grapes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
someone made a comment about my DD eating grapes at the supermarket (I bring her snacks) that would she choke they aren't cut up. She is 2 years 2 months and we stopped cutting up her grapes a long time ago.

should I still be cutting them up? never occurred to me that this would still be necessary, but since someone commented I thought I would ask. They may not have kids, or maybe my DD looks younger then she is and that's why they said that. or maybe I should still be cutting them up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:23 AM

DS is almost 3, but I haven't cut them in a long time. He likes them to be whole.
#3 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Where I live, daycares cannot serve grapes to toddlers. It's a licensing rule and it's due to choking (also not allowed to serve raisins, marshmellows, nuts of any kind, small candy, etc)
That said, I don't really see anything wrong with giving your 2 year old whole grapes. I mean, you're the mom and you know what she can handle. Keep in mind that the person who approached you in the store was probably doing it out of good intention. She just didn't want anything bad to happen to your DD.

One thought.... you might consider cutting up the grapes if your DD is going to be eating them in a situation that would increase the risk of choking anyway (or the risk of you not being able to help her if she did start choking)--i.e. on a picnic (where she might not be sitting the whole time), in the car, etc

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#4 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I don't think she meant anything bad by the comment. (I tend not to take offense or feel 'judged' but I listen to what people say and consider it) which is why I posted here for more opinions.

I didn't know that about daycares! (and I used to work in one lol)
#5 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 PM

I think it really depends on the child.
DS "graduated" to whole grapes quite some time ago, I think he was 17 or 18 months? Because he demonstrated that he was capable of chewing them consistently.
A friend's child is much older than DS yet she still needs them cut up because she will not chew them and it is a choking hazard.
It's like anything else, they develop at a different rate so what one child can do safely (say, climb stairs, walk, use a spoon) another might not be ready.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#6 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM

I don't tend to be overly cautious and stopped cutting grapes(or biting them in half)when my daughter was pretty little because she chewed them and I didn't see a problem.When she was 3 I had to stop her from choking on one.Not because she didn't know how to chew it but because she put it in her mouth just a little bit and sucked it in the rest of the way.It got stuck in her throat and she couldn't even make a noise.Thankfully I was right there and able to get it out.Grapes are just the perfect size and shape for getting stuck pretty easily.

#7 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yes. They are a major choking hazard and your child is at the supermarket (not sitting at a table.) I would cut them lengthwise.
#8 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 PM

I cut my 26 mo's grapes into quarters

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#9 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM

i dont cut my 2 yr olds grapes and havent since a relative gave them to her whole when she was around 16 mos old and she chewed them just fine. its a personal choice - dont sweat it!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#10 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for all the insight. rere - that could have happened with anything a child was eating! must have been scary though!

little grey you are right.. that is another thing I let DD go up and down stairs on her own because she is fine with it, but I think the recommended age is older then 2 for that too...
#11 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM

My DS gets grapes occasionally (mostly at his great grandparents where they have them most all the time, but esp if they know we/he is coming, and I dont think I've ever cut them up... I don't peel apples either though, or cut the crusts off his sandwiches, or anything of the sort. He's always managed just peachy fine.
#12 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:24 PM

I learned first-hand how different every child is. I stopped cutting up grapes for my DD pretty early - i don't remember exactly how old. But, she always chewed them really well, and never ever choked on anything. She just seemed really good about taking small bites.

However, one day I was with a friend and giving my DD and her DD (same age) small crackers one at a time. My DD was eating them fine and I was so used to giving her snacks this way. All of a sudden my friend's DD starting gagging and her mouth was FULL of crackers. She never chewed or swallowed any of them. I felt so bad, but I think I and her mom learned a lesson!
#13 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I agree with the PPs--every child is different, and you as her mother know what she can handle.

We didn't do purees and mush at all with DS, since we went the Baby Led Weaning route (placed regular food in front of him and let him eat when he was ready.) For that reason, he has had a lot more experience with solid foods than most toddlers his age, and I am pretty confident that he can handle such foods well. I started giving him whole grapes a few months ago, and he is 18 months old now. With foods like whole grapes, apples, and other "chokeables" I do supervise him closely...and I tend to cut them in halves if he will be eating them in the stroller or another place where I don't have him under constant supervision. But at home where I can see him-I just give them to him whole. He chews them well.
#14 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:43 PM

I haven't cut up DD's grapes in well over a year (she's 2.5 now). In fact, I often give them to her in a bunch on the stems. She does fine. I let her eat them in the car (in the backseat, rear facing). I suppose she might choke on them, but it's about as likely as her choking on any other food in the car. She's often walking around eating fruit.

I also let her eat whole apples. In fact, she eats the bottom half of the core too. I just don't worry about it.

Now, if she had a tendancy to choke, I wouldn't do those things. She gags periodically (less than once a week), coughs up what's slightly stuck, and moves on with eating. She's been good at that for well over a year.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#15 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower of Bliss View Post

I also let her eat whole apples. In fact, she eats the bottom half of the core too. I just don't worry about it.
LOL...so does my DS. In fact, he's been known to eat the whole core.
#16 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM

I don't cut up grapes for my 2 year old either and never have. I just pay attention when he's eating something like that. I let him eat popcorn, cherry tomatoes and all sorts of other things that are choking hazards. Just be sure you know the heimlich manuever and don't let other people get to you.
#17 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM

I cut my son's in half, and he's almost 25 months. I'm too paranoid not to.
#18 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I run a home childcare and cut up grapes for all daycare children under the age of 5.

I don't often do it anymore for my dsage2 outside daycare hours though -- I might serve them whole at the table, but if I am packing a "to go" snack that might be eaten while walking around or riding in the car, I do cut them.

I used to slightly crush grapes with my finger before giving them to him when we'd get some and it wasn't convenient to cut them properly.

