bike/tricycle for 3 yr old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd will be 3 in June and dh and I want to get her a bike for her b-day. I'm not sure whether a child her age would do better with a tricycle, a tricycle with a push handle for me to push her incase she gets stuck or tired, or a small bike with training wheels. I can't afford anything more than $75-ish, but would like to stay around $40-50. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM

We have a Red Rider trike for our son who will also be 3 in June. He loves it, but is still getting the hang of pedaling. I have no idea how much it cost though, it was a Christmas gift.
#3 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Have you thought about a run bike?
#4 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 PM

We bought the Dora big wheel for our DD's 3rd b-day but she wasn't able to peddle it until she turned 3 1/2 (and she is pretty tall). She loved it though (it talks!) and I think it only cost around $35.
I also saw a Radio Flyer scooter in TRU for $50 (pink one too!) for 2-5 yo. My DD loved it - it is much wider than regular scoooters. Even my tiny 2 yo could manage. Perfect for a 3 yo.
#5 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Have you thought about a balance bike, like the Skuut? This is so much better than either a tricycle or a bike with training wheels, IMO. Our dd *loves* hers, and will be able to go to a regular bike this summer and skip the training wheels phase altogether. Last summer, when she was three, it made it possible for me to take long, brisk walks and have her keep up with no trouble, which was a nice bonus. Check it out!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#6 of 16 Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM

I got my DS this Radio Flyer with steerable push bar last spring, and he loved it. He learned to pedal very quickly, and the parent bar became useless quite soon after. He actually broke it because he pushed too hard against my steering and the bar no longer controls the bike. Currently he rides it on his own, and he LOVES the yellow trunk on it.

He is getting a Schwinn Roadster for his 3rd birthday this year. I have heard great reviews about it. The thing that I like about it is that it has real wheels. The wheels on the RF are hard plastic, and they lose their grip on the pavement. My DS is too strong for the RF bike, I guess!

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#7 of 16 Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
Have you thought about a run bike?
:
We just got my two year old a Strider run bike and even my almost 5 yr old LOVES it!
#8 of 16 Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 AM

We have a few things (ah, grandparents!) that we like.
1. A Kiddio by Kettler trike with push bar. Great for longer walks. Great for using as a stroller with my 2 year old.
2. A collapsable trike by Radio Flyer. Great for around the driveway and in the basement.
3. A teeny tiny bike with training wheels. Ours is older than the hills but this is the basic idea of what it is. http://comfortfirst.com/p-45169-radi...r-bicycle.aspx My oldest loves it because it is like the "big kids" bikes but it is manageable. We got it at a garage sale for $2.

If I could only have one, it would be the trike with push bar. It is the most versitile of the three. My friend was saying that children shouldn't have actual bikes until they are 5 or so and their bones have solidified. She usually has good information but I haven't read that myself.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#9 of 16 Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM

I'm a huge fan of balance bikes. DS does have a cheapie plastic 3 wheeler that I got at a garage sale, it stays at his Grandma's. We got him a Glider Rider balance bike for 2nd bday and he loves it and got the hang of it all on his own.
When we go for walks with the bike, I also bring the stroller along so if he decides to stop riding the bike I just put it in the lower part of the stroller.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#10 of 16 Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM

DS has a Radio Flyer tricycle and enjoys it. But it looks like he's slowly growing out of it- his knees are close to hitting the handle bars he pushes on the pedals. I think his next bike with more than likely be a balance bike.
#11 of 16 Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your ideas, mamas! Dh and I have decided to get dd a balance bike for her birthday. I think she'll really love it.

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#12 of 16 Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM

DS (2 1/2) has a trike and a 2 wheeler (with training wheels). He can use either one (and he's really short LOL). They're pretty cheap too- depending on where you go. You can def get one less than 75.

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#13 of 16 Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercp8 View Post
He is getting a Schwinn Roadster for his 3rd birthday this year. I have heard great reviews about it. The thing that I like about it is that it has real wheels. The wheels on the RF are hard plastic, and they lose their grip on the pavement. My DS is too strong for the RF bike, I guess!
We got our (then 2.5yo) dd the Schwinn Roadster for xmas and it is FABULOUS. She managed to pedal it immediately even though she's never pedaled anything else. The air tires are really smooth and it just flies along. Also the geometry of it is perfect for a small child: low center of gravity, pedals to the front, comfy seat. I can't say enough good things about it. DD's is pink and black, very rockabilly.
#14 of 16 Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM

my dd will be 3 soon and she's getting a tiny bike with training wheels. We got it and a helmet at a garage sale for less than 5$

She has a plastic push and go bike that either i can push or she can do herself. When she was young she liked me pushing it, now she can do it herself and only needs help if stuck in the grass

she has a metal trike that is adjustable. She doesn't really like it and rarely gets on it. It is similar to the bike we got her so we'll see how she likes it.

Go for garage sales since the stuff is much cheaper, but still fine to use. And if it doesn't work for your kiddo you are not out a bunch of money then

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#15 of 16 Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
We got our (then 2.5yo) dd the Schwinn Roadster for xmas and it is FABULOUS. She managed to pedal it immediately even though she's never pedaled anything else. The air tires are really smooth and it just flies along. Also the geometry of it is perfect for a small child: low center of gravity, pedals to the front, comfy seat. I can't say enough good things about it. DD's is pink and black, very rockabilly.
Glad you like it so much. WE are buying 2 of these for our twins this spring. I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
#16 of 16 Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreen713 View Post
Thanks for all your ideas, mamas! Dh and I have decided to get dd a balance bike for her birthday. I think she'll really love it.
I think you're making a great decision there. We bought one for our DS when he was a baby (we were in Germany and the bike was cheap $40). Anyway, DS has really started to ride it lately. He'll be 3 in June. We have 2 trikes, but he doesn't have much interest in them. The balance bike is always a hit with the kids coming to visit!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page