Where to find modest girl clothe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for cute and modest little girl clothes sites. So much of the clothes her size are getting way to mature in theme and design....

She wears 18 months in the waist and 3t in length... I am not a seamstress so the cloth need to be pre sewn...

I have found this "movement" of modest clothes that look like what the duggar children (18 and counting, early shows) or what the texas compound women wear Like they walked out of the early 1900's.That is not what I want .I guess jut cute dresses with out characters and with modest cuts....bloomers and slips. Anyone know of a site like that? clasic design I think is the term
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks mama!

There are modest clothing, I grew up LDS and we are encouraged not to wear tank tops, short shorts or tshirts that showed your belly. My mom was a big fan of LLBean and Lands End.

Also, 18M? Girls are dressing worse and worse earlier and earlier

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I will change my wording....

18 month clothing with tank top and short skirts that dont even hit little girl knee. two peice bathing suits....not something I want my daughter to wear.
#4 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

I don't put my daughter in clothes that mimick adult clothes, nor does she look like she just stepped out of Little House on the Prairie.

Try Hannah Anderson for ideas. I find a lot of DDs clothes at Target. Some has characters or phrases written on it, but most of their clothes are solids, stripes, bright fun colors and patterns. DD is 2.5 now and in 4T clothes. It hasn't been hard to find her dresses with sleeves and more modest neck lines, long enough to hit mid-calf, etc.
#5 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Speesees has super-cute organic fairtrade (kinda pricy..but they have good sales) clothes for up to 4t.
http://www.speesees.com/prod/shop/home.php
#6 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

hanna anderson dresses are darling
#7 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM

target has a lot of options

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#8 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Janie and Jack have cute clothes.
#9 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

I have a boy so I was shocked when I went Christmas shopping for a cousin this year. She likes skirts. I thought no problem. That was until I went in three different trendy kid stores and all the skirts were minis! I finally went to Kohl's and found a ton of cute skirts that were at or below the knee. That's my suggestion. You can shop online with them, but really I just can't buy kid clothes online. You just never know how it's going to fit until it's in your hands. IMO

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#10 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM

This is a big problem for me as well. The clothes for women and girls here in Italy tend to be even more suggestive than in the U.S. I had a very hard time finding a one piece bathing suit. I've even seen thongs for little girls! It is so upsetting. Why do people want to dress little girls up that way?
#11 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Check out some of the handmade clothes on Etsy:

Foo Foo and More

Twigs Boutique, of Provo, UT
Palm Tree Princess

I am sure there's a ton more, these are just a few examples. You also support WAHM, made-in-America clothes if you are buying from the maker directly.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#12 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post
I've even seen thongs for little girls! It is so upsetting. Why do people want to dress little girls up that way?
I feel like I've dodged a bullet having a son! All I have to worry about is his butt hanging out over his jeans, but I'm sure that won't be trendy once he's old enough to have a butt!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#13 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking at the dresses on Foo Foo and More....I may be in trouble....o durn cute. Just.looking.do.not.unfreeze.the.credit.card.
#14 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Personally, I am a big fan of The Children's Place. They're clothes are really colorful with bold prints. They are a bit on the trendy-side, but I don't think they're too mature-looking for my 20 mo. old. The dresses are right at knee-length on Lily. There skirts might be a bit shorter, but most are skorts. Much of their stuff reminds me of things I wore as a child in late 70s and early 80s. The other thing I like about them is that the prices aren't too high and they have good sales and offer coupons.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#15 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are big HA fans at my house. I like my girls to look like little girls, and their dresses are cute and girlish. I shop the sales, e-bay, I could never afford to pay full price, and the best part is that once the girls reach 2 or so, I can always get at least 2 years of wear out of one dress for the same child. Then they are still in excellent condition for the next child.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

: explain to me why a little 2 year old (per there size chart) needs to be dressed like this http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail...earch-true.asp
#17 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM

We really love Hanna Andersson, Janie and Jack (really expensive but awesome sale rack and often found on ebay) and Tea Collection. All seem really nice and classic for boy or girl. I don't want my girl looking like she is going to night club, nor do I want my 2 year old boy looking like a skate punk.
#18 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

I love dresses, and since most of them have short skirts, I just put leggings or baby-sweats under them. It sounds tacky when just say it like that but it looks really cute.
#19 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
We really love Hanna Andersson, Janie and Jack (really expensive but awesome sale rack and often found on ebay) and Tea Garden. All seem really nice and classic for boy or girl. I don't want my girl looking like she is going to night club, nor do I want my 2 year old boy looking like a skate punk.

