:*:*:*:*: May 2006 Mamas & Toddlers- Happy New Year, January 2009 :*:*:*:*: - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy 2009 mamas! I hope everyone has a safe and happy welcome to the new year.

We ended up going and hanging out with my sister last night, we'd sort of explained why it was special, but DD just kept thinking it was her birthday and kept saying "happy birthday year!" and thought she was going to get to stay up, but we set her straight pretty quickly about that one!

I hope you're all well, DH has been off since 12/19 and I think he and I are both very ready for him to be back at work. Our schedules are just so off, and I have a feeling it isn't going to be easy transitioning back to our regular schedules. DS & DD are super happy having daddy around though, so we've just been trying to get things done without driving each other crazy

Do you have any New Years traditions?
#2 of 55 Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Happy New Year!:

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! We did, I'll post some pics soon. Now it's back to work. We are having a rough time figuring out me working, Dan practicing and taking care of the kids, and oh yeah sleeping! I think we're slowly figuring it out though. May it's tough to work and be a Mom I can't wait to get out of debt and hopefully go part time!! Hugs to all my May mammas!

Oh yeah, New Year's traditions for us usually consist of me working, but I really like sparkling apple cider, and the whole black eyed peas for good luck thing, unfortunately I didn't get to do either yet! (except work!!)

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#3 of 55 Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM

We have an almost 20 year tradition of getting together w/my BFF - which we did!

If I didn't feel like crap, it would have been more fun, but it was fun anyway. DS1 stayed up, DS2 fell asleep around 11:30.

DH's temper is fraying with being on constant kid-duty since I am so out of it.

Yuck.

Sorry. Life is really good, I just don't like it right now :-(

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#4 of 55 Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Happy New Year May Mamas!!! : We had a nice, quiet New Year celebration. We always watch the previous year's home movies on New Year's Eve. It's lots of fun to look back at what we did over the past year & how the kids have grown. Then we have Chinese Food for dinner and after the kids go to bed dh & I watch a movie. (We gave up on going out long before the kids were born.)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#5 of 55 Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Hey mamas. It's been a tough couple days here in the land of the Wild Things. A couple days ago dd(5) fell down our ILs' wooden basement stairs. It was a really bad fall, but amazingly she only ended up a bit scratched & banged up. She was really frightened though. I think it took 10 years off my life! And today ds(9) came down w/chicken pox. The hardest part for him is that he had to miss a birthday party he had really been looking forward too. The hardest part for me will be if/when it spreads through the house!!

Gotta run, the kids need me.

#6 of 55 Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Oooh, Max, I want my kids to get chicken pox! I mean, I know it would be hard, but I soooo want them to have it (if they don't, I'll vax them at puberty - DH & my bro both had BAAAD cases as 13 yos).

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#7 of 55 Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Hmmm... Max, you aren't that far from me, and we have other friends in your neck of the woods, and Phoebe will need to get CP some day... We actually have had 2 opportunities to expose her in the past year and decided against it. If we could do it in the summer when it wouldn't impact my work or her preschool, I think we'd jump at the chance. Mama Beakley, I've been thinking we'd vax if Phoebe doesn't get them by 13 or so, too. What a crazy situation our "health" care system has created with vaxes!

We don't do anything for New Year's. DH is especially turned off by the whole celebration of what is really not that significant a day. We did go out to dinner, and on our way there realized it was NYE and that it would probably be busy. New Year's Day our friends invited us and 2 other families over for breakfast. This is our core group of closest friends and we all get together often. Two of them are pregnant! So I get to go to a blessingway tomorrow--I can't wait!

Last night we got a babysitter and went out to dinner on a date! It was so wonderful--we had a delicious meal and a really nice time together.

