nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes! I remember and it was so special! I dont remember the feeling of suckling, just warm milk and being in my mom's arms all warm and soft.
#362 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

toothbrushing....we do a (?oral b brand) kiddo toothbrush and water. DD brushes her teeth in the am when she is done nursing (which is while dh is brushing his teeth) and in the pm when she's done with her bath (before we nurse before bed). She does a good job with it on her own but we do it for her for a bit each time. She loves to carry her toothbrush around the house and i was worried about her falling with the toothbrush in her mouth. So we have a new rule and are constantly saying "Erin we brush our teeth ONLY in the bathroom." When she's done she'll give us her brush and watch us wash it off with water, tap the extra water out and then she's off

Yesterday a friend from my moms group gave us her little tykes little slide. DD LOVES IT! I am because I had a great wooden indoor slide when I was a kiddo that is in storage with the rest of my moms stuff in new york state. (I am in minnesota). So we couldn't pass up the chance to have something safe for dd to do that was climb-able. She spent yesterday afternoon climbing up to the platform with her books and reading, about 6 inches taller than normal. Then spent the evening climbing up and sliding down. I am sick of saying "erin sit down on your bottom" for fear of her falling over the side, but .... she's loving it. I expect we'll rotate it along with the rest of her toys, so that we aren't sick of having a giant slide in our tiny living room.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#363 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 AM

I think I am more sad over the fact that my son is self-weaning than he is. He night weaned first and now we are down to nursing once every now and then. I couldn't nurse him for the past two days because of food poisoning and he didn't seem to mind.

Solticemomma, I noticed you asked about toothbrushing. We do it once a night during bath time. After we finish with the general wash the food off of him, then my DH grabs his toothbrush and brushes his teeth and then he hands it to DS and DS tries himself. We get no arguments. I am still bad about trying to do it in the mornings.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#364 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Casina--great pics. But tell me about the black chicken????
#365 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 03:12 PM

.Toothbrushing Giovanni uses Baby Orajel Tooth & Gum Cleanser. It comes with this neat rubber finger tooth brush that makes it easy to stick in his mouth. I usually do mornings and night brushing after his meal. I wanted to buy him a regular toothbrush but am concerned about the hard brush scrapping the roof of his mouth. Any suggestions? Only has 4 top and 2 bottom Still waiting for the rest.

Also my pediatrician told me not to use regular floride tooth paste because it's not good for him to swallow.

Something New Giovanni has learned to open doors. I have the handles that u push down on to open and he has seen me enough times do it and now is opening all of the forbidden doors. I am going to have to put bells on my doors now. It's so cute. I tried to hide his tricycle in one of the rooms and now he knows how to open the door to get to it
#366 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 04:17 PM

Oh my gosh, ya'll, I just have to tell this to someone who will understand!!!

**Please Please Please do not think I'm bragging, 'cause I'm not. I've been in the no-sleep-hell for months and I know what it is like. **

Disclaimer If you are feeling sensitive about sleep issues, you may want to skip this post

My daughter slept from 9pm until 4am without waking once!! No nursing!! No crying!!! She slept in our bed, as she always does, and she actually slept!!!!

All day I have felt wonderful. I feel like celebrating!!! She woke at 4, nursed, then woke for good at 7:30. A little earlier than usual, but IM SO NOT COMPLAINING!!!

Just had to share!!

As for toothbrushing, we brush about twice a day. DD loves it. She loves to do it herself, which i don't feel she can do a good job at yet (she mostly just chews on it!!) So we have a deal. She has a nice baby toothbrush that her daddy got her at Whole Foods and that is what we brush her teeth with. When we are done we let her brush (chew) with a regular supermarket toothbrush that is extra soft and extra cheep! That way we don't have to keep replacing her toothbrush every week which is what we'd have to do otherwise.... It's all about compromise in this house :LOL
#367 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 05:55 PM

Scarlett has 2 teeth on top and 2 on the bottom. We brush at night and she does not like me to do it. Sometimes I'll just take a cloth and try to wipe them off. No toothpaste, just water.

Beautiful pictures casina! I just love seeing pictures from places I've never been!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#368 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 PM

casina, loved the pics, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to try a bidet by the way!! :LOL

someday.... :LOL
#369 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 07:02 PM

Orajel makes a Toddler Training Toothpaste which is pretty much the same stuff you get with the fingertip brush. Just a bigger tube. It is safe to swallow and flouride free. We got an Oral B toothbrush for our son. It is for 4 months - 24 months and he loves it. Daddy brushes his teeth first and then he gets to do it. He didn't like the fingertip brush at all. I guess that because he doesn't like orajel either when he is teeting.

