Feb '08 Toddlers--it's April! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old thread here

Trixie, Molly, and Terran are walking now, Molly quite a bit, so I don't think we can stay in LWAB.

BabyBump is due at the end of the month. Dea is having the first of two insems today hoping for a Christmas baby and othes were talking about when to TTC or the best way to avoid surprises. Krisis is recovering from essure (hope you're feeling better today).

Senara is talking up a storm and starting to show interest in printed language as well. Rosemary is becoming an artist and slgt is looking for suggestions on crayons or other drawing materials.

Um...this really sounds like a bunch of toddlers to me; I don't think we're in infancy any more.....

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the new thread NOS!!

Dea Good luck! :
#3 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Here. Nothing new to report, apart from stating, loudly and clearly, that I'm done, done, done, done, done with making babies...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Thank you Helen; I was beginning to feel as though I had killed the thread. :

Someone care to explain Essure to me? I'm climbing the walls...

Bella and her brother do everything together; They watch The Backyardigans, they read books, they play peek-a-boo (have I mentioned that this is his favorite game? He thinks it's the funniest thing EVER). It's entirely too cute! I really feel as though I have two sets of two rather than a group of four, despite the fact that they're all fairly close in age. In fact, BooBah and Bella are closer in age than Bella and Bear. Anyway, it's cute. I like it. This is yet another reason that getting pregnant would be an absolute disaster for me; I'd have to have *two* more. : I will concede that a teensy, weensy, itsybitsy infinitesimally miniscule bit of me has vague hopes of winning the lottery and settling down with several husbands and lots of help... but more and more, I feel a cold chill in my chest at the thought. The last baby growing up is bittersweet but mostly sweet.

Bear still has diarrhea, but he's only pooped once today and it's already 1:15. : He also had tears when he cried this morning (not much, but a little) and (most importantly) he finally PEED. He still seems kind of wiped out, but he's not "sick."

I've decided that if BeanBean and Boobah want to let their hair grow (both do) that they'll have to take some responsibility for it. Washing and combing, in particular-- and getting clean. Both are *capable* of washing and combing, but with Bean in particular making it happen has been a chore. I told the two of them in the tub the other day that if I had to argue about it again, they were getting buzz cuts. I just can't tolerate the smell of dirty hair, and being healthy, rambunctious children they usually smell not only of dirty hair but of actual *dirt*. Both immediately understood and acquiesed; We'll see how it goes the next time I ask them to wash their hair. The combing was just as easy,

Bella has been running away with her poopy buns. Yeesh.

Bean's been analyzing the song "Lemon Tree" today, offering fun quips like, "The lemon must be a very lonely fruit," and "You know, they're not quite *impossible* to eat, you just have to peel them..."

Hm, what else... Bear has not grown another tooth, we're still at six. It doesn't even begin to concern me. What DOES concern me is the incessant grinding. Bean has litterally ground away at least 1/3 of his teeth by now. I don't even know what to do, aside from training him to sleep with a mouth guard before the permanent teeth start to come in. It's really grotesque, the way they all grind their teeth. Any thoughts?

[/color]

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM

: OMG we have toddlers now, don't we!! Thanks NOS!

Rynna, Essure is some kind of metal thing that blocks the tubes, sorta tubalish but not as invasive. I'm sure Helen will know more.

O, Krisis I meant to do that efore,but didn't get around to it. I hope you feel better soon, and that the worst is over.

Um yeah, soon as this wrist bill comes in, next up is Mr Toona for the snip. I totally feel you and Rynna there. I want no more worrying.

Senara crawled into the bathroom today, spotted her bathtub letters and started saying A-E-I! A-E-I! To which we replied, O-U and sometimes Y!

Been working on a cow share and today we get the meat and sort it. Should be fun a couple of mommas on the local AP board are coming to help.

signature currently in transition
#6 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Ah, right. So it wouldn't be a good deal for someone who's allergic to nickel, hm? :

#7 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have tio confess to showing Terran the first of the Ball-Stick-Bird books yesterday and his eyes definitely lit up as if he understood at least part of how it works.