Gotta go--dh and Phoebe are back from their walk and we have friends coming over for dinner.
#8 of 55 Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 PM

So are we coordinating a may mamas chicken pox party?? I had a teacher in nursing school talk about how horrible it was for people to try to get their kids exposed, I held my tongue (I think) but seriously, lets just inject them with a live virus vaccine that gets them sick and gives them yucky chemicals, that's way better than catching it on their own!! (okay sorry about the sarcasm!) I think we'll do the adolescent vax too, it's nice to hear other people taking that stance on the issue. I love you May mamas, it seems we tend to trend towards the same ideals generally! :

So in other news I am officially starting to work on getting my lactation consultant certification! It'll take a while, but I am going to a conference at the end of April, I'm about to take an online class, and I'm continuing to build up my contact hours at work. I still feel like such a novice in helping other people nurse. I had easy babies, they just got right on and ate no work was necessary from me! It's so different when you are on the other side trying to make it work, but I'm slowly getting better!

Well I'm off to work in a few so have a great night everyone!!

#9 of 55 Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Looks like a Chicken Pox Party at my house is in order! C'mon over May Mamas. I think we have about anothr day of contagion. That is, of course, until the next one gets it. I gave ds a homeopathic remedy and that has really lessened the severity of his symptoms & made him much more comfortable.

Kathryn, you'll be an awesome LC. Good luck w/the process.

So I've started crocheting again. I had this box of really nice yarn and a project I had started years ago, and I finally decided to break it out again. I am really enjoying it. So far I've made a "snuggle shawl" for the kids (it's on the idea of a prayer shawl for when they aren't feeling well or are upset), and I've made matching scarves for the girls & me, and a boyish one for ds. My only problem is that my life & mind are way too busy to follow pattern (Kathryn, I don't know how you do it!), so everyone I know is going to be getting scarves! I'm also really interested in making prayer shawls, so I am thinking of doing that for my UU church. (www.shawlministry.com is a nice site if you'd like more info.)

How's your knitting MaryLizah?

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

#10 of 55 Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM

Hey mamas,

Happy New Year!

Things are a bit rough here-- I'm sooooooo sick (possibly with strep? or the flu or something) and have been since Monday. It's slowly getting better, but I feel rotten! I even threw up this morning from coughing so hard.

And, DH is in France . He left NYE, so my new year's celebrations were subdued, to say the least. He has interviews lined up next week, which is great, but being the sole caregiver is hard. DS really misses his dad a lot.

Mamabeakley, I hope the 1st trimester passes quickly and you feel better soon!

TXmom, that's great about becoming an LC! I think I would enjoy doing that, too.

Max, I'm so sorry to hear about the fall and the pox. I know what you mean about losing 10 years of your life in one instant! Kids have that amazing superpower to shorten their parent's lifespan. Congrats on the crocheting, my knitting is going well, though I have yet to make anything other than scarves! "Santa" brought me circular needles in my stocking, and I'm hoping to start a baby blanket for a pregnant friend soon.

Ecoteat, yay on the date!! DH and I were hoping for a date right before he left, but it was crazy busy with Christmas, family in town, then I got sick, not to mention my dad has been unwell since his surgery 3 weeks ago. He has another one scheduled for tomorrow and we hope it will resolve some issues he's having.

Well, off to shower and get the day started. Hugs to all!
#11 of 55 Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Oooooh a chicken pox party would be AWESOME! And ya know... it's actually a good time for me because I kind of have an opening in my birth schedule.

Kathryn- I'm so excited for you, that's awesome! I am always thrilled to hear there will be another LC in the world.

Mary- I hope your dad's surgery goes well, and best wishes with the whole move thing. An international move seems daunting to me!

Max- lots of get well thoughts for your kiddos.
#12 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM

Hello friends! Remember me? I just posted over in the main introductions forum but wanted to pop in here and say hi.

I haven't been around much for the last year but think of you all often.

I felt the need to take a break from MDC when things in my AP-mothering world weren't working the way I had imagined them. I found it challenging to make the changes I needed to make while constantly asking for help here at MDC, so I pulled back for a bit, found my own way and am now happy to be back feeling more confident in my parenting and eager to reconnect with old friends!

I've recently returned to work part-time writing, teaching yoga and leading workshops for mothers and couples and life is flowing a whole lot more smoothly in my house since I made this change!

I'm looking forward to reconnecting with you all!!!!

