Where to find modest girl clothe - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbuns View Post
um...i see longer length capri shorts EVERYWHERE for toddler girls. and the longer shorts for boys? it's the style. they are dressing the same as "sexy teenage boys" i guess.

you would be shocked on the beach in europe. guys and baby boys wear speedos. has NOTHING to do with "showing skin" or sex. it has to do with STYLE. the the US, girls wear shorter shorts, skirts, etc. boys don't. they wear swim trunks and cargo shorts. big whoop. boys don't wear shirts either.

and back in the 70's and 80's ALL kids wore super short shorts. it was quite simply: the. style.

dudes in shorts: http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.22677312.jpg

girls in shorts: http://www.thevintagepeddler.com/i/P...2200900154.jpg

little boy outfit: http://weirdbabe.typepad.com/photos/..._boy_40s_3.JPG

not the best examples but i think children's clothes just follow trends. and i don't see the trend right now as being bad or sleazy for girl children. and i have a feeling that zebra outfit thing is a costume, i have never seen a child dressed like that besides for halloween or dress up time.
Ok. And I choose to not follow the "trend" of dressing my daughter to show too much skin. If boys and girls had the same length shorts, there wouldn't be an issue. Your example of speedo's is like comparing apples to pineapples. The point, is that in the United States (near St. Louis to be exact, if that matters) our girs are "expected" to show more skin than the boys. That's plain sexist. I won't support it. I'm not telling others to follow suit. You can dress your girl however you wish. I'm doing the same.

And FTR, I have yet to find knee length girl shorts around here. Online? Sure. But I won't buy kid clothes online because sizes run small/big, etc. I've found spandex capri's but not normal flowing capri's. I shop cheap too. I can get what I'm looking for in the boys section for pennies on the dollar versus going to department store to get "pink" shorts to properly cover my girl.

Quote:

and i brought up speedos because somebody was complaining about how the length of shorts means we are training 18 months olds to "show legs". i was just saying it's a style, nothing less.
Complaining? Nope. I'm stating facts. At least with your speedo example BOTH sexes wore the same. As someone else posted, it's even worse in Europe using women as sex objects--using boobs to sell anything from pasta to soda. Women are generally seen as sex objects bearing skin. Hate to break it to you. I'm surprised (and sad) that a lot of mothers (in general, as a whole) subject their daughters to that and carry on this demeaning "trend".

Once we get past the toddler size clothes, we get to go to the "big girl's section" where it gets worse.
#92 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That's why I love Gymboree and Gap (both on sale and with coupons.) Little girls can look like little girls.

But, I don't see the problem with many halter tops. My foster daughter got this one for her birthday. Her back will be exposed but there isn't anything inappropriate showing- and I'm no fan of a lot of children's clothing.

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_it...view=ALTERNATE

My problem with Gymboree (and lots of other retailers) is that their girls shirts tend to say things like "sweet" and "cute" and "happy" and "Santa's Favorite" and their boys shirts have messages that are more negative- late, dirty, "All I got was a lump of coal."
#93 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Complaining? Nope. I'm stating facts. At least with your speedo example BOTH sexes wore the same. As someone else posted, it's even worse in Europe using women as sex objects--using boobs to sell anything from pasta to soda. Women are generally seen as sex objects bearing skin. Hate to break it to you. I'm surprised (and sad) that a lot of mothers (in general, as a whole) subject their daughters to that and carry on this demeaning "trend".

Once we get past the toddler size clothes, we get to go to the "big girl's section" where it gets worse.

i don't think it's worse in europe at all. i just went swimming to a public pool and changed in a mixed locker room. it is not like OH MY GOD BOOBS!!!!! in europe. in saunas it's often mixed for adults and they are totally nude. nothing sexual about it. call me weird but i really don't see anything sexual about boobs in an unsexual situation. they are a body part.

in france many girls and women are topless at the beach and it's not a big deal, in the US someone's dress slips during an award ceremony and it's a big news story. which is worse??

i don't think women are demeaning their toddler children and making them dress "slutty" because they are in a pair of totally normal mainstream shorts or short denim skirt, and i think it's *sad* other mothers would think so.
#94 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 PM

I'm glad I am not the only one who HATES to see a bikini on a little girl!

I am so tired of the little tiny skirts and such.

It's really sad.

As for "trends" and whats in "style", I think that your child can look presentable and be dressed modestly. I mean, do we want our kids to feel as though they have to follow a style or trend to be accepted? I mean if G string bathing suits were the "style" I still would not wear one, if everyone on the beach thought I was weird, SO BE IT!

I just think we need to stop using what is in "style" to excuse provocative clothing for little girls.
#95 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
and like i said and suggested, the clothes appropriate for this woman's culture are right under her nose: at old navy, gap, and TCP, etc. i wasn't going for the "omg all toddler clothes are sleazy! where do i find normal stuff" because i quite simply am not buying it. between the mall and the internet it's not hard to find cute clothes to cover your little girl how ever you want.

and i brought up speedos because somebody was complaining about how the length of shorts means we are training 18 months olds to "show legs". i was just saying it's a style, nothing less.

and i have NO CLUE what "circles" dress their toddlers in halter tops and high heels. i've only seen that stuff in beauty pageants.
Well I don't know who is wearing that either, but SOMEBODY must be buying it, because they keep selling it!