#370 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 07:04 PM

punkprincessmama congrats on the 7 hours of sleep. Now that my son is night weaned and almost completely weaned (he is self-weaning) he is starting to sleep through the night. It has been 16 long months of not much sleep but it has been worth it! My son is so healthy. Breastfeeding is a God-send.

#371 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 07:49 PM

i'm not sure about the black chicken. it is a different kind of chicken and i'm sure is touted to be healthful in different ways. taiwanese and other asians are interested in black foods, i presume due to the yang quality.

clay kept standing in front and turning on my aunt's bidet which was to him a peeing machine. i know they make bidet seats you can attach to the toilet for a couple hundred dollars....

i've never slept that kind of stretch since before reed, unless you count being unconscious from being sick. i'm just glad to get five hours uninterrupted sometimes. i'm only happy with full force breastfeeding and prefer to keep that period far away. i've always found partial nursing totally annoying and icky physically. generally i'm an all or nothing gal.

hjohnson, i'm not sure why you couldn't nurse due to food poisoning, aside from you feeling terrible....

ruby wants to eat toothpaste. seems like the girls i know tend to be this way. just rubbing with a wet washcloth or your finger is good. and setting a good example, which i am not.
#372 of 591 Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 PM

I could of nursed but I was feeling worse than DH and he wouldn't wake me up so I could nurse DS. Men! I did nurse DS this morning and man have I missed it. DS was content as well.

#373 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 03:30 AM

Greetings and Salutations..
My name is Jaime I was born a Mama to Zachary on Nov 23,2002.
I have been reading this thread for a couple of days and I am still not through the entire thing! I have so many things to comment on (hate the musical fingerpaint toy also!) but I can never remember them all because I lost 1/2 my brain cells when I gave birth (according to DH) We are into AP, we BF and used to co-sleep although he is in his own room now..with the occasional trip to the "big bed" working on some nasty molar issues right now..totally into solids though..he is my lil piggy boy..if mama is gonna eat it Zaky wants some too! big fan of bananas though!!!
walking since 1/1/04...not very verbal so we are going to try to learn ASL...(good idea I picked up here!) anyone ever try the Extreme Comfort Love Sling..I just got one on loan..and it has rocked my world!and seeing how my baby boy is 25lb solid..its a much needed device..he is being very clingy since the molar issues began which I love but it drives me insane sometimes..well it seems I have rambled enough for an introduction..once you all get to know me this is pretty common I just type away as thoughts trickle out... digression is my middle name.. actually its Marie but anywho.... over and out!

Jaime (Zaxmama)
#374 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 11:05 AM

I have a hot sling pouch and a maya wrap sling but I am thinking about getting a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch so I can use it with both kiddos easily.

#375 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

welcome jaime.

re: slings: I have a maya wrap, but lately dd has been wanting to walk more than ride. We also have a nice backpack that she likes to ride in. Enough so that when we open the closet where we keep it she tries unsuccessfully to pull it out. I am soo glad we spent the $$ and got a nice one on ebay. Plus my dh will carry her anywhere in the backpack but is afraid of the sling. I am considering making a homemade back carrier (sorry can't recall the name and also can't find the link off the top of my head). basically a square with ties on it, they ride on your back.

casina....i can completely understand the full time nursing or not at all nursing. that's how i am feeling lately (i.e this week). as in, i'm frustrated and somehow feel a bit icky when dd tries to nurse. But we soldier on...I'm not 100% ready to give it up just yet and she seems to still enjoy it.

#376 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 12:25 PM

Welcome Zaxmama!

We have the Pea in the Pod Pouch from and we LOVE it so much. DH and I both wish we had one of these from teh begining and agree this is where we should have spent the money instead of on the stroller we seem to use once in a blue moon!
#377 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 PM

Welcome to the newbies, jump right in!

