Chokable foods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a list of common chokable foods and what guidlelines to follow for introducing them, i.e. age, dexterity, etc. ?

I know about grapes and give them cut up, obviously nuts, but can't think of much h else. Was thinking of giving DD some popcorn - it is chokalbe?

(Sorry for errors - Dd spilled tea on my laptop and now delet button not working

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

I don't have a list of things but I have an almost 9 mo and anything I give him I just cut up small so he can pick it up or cook it till it's mushy. We haven't intro nuts but that's the only thing I can think of we haven't given him yet, he LOVES popcorn, you can't keep his hand out of the bowl

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#3 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Hmmm. I thought popcorn was on the list of chokable foods for toddlers. I just looked this up the other day but can't find the website now.

Others off the top of my head:

Hotdogs
Some raw veggies
Hard candy
Soft bread (I assume big chunks get doughy and stuck in the throat).

My DS is a skilled eater, but I prefer to play it safe. I will give him whole apples and other fruit, but not in the car or any place I can't get to him quickly.
#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 AM

my daughter eats hotdogs. I always make sure to cut into smaller pieces though. Grapes as a baby would be peeled and cut. As she;s grown they are only cut in half and half the time she grabs then now before even cut.

It depends on the child I think too. Do they take bit bites and try to swallow the whole thing, because many things can get caught in their throat, not just the normal chokable foods.

Most will list: popcorn, grapes, hotdogs, hard candy.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#5 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 AM

My son just turned 2 and we still don't do popcorn, but I am a freak about choking hazards. My mother let him try popcorn for the first time 2 weeks ago and he got a piece of the hard inside stuck in his teeth. My DS got hystarical and I had to pick it out with tweezers. What a disaster.

I have had many talks about this with his ped. and she says that it is the mini hotdogs that are a problem. She says the rule of thumb is anything thick, stickey, or round is a no go!

By the way, I just read the other day that the saying "rule of thumb" came from England in the 1400's when a law was passed that a man could beat his wife with a stick as long as it was no thicker than his thumb. I dunno if this is true but I thought I never use the phrase anyway and now here I am. LOL!
#6 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM

In my head there are different level of chokable foods, such as; foods I'd give him if I was right there watching (pretty much anything he's pretty efficient at gagging things out) and things I'd give him if he was in his carseat where I can't get to him (which is limited to small, dry things that dissolve easily).

I think I'm really lax about choking hazards because DS is REALLY good at gagging things out if he can't chew or swallow them.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info mamas. I'm not terribly concerned about DD as she's usually very good about chewing things and not trying to eat/wswallow more than she's able. I certainly havent given her hard candy yet though, but for other reasons too! I'd like to be able to share popcorn iwth her as it's a nice healthy snack i enjoy. I'm always right there with her when she's eating -she never eats unsupervised, so Im feeling ab bit better about it now. Will make some ppcorn tomorrow!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page