~Erin

PS ~ Here's a pic of my May babe that I think you will all appreciate!
#13 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Hey Erin! Welcome back. It's so good to hear from you. I'm glad you & your family are doing well. Love the pic of your ds fingerpainting!

Well mamas, chicken pox is a much more drawn out thing than I imagined. Ds keeps getting new outbreaks, just when I think he is doing better. And the contagious period lasts until three days after the last outbreak. So the poor little guy has been housebound and going stir crazy. (In case you're wondering, nine year old boys don't do housebound very well. )

#14 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Of course I remember you Erin- welcome back!! The painting picture cracked me, adorable!

Max- I bet he is stir crazy! Poor kid, I guess at least it's not summer, it would probably seem that much worse if it was.
#15 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Erin! Welcome back! I've often wondered what you were up to. I remember how hard we both struggled with our sons and their lack of sleeping as infants! You gave me a lot of good advice that helped me get through the worst of it. Love the fingerpainting picture, too!

Max, soooooo sorry to hear that CP is still going on. I can't imagine trying to keep a 9 y o housebound! I hope he feels better soon.

I'm finally starting to feel better over here, but I think DS is catching my virus from heck. Anyone know if I can give him Emergen-C? A whole dose, or just part? I think he needs some vitamin C pronto.

Hugs to all!
#16 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM

~~~~***Happy New Years, May Mamas We had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. Very family oriented, but we had a lot of "our" family time too, which was wonderful. I had off inbetween Christmas and New Years, and we did a lot of nothing, which was great, lol!! Last Tuesday the girls and I got all my scrapbooking stuff out in the family room, and we scrapbooked until Thursday! I took the girls to buy their own scrapbooks for all the pages they did, we had such a blast. The only "real" thing we did was take the girls to Bounce Depot. It's a huge inflatable place, they had a ton of fun.

But now it's back to work, although this weekend I have a girls scrapbooking weekend, which will be a lot of fun. One of my daycare kids got sick here, so hopefully we don't get it Oh well, tis the season, right??!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#17 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Hey Sydnee. Glad you had a nice holiday. The scrapbooking sounds like fun. We've been to one of those jumpy places when we were visiting family out of state, and the kids absolutely LOVED it! It was so fun for them (and I even snuck on a few times . They left completely sweaty, hot & exhausted. I wish we had one around here. It's be a great winter outing.

MaryLizah, I'm glad you are feeling better. I was worried about you. How's dh making out in France?

#18 of 55 Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Hey mamas,

I have a thread going in H&H. Long story short, DS has croup. Very scary.

He's feeling better now, though I'm still shaky.

I know it's wrong, but I feel like the universe is punishing us for something.

I miss my DH. This is so lonely.

Sorry, I'm really feeling sorry for myself right now.
#19 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM

aw, that sucks Mary. things like this always feel worse when your partner isn't around to offer support.
#20 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the welcome back!

Quote:
I have a thread going in H&H. Long story short, DS has croup. Very scary.
We just experienced croup for the first time about a month ago with DS. It was terrifying. We nearly called 911 but I remembered one of my friends saying if you get them outside in the cold air and then into a steamy shower they can usually catch their breath.

I had actually weaned my DS the week before but luckily was still lactating and nursed him that night (and decided that weaning in the middle of winter cold-flu season is not the best idea so we're happily nursing again).
#21 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Oh Mary, I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. Croup can be so scary. Is anything helping? We live near the beach & my ped said sometimes the moist ocean air can help w/breathing too. She said a drive to the beach w/the windows open can work wonders, of course that would be pretty cold right now. Did ds get the oral steroid? As awful as that sounds, it really helps. My kids have all had croup periodically and that is the one thing that truly stopped it. If I remember correctly it shrinks the inflamation that causes the croupy cough. I hope he is feeling better very soon and that things start looking up for you even sooner.

#22 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Oh, Mary, croup sounds awful. How is he doing? I know my dh would be a wreck too if he was so far away and Phoebe was really sick. How are you? It will get better, I promise.
#23 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Hi all,