My Zachary is nowhere near nightweaning. We're having progress with the sleep issues, but there's absolutely no cutting down on the nursing. It really urks me when I read stuff about kids over a year old needing to eat so many solids during the day, and that we should be limiting their nursing until after they've eaten solids. Yeah, whatever, limit nursing with my screaming, crying, kicking, baby asking for "MMM Mama"??? It'll never happen! We have no meal schedule here for the kids, we leave cereal out on the coffee table pretty much all day, and if we eat something the babies will pick off our plate. Seems to be working for now!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#378 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 02:37 PM

I'm so glad to hear someone else is feeling lukewarm about nursing lately! Tyson nurses a lot- night and day, and I have always loved it...but I'm started to get a little tired of it. I'm keeping on, still plannign to let him wean in his own time...just so glad to have other mamas to talk to about it. I WILL make it!
#379 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Believe me, if I had my choice, I would nurse Christopher until he was 4 or 5. I'm letting him decide when he wants to stop. We are down to one nursing a day and it is first thing in the morning. I love snuggling in bed with him.

#380 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 PM

It amazes me everyday how many of u have nursed up until now. It is an honor to know that it can be done. All of u deserve an award for the dedication u have given even when u are down and out, tired and in need of sleep.

I nursed Giovanni for only 5 months. I wanted to nurse longer but I found out I was pregnant with my second son Gavin and was not producing enough for him , as well as me being sick most of the time.

I now am nursing Gavin and hope I can do it for as long as most of u have.

Hats off to all of U.
#381 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 07:18 PM

I absolutely nursing still. Owen is on the go all the time. He doesn't stop for anything. Except his nummies. Lately, he's been nursing to sleep for his naps again (I think he's hit a growth spurt and is extra tired). It's so awesome to look at his peaceful little face and see just a wee bit of baby there yet. He's all content--sleeping and sucking. *sigh* :*) He still nurses 4-5 times a day, although he sleeps about 11 hours/night. And he eats a lot of food--he loves it.
#382 of 591 Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 PM

Have your tots all transitioned down to 1 nap/day? My dd seems to be in the process. If she has 2 naps she's often up until 11 p.m. at night...like last night. Both dh and I were in bed pretending to be asleep and she was toddling all over, talking to her toys, reading books, playing climb Mt. Mommy, etc. She was awake at 6 a.m. for about 45 minutes...not up and playing but just nursing on and off and trying to sleep. Then up for the day at 8:30 a.m.

Now it's 3:15 p.m. and I've been trying to nurse her down for a nap for over an hour. No luck. Finally sent her out in the buggy with dh.

She's always napped twice/day in her buggy. I'd like to get her out of the habit because we want to be more mobile and can't take the buggy on a holiday with us..it's too big. So I've been trying to nurse her down for her nap (she nurses to sleep at night) and it worked on Tuesday, but not today.

Any suggestions for how I can change the routine. I'd prefer to not to replace it with nursing to sleep because right now dh can put her down for her naps and I love the freedom that gives me. I just can't figure out how else to get her to sleep.
#383 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 12:31 AM

Island Mommy---I don't know if this will help, but this is what it's like at our house.
Scarlett hasn't been taking 2 naps since she was about 9 months old. Definetly not my idea! I would lay her down, but she just wouldn't sleep. Now she goes to bed about 8 and gets up about 7. She takes a 2-3 hour nap at 1. I nurse her before bed, but not so she goes to sleep. Then I lay her in her bed and she goes to sleep. When i first started putting her down awake it took her a little bit to get used to it. If she would cry I would go in and comfort her and then put her down again and repeated this until she fell asleep.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#384 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 02:55 AM

I had such a Mommy moment last night.. Zak usually sleeps in his own room.. but lately he has been waking a few times a night (due to his molars...poor baby) so last night I brought him into bed with me..and he fell right back to sleep and didn't wake again all night.. but as he lay there sleeping I just watching him, his chubby rosy cheeks..his incredibly long eyelashes his perfect bowing lips, his sweet breath was like perfume to me..it was amazing I kept petting his little soft curls and sprinkling tiny kisses on his face..my goodness the emotional ties are almost physically painful..I cannot grasp how a Mother can hurt their own children or any children, their innocence is so intoxicating it completely puts a spell on me..I am a slave to this child. I am so in love with him it hurts..he is my world and I am his...its true the decision to have a child it to accept your heart will forever walk about outside your body. ahhh..sigh.. I had to go all sappy there sorry I just thought if anyone would understand its you all... after reading 20 pages of threads..I feel like I know you all so well.

