nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 591 Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We took the kids to the lake yesterday! It was 88 degrees here! They both loved it. It was Julianna's first time on a boat, but Zach has already been out a few times (last year). Zach stood right up at the bow, facing the wind, talking and laughing. He had so much fun, sitting with Daddy, turning the steering wheel. Julianna, being more resered, whimpered a little and was more content sitting on the floor or with me. Zach was ready for swimming but the water is still a little too cold. We just had a huge rainstorm less than a week ago, which brought a bunch of water down from the mountains into the lake. I'm guessing it was about 55 degrees... Not too cold for you MidWesterners, but chilly enough for us desert dwellers!

Zachary is starting to walk!!! He loves watching his reflection in the glass doors on the fireplace. He'll fall down and look at himself and clap. He's still pretty unsteady, but he gets up and tries again, laughing the whole time. You mamas whose babies started walking 6 months ago must think it's weird to have a baby just starting at 15 months! I'm excited to watch his progress... Even though he's growing up too fast for me!

Ugh, laundry calls...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#422 of 591 Old 03-11-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

KAH --> glad ya'll got out and had some fun! You had such a rough couple of weeks with all the sickies in your house. For reference, when i say we went swimming in lake superior in AUGUST....the water might have been 60 degrees :LOL My doggie would go anytime he could though. We have to keep him off the big lake in the winter because the ice isn't thick enough, I'm worried he'll slip through.

And I'm kinda jealous that you got the reprieve from walking for a few months. Erin's running. Which is an issue in parking lots. How does Julianna do?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#423 of 591 Old 03-11-2004, 11:15 PM

Hi Mamas

Just a quick note to say that we are finally moving early next week. It's just around the corner, but I expect it will take us a few weeks to get settled in and all. I'm going to be swamped the next few days finishing the packing.

Soooo... y'all take care and by the time I "see" you again, we should all be enjoying spring weather!

#424 of 591 Old 03-12-2004, 01:03 AM

happy moving!

i agree, i have a runner and dancer and climber and expert harmonica player. yes it's cute and more vigilance as well. i'm also not encouraging talking, though....i have a friend with a babygirl that is two months older that was over today. she said four and five word sentences today and could clearly say "clay", offered the word artichoke and learned my name in a heartbeat, and told her daddy on the phone "hey daddy" and "love you" like she was born to do it. i know some threes that don't talk as well. reed could talk that well as a baby, as well as my husband.....but it still was amazing to witness with ruby's incessant babbling and singing.
#425 of 591 Old 03-12-2004, 01:08 AM

My oldest had her own language until at least 18 months. She would sit and "read" her books, turning pages and just talking in her own babble. Anytime really riding in the car, on walks... Now i wish i would have recorded it. She is 2.5 now and speaks really well in full sentences.
Scarlett on the other hand was very quiet and then around 13 months started saying single words. Today for the first time she said to me i wuh yu

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#426 of 591 Old 03-12-2004, 08:56 PM

Happy moving! Gosh is that an adventure.

Casina, I'm sorry your friend is moving. It's so hard to lose an IRL parenting friend.

I'm glad we're talking language, I was just about to ask. I'm starting to worry. I know I should just be patient, and I try to be, but dd's hearing and comprehension have worried me from the start (as some of you here might remember). And I know she's normal, but I never get sick of hearig reassurances, yk? I'm glad to hear other babies have had their own languages but gone on to learn English as well. She does seem to have comprehension, when she's interested in what you're talking about. She just has no desire to say words. She prefers communicating with pointing and squeals. I think I may just be feeling isolated. I would so LOVE to have someone to "talk" to!

But she sure can be loud! She loves to put on her biggest loudest shoes and stomp around the kitchen. When she's throwing a tantrum she'll grab everything in site and throw it to the ground-- but if she's on the carpert, she'll run to the lineoleum before throwing it! :LOL

:LOL :LOL I know I shouldn't laugh but it's just so darn cute.
#427 of 591 Old 03-12-2004, 11:56 PM

XmasEve-- that is too funny :LOL Sometimes you do just have to laugh!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#428 of 591 Old 03-13-2004, 12:20 AM

Quote:
When she's throwing a tantrum she'll grab everything in site and throw it to the ground-- but if she's on the carpert, she'll run to the lineoleum before throwing it!
HA! Your DD and my DS should meet.. my DS loves to throw himself on the ground when he is having a tantrum except he will run to the CARPET and do it.. I believe he must have done it on the tile once and now he "knows" better..Although I have to say it kind of ruins the credability of the tantrum when he searches for a softer landing..and your right..It is SO darn cute..
#429 of 591 Old 03-13-2004, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Erin has about 7-10 little bumps on her belly, appearing to be bug bites. She's all out of sorts - cranky and easily upset, she was SUUUPER tired this morning when she woke from her nap. A bit warm to the touch.

if so....what do we do to make her more comfy? what should i know?

