18 months no walking/no "real" words - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my lo is 18 months today. super super busy guy. very curious and lots of energy. he pulls himself up and climbs all over everything. crawls really fast. stands and cruises but will not, absolutely refuses, to even attempt walking.
he can stand alone. i've seen him do it but he just will not do it consistently or without prompting.

also, he babbles constantly, with inflection, but will not repeat words. won't say "mama". kind of says "dada" but has a whole language of his own and convincingly uses it as if we understand him.
won't point to body parts or the light or the kitty when asked "where's ____" or do any of those other word/object identification i see other babies doing.

we spend all day with him- either dh or i or both and talk to him constantly. he is very grumpy and frustrated a lot of the time.

he also refuses to eat anything but cheerios, some rice, and banana. and boob. lots and lots of boob. still waking to nurse at night 3-4 times. (it's wearing me out at this point.)

normal? am i missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Well, to be honest, that is a number of mile stones to be late on. I would check to see if you or your dh were late with milestones- as that can be an indicator that it is normal for your family. However, if it doesn't run in the family- I would look into getting an evaluation for those delays, and probably a hearing test too.

Can he follow one step directions like "Get your cup" or "Give me your shoe"? If not that indicates a delay in both receptive and expressive communication- which I think is much more concerning than the walking- it sounds like he's on his way towards walking.

I would not panic- lots of kids have delays, get therapy and catch up well before school age, but I would take it seriously and start with a hearing test.

Peace,

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#3 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM

I agree with OTMomma.... all those things together would make me think an evaluation is in order. Even if he turns out to just be a late bloomer it can set your mind at ease.

Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Is he pointing otherwise--to show you stuff? If so that is reassuring developmentally. The things you mention though, whether pointing or not, are delays. There are lots of reaons for delays. Early intervention (EI) evaluation is free. That's where I would start. My kiddo was delayed in a lot of areas as well. He's doing well. It's always better to know what you're dealing with than when you are wondering. There is a special needs parenting board here too should you have questions for those of us with experience with developmental delays.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would have EI come out and do an evaluation. That way you have a professional opinion.
#6 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son was similar to yours in speech and did not walk until 22 months. He was classified by EI and a Developmental Pedi as delayed. One of the first things they ask for speech is if we have gotten his hearing tested. Have you tried sign language? It really helped reduce some frustrations here....

Where we are EI comes to the house and does "play" therapy for speech, OT, PT, or whatever. Its nice, we don't have to go anywhere and DS loved his therapists.
#7 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 AM

The walking wouldn't worry me since it sounds like he's on his way, but the lack of expressive and receptive language is concerning. I think I would have to do an evaluation for that.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#8 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I would have EI come out and do an evaluation. That way you have a professional opinion.
Agreed.

Hang in there! my son was a late talker (2 years) but at almost 3 he will not stop chatting for even a second! he wakes up in his sleep telling me weird stories!

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#9 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
It's free and will give you a lot of good information. It's done at home, so it's a comfortable environment. We had DD evaluated at 18 months since she had no words (we did get a hearing test first) and she qualified due to an expressive speech delay.

Mom to my 2 girls (11/06 and 12/08)
owner of Snooty Booty Diapers~ use code "mdc" for 5% off your order!
#10 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

id get an evaluation for sure, even if it is "normal" in your famil. EI is so importan when needed, and when not needed it doesnt do any harm to have had it and it just turn out your child was a late bloomer. especially if its causing your DC to be frustrated!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page