We actually had a really good night last night. I had on our cool mist vaporizer, which made a really big difference. We both slept really well, hardly any coughing!

Max, he did get oral steroids and a steroid shot yesterday. Thank goodness, too. He really couldn't breathe.

He's calling for me, better run, but thanks again for all the support.
#24 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM

s:, Mary. That sounds really hard. And, actually, thanks for "whining" - I feel so whiny that misery loves company :

I totally thought I felt this baby move, even though I know rationally that at 8 weeks, it is much too small to be doing much. But it was a neat sensation anyway, even if my mind made it up! (No, it was NOT gas - I've got lots of that, too, but this was a totally different feeling).

DS2 is still working on his 2 year molars - anyone else going through teething right now?

#25 of 55 Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Oh Mary, hugs to you, mama! I will pray for a speedy recovery for the little man. Sending you cyber hugs!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#26 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Hi all. Today is dh's birthday - although LO is insisting it's hers. Everytime we mention "daddy's birthday" she yells, "No! Mine!" It's pretty funny, although I'm not certain if she is making a joke, or if she really thinks it's her birthday, just like when she insists everything else she likes is hers too. I bought dh a really nice hammock that we can either set up in the yard, or bring camping. It is set up in the living room right now to surprise him when he comes home. I'm also making one of his favorite meals - vegetarian enchiladas. Now we just need him to get home from work.

Mary, how's your little guy today? I hope he is feeling better and you both are getting some rest.

My ds is finally over the chicken pox & returned to school today. Amazingly no one else got it - but time will tell.

#27 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Yesterday, Phoebe said the weirdest thing about our cat. She said, totally matter-of-fact, like there was nothing weird about this at all, "in July, Jerome will die. And then he will get darker." : WTH? Where did that come from? If anything happens to our cat in July, I will be seriously freaked out.
#28 of 55 Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Hi everyone!

Mary good luck with the croup! That's so scary! Is your Dh still in Europe? It would be hard to deal with that alone!

Max- Clara also frequently thinks it's her birthday when it's others!

Mamabeakley-I hope this trimester goes by quickly for you!

Well in our neck of the woods not much happening, we are starting to look for a new church/start our own? Things have been getting weird there for a while, we were in denial that we needed to leave, but now we know we have to. There is some talk of a "house" church, where we meet to worship in people's homes that sounds exciting, but we'll see if it pans out! We are also really looking forward to trying to move back to Texas in about 6 months or so!!!: I really miss my family!

Clara said the funniest thing the other day, she said I want to go to Kindergarten right now, I told her that she couldn't go until she was 5 (if we ever let her go! we might homeschool!) then she said she just turned 5 yesterday, so I told her she had to stop going pee pee in her panties, and she said okay I stopped I can go to kindergarten! Too cute! (she didn't stop going in her panites though!) We just about have her back to being potty trained at pre baby levels but not quite! Well I have some new pics on my blog so check them out the girls are getting so big!! Talk to y'all later!

#29 of 55 Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Just wanted to share . . .

I did it!

I spent 16 hours yesterday doula-ing a birth! I have been so scared of how I was going to be able to serve the two families I am doula for this month before I expect to feel better, but I did it! This was actually the first birth I've attended where I didn't feel afterwards like I wished I had said something/done something I didn't, too (9th birth as a doula).

I just feel so non-functional at home all the time that I was worried I'd get to a birth and just collapse & be useless. I did have to pace myself more (probably a good skill to learn anyway) and I did have a moment of just really feeling down and grumpy about the whole thing, but the mom graciously okayed me taking a 1 hour nap break and after that I was able to get back with the program and do my job.

And - this is cool - the baby was born at 11:11 on 1/11! A vaginal birth to a mom whose sisters have all had c/s - she was really pleased with herself

#30 of 55 Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Great job Mamabeakley! Sounds like a really positive experience for everyone.

Kathryn, I'm sorry things aren't working out so well w/your church. I know how important it is in your life, but it sounds like you have a good plan. Our UU church actually started w/worships being held in people's homes. Then as the congregation grew they rented a couple of different spaces, and now we are moving into a home of our own next month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page