BTW toothbrushing,we use gerber toddler paste (no floride) and we brush in the tub.. first mama does it for him then he can do it himself which is actually zak putting the brush in his mouth and whipping his head back and forth in a NO motion..whatever works!
and as for teething I have found baby nirvana... highlands homeopathic teething tablets (health food store) I had him one at a time (he gets 3 tablets) and he puts them in his mouth by himself they dissolve instantly..(dh tried one) he loves it .. and in about 15 mins. he is happy as a lark...(they also make him sleepy? )

as for the babes that are nursing like maniacs while at home during the day I can relate..if we are doing something out he is fine but at home he wants to sit on mamas lap and hunt out the goods..he is constantly going up or down my shirt..I feel like I gave birth to an octupus..and if I say no... there is heck to pay. he will just freak out... so I cave,... I always cave.. does this mean I am spoiling him?
#385 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

24hr.mom ---> i'm amazed at you having kiddos 11 months apart and still having some sanity left. kudos to you. the nursing will likely be easy after all that!

napping ---> anyone heard of a kid doing their long nap in the morning? Erin's at daycare in the morning. She naps there and lately dcp has been opening the door so the (other) kid's noise will wake her up --- with the idea of preserving erin's afternoon nap for me. But the thing is the afternoon nap has been suffering. urgh. I'm wondering if instead of dropping the am nap erin is ready to drop the pm nap and sleep for 3 hours in the morning? any thoughts on this? she will sleep for me sometimes in the afternoon -- but it is usually in the sled or stroller because she's tired but not THAT tired that she wants to stop playing to take a nap.

oh and as for dh putting dd down.....our nighttime routine is nurse then put her in the crib. but on the days when I am not home, my dh will just cuddle her with a (sippy) cup of milk or water and then she'll waddle over to the crib and want him to put her in. This evolved from falling asleep on daddy's chest. I guess what I'm saying is that if you leave the scene and just leave dh in charge I think your kids develop a new routine with daddy around. Dh putting erin to sleep has been a big relief cause now I can go to yoga or go skiing alone 2 days a weeek....and dh is pleased cause he feels like he gets quality cuddle time with dd.

#386 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 12:11 PM

You CAN NOT spoil a baby with the boobie. At least, that's what I'm telling myself! :LOL Think about it, babies who use a pacifier are allowed to suck on it all day long, while they're playing or whatever. Well, my kid uses the boob as his pacifier, so when he thinks he needs a little nip he'll stop what he's doing, crawl over to me, hug me, then start moving my shirt aside so he can access the Mama milk. I don't mind. I think it makes him more confident, he knows I'll always be here for him to offer comfort when he needs/wants it. The ONLY time it's aggrivating is when I'm tired and Zach is fighting sleep and he just goes on and off the boob over and over until he can't fight it anymore and passes out. It's annoying only because I'm tired. Other than that, I let him nurse whenever he wants. Like you said, Zaxmama, if my Zach is busy he usually doesn't nurse, but when we're home and I can leave my shirt open all day, so to speak, he's all over it!

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#387 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM

kerc- it is a pain in the butt when they change their schedules and it doesn't fit into yours. But, I have always just let my kids fall asleep when they're tired, and sleep until they're ready to wake up. They just kind of found they're routine on their own, although sometimes their naps would vary. Most of the time Zach takes a long nap from 1-3 or so. Julianna takes an hour nap at 11, and another one around 2. This is a new thing, as they used to take one big huge nap from 11-2... Nice for me! I just kind of go around their naps when we're making plans, but if they miss their usual nap they're old enough now to not be completely exhausted, they just go to bed early that night. I say, let Erin figure it out on her own. Maybe she'll take a nice long morning nap, stay up all day, and start going to bed earlier, so you and DH can have some down time in the evenings...?

#388 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 01:22 PM

I have found that Christopher seems to do better if he naps for 3 hours in the morning instead of the afternoon. Then he goes to bed between 8 and 8:30pm and we won't see him again until 6am. Lately though he has been waking up at midnight due to cutting molars. Hylands is a wonderful thing.

#389 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Zaxmama- I can totally relate to your "mommy moment," as my DS grows up I find myself just getting teary watching his sleep, laugh, clap, communicate what he wants...etc. Last night my DH woke me up by leaning over me and looking at DS sleeping. He just sighed at me and said, "don't ya love him?" I never knew I'd love him like this!

Last evening Tyson tripped and landed on his face (not that unusual) and bit his lip. Poor kid bled and bled and now today it's all red and swollen. He doesn't care, just looks so pathetic!
#390 of 591 Old 03-05-2004, 05:27 PM

Poor Tyson! I hope he feels better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page