Slingin' Blues: Maya Wrap getting too heavy for travel. Is the Ergo next? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-04-2004, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
We travel around quite a bit because we’re living in Europe temporally and want to make the most of it. I’m so happy to have this opportunity but this last trip has got me suffering because I end up carrying my daughter for extended periods of time. She's light (even at 2+ years) but 5 hours a day is killing me!

My question is:

Do you have some suggestions for a solution for traveling/sight seeing on long days with a toddler?

More specifically:

What sling could we change to that would offer more support than the Maya Wrap?

How effective would it be and/or how would I go about helping my daughter to walk more?

Has anyone used one of those back-packs with wheels? Urg…don’t know if I could use a framed pack but thought I’d better ask.

Thanks! H.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 20 Old 01-04-2004, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if you have received any other suggestions, but for longer excursions (mind you, we haven't tried 5hr ones!), we prefer to use the BabyTrekker. It's not a framed pack, but a soft padded ones. What's nice about it is its padding and that it distributes the wt on both shoulders as well as your waist. DD at 25mos is about 28lbs and we can carry her comfortably for around 2-3hours in the back-carry position. I know I haven't answered most of your questions, but just offerint something else for you to consider in your search for the perfect carrier.
#3 of 20 Old 01-04-2004, 10:30 PM

I have one of those backpacks with wheels - I think its a One Step Ahead. I got it on clearance at Target for $12 and couldn't pass that deal up!

However, we mainly use it as a stroller. Its a great lightweight stroller and ds likes the way he sits up high in it.

As far as using it for a backpack, I found it very uncomfortable. I am short (5' 2") and the wheels dig into my butt. I rarely use it as a backpack and usually if I take it out as a stroller, my Maya Wrap comes with me too.

HOWEVER, maybe if you could try one on and see what you think. I think the versatility for someone who lives in a big city would be awesome.... if you jump on the subway or train, it easily converts from stroller to backpack (as long as there is nothing in the basket)....

I have the Ergo and use that more, but complain about it often. I haven't found the "ultimate" backpack carrier yet.

I think the bigger frame packs would be good for you. They give you room to pack all the stuff you'll need for your trips, and are very comfortable. I know its hard, though, because once they are in the pack, you can't really see them.

I kind of like the Madden packs... I'll try to post a link.

Good luck,
#4 of 20 Old 01-04-2004, 10:45 PM

I have an Instep stroller backpack... here's the link: http://www.babypacks.com/instep-stroller-backpack.shtml

Also, at www.babypacks.com there are reviews of several carriers. Those Deuter packs look nice....

HTH,
#5 of 20 Old 01-05-2004, 09:40 PM

I'm not sure about 4 or 5 hours, but there are LOTS of slings/carriers that are more comfortable than a Maya wrap for heavier kids.

Maybe try a wrap, like a Didymos, Ellaroo or Girasol?
http://eu.peppermint.com/baby-carriers-by-name.html

Another one that's less expensive is a Mei Tai style carrier, like this one. http://www.geocities.com/kozycarrier/
This carrier is great! I am using it for my 26 pound son on walks lately. Although, I still find a wrap a tad more comfortable--the Kozy is less fabric to mess with when on the go. I know Kelley will ship anywhere, but there is a wait list for this carrier right now.

HTH.
#6 of 20 Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 PM

We have a Kelty Kid Carrier. DH loves it and uses it a lot. DS gets so excited when he sees it come out of the closet. He sceams if he's not in it immediately. I've used it too and find it comfortable. It's definitely easier on my back than carrying a 25 pound bundle of energy. I can't do a sling at all any more. Because he's just too heavy.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#7 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 AM

You might want to try the Ergo Baby Carrier.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

My 23 m ds likes it, and he is a sling addict. He won't go near a stroller, but he likes this carrier.

And, it's very comfy for me - even for hikes. he's very heavy, and I have no problem carrying him.

It's a soft pack that takes very little space.

It's made by a mom for mom's . She really has thought about the design a great deal.

Good luck
#8 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 AM

We have a Kelty frame carrier that we got second hand. It is quite comfortable although if you're using it in museums, etc. you need to be careful about bumping into things with it.

We tried the Baby Trekker but did not like the weight on our waist so returned it.

We just bought the Ergo carrier and I'm finding it quite comfortable. It packs up quite small and weight is distributed on your hips instead of your waist. If you think you might be successful in getting your dd to walk I think a soft carrier is a better option because it packs up so small when you're not using it. The other nice thing is that if you get in a situation where you're not comfortable having your dd on your back (eg in a crowded bus) you can switch her around and carry her on the front.

I think the frame packs are great if you're actually out hiking or cross-country skiing or something like that.
#9 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think I’m leaning toward the Ergo. I have some questions about it before I buy one.

1.How do you get the kid in it? Would I need help from another adult in order to get my daughter on my back? That would be a deal breaker because I usually travel with just me and my daughter.
2.Do your kids sleep well in it? Can you sit down at a café with the sleeping kid in the back or front? Would it be easy to lay a sleeping kid down who has fallen asleep in the Ergo?
3.Can the child go forward facing in the front position?
4.How is the backpack accessory that they sell to go along with the Ergo?

Thanks and any other words of caution or advice about the Ergo (or other carrying contraptions) would be most appreciated.

BTW, I changed the heading because I wanted to draw other Ergo users into this discussion.

