2.5 yo up for hours in the middle of the night - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else had this "issue" come up? My DS has been waking at 1 or 2 am and staying up for 3 hours!!! He's just over a pretty bad flu (rotavirus) and is very tired despite his inability to sleep in the middle of the night. He's also resisting his daytime nap, which is not altogether unusual.

DH thinks we should take DS out for dinner and stay out a little later than normal and tire him out. His bedtime is 7pm (asleep by 7) and he's quite tired today so I don't know if that's a good or terrible idea?!

Could this be the 2yr molars? Anything else? I'm so tired I want to cry.... all suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Hugs to you mama.We had been there with my then almost 2 year old btw.Oct and Dec. We had a few nights like that every week during that period.I promise this too shall pass,just be patient and hang in there.
I guess it is a developmental thing.
#3 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Man, I am so hoping someone posts some awesome idea. My son has been doing this every night since the 1st of Jan. He did STTN Friday, but we haven't changed anything. It was just some sort of miracle.

It is so not fun, huh.

#4 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hugs to you mama. That is rough.

I don't know if this will work for you but when I run into these kind of issues I usually just really talk about it with DD or DS. I explain that he/she is tired and that sleep fixes tired... we need to sleep so that we can feel better and have more energyt to play and not be cranky.

I just talk about it all day and we work out a plan. I am a huge believer in the power of suggestion. I used Chamomile but you could use warm milk. I explain that if he/she wakes up in the night, then I will give them the magic tea or milk that will allow them to go right back to sleep! And then they will feel so much better the next day, etc etc.

Then when they wake up I don't let them get up, I just rub their back and sing or just say "sssshhhhh" until they are drowsy or sleeping again.

Also just a random idea... I know this works for night terrors but maybe it will work for this too... If you disrupt their sleep cycle an hour or so before they usually wake up (or have a night terror) then they might not wake up at the usual time. You could try it before you go to bed - just rouse him a little bit. Don't wake him up completely just enough to disrupt the cycle. It's worth a try maybe.

Good luck and let us know what works for you!

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07).
#5 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 PM

: Mine is doing this, not sure why.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM

DS will do this for a few nights in a row, every now and then. It's pure torture, but thankfully has always been temporary.

DH and I take it in turns - an hour each - to be up with him, so that we can both still get some sleep.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page