do you have a link for tea garden ?
#20 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM

I have the same problem. Where we are all the shirts are sleeveless or spaghetti straps and the skirts/shorts are super short. I end up buying adjustable waist pants 4 sizes to big so they are long enough then it looks weird.
I don't understand why people want to dress their kids inappropriately either.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
do you have a link for tea garden ?
It is actually Tea Collection. lol Our playgroup went to the tea gardens today so I guess that was on my mind.

http://www.teacollection.com
#22 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaehsmommy View Post
: explain to me why a little 2 year old (per there size chart) needs to be dressed like this http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail...earch-true.asp
Well I saw it was on sale so I ordered it, can't pass that kind of a deal up! I mean, 2T is the smallest size they had but I figure bbDD will grow into it. I was bummed though, it didn't come WITH the hat, you have to buy it separate! Stinkers. Now to go find some nifty hooker high heels for a barely walking infant...you think they'd have a link for some matching calf boots, but nooooooo :

.............KIDDING....................:

It doesn't add up for me either.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#23 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 PM

I don't have a little girl, but I know some moms who dress their daughters in things like smocked dresses with bloomers and smocked rompers. They are NMS (as in, I wouldn't choose them if I had a daughter) but I do think they are really sweet and adorable. Very classic and age appropriate. www.bestdressedchild.com has a lot of cute things.
#24 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Lands End has nice clothes for kids.
www.landsend.com
#25 of 100 Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I don't have a little girl, but I know some moms who dress their daughters in things like smocked dresses with bloomers and smocked rompers. They are NMS (as in, I wouldn't choose them if I had a daughter) but I do think they are really sweet and adorable. Very classic and age appropriate. www.bestdressedchild.com has a lot of cute things.
Ummm am I crazy that I refuse to pay FIFTY DOLLARS for one toddler jumper?? Tell me that this isn't me being a ruthless pinchpenny. Tell me there are other people who blanch at the prices on this site. holyfreakingcow!

I went to the thrift store and found plenty of appropriate, modest clothing (nothing different than the sites suggested here), outfitting both my bbDD AND my 7yo DD for the summer. Spent less than $25. And it all looks great, no holes, not trashy, no stains, just really cute summer stuff.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#26 of 100 Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM

we shop at Hanna Andersson and Gymboree mostly...Gymbo has mostly very modest clothes (there are occasional exceptions to this rule) and they have GREAT sales and it's good quality clothing. HA is wonderful and wonderful quality but it's spendy. Good luck, we have this problem too.
#27 of 100 Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM

ok, maybe its just me, but I dont get trying to be modest for toddlers. Now, I am not talking about dressing them like mini adults (tight short skirts, heels, writing on the butt, etc) but we are saying that tank tops are not appropriate? To me, thats just comfortable. Short skirts too, my dd gets all caught up in longer skirts and dresses while playing.....plus, she usually takes all her clothes off as soon as she can anyways

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#28 of 100 Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
ok, maybe its just me, but I dont get trying to be modest for toddlers. Now, I am not talking about dressing them like mini adults (tight short skirts, heels, writing on the butt, etc) but we are saying that tank tops are not appropriate? To me, thats just comfortable. Short skirts too, my dd gets all caught up in longer skirts and dresses while playing.....plus, she usually takes all her clothes off as soon as she can anyways
I think tank tops are fine. I thin kthe problem is that it usually doesn't end there. It's always a tank top with a suggestive saying. Or a short skirt with something written on the butt. I've had great luck finding modest young toddler clothing, but not for older toddlers.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#29 of 100 Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I think tank tops are fine. I thin kthe problem is that it usually doesn't end there. It's always a tank top with a suggestive saying. Or a short skirt with something written on the butt. I've had great luck finding modest young toddler clothing, but not for older toddlers.
That I get...its just several posts seemed to suggest that it was the tank top, or spaghetti straps that made it inappropriate

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#30 of 100 Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Banned

I try to avoid the dresses that are sewn with little runched breast shapes on them. For 2T sized dresses. Another dress can show the exact same amount of skin, like, be a strappy sun dress, and look WAY less sexualized.

I tend to do garage sales, get hand me downs from the AP playgroups I attend, and go to the nice resale shop around the corner. There are some fancy people around here, and I buy their no-character sensible kids clothes for a few bucks instead of $50 When I really need something, Target can be really good.

We do a lot of buying plain clothes or even stained, and then using nontoxic fabric paint to decorate them. A toddler is easier to dress when picking out the shirts with cats, rockets, rainbows, and frogs on them that she helped make, I find!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page