What's a good gift for a 14 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for one nice xmas gift for my 14 month old. We have so much plastic junk, I'm looking for something nice and imaginative. Thanks!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#2 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Banned

It's plastic - sorry - but my dd loved MEGA bloks at that age - also Little People stuff

If you want to go Waldorf, try some wooden toys... there are all kinds of things - puzzles - also something really special would be BRIO trains They have special bulky ones for little babes

You can find them online www.brio.com
#3 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 01:30 AM

What about books (always a hit here), chunky wooden blocks (dd got a Ryans Room set & they're SO nice), a baby doll, shape sorter, musical instruments (xylaphone, drum, shakers)(Christmas Tree Shops had a set w/a tamboreen (how ya spell that, LOL), bells & a triangle for $9.99, all wooden & nice), a music cd to listen to, bath toys. Those are all things my dd would/did like.
HTH
Amy
#4 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 01:34 AM

My dd is 14 months and she just received a hokey pokey elmo and absolutely loves it!! I would never have bought it, but a close friend did and she claps and dances and adores it!

They also have little drum sets that have maracas and little whistles, bells etc. and she loves that a lot too!!!

That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps!
#5 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Banned

Sorry - that's a bad link!

try this: http://www.brioplay.com/main.asp

Also - I just thought books were a given... definitely a great thing for gifts.
#6 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 02:56 AM

I 2nd Oatmeals suggestion of BRIO trains... I think they are better than Thomas (way more variety) and young kids LOVE them. My 3.5 yr old son still plays with his Thomas set (he can take it out of a plastic bin when he wants).

If not... one of my fav books is:

The McDuff Stories by Rosemary Wells. Hard-cover book, four short, simple stories of a little dog and his two owners. Very old-fashioned and sweet.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#7 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 08:10 PM

At that age DS loved this and this type of toy. He still loved them and he's 20 mos now.

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#8 of 10 Old 12-18-2003, 09:38 PM

My DD was 14 months last Christmas and we gave her a wooden tabletop stove (ordered it from Lillian Vernon on sale for $15). It's a simple wooden two burner play stove that came with a couple of wooden pans, a wooden fried egg, a pot holder, and spatula. She absolutely adores it and has played with it every single day the past year. Very creative and fun. Definitely her favorite toy.
#9 of 10 Old 12-19-2003, 01:30 AM

For Christmas my 13 month old is getting a cloth bowling set, a wooden drum, a music tape, books, cloth fairy doll. Something that looks nice is Radio Flyer's Rolling Pony.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#10 of 10 Old 12-19-2003, 03:17 AM

The biggest hit for us at 12mo (turned 1 two days after christmas) were some stacking/nesting cups. They make a lot of puzzle like and interesting wooden ones too...would find many uses for them in older play too.

Mine loved mega blocks at that age and still plays with them every day....every 6 months or so we add another bag because his buildings keep getting more elaborate. Wooden blocks would also be good, but probably the bigger ones at that age...ds is just now playing with the little ones. Maracas, drums, and other musical instruments are a big hit too. Little tykes makes a set that is rated for 3yo, but I got one for mine at 1yo and he has loved it. (I can not tell why it is rated for 3yo). Mine wouldn't have gotten into the toy stove idea, but that is might just be him...he is much more into things he can bang or build.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page