I was a reading toddler and there was no "teaching" involved, you just couldn't stop me. I don't remember not knowing how to read and assumed my kids would be young readers as well. One of my original reasons for wanting to homeschool was so that my kids could read as soon as they wanted and whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

Neither of them had any interest at all when they were little. Jeanita learned at six, Chris at seven.

I in no way advocate spending over $200 on books to "teach" a one year old how to read, I just still have the books left from Christopher, think they are excellent, and am trying to hold on to them for Terran.

I also went to starfall dot com and decided...uh, we won't be using it. I didn't like the look on Terran's face. it reminded me too much of how Christopher reacted to a brand new PBS television show about a purple dinosaur named Barney. Just no thanks. We'll do something else. instead.
#8 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I'm done, done, done, done, done with making babies...
I always heard that when you KNOW... you KNOW. I am so afraid of never knowing. I'd really like to be DONE in my head and heart before my body decides I am, iykwim? le sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I was a reading toddler and there was no "teaching" involved, you just couldn't stop me.
I remember wanting and begging my mom to "teach me to read!" as early as I can remember.. I must have been 2-3. I also remember her saying to me, "when you are bigger and go to school, you can learn to read. You are too little right now." : The same woman who wouldn't "let" me take band or music, because... "well, just because, that's why". : I felt SO cheated when it came to my education (or lack thereof) I really really really wanted to learn SO MANY things, but was most often met with, "now you don't want to be TOO smart... boys don't like girls that art TOO smart." uh... ok... : It really is no wonder I choose to UNschool. The kids might say, "BUT YOU NEVER TAUGHT ME TO STAND IN LINE!" But they will never say I didn't LET them learn whatever they wanted. More than anything you hear things like, "but wouldn't you LOVE to play guitar? surely you want to take art lessons? but drama class is FUN!"
Funny how you can't win no matter what.

As far as the toddlerhood status goes. Ember took STEPS for a month, but didn't actually WALK until that little jack-o-lantern tooth popped thru. Now it's her preferred method. So only a couple days really. (says mom who is being dragged kicking and screaming out of LWAB)

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#9 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM

I should interject here that learning letters doesn't necessarily translate to reading right away. BooBah knew several of her letters at 14 months and still isn't reading at 4.5. She hasn't been terribly interested, either. Bella knows her letters with more fluency than either of her older siblings did at this age, and unlike her siblings seems hell-bent on reading. She's got two word families she understands and is really working hard on phonics. She's on track to be the earliest actual reader, despite getting off to the slowest start of any of the kiddos. At 14 months, Bella was not walking and was hardly doing anything that could be called talking. Pointing to letters and naming them was waaaaay out of her league-- Bella was an *infant* at this age. It's all complete insanity, though-- they do what they do when they do it, and really don't pay much attention to what we think ought to happen.

#10 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

I'm not entirely kicking and screaming, but I am dragging my feet Though, with the new walking, it does feel like a new chapter has arrived, and I am suddenly peaceful about closing the last one.

As for us, I never in a million years thought that just 2 kids could be a complete family...never...but suddenly, it feels very book-endish. In my own way, I think I am like you, Rynna, where the symmetry of it feels "right" somehow. If we had one more, it would seem off, so then I would think we need a 4th, and there is NO WAY that our marriage could take 2 more pregnancies, babies, and toddlers. I'm not even sure we could survive one. We are "that" couple who truly believe in AP living, but then get cranky and start fighting over the fact that we can't just drop the kids with some stranger any old time and take a night to ourselves without regret.

Plus, Molly and I still co-sleep, with DH in the other room, and it is getting OLD!! I want my hubby to spoon, not my baby. But we can't all 3 fit, and so we are just waiting till it seems "right" to move her. Who knows when that will be.

I just kind of feel that there is nothing more that I want/need from pregnancy or having another baby, and I feel like we are handling what we can handle right now, and anther baby would be rough...too rough.

But I kind of feel like a failure for thinking that, though...Like I am somehow not a very good mother, if I feel that I can only handle 2 well, when I could probably easily have more physically. Especially with all you supermoms who have 3 and 4 kids, even if they are far apart in age, or with you all who are at 2, but definitely planning more.
#11 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Jumping in very quickly - been busy getting ready for our trip to South Africa. We fly tomorrow night :

I think Hillel is the last walker. He takes steps, but definitly no walking happening just yet - so toddler he is not just yet - but I'm happy enough to be here

I'll pop in occasionally while in SA, although I am hoping for a computer free chunk of time soaking up the sun, sand and air of that most beautiful city, Cape Town or kaapstad

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#12 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 PM

okay, left-0handed so it'll be short and messy.

rynna- i'll let you know the nrxt time i see a stockmar/mercurious buy. in fact, o'm tempted to organize one because all you have to do is be a homeschool group and buy like $250? worth of stuiff. i got the block beeswax crayons for lazlo to help him learn how to hold his pencil, and they are yummy!! linnaea prefers markers but she'll use them too, i think the 12 color box was like $8?

also, biology is HUGE for our baby making desires. it's totally like that core reptilian brain telling you to make as many as you can to get those genes passed on! my grandma had eight kids and they are mostly messed up but eaqch of them had at least two kids and really, it's not great for the species as a whole (mopstly drugs and alcohol reaons) but it's great for my grandparent's irish/english genes

yay senara and loetters!! linnaea knows quite a few animals like, she sees our chicken toy and goes "bwock bwock" or a roar for lion or dinosaur. no ;etters yet but she loves reading books and will grab my finger to point to something she wants the word for.

i'm bummed about the lack of balance too, three is just NOT good number for me and 4 is my lucky number (and mine and bear's birthday )but there is no way i am ever going to have 4. in fact, i think we're going to start a fund for "stopping the red-haired madness!" so that i can afford the essure thing. it kind of freaks me out because my dh so obviously has super sperm that i'm afraid i'll totally be the one person it fails for and have a tubal pregnancy but we can NOT handle 4 (still not quite sure we can handle 3 and the test is actually tomorrow morning at 9 so i _could_ still just be late, like 1-1/2 weeks but maybe, ya know, just maybe?

emily- so sorry about your loss! my dh lost a close friend and my friend lost her uncle, it really seems like a big month for passing on.

julie- your "school" sounds way better than the uh, "real" thing. i hear you about knowing you're done. my mom had thought i was getting my tubes tied after two and i just wasn't _that_ sure (then she made some comment about having a litter which is so weird for her because she totally supports kids and all that.... but now, i'm completely and 100000% sure that three is all i can handle and i'm not even sure my mate will be able to handle more than 2 at a time.

teeny- yay cow share!! if i could find anything similar i'd be all over it

ema- i hope your flight goes well! and that you all have a great vacation!!!!

in other news, linnaea has cavities one in her front tooth and two behind her side teeth. plus they chip super easily, i think she has three missing pieces. i'm feeding her raw cheese and taking my clo and brush9ing her teeth with probiotics and hoping i qualify for state health care because this would wipe out our meager savings plus be super traumatic and i don't want to night wean but i'm considering it. i think the lack of milk has just had her nursing all the time when she's sleeping. i'm also considering the $50 butter oil to try and remineralize them. bleh. and i've been so good about brushing and flossing! :

OH!! and funny 4/1 joke? i went to ban someone but figured i should enter in my username first to see what happened and then i ended up banning myself anyway! ha!

eh. who needs a signature?
#13 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM

okay, so now i'm spotting and freaking out. i still haven't taken a pregnancy test and i guess i could be a week and a half late after two 28 day cycles OR i could totally have an ectopic pregnancy.

i'm going to call the clinic out here even though they said they wouldn't be able to help me out until tomorrow morning.

will update when i can!

#14 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
in other news, linnaea has cavities one in her front tooth and two behind her side teeth. plus they chip super easily, i think she has three missing pieces. i'm feeding her raw cheese and taking my clo and brush9ing her teeth with probiotics and hoping i qualify for state health care because this would wipe out our meager savings plus be super traumatic and i don't want to night wean but i'm considering it. i think the lack of milk has just had her nursing all the time when she's sleeping. i'm also considering the $50 butter oil to try and remineralize them. bleh. and i've been so good about brushing and flossing! :
Bean has cavities; Interestingly, none of the other kids do. His teeth are also a bit softer than the other kids, and more worn down by grinding. I keep hoping that he'll start losing them (he's 6.5 and while the two lower central incisors wiggle a bit, they're not loose enough to be called 'loose') but no luck so far. It seems that despite getting them on time, he's losing them later. In any case, he's got a total mess in his mouth. As such, I pay attention and have been hypervigilant with my research. I can't begin to afford things like clarified, grass-fed raw organic butter and all that stuff on the "natural cures for cavities" thread (that thread irritates me for so many reasons...), but like I said I've done a lot of reading.

Here's the thing: If a kid as young as Linnea has cavities, it's probably due to a congenital issue rather than anything you did. Yes, things you do/don't do can help/hinder, but the primary cause is probably entirely unrelated to toothbrushing or the lack thereof... or to nightnursing. Some kids have weak enamel, others weak baby teeth. Still others have calcium metabolism abnormalities which can cause tooth issues (this was of great concern when BooBah was small, because she definately metabolizes calcium strangely and we couldn't tell how it was related to her kidney issues). Some are just more prone to the particular bacteria which cause cavities. I guess what I'm saying is, try not to beat yourself up too much.

#15 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM

i'm not pregnant

my test was negative. apparently i'm just two weeks late thank you thank you thank you!!!

#16 of 287 Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
all that stuff on the "natural cures for cavities" thread (that thread irritates me for so many reasons...), but like I said I've done a lot of reading.

I guess what I'm saying is, try not to beat yourself up too much.
that thread TOTALLY irritated me too i was like, but, um, surely bacteria have something to do with it? like, ALL the studies haven't been faked by the big bad dental association. though i DO think that diet probably has a lot to do with it.

i guess lazlo had such cavities early and i was convinced i could do better by brushing etc. and i'm just bummed that it didn't really matter. thanks for the hugs.

quite honestly, i'm just so happy right now that i'm NOT PREGNANT!!! that everything seems great

#17 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Carrie!!! Phew!!! I'm glad that things have worked out in the way that you were hoping!

And about the cavities, I'm SURE that it must be to do with what Rynna was talking about, rather than how you have cared for her teeth so far. At this age, it can't be poor dental hygiene. Most kids don't even start dental hygiene yet, so don't blame yourself at all!!!
#18 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 AM

Hi all!

Things here are really good at the moment. I'm really enjoying teaching my sex ed class. I just finisheed a rotation and will start a new one in 2 weeks. I got the research job too! I've been reading thru all the previous studies I'm replicating and will get started working this week. I'm excited because I will get to find out how some of my previous clints are doing and there are some I still think about! I've been gone from full time for 3.5 years so I haven't seen many of these clients for atleast 4 years! I'm also working with my first VBAC doula client. I really like her, she's got a 10 month old and has no support. I really hope things work out well for her!! Well, enough about me! James is great, he's changing all the time, like daily!! I really love this age! He also loves reading and often brings me books and signs want, want, want!! He's starting to make animal sounds and that's adorable. Grace was talking quite a bit at this age so it's a little weird to me that he's not but I know it's just his normal. So, he eats like you wouldn't believe. He eats more than Grace, not just sometimes, at every meal. He's not a big baby at all, where is all this food going!?!? Is there any reason I should be concerned about this? I sort of am but I can't pin point why, I think it's partly because of my own habit of over eating so I'm sensitive. James and Grace are playing together so well these days, it's very cute!

Family planning- I always thought I wanted 4, but I'm leaning more towards 3 now. I love the end of pregnancy and giving birth and having a newborn.....but it's just so much work! I am getting some time to myself and I'm loving it, I didn't get this after having Grace so it's been 3.5 years since I could just kind of do my own thing and not have to worry about everyone. James is such an easy kid! I think I will look at our next baby as the last but keep my options open for a while just in case. I think I'll do an IUD after the next baby and after 5ish years and a feeling of certainty DH will get a vasectomy. That's the plan at least! Am I alone? I still haven't gotten my fertility back. No period and very little variation in CM. I'm kind of hoping it returns in the next few months because I know we want another one and I'd like ot have time to get my cylce straightened out so when we're ready, we're ready! But I do kind of like not worrying or having to do anything to prevent!

Emily, I don't think it's a sign of being a bad mom at all, quite the opposite in fact! I think it just means you know your limits and you are setting them and doing what's best for your whole family so you can be the best mom possible to Ben and Molly.

Carrie. YAY!!! I'm so happy for you! I hope you don't have to worry about that again until you are ready for it!!

I also decided this week that I am for sure homeschooling. It's been a hard decision because I'd really like to go back to school and become a midwife and that will be hard while schooling and having kids at home. Oh well, it will all work out somehow and I feel like homeschooling is right for us. I think there are a few of us here that are or are planning on homeschooling in some form.

Sorry for the long ramble about myself. I you all!

Also, how do you floss a baby's teeth? I don't even floss Grace's, am I a bad dental hygiene mom?

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#19 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:45 AM

Congrats on not being pregnant! :

#20 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
I still haven't gotten my fertility back. No period and very little variation in CM.
I won't insult anyone by speaking to this... but I'm kind of curious as to the average return of fertility, post-childbirth.

Quote:
I also decided this week that I am for sure homeschooling. It's been a hard decision because I'd really like to go back to school and become a midwife and that will be hard while schooling and having kids at home. Oh well, it will all work out somehow and I feel like homeschooling is right for us. I think there are a few of us here that are or are planning on homeschooling in some form.
: I've also decided that I'm going back to school. I don't know what to study first, but eventually I'd like to do medical research. I've got to sort out this allergy business. I think midwifery would be fantastic as well. I'll probably start looking at these things when Bear's nine or ten, mostly because I need Mike to work. Then again, it may be sooner if the kids are reliable on their own for a few hours. I don't know. We'll see.

Quote:
Also, how do you floss a baby's teeth? I don't even floss Grace's, am I a bad dental hygiene mom?
Quickly and ineffectively, in my experience.

#21 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 AM

Well done Carrie

Rynna, essure is contraindicated for nickel sensitivities- but there's questions over whether nickel is one of my sensitivities or not: given that I react to buttons on jeans and watch batteries, cadmium is definitely in there too- or instead, and we were testing anyhow to confirm the latex allergy. As far as fertility goes, I think there's four variants:
1) Secondary infertility, probably more common than anyone realises.
2) Speedy return of menses and full fertility
3) Lengthy absense of menses and full fertility (I reckon that about 40% of breastfeeding mothers get a year off.)
4) Speedy return of menses with a shortened luteal phase or an increased tendency to miscarriage.

Julie, for me it was the combination of the string of miscarriages and not being able to lie down at the end of pregnancy that did it for me- up until the searing agony of SPD set in, I'd had gone for #5 quite happily, but this feels right.

OK, talk to me about reading toddlers. You mean actually trying to teach a 1yo to read, not just reading to them, right? Why? Does it work? and so on. Rynna, Skye is very close to making the click of reading, and that scares me somewhat: I think she and Bella are fairly close in age, aren't they? Both my boys were reading at 5, but they didn't have three bedtime stories a night every night either.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 AM

Wow I misseed you guys totally last month. Been busy with real life and not on MDC as much.

Avraham Tzvi is still very much a baby, but I'll jump to toddlers with you guys. So is mine the only one not standing or walking? We're not even to pulling up yet But he's getting there and the physical theropy is helping. For once I wish I didn't have the last kid to do everything. OK, vent over.

I think I heard a bye bye the other day, but I havne't heard it sine so I'm not sure.

