DC's interpretation of their birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 yo DS had this conversation with me last week:
DS: Mom, do you remember that? (pointing at my belly cast)
Me: Yes, that's when you were in my belly.
DS: Do you remember? Before I was in daycare I was in your belly. Then I came out. I came out of your penis. (he laughs). No. Or I came out of your bottom. (laughs again)
Me: Actually you came out of my yoni. (actually he was ripped out of my belly with an e c-section, but I WISH he had come out of my yoni.)
DS: Yea. Can you remember? Then I was upside down. And then the water came out and the water fell down ALL OVER the floor. Then there was a long snake in your belly. Then I came out. No, then there was not a snake. Then there was poo all over. Inside your belly, I think?
Me: No, there was not poo in my belly.
DS: Yea, well OK.

Does your DC remember their birth? Would you like to share their story? I have heard that children who remember their births forget at age 3 or 4. And since they have to be pretty verbal to express views about it, this leaves a tight window. (Mods, also the reason this thread is in toddler forum)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Well, I was an extremely verbal child (sentences before I was 2) and my parents were blown away when I asked if they remembered the bright lights, cold room, shouting, crying and how much it hurt when we visited the hospital to read to the blind. They asked me when this happened, and I didn't know it was my birth per say, but could articulate enough to lead them to believe I was remembering my birth experience. (It was traumatic for my mama and for me) They said I would talk about it every now and again, until around kindergarten.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Over time, dd has talked about some details. She has mentioned it was dark. And when it comes up, she usually says she came out of my belly to get mama milk.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 PM

That is so cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Over time, dd has talked about some details. She has mentioned it was dark. And when it comes up, she usually says she came out of my belly to get mama milk.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 AM

That is so cool that some kids can remember! I hadn't heard of that before. I am actually sort of hoping that DS does not remember his birth. It was extremely traumatic for both of us, and he had to be resuscitated. I cringe to think of what he must remember of it.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

User Tag List