nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i must agree that eli is beautiful! i have always thought that elwynn was the most beautifulest kiddo in the world but eli is right up there! hehe.

fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#482 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 03:14 PM

A little story to share...

On Saturday my girls and I went to the mall with my sister and her son. At some point my sister and I got seperated. The girls and I were looking around the different stores to find them. While in Victoria Secret the girls wanted out of the stroller to walk around. I said okay as long as they stayed by me and when we were ready to leave they had to get back in the stroller. So we go back into the dressing rooms to look for my sister and as we are walking out I notice Scarlett is no longer behind me. My rational mind knows that we are in the back of the store and she couldn't have gotten to the front w/o me seeing her, but still I could feel panic rising in my throat. I go back into the dressing area and after a minute I hear a little giggle. She is hiding behind one of the dressing room doors, laughing! She purposely hid from me and thought it was funny. She is 16 months old. I never would have thought she would think about something like that!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#483 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 06:55 PM

Oh, that is so cute! SCAREY, but cute!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#484 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 07:00 PM

Oh no!
#485 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 08:06 PM

Eli does that all the time.. it's one of the reasons I started using the sling as a leash...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#486 of 591 Old 03-23-2004, 10:47 PM

ok, i have new photos up. i had to fix the other link. :
http://groups.msn.com/woolpants/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

i have not let dd be out of her sling yet while in stores. (except to be in the front part of the grocery cart). i am not looking forward to this happening. yikes. those little legs can run fast!

no potty for us either. i originally was thinking of doing ec, then i balked out. back then dd sat on her little potty every morning, and sometimes during the day. now she just plays with it. we do a lot of naked time around here, so she is constantly peeing and pooping on the floor. it is helping me to know her signals better, which will help me get ready for the potty.

i think i've finally accepted that we are down to one nap.
if for some odd reason she has her first nap really early, a car ride might lull her into a second one. otherwise i just forget about it. she goes to bed earlier that way anyway, which i appreciate.

on a final note, dd read to me today from her favorite book.
JUST KIDDING. just wanted to see if everyone was paying attention. :LOL

#487 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mona
on a final note, dd read to me today from her favorite book.
JUST KIDDING. just wanted to see if everyone was paying attention.

I just spewed coffee across my desk LMAO!!! you are too funny.
I just no longer go shopping -- good for the wallet, good for the family and erin gets to wear almost 100% mama made clothes. Granted they are nothing special, but i can whip up 3 t shirts in about an hour once i have the fabric.

erin is more or less down to one nap. ok by me -- no more fighting over nap time. She is a happy camper, i am a happy camper and sometimes if daddy is home i can still take a nap.

potty learning?? describes my house. sometimes erin takes off her diapers, but never to show me she did her business on the floor. mostly so she can take off her diaper and slide down the slide naked.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#488 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 12:09 PM

I'm having issues with the nap thing. Owen still takes 2 naps/day. He's been waking about an hour earlier than normal (normal is about 6:45) so I think that he's getting too much sleep during the day.

He goes down about 8:30 at night. His first nap is usually around 9-9:30am. Then he wakes up, we eat lunch and go about our day till about 2:30 when we walk (it's nice enough here to walk now! Yay!) up to get Jacob from school. He then goes down for a second nap about 3:30 or so and sleeps till 5:00. On Thursdays, we go to a toddler time class and we don't get home till 11:15. He's falling down tired then, so I just nurse him down for a nap and feed him lunch after he wakes up--sometimes 3 hours later.

Trouble is, if I go to one nap/day like that, my day is screwed. We've been taking lots of walks (like mega 2 hour walks) and I'm really enjoying it. I watch another boy after school, so I have to be home from 3-5pm and then dh comes home and we eat, yadda, yadda. Maybe I'm putting too much importance on nap time? Should I just let him go with the flow? I'd love it if he'd nap while out on our walks, but chances are he won't. He likes to look around too much. And he NEEDS his sleep or he is super crabby. *sigh* Once the weather gets super warm here, I'm sure I'll want to take our walks in the morning anyway, so maybe the noontime nap isn't so bad.
#489 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
Once the weather gets super warm here, I'm sure I'll want to take our walks in the morning anyway, so maybe the noontime nap isn't so bad.
Don't forget that the sun will begin to rise earlier and set later, probably also screwing up his schedule.

Erin does her long nap in the morning at daycare (why am i paying for daycare?) and then sometimes falls asleep int he jogger/sled in the pm. but lately has been content for a little quiet time while in the jogger -- i.e. looking around, but not running around.

ok where was i going?
oh yeah....dcp tells me she is falling asleep later and later each morning. maybe moving the long nap to the afternoon like every other kiddo i know? maybe the noontime nap is the same thing...moving later and later?

who knows. just when you get them figured out they change right? I think that should be printed at the top of every page in every parenting book!

#490 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 01:58 PM

Just when I'm sure dd is down to 1 nap/day she has a day like today where she wakes at 6:35 a.m., so she'll definitely need 2 naps today.

Usