my own, plus we do a lot of "playdates", or as I like to call them, "visiting Mommy's mommy friends".

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#46 of 55 Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Congratulations Phoebe! And welcome little AlaskaBaby!!! :
I am glad to hear you are both doing well. How's Orion liking his new brother?

#47 of 55 Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Congrats, Phoebe! I didn't realize it was your time already!

Max, I'm sorry about your dog. I know whatever the prognosis is she'll be in good hands with you.

Kathryn, you must be so excited to be getting ready to go back to TX! And I hope your swelling can be taken care of easily. I did have to giggle, though, when I read that they could "squeeze you in" while I was picturing you all swollen!

We'll definitely be doing preschool next year. Phoebe LOVES the 2 afternoons she goes now.

Phoebe's waking up...BBL!
#48 of 55 Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM

Alaskaberry! Congrats on the new baby!!!! Why is it that we can have a baby and instantly want more!!

RE my weird swelling... well I now have more questions than answers! The MD didn't even have any good guesses on what it could be, they did a lot of blood work etc, and an EKG, I'm 27 for goodness sakes! It was normal, I'll find out on the rest tomorrow. They do know it's lympedema, not reg water retention, so diuretics won't do anything for it! So we'll see what they say when the blood work gets back!

Preschool, I keep going back and forth now! Clara would love it, she always talks about wanting to go to school, but I really feel like homeschooling. However it also feels weird to homeschool, her childhood experience would be so different than what ours was like, so I feel it would be harder to relate to her? Does that make sense?

Well I hope all is well with everyone have a great weekend!!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#49 of 55 Old 01-30-2009, 12:20 AM

I really should be doing school work now, but I just can't get into it! This has been a crazy week. We had an incident at school that involved a suspension and a very heated meeting with the kid's mother who now really, REALLY hates me. That has not been fun to deal with. But then that same day I got a call from our retired assistant superintendent (who didn't *really* retire--now he's working as a consultant) asking me if I'd like to meet with him about teaching very part time at a new alternative high school that has a total of six students. This sounds like a cool opportunity. If it's a few mornings a week, it might be worthwhile. Or not. I'm not sure. But I think we are meeting next week and then we'll see. THEN I had a meeting with our school board who had all kinds of computer questions (I'm the most techy of the teachers) because they are interested in eventually buying mini Linux-based laptops for ALL the kids! And maybe hire me to keep it all running smoothly. I'm shocked and delighted. I love my school board. So that's 2 unsolicited job suggestions in a week! (Not quite job offers, but it sounds like if I want to be working more than part time next year I could.)

And in other big news--my sister is in early labor right now! I'm so excited for her and we are all going to visit in a few weeks to see her and my new niece. I can't wait!

I really need to get some work done before I fall asleep. I'm not 100% sure what I'm teaching tomorrow!
#50 of 55 Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Hey mamas,

Max, I'm so sorry about your dog. That's the heartbreaking thing about animals, isn't it? We love them so much, they're such a huge part of the family, and we have to witness their decline and death. It's very hard.

Alaskaberry: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :::: I hope you are recovering well from the C-section and that Orion is adapting well to his new brother.

TxMom, that's great about moving back to Texas! But not great about the swelling. I hope you get that figured out quickly. It sucks when doctors can't get a diagnosis/ treatment plan quickly!

Ecoteat: that's awesome about all the potential jobs! It sounds like you are a very valued member of the community there, that's always a great feeling!

Mamabeakley, I hope you're feeling better as the pg progresses.

About preschool: yeah, I think DS will be in school next year. It starts at age 3 in France, but I'll probably only have him go in the mornings. And school is 4 days a week, Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. So 4 mornings a week would probably be a good way to get him into the whole school thing.

DH is busy apartment hunting. I send him ads that I find and he calls to visit. Today he saw three, he's seeing another one tomorrow, and has some visits lined up for next week. We still don't know if he'll be starting next Wednesday or the following Monday. I'm excited but a little overwhelmed at everything that has to be done! One step at a time, I guess.

Well, better run, things are kinda hectic here!
#51 of 55 Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM

My sister had her baby this morning! She had a pretty easy, 4 hour labor, only pushed 3 times, and had my adorable new niece at home in the water. No tearing and she feels great. I get to go in 2 weeks to see them! I'm so excited.

Mary, I can't even wrap my head around the logistics of moving overseas. How does that work? Does it cost a fortune to ship things? Or is it easier to get rid of some things and buy replacements on the other end? What about big things? I can't imagine moving at all right now, so that sounds extra challenging!
#52 of 55 Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 AM

Congratulations Auntie Ecoteat! And yay for your sister!! You know, I was just thinking how cool it is that you have an AP sister. It seems like in most families we hear about online AP is usually not something that "runs in the family" so to speak. Although your life seems full of cool AP crunchy folks, so maybe you are the exception to the rule.

#53 of 55 Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Within my family, who are all far away from me, my sister and I are definitely a little different from the rest. But it's neat that we seem to have made some things more "normal." Two amazing HBs in the family has had an impact, especially after one cousin who had a c-section go really bed (some placenta left inside, terrible infection, long hospitalization, etc). Now my parents are definitely big fans of HB! But in our local circle of friends, we really have it good.

I have been trying to take a shower all day, but something always comes up. Then Phoebe had a meltdown, so now she's nursing, despite my best efforts to keep her awake, she is falling asleep. She won't be able to take a later nap, which she normally would if she dozes off in the morning, because we are going to our friends' for dinner. So the rest of today is going to be thrown off! Ugh.
#54 of 55 Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 PM

Hi, ladies!

Most of my/DH's families are fairly AP. There's a spectrum, probably from me at one end to my brother and his wife at the other end - but it's not really a very wide spectrum, and they're at the other end for reasons mostly beyond their control.

But more importantly, I think we all work pretty hard at being respectful of each other's parenting choices. Other than my cousin-in-law (who had two children quite young with an abusive partner) I don't think I've ever heard anyone criticize anyone else's parenting choices (my MIL, who raised her, was pretty upset about both pregnancies, but thinks she's a great mom, which she is - has left partner, is putting herself through school, etc.) Which now that I think about it, is pretty darn cool. Something to be grateful for!

#55 of 55 Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 PM

New thread!

See you there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page