I had a dangerous choking incident with my ddthenage4 when she got into a bowl of hard candy and ete some while hopping around with friends. One became lodged in her throat -- terribly scary but long story short, she ended up ok.
#19 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 PM

I wonder how many of us cutters' children have had choking incidents and if that plays into it. My son choked pretty bad when he was around a year old and I always chop everything down really small. Although I also can't imagine letting him go up and down stairs by himself, so maybe I'm just paranoid?

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#20 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM

I give my 17 month old DS whole grapes :

I agree with PPs, you're the mom and you know what he can handle. You wouldn't believe the reaction I got at a pedi visit when he was 11 months old and she heard I gave him apple... you would have thought I told her I was giving him a knife and a plastic bag to play with. I guess I'm just more lax than others but I am completely confident if my DS were to start choking that I could take care of it- I have and will have to in the future I'm sure .
#21 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM

ds is 29 months and really loves all "oval" foods. Grapes, cherry tomatoes, olives etc. I don't cut them anymore b/c he likes the bursting factor... but I don't let him snack on that stuff unless he's where I can see him and he's not running around.
#22 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 PM

I once saw a child die from choking on a grape.

She died right in front of us, in a school cafeteria. The Heimlich maneuver was performed, multiple times, correctly; it didn't work. Sometimes it doesn't. The child in question was 5 years old. It can happen even if you're right there, and it can happen so fast you can't stop it. Even a child who knows how to chew a grape can make a mistake and accidentally swallow one.

I cut up grapes, small tomatoes, olives, cherries, and anything of a similar size. I also don't allow hard or very chewy candies of that size. Something smaller doesn't worry me-- they might gag, but it won't plug the airway. A grape is just exactly the right size to clog the trachea, and the Heimlich maneuver doesn't always put enough pressure to dislodge the item.

I'll see that little girl's face in my dreams for the rest of my life.......

I'm not a safety nut. I let my DD1 outside alone, and I let her eat off the floor, and handle knives, and all kinds of other dangerous things. But this one I take seriously.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#23 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 PM

DS is 3 and likes them whole - he usually cuts them in half with his teeth or chew them up whole.
#24 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I once saw a child die from choking on a grape.

She died right in front of us, in a school cafeteria. The Heimlich maneuver was performed, multiple times, correctly; it didn't work. Sometimes it doesn't. The child in question was 5 years old. It can happen even if you're right there, and it can happen so fast you can't stop it. Even a child who knows how to chew a grape can make a mistake and accidentally swallow one.

I cut up grapes, small tomatoes, olives, cherries, and anything of a similar size. I also don't allow hard or very chewy candies of that size. Something smaller doesn't worry me-- they might gag, but it won't plug the airway. A grape is just exactly the right size to clog the trachea, and the Heimlich maneuver doesn't always put enough pressure to dislodge the item.

I'll see that little girl's face in my dreams for the rest of my life.......

I'm not a safety nut. I let my DD1 outside alone, and I let her eat off the floor, and handle knives, and all kinds of other dangerous things. But this one I take seriously.
thats horrible thank you for sharing this insight though. How small do you cut up your DC's food and until what age would you cut it up that small. I see all foods as choking hazards thats why I ask. I make sure to cut up things like meat small, but never though to grapes since they are so easy to chew.
#25 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 PM

LOL...i m now learning a LOT with ds about why other parents seemd sort of horrified when I let dd do things......different kids are DIFFERENT.
DD was just so...sturdy, and big and strong and independent and..GROWN-UP.....she could sit up completely by herelf at 3.5 months, crawled at 5 months, walked at 9 months, including up and down stairs..she NEVER did the "wobbly" thing, her walk was really steady and even from the start, etc. She was also HUGE - 20 lbs at 3.5 months, 31 pounds at 8 months.
enter DS...he couldn't sit up til 6 months, finally got around to walking the week of his birthday, but even now, almost 2 months later, is still wobbly and falls, and no way in heck would I feel okay letting him near the stairs...he also grabs as much food as he can and crams it into his mouth until he gags/chokes, whereas dd always chewwed and swallowed and never once gagged or had anything like a choking incident. Ds is also a tiny little dude, barely the size of a 6 month old at over a year...he just seems so fragile and little....but dd was a huge bruiser who always seemed twice as old as she was....

Ds still gets his grapes cut but for some reason i let him have blueberries whole..LOL..not sure why..the blueberries are smaller...I guess.

CPST
#26 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glue Mommy View Post
thats horrible thank you for sharing this insight though. How small do you cut up your DC's food and until what age would you cut it up that small. I see all foods as choking hazards thats why I ask. I make sure to cut up things like meat small, but never though to grapes since they are so easy to chew.
It's the shape of grapes (and hot dogs) that's the problem, not the size necessarily. I know a second grader who choked on a hot dog at school. He could have died if his teacher wasn't nearby. Luckily, she chose that day to have lunch with her class.
#27 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

hmmmm i see.....
#28 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM

I *just* read somewhere how you (the collective you, of course) should cut grapes in at least halves until 4 years of age. The theory is-is that grapes are just about the perfect fit, size and shape, of the windpipe. It is quite easy for the grape to slip down the throat when the child goes to bite/ chew it.

My oldest is almost 3 and I still halve his grapes. He eats way too fast and it is an easy thing for me to do that gives me a little peace of mind. But, that is my child and I know him. You know your child and know what is best for him/ her, you know?

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#29 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

thank you Leah. I do feel like I know my child well, but at the same time I am the kind of person who rather be safe then sorry, especially when its something as simple as just cutting the grapes. I am thankful for all the honest insight from everyone here.
#30 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 PM

Cutting (or biting) a grape into a couple of pieces takes so little time. It really seems worth that little bit of effort.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page