(and for the record it would be a relief to me to dodge that bullet. but she could have picked a better time this week is crazy)

#430 of 591 Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Julianna has some major issues when it comes to walking/standing. She won't even bear weight on her legs. They just go spread eagle and she starts crying like she's physically in pain. I don't know if there's something physical going on, or if it's a brain thing, or what. Her therapists say she should catch up, but I am pretty worried. I know there is something definitely wrong with her in that area... She's kind of hit a plateau on development- she's learned to crawl and says 3 words, so I guess she's tired and needs to rest LOL. She/ we definitely have some work to do to get her on target, but for all the stuff her stupid mother did to her, Julianna sure turned out healthy and strong! BTW, her mom violated probation and is back in jail, so no more rehab program to regain custody in the near future!!! I know it's bad to be happy for that, but heck, wouldn't anybody be glad to keep the baby they've raised since they were born???

Zach is walking more and more. Still pretty unsteady, but he's on his way. He keeps trying and trying. I am REALLY afraid of him falling and hurting himself, and then getting discouraged that walking isn't so much fun after all... But, I guess that's just part of being a mom... Letting go of your little one long enough for them to learn and explore and grow... He's really a "toddler" now! :LOL

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#431 of 591 Old 03-13-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaxmama
it kind of ruins the credability of the tantrum when he searches for a softer landing
That's EXACTLY what's so funny, that it ruins the credibility of the fit! And isn't it neat that they're exploring texture and their surroundings? I've just recently started letting dd go barefooot in the house (it was too cold earlier) and she loves the different feel of things under her feet.

kerc, I think that does sound like chicken pox, but I'm in no way an expert. I'm afraid I don't know what to do to make her more comfortable. I'd say oatmeal baths if she likes playing in the water. Keep us posted! (And I'd ask you to share them with dd, but we're going on vacation next week, so please don't!)

KAH, I think it is very courageous to be a foster parent, so I am very happy for you that you get to keep Julianna for so long.
#432 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 12:45 AM

kerc, it could be chicken pox or it could be this other thing that i can't remember the name to. whatever it is my nephew had it and so did my girls (at different times). They got little red dots on their trunk and ran a very slight fever. It went away in a few days. My sis is a nurse she will know the answer. I can ask her tomorrow.

#433 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KidsAtHeart
Zachary is starting to walk!!! He loves watching his reflection in the glass doors on the fireplace. He'll fall down and look at himself and clap. He's still pretty unsteady, but he gets up and tries again, laughing the whole time. You mamas whose babies started walking 6 months ago must think it's weird to have a baby just starting at 15 months! I'm excited to watch his progress... Even though he's growing up too fast for me!
Right there with you, Leah. Ds has just started and I find it so poignant to watch him upright, his little chest puffed out for balance and the sweet and proud look in his eyes when he makes it across the room to me. Everyone else's babes in our toddler tribe here are running so it's nice to have another mom who is experiencing a similar joy (and a touch of sadness, his babyhood is becoming a memory )

Kerc, hope your dd is feeling better.

Dh is in a *mood* so I have escaped for a brief moment to 'my moms' as he calls y'all. Ok, brief moment is over...I hear ds calling for me. Gotta run.

mamas
#434 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 01:41 PM

kerc--my sis said it is called fifths disease. it looks like a rash and usually goes away in 5-7 days. have you figured it out yet?

#435 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kerc
Erin has about 7-10 little bumps on her belly, appearing to be bug bites. She's all out of sorts - cranky and easily upset, she was SUUUPER tired this morning when she woke from her nap. A bit warm to the touch.

if so....what do we do to make her more comfy? what should i know?

