How do I get my 2 year old to sleep by himself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has always slept with me and his father and it has been a wonderful experience for all of us. We never minded him snoozing away while we made love but now that he is older he wakes up whenever we start getting close and watches us. Naturally it has become awkward and we pretty much don't have sex anymore. We want another child but can't seem to get a minute alone to concieve. We would like to move him into his own bed but he won't sleep there for more than an hour or two. How do I get him to have a good night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinatgb View Post
My son has always slept with me and his father and it has been a wonderful experience for all of us. We never minded him snoozing away while we made love but now that he is older he wakes up whenever we start getting close and watches us. Naturally it has become awkward and we pretty much don't have sex anymore. We want another child but can't seem to get a minute alone to concieve. We would like to move him into his own bed but he won't sleep there for more than an hour or two. How do I get him to have a good night?

Our ds is only 15 mos. and not ready for his own bed. He's the same way - he only sleeps an hour by himself. So I put him down, dh and I have fun in the living room Once ds wakes up I just go back in, settle him down again, and then we have another hour of adult time before we hit the sack (ds goes to sleep around 8:30/9pm).

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take your love making to a different room. It's very easy. Or else put your son to sleep in a different room and then go get him when he wakes.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM

You need more than an hour or two?

I think we must be doing something wrong....

No really, I'd just get him to sleep and go have fun in the other room. Or get him to sleep on his own mattress or bed for the hour or two he'll sleep for and then get him and bring him to bed.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Can you put a little bed beside your bed? That's what we did when DD was about 14mo. She starts the night there and when she wakes up she just comes up with me into the big bed. We get PLENTY of... personal time

Sometimes yeah she'll only stay there an hour, but other times she'll be there almost all night. Sometimes she even gladly goes BACK to her bed after waking and either nursing or cuddling back to sleep. We certainly don't expect her to STAY in her bed all the time yet (she's 26mo now... and of course we still LOVE cuddling with her at night!) but as long as she's there *some* of the time, we get our couple time, and she's gradually working towards her sleep independence on her own pace.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 PM

We use the guest room for sex. If we didn't have a guest room, we'd use the living room or something. I was never comfortable having sex on the same surface DD was sleeping on (though we had a double bed until she was 17 months, so no space for both her and sex, and once we got a bigger bed she was already too old to expect her to sleep through anything like that). DD's 2.5, co-sleeping, and I'm 17 weeks pregnant.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 AM

How do I get my 7 year old to sleep by herself? The two year old doesn't bother me. We conveniently have more than one room in our house. When we first met eons ago we had sex everywhere - so it won't kill us to do it on the living room floor or the futon. I don't enjoy carpet burn, so we put a sheet underneath us and usually put a sheet over us as well. That's helpful if we are interrupted.

Honestly, I'm not too stressed about my 7 year old dd. She usually sleeps with her father in her bed because she doesn't like to sleep alone. Tonight she is sleeping in "the big bed" with her brother until I go to bed. Dh gets to have her twin bed all to himself. It is crowded with two people. lol

Many adults prefer to sleep with someone else. If adults don't like to sleep alone, then why would we expect a 2 year old or a 7 year old to do so?

She will not be sleeping with us forever, but it works for us for now.

Putting a little bed in your bedroom is a great idea that often works well. We thought about doing that when dd was younger, but we didn't have room in our bedroom for another bed. Some people have wall-to-wall beds in the bedroom, but I don't want my dogs walking across the bed - yuck!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

User Tag List