Other than that, we're all great. Everyone is off for Pesach vacation, and the girls are in a little backyard camp. I'm still watching babies (including my own ).

Oh, and teeth he does have. At least 8 of them. My kids do everything last, but they do get teeth.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#23 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
Wow I misseed you guys totally last month. Been busy with real life and not on MDC as much.

Avraham Tzvi is still very much a baby, but I'll jump to toddlers with you guys. So is mine the only one not standing or walking? We're not even to pulling up yet But he's getting there and the physical theropy is helping. For once I wish I didn't have the last kid to do everything. OK, vent over.

I think I heard a bye bye the other day, but I havne't heard it sine so I'm not sure.

Other than that, we're all great. Everyone is off for Pesach vacation, and the girls are in a little backyard camp. I'm still watching babies (including my own ).

Oh, and teeth he does have. At least 8 of them. My kids do everything last, but they do get teeth.

*hugs* If it's any consolation Steven is walking, has a full set of teeth, weighs 27 lbs and is 30 in tall and is still very very much a baby. He doesn't self feed at all. My oldest was using a spoon on his own at this point. He doesn't say any words. He just learned how to wave bye. He's just a walking baby instead of a toddler to me. Very different from Austin.

Maybe Avraham is going to be one of those kids that just does it one day and takes off running across the room!!

Had my second session of counseling yesterday. I don't know what its doing for me at this point, but I hope soon I'll start seeing/feeling a marked difference.

OK weird TMI question/story.

DH and I were in bed DTD and my face started tingling and going numb and I was all dizzy and then started hysterical crying and laughing all at once. Now (haha funny) this isn't normal for me and it didn't feel good like Oing. I really scared DH and this morning I'm still feeling headachy from it. Whats your take? (PG test this morning was - and period is due this week or next)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#24 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Whats your take? (PG test this morning was - and period is due this week or next)
My first thought was: are you on any kind of new(ish) medication? Even vitamins?

#25 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
for me it was the combination of the string of miscarriages and not being able to lie down at the end of pregnancy that did it for me- up until the searing agony of SPD set in
See and I even try to conjure up the memories of just how bad it was this last go around to be pg. I honestly didn't do CRAP for a year (or more) had a really hard time walking (hips) the pg related carpal tunnel went on and on it hurt SO BAD and made doing much of anything with my hands & arms an impossibility. DH was a rotton pg partner, I was under so much stress and THEN my water broke at 31 weeks and having to deliver in a hospital. :
Not to mention the multiple miscarriages I've endured... a couple of them 2nd trimester losses.
Ok, I'm officially insane.
I think I want more babies because it's honestly the only thing I feel like I can do that gives me worth on this planet. When I'm taking care of the babes... all is right with the world, in spite of the world crumbling around me. Surely that is a biological thing... I'm not sure it's one I want to fight, because honestly, I can't think of anything else I'd rather do. I don't want a career or to garden w/out the kids or go out and party with my friends or anything that people talk about when they talk about what they do w/out their kids. I enjoy sharing my bed, even though I complain. Heck, I even lost a bunch of friends because I insist on having my kids with me at BURNING MAN.
Obviously my kids will grow up and move away someday... so is this something I should work on? : Is there something wrong with me that I live without goals or dreams? : That all I want to do is share experiences with and watch my babes grow and learn and become people? I mean, even THAT doesn't always turn out... look at dd#1. As a person, I don't even like who she turned out to be very much. But she has every right to be whoever she wants to be, and it doesn't stop me from wanting to see it again.
It's definitely biological, because other peoples kids (or caretaking them for $) is SO not up my alley.
For the record... I don't think my life is over if I don't get to have another baby... I just don't feel "done" -and I find that weird. My life is one huge contradiction.

PS: Does anyone here garden besides Carrie and want me to send them some seeds? I have PLENTY that won't get used! (Teeny?- I know you garden... do you need seeds?)