(and for the record it would be a relief to me to dodge that bullet. but she could have picked a better time this week is crazy)
I have the book WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR:

For Chicken Pox: Slight fever, Loss of appetite, severe itching, Flat red spots turn into pimples, then blister, crust and scab, new crops continue to develop for 3 to 4 days, mostly on the body. Call doctor to confirm diagnosis. Itching use Calamine lotion or other antihistaminic preparation or comfortably hot bath. Fever: keep cool, increase fluid intake or give fever reducing medication

For Fifth Disease: Joint pain is rare, Intense flush on face(slapped-cheek look), Next day, Lacy rash on arms and legs, 3 days later rash on inner surfaces(fingers, toes, trunk, buttocks) Rash may reappear on and off with exposure to heat(bath water, sun) for 2 or 3 weeks. Call doctor for diagnosis. Treatment is none, no diet changes.

Hope this helps
#436 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info. no new red bumps yesterday, though she was all funky again yesterday. No new bumps today -- she seems better. No real flush to her face -- occasionally, but I don't think it is fifth's disease. Food allergy? bug bites? Really mild pox? who knows. We are just riding this one out.

She seems tired, but not letharigic and has had trouble napping - i.e sleeps for 20 mins and then wakes up and can't get back to sleep. That basically describes the first 11 months of her life so it is not really a new thing to us.

#437 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 09:45 PM

kerc, like I said, I have no real idea, but that sounds like me when I had chicken pox in pre-school. I got less than a dozen spots, never really itched, just seemed cranky and restless, only a warm fever. The only way they knew it was chicken pox was that every other kid in my preschool had them before me. (Literally EVERY OTHER KID. When I finally got them, my mom got down on her knees and begged them to let me stay at school-- no one could catch it from me as they'd already had it, and she couldn't take any time off work. It was funny.) So do you know if Erin has been exposed lately?

How are the babies who were taught sign language doing now? I recently rented the Sign 2 Me video. I read the book when I was pregnant, and would've liked to try it, but could never remember the signs. I wanted dh to help, as he actually knows ASL, but he never read the book. Duh, I should have gotten the video then! (He's not one for reading, but can you say couch potato?) He got really excited and is trying to teach dd now. But she has such good verbal comprehension now that I think he's just confusing her with his enthusiasm. So I was just curious, as I know some of the babies here sign with their parents.
#438 of 591 Old 03-14-2004, 11:28 PM

I started signing to Christopher when he was 6 months old and he did his first sign for milk when he was 7 months old. After that things took off. He knows the signs for milk, more, up, eat, all done, and book.
I would teach him more but his vocabulary seems to be taking off.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#439 of 591 Old 03-15-2004, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by XmasEve
So do you know if Erin has been exposed lately?
none of the daycare kids seem to have it.

we go to ECFE (minnesota thing -- early childhood family education) mom and kiddo thing and one kid there had it but his mom kept him home for 2 weeks. We go again tomorrow -- we'll see then.

#440 of 591 Old 03-16-2004, 01:50 AM

there's a bunch of bacterial and viral illnesses with spots. i have a book called taking care of your child i find very helpful though i lack the energy to go get it right now, sorry....it has flow charts that will point you to call the doctor or see the doctor depending on the symptoms. my kids have had a few of the spotty things and i guess i just lump them with all the other little illnesses they get after trying to classify them and realizing that dealing with them was the same as any other sickness, aside from being nice to the bumps.
i'm in a funk, waiting for it to go away.

how old is julianna?
talking does not mean they can figure out what they want. they just feel they have more power to get what they want. and then we try to reason with them, haha. my first talked so well that we have always expected more from him.
#441 of 591 Old 03-16-2004, 12:22 PM

casina- Julianna just turned one on Feb. 27th.

It's funny, but Julianna just got over some weird rashy thing, too. She had hivey-looking things on her face and a few on her back. I'm not sure, but I think it could have been my fault... I gave her some banana bread and I forgot that I had put some walnuts on the top! I know, I know, I'm a bad mom... It could have been way worse, if it was an allergic reaction, so I feel lucky it wasn't worse than hives!

