Baby benadryl??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, not really wanting to use baby benadryl. But I am wondering if anyone has some sort of natural remedy to help an 18 month old sleep in the car. Trips are a nightmare! My other two kids (four year old DS and four month old DD) can't sleep. 18 month old DD is like a fire alarm, her screaming is unbelievably loud. She has hated riding in cars since birth. It's horrible! Have I said how awful it is?

Anyway, we have a three hour trip to get to grandma and grandpa's house. We travel at night so hopefully she will sleep so the other two can sleep and DH and I aren't a stressed out mess by the time we arrive. Sometimes it works. Most of the time she will doze for half an hour and then wake up and scream, "Down, down, down," the other two and a half. I've tried snacks, juice, books, new toys. They all work for about 10 minutes.

After our last trip, DH says we are NOT doing this again. We have to find something to put her out because it isn't fair to everyone else. We'd like to find something natural. Any thoughts to get her to sleep?
#2 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Is she better in the car during the day? My foster daughter hates being in the dark in the car. Can you sit next to her?
#3 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Good thoughts. Right now the four month old sits next to her and DS is in the back. But maybe that would help for me to sit next to her.

She is like this day or night. But you gave me a thought. Maybe I could get her a mini flashlight or something lighted to play with.
#4 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM

That is really frustrating. DS was like that for a long time... I was always amazed he could cry for 3 hours staight w/o falling asleep.

We finally broke down and bought a DVD player for the car. We'd listen to a Baby Einstein for 3 hours but better than a screaming child.

We actually tried Benadryl but it seemed to amp him up more.

Good Luck
#5 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM

I second the DVD player. Although we don't use one anymore, there was a time period where car rides were MISERABLE and we resorted to the DVD player. Baby einstein saved our live on trips. She will grow out of it I promise

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#6 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Rescue Remedy, maybe?
#7 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:21 PM

WHatever ou try, givie it a trial run first-Benadryl made my daughter more hyper. I sue kids gravol for long car trips. That's becasue she gets carsick, but it does knock her out. Altho I think Benadryl does now too, but she is 3 1/2. Benadryl didn't work that way around 2!
#8 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 AM

yep, be careful with the benadryl. I am a big fan of using medications when they help, but my DS was up for 14 hours straight when we tried it at 15 months.
#9 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM

I have travelled by air a bit with my lo (21 months) and always take Calms Forte with me. I don't know if it's more of a placebo for me or if it actually works but seems to keep him from getting super worked up when tired. He also loves to take the tiny tablets which dissolve (milk-based so they're a little sweet) so sometimes it works as a distraction as well.
#10 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM

am I missing something? Over here Benadryl is an antihistamine - i.e. for an allergic reaction. How would that help a child sleep in the car?

Claire - wife of 1, mum of 2! Jess 10-01-96, Millie 08-11-06
#11 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
It is an antihistamine but it makes most people really tired. I wouldn't use it with a toddler unless I absolutely had to though.
#12 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM

I know that the op isn't considering beneydrl, but I wanted to add my own horrific Benedryl experience. My dd had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic last year and her ped prescribed it every six hours for three days, or until her hives and swelling diminshed to the point where she wasnt itching, which was about three days for her. It was three days of sheer, unadulterated hell! DD would literally spin in a circle, while laughing maniacly, she was just climbing the walls and barely slept. Benedryl knocks me out like a light, I just don't get it.
We broke down and got a dvd player for long car trips. It was something that I swore I would never do, but it has saved our sanity many times.
#13 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM

It's called a paradoxical reaction. Most people will find that it makes them sleepy, but some people, and more kids than adults, will find that it makes them hyper.
#14 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
It's called a paradoxical reaction. Most people will find that it makes them sleepy, but some people, and more kids than adults, will find that it makes them hyper.
Interesting to know, thanks. I had never known anyone else to have that kind of reaction before, though the ped said that it was "not abnormal."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page