#10 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Okay...WAIT!!! Sorry, I didn't look at the Kozycarrier because I thought it was one like the Korean carrier....I LOVE, LOVE the look fo the Kozycarrier!! We Ha!

Thanks Slightly Crunchy. Do you have one? Does anyone have one? How is it?

#11 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 PM

I have an Ergo and a Kozy. (kind of ridiculous to have both, I think, but that's another story.

I like the Kozy better, because it folds up really small in my bag. Or sometimes I just tie it around my waist if ds isn't in it. The Ergo does have a carrying bag, but it takes a little longer to fold it just right to get it stuffed in there. It is too bulky to wear without ds in it. Seems like a silly reason, but I'm someone who likes to carry as little as possible.

Comfort-wise, I find them to be about the same.

Oh, and I think the Kozy looks nicer! And more fabric choices. The owner is so friendly.

I know there were some threads not long ago about the Kozy and the Ergo--maybe do a search here and at LWAB?

There is another company that makes a similar carrier, but I don't have one of these. But maybe the wait wouldn't be as long?
http://equanimitybaby.com/meitai.html

HTH.
#12 of 20 Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 PM

I'm waiting for my Kozy as we speak. I hope that it will arrive end of this week, early next week! I can't wait. I think I have a permanent curve in my spine slinging around my giant toddler. I'll let you know what my experience is as soon as I get it.
#13 of 20 Old 01-07-2004, 03:04 AM

I do quite a bit of walking/hiking carrying my toddler (around 35 lb). I use a Kelty frame backpack and hiking poles for steadiness. I can still carry him for several hours a day if I need to, but it is getting harder. Slings haven't worked for us since he was over about 25 lb.
#14 of 20 Old 01-07-2004, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, KarenEMT

I'm LOL thinking about walking around Florence with ski poles!

#15 of 20 Old 01-07-2004, 12:57 PM

You'd definitely get some looks! People look at me like a I'm a nut sometimes (they are actually hiking poles - spring-loaded and I do walk around town with them). They might get stuck in some cobblestones/bricks in Florence But it helps with balance (mine is awful) and support.

If you find any carrier that enables you to do this comfortably for 5 hrs a day, let me know. I am not looking forward to the day when I can't carry my guy anymore.
#16 of 20 Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisisMama

1.How do you get the kid in it? Would I need help from another adult in order to get my daughter on my back? That would be a deal breaker because I usually travel with just me and my daughter.

2.Do your kids sleep well in it? Can you sit down at a caf?with the sleeping kid in the back or front? Would it be easy to lay a sleeping kid down who has fallen asleep in the Ergo?
3.Can the child go forward facing in the front position?
4.How is the backpack accessory that they sell to go along with the Ergo?

Thanks and any other words of caution or advice about the Ergo (or other carrying contraptions) would be most appreciated.

BTW, I changed the heading because I wanted to draw other Ergo users into this discussion.
1. I put it on my back with one shoulder strap hanging off. I kneel on the ground with DS standing behind me and I kind of hoist him in. Once he learned how to get in, he helps by hanging onto my back while I get his leg through.
2. DS is never one to just fall asleep unexpectedly so it hasn't happend to me, but I know other kids who fall asleep in it, then you can use the sleeping hood and sit down with them in the back. If you wanted to lay them down, you would unbuckle the chest clip, take one shoulder strap off and kind of swing them around to the front at which point you can let the back fall down so you could lay them down. I think this would take a little effort, but would definitely be easier than if you 're using a frame backpack since you would have to pull them out of it.
3. I don't think you can.
4. I don't have the backpack accessory, but it looks like it would convenient. It's not the most convenient to carry any type of bag with any carrier, IME.

I cant carry DS comfortably in a sling anymore (he's maybe 27 lbs-ish) and we have an Evenflo trailtech frame backpack that I find it really hard to walk around with now that he's bigger because I'm swaying all over the place. The Ergo is still comfy, I thnk because he's snug to my body. Of course, after a couple hours of carrying him in anything I'm feeling it, but less so with the Ergo. I like the look of the Kozy though, I wish I could rationalize buying one but DS never wants to be carried anymore. There's also the Packababy, Sutemi, Baby Backtie, and several others if you decide to go with a constructed soft carrier.

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#17 of 20 Old 01-08-2004, 10:46 PM

OMG I'm so happy you posted this! I am in the same boat. I have been using the Maya with dd and ds for over a year now, and only on my left hip in the side carry position (I can't handle any others - lame I know!). We use a Kelty frame pack for walks, hikes, etc., but I love the ease of the Maya. With dd weighing 27 pounds, the Maya is starting to hurt my back. I would love to get a more secure back-carry pack too.
#18 of 20 Old 01-09-2004, 03:13 AM

Here's a vote for the Kozy. One ds weighs about 36 pounds, the other about 30. I've carried them both in it (not at the same time) and I love it!!!
#19 of 20 Old 01-09-2004, 08:19 PM

The Ergo is how I get dd to sleep at night, though in the front carry (facing in). She often falls asleep in it when we are out running errands. I've never carried her for 5 hours at a time, but probably 2. I can sit carefully if she's asleep.

I can't ever get it back in its carrying case, I just kind of roll it up and fasten the buckles when I'm taking it somewhere.

Its been a great investment for us, well worth the money...
#20 of 20 Old 01-09-2004, 10:21 PM

oh, that kozy looks wonderful! must order!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page