For those familiar with EC: We've been putting Zach on the potty when we see he's about to poop since he was about 8 mos. old. Sometimes we catch him in time, sometimes we don't. I really only did it to cut down on the amount of poopy cloth diapers we had to wash LOL. Well, just in the past couple of days he has been "asking" to go to the potty A LOT. He grabs his diaper and grunts like he has to poop. Then he smiles really big when I ask him "Do you have to go potty?" He won't stop grunting until I take him to the bathroom, but he usually doesn't do anything. I think he just likes to sit on the toilet, and he's happy that he can communicate with me, maybe? Anyway, should I keep putting him on the pot every time he "asks"? Even if it's 3 or 4 times a day? I don't mind doing it most of the time, even if I know he won't go... I don't want to turn him off from going to the bathroom, but OTOH I don't want him to go overboard on the "sitting on the potty is fun" thing. Any ideas are appreciated...

#442 of 591 Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM

*Mamajaza* and eilowny I thought that this lovely image would nourish and inspire both of you as you continue to unfold 'infinite potential' in the ocean of your womb.
#443 of 591 Old 03-17-2004, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

wondering...how much TV/videos/etc do your kids watch?

I ask, not to be judgemental or to start any kind of holier than thou ideas...I was blown away yesterday when i was chatting at my (mostly mainstream) moms group. We were talking about tv/computer games/etc for 1-2.5 year olds and I was like : "your kids actually watch tv?" and "there are video games for wee ones?" For reference, about 5 of the 10 kids watch 2 hours a day and play video games for like 30 minutes. the other 4 kids -- maybe 2 hrs of tv but no games and my poor child -- well, I know the TV is on for about 30-60 minutes each day at daycare. Every time I have shown up when the tv is on, erin is running around like a maniac in another room and somewhat oblivious to the concept of tv. In this town it is totally impossible to find good, caring people who are willing to take a kid less than 2 and live within 20 minutes of me. 1 hr of tv a day is a compromise I can live with.

Myself I don't watch much except sports and the news. So I find it hard to understand wanting to watch any particular show (i.e "my kid watches dora and blues clues every day"). We don't get cable so sports is out most of the time. I think if we had cable I might expand to home shows (i.e. this old house or whatever said shows are called on cable). I do love PBS but we seem to be in a month long fundraiser so I am tuning them out.

#444 of 591 Old 03-17-2004, 10:23 PM

Owen adores the Wiggles. It's on twice a day. He doesn't sit and watch it, but will stop playing every now and again to dance to them. It's actually pretty cute.
#445 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 AM

Revina and Scarlett are with my mom from 8-2 M-F and she lets them watch Sesame Street everyday. I've told her I can deal with that, but no more, however, sometimes I think she slips Barney in there.
Occasionally if the girls are really impeding the dinner process i will let them watch a Dr. Seuss video, but usually i try to turn on their music instead and that often works.
About once a week Revina gets to play an ABC Elmo game on the computer for about 15 minutes.

When we move to Tucson this summer we won't have a t.v. and i'd like to keep it that way. But my want to watch movies may override that. If that's the case we'll keep it in a closet or something.

#446 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 12:56 AM

Giovanni watches about an hour of tv a day. He starts with Sesame Street in the mornings, then Boo Baa at 12 noon followed by Teletubies. Although he does not watch the full show, he shows prefence to certain parts of each show. For example, in Sesame St. he love the Journey to Ernie. As soon as he sees big bird finding Ernie he looks at me and smiles as if to say look mommy we found Ernie.

Also every now and then we go to PBSKIDS.com and play some of the games and listen to the music. His attention span is about 5 minutes and thats it.
#447 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 02:19 AM

No tv watching here for ds or mama.
#448 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 09:00 AM

we don't have cable, so no tv here either.
i do watch movies when dd is nursing to sleep for naps and at night, and occassionally i will watch a bit while she is awake. but not often.
we have wathced some baby einstein videos. more when i was working at the restaurant we used to run.
but now that that is closed, i don't have to use them.

my in laws can't quite get it that we don't do videos. so i have a bunch listed on amazon to sell.

#449 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

mona kathryn is so darn cute!! she has a lot of hair (relative to my baldy!).

how do you like the push-able wagon -- from the most recent photo on your weblink?

#450 of 591 Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM

We have every cable channel known to man for free because of DH's job. He works for Time Warner Cable. Even with all that TV, DS probally watches on average a half-hour of tv a week. I don't see the need for him to be entertained by the TV. I feel it is my job to play with him and keep him entertained. He is big into coloring right now. I usually watch TV while he is napping or asleep for the night because then I can watch it uninterrupted unless DH has other things on his mind. LOL!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page