And I agree that there are a lot of decent clothes, but I know when I first came back to the U.S. (which I suppose would be slightly more overwhelming than first stepping into the toddler section) I was shocked by the styles of clothing and many times was so turned off, I just left the store and went somewhere else and went online. I just made the assumption that this was the style of the line and that collections would be more or less, how shall we say, coherent. Well the ON and Gap collections are not really coherent, not like Gymboree, Petit Bateau, or even Baby Zara. But I did not know that until I had to really scour for items that are in Europe, standard (plain white tees with delicate edges, but which do not have princess decals on them) but which here, apparently, are only allowed after you turn 12.

Quote:
I really didn't like was the trend of putting little boys in swim diapers and no shirt, and little girls in swim diapers with a little bikini top that went across the chest to cover their nipples. One time I had to buy a swim diaper because we forgot a suit, and I bought a boy's bottom. There is just no reason for a girl to wear a bikini top and a boy not to, IMO.
Well that trend (no bottoms? why? what if your toddler is potty-trained, are they the only one in a suit?) is not going on here, but I totally agree. I was thinking about this thread and how really, a little girl swimming in just a pair of plain white cotton panties is much more modest than in, say, a one-piece with flowers on the nipples. Again, it's not a question of skin, it's a question of what the clothing is meant to draw attention to.

Nothing wrong with a halter-top dress nowadays on an innocent-looking sundress... I think what people are objecting to are the halter-top tanks with mini-shorts, etc.

Gymboree has some really nice sales on right now with free shipping for orders over $100 which sounds like a lot but if you buy for the next two seasons you can easily manage if you buy most of your stuff there. I already shopped the outlet store so bought nothing, but OP, check it out, very nice stuff and knee-length skirts for under $13...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#96 of 100 Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I have a photo on my desk of my MIL, her sister, and her niece. The two women are wearing long, loose clothes, headcoverings, etc. The child is wearing a midriff bearing tanktop and shorter-length shorts. The adult women are dressed as such because in their community that is how adult women dress. The little girl is dressed as such explicitly because she's not an adult woman.

I understand that it's murkier in a culture in which adult women dress similarly to the manner in which this little girl dressed for the photo. But at the same time, skimpy itself doesn't flatly mean sexualized ... sometimes it means the exact opposite.
This is a very interesting sentiment to me. My mother and I tend to dress much more conservatively than most women I know, long loose clothing, and I'm actually exploring head covering right now; on the other hand, my two daughters who are very young dress in ways that others may find 'skimpy'.

They both wear panties and tanks in the summer, and if it's very hot my youngest (fifteen months) will probably spend lots of time in just a bathing suit bottom. For us, children are children and are held to different standards than a grown woman.

Not that I hold everyone to the same standard of course. We choose to dress how we do for personal reasons; but my daughters are free to be the little people they are and are treated as such. No one in my close circle of family or friends would bat an eye at a skimpily and/or half naked child - there's tons of them, and they look like babies to us.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#97 of 100 Old 03-27-2009, 01:59 AM

i like kohls for my 2 smallest dd's . they are *almost* 4 & 13 months.
they both will be wearing 18 months in shorts this summer . the baby will wear 18 month shirts & the 4 year old 3T.

i think kohls jumping beans line has alot of cute , little girl clothes that are age appropriate & very affordable.
#98 of 100 Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
This is a very interesting sentiment to me. My mother and I tend to dress much more conservatively than most women I know, long loose clothing, and I'm actually exploring head covering right now; on the other hand, my two daughters who are very young dress in ways that others may find 'skimpy'.

They both wear panties and tanks in the summer, and if it's very hot my youngest (fifteen months) will probably spend lots of time in just a bathing suit bottom. For us, children are children and are held to different standards than a grown woman.

Not that I hold everyone to the same standard of course. We choose to dress how we do for personal reasons; but my daughters are free to be the little people they are and are treated as such. No one in my close circle of family or friends would bat an eye at a skimpily and/or half naked child - there's tons of them, and they look like babies to us.

this is a very nice post.
#99 of 100 Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do you feel about skorts, i.e. a shorter skirt that has built in shorts? Gymboree is a good source for these. Their clothing has good sales and wears well. They now have a less expensive line, www.crazyeight.com, but I haven't tried it. In general, their clothes are pretty modest.

I, too, love teacollection.com although I mostly shop for my son there. They have good friends.

We also buy simple solid pieces from American Apparel.

I don't have a hard time shopping for this age but I mostly shop online at the same stores. But when the girls turn 7-8 it is really distressing.
#100 of 100 Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
How do you feel about skorts, i.e. a shorter skirt that has built in shorts? Gymboree is a good source for these. Their clothing has good sales and wears well. They now have a less expensive line, www.crazyeight.com, but I haven't tried it. In general, their clothes are pretty modest.

I, too, love teacollection.com although I mostly shop for my son there. They have good friends.

We also buy simple solid pieces from American Apparel.

I don't have a hard time shopping for this age but I mostly shop online at the same stores. But when the girls turn 7-8 it is really distressing.

its Crazy 8

i love crazy 8..
they always have good sales & cute stuff

ive been waiting for warm weather to finally get here so my 13 month old can wear this
lady bug skirt it has the built in shorts

ive never had trouble with this age either .or ages 2,3,4,5,6
but my oldest just moved to size 7. ack.
old navy had enough cute stuff for her for this summer. i bought a bunch of their bermuda shorts, smocked tops, t shirts & striped polo's

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page