#26 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
My first thought was: are you on any kind of new(ish) medication? Even vitamins?
None whatsoever

Quote:
PS: Does anyone here garden besides Carrie and want me to send them some seeds? I have PLENTY that won't get used! (Teeny?- I know you garden... do you need seeds?)
I have a gorgeous garden going this year (My first ) and I would love, love, LOVE some seeds even if not for this year around!!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#27 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Rynna, essure is contraindicated for nickel sensitivities- but there's questions over whether nickel is one of my sensitivities or not: given that I react to buttons on jeans and watch batteries, cadmium is definitely in there too- or instead, and we were testing anyhow to confirm the latex allergy.
Yeah, I'm definately allergic to nickel. I can't hold a ring of keys for more than twenty minutes without breaking out, belt buckles around here are ugly because I cover them in masking tape, and I usually wear something between jeans and my skin so that the metal doesn't touch me. My watches (when I wore them) all had stickers on the back, and I had to wear a bandaid under the buckle as well. I'd probably think of it as a real PITA if I hadn't been dealing with it for so long... but these days it's second nature. Only Bean and Bear have had this reaction by the way-- overall buckles on either of them will cause hives if they touch the skin. This makes me wonder if it's not so much an allergy as it is a sensitivity to oxidizing substances and thus related somehow to the G-6-PD deficiency that both boys inherited from me. I know, nothing at all to do with birth control.

Quote:
As far as fertility goes, I think there's four variants:
1) Secondary infertility, probably more common than anyone realises.
2) Speedy return of menses and full fertility
3) Lengthy absense of menses and full fertility (I reckon that about 40% of breastfeeding mothers get a year off.)
4) Speedy return of menses with a shortened luteal phase or an increased tendency to miscarriage.
Interesting.

Quote:
OK, talk to me about reading toddlers. You mean actually trying to teach a 1yo to read, not just reading to them, right? Why? Does it work? and so on. Rynna, Skye is very close to making the click of reading, and that scares me somewhat: I think she and Bella are fairly close in age, aren't they? Both my boys were reading at 5, but they didn't have three bedtime stories a night every night either.
A toddler who is going to read will learn to read regardless of whether or not they are taught. A toddler who is not going to learn to read will not learn to read regardless of how much effort you put into it. With a great deal of effort, I think it's probably possible to knock a year or so off of a child's natural "learn to read" time, but not too much more.

When I was about 22 months old, my mother read a "What your two year old should be doing" article which said that I ought to be able to make a tower of ten blocks. She didn't know whether or not I could do this because there were no blocks in our home. To be clear, apparently I could do everything else in the article and had been for some time, but this block business bothered my mother, so she bought a set of wooden alphabet blocks for my birthday and asked me to stack them. I stacked five and decided it was boring; I wanted to know about those letters painted on the blocks. "Hey, it's an A!" I said, excited. "No, that's a P." A few hours later, I recognized all of my letters by sight. Three days later, I had the sounds connected to the letters and was building small words. A week after my second birthday, I was reading. A month later, I was reading comfortably and confidently on a second grade level, and by the time I was three I could read anything put in front of me that had been written for children.

How much teaching was involved? I directed that, and as I said I got a few hours. It couldn't have been much more even if either of us had wanted it that way; I had a 14 month old brother and my mother was pregnant with my sister when I turned 2. It was not the world's most conducive, enriching environment if you take my meaning. Still, all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't stop me from learning to read. Conversely, had I not been there they couldn't have made me read, either.

Can toddlers read? Absolutely. Should they be encouraged? Sure, why not? Should we teach them to read? Eh... why bother? Treat it as you would anything else. If your child loves flowers, help him name them by color and type. If they love blowing bubbles, blow bubbles. If they love to read, read. It's a good deal. At this age, though, there's absolutely no point in trying to teach them to read based on your own desires. At best it's a waste of time, and at worst it's detrimental to a great many things.

(That'd all be my personal experience & opinions there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
]Avraham Tzvi is still very much a baby, but I'll jump to toddlers with you guys. So is mine the only one not standing or walking? We're not even to pulling up yet But he's getting there and the physical theropy is helping. For once I wish I didn't have the last kid to do everything. OK, vent over.
Bella wasn't walking at this age; She was crawling, but not all that much. We don't have a ton of furniture for pulling up, but I know that she wouldn't even wlk holding hands.

