swaddling a toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my almost 20 month old is sleeping better at naptime and bedtime when i pseudo swaddle her in her regular blanket. i nurse her to sleep 99% of the time, and i started tucking the blanket around her tightly to keep her hands off my other nipple and to lessen her awareness of me rolling away from her when she falls asleep. now im noticing that its basically swaddling, and that she falls asleep much faster and much sounder when i do this. we did swaddle for the first 7 months with a miracle blanket, and it worked wonders for helping her to get to sleep.

does anyone else have a toddler that they swaddle?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#2 of 3 Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 AM

My boy in 13 months & we just started swaddling again. It had been about 4 months since we'd stopped swaddling. As he is falling off after nursing he sometimes starts this wild thrashing. Swaddling dampens it down enough so that he won't hit himself or something else hard enough to wake him up. One night DH actually swaddled and then held in in both arms and finally threw a leg over him to still him - only then did he fall asleep. At his daycare I found out they had just started loosly swaddling him again, independent of our doing the same at home.

I don't get what is up with this newly asleep thrashing. It is beyond getting comfortable or myoclonic jerks (which DH has most nights upon falling asleep).

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#3 of 3 Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 AM

My 27 month old likes to be swaddled when awake and rocked when she feels stressed. She was swaddled until she was 19 months or so. In my husband's home country, children are swaddled until they outgrow their cribs, which is usually around 24 - 30 months.

I think the whole country is generally under-swaddled, personally, and that more swaddling, proper swaddling with an understanding that they occasionally cry a bit at first, would solve a lot of sleep problems. Not all, of course, but some.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page