Quote:
DH and I were in bed DTD and my face started tingling and going numb and I was all dizzy and then started hysterical crying and laughing all at once. Now (haha funny) this isn't normal for me and it didn't feel good like Oing. I really scared DH and this morning I'm still feeling headachy from it. Whats your take? (PG test this morning was - and period is due this week or next)
If it was me, personally, I'd get to a doctor ASAP. That just screams "Weird sh*&" to me and I'd be keen to have it all checked out. Then again, I'm somewhat paranoid and I hate doctors a lot less than many crunchies.

Quote:
IPS: Does anyone here garden besides Carrie and want me to send them some seeds? I have PLENTY that won't get used! (Teeny?- I know you garden... do you need seeds?)
I've been growing bulbs on the windowsills. I'd love to try some other container plants, so if you've got seeds for anything even potentially amenable, we'd love another project around here. Have I mentioned that we're between science and history classes right now, and about to finish language arts, too? :

#28 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Julie, I wasn't clear. Maybe the reason you don't feel done is cos you aren't done.

#29 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I have a gorgeous garden going this year (My first ) and I would love, love, LOVE some seeds even if not for this year around!!
have anything particular on the wish list? Seems like you could grow just about anything there!!! I'd love that! : and pm me your address!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I'd love to try some other container plants, so if you've got seeds for anything even potentially amenable, we'd love another project around here.
pm an address, and they are on their way!

Quote:
Julie, I wasn't clear. Maybe the reason you don't feel done is cos you aren't done.
That would probably be my epitaph, if someone is mean enough to put me in the ground: "But I'm not DONE YET!"

Seriously... the only way I know I'm done with anything is when I have lost all interest... and in SO MANY THINGS... I'm just not done. : My crazy bucket list ends every entry with: "with my kids". At least it doesn't end each entry with: "while pregnant".

Ember LOVES toddling. She suddenly has more confidence and bravery than I ever saw out of the four-legged, no-toothed version.

#30 of 287 Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Carrie, what a relief!!!! :::::

Thinking about you and insem #2 today, Dea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Hi all!

Pretty much the same way I do my own, and since I have advanced periodontal diseas I have the wide floss (dental tape) in the house anyway. It's more suitable for the wide spaces between ds's teeth than dd's regular floss and it's much more comfortable for him.

He only has eight teeth and four of them aren't in all the way, so I doubt if flossing is going to prevent any cavities at this point, it's just a good habit to get into and he likes it so it's sort of a reward for an extra good brushing session but not something I'd make an issue about right now.

I should preface all of my dental hygeine posts with the disclaimer that I have PTSD about dd's teeth. She had a similar story to Linnaea's, but it was not detected as early.

Please don't ask me to be reasonable. I probably saw the cavities at about 14 months but everyone brushed me off and said to "flick it away with your fingernail" until she was 2 1/2 and her poor little teeth had rotted down to nubbins, at which point I became the weird abusive mother who refused to wean on the spot when I was told and singlehandedly invented a weird theory about "nursing on demand" as an excuse for not replacing one or two "breastfeeds" with a bottle full of water every day to make sure there werre no more "breastfeeds" by her appointment next week. I wasn't very smart, either, or I would have known how to get free formula and juice from WIC and not rotted my kids teeth out with "breastfeeds" in the first place.

That's why i bookmarked this:

Poopycocky! Nightweaning isn't going to help!

before Terran and Linnaea even had heads, much less teeth, and am probably going to have a dentist check Terran out long before any sane person qould consider it necessary.

ITA with Rynna; no need for guilt, just be glad you caught it this early and found someone who would take you seriously. dd's were so bad we had to get CHDP to pay for it, ergo all the ignorance and condescencion.

bbl; haven't read all of today's posts; morning screen time may be a thing of the past, but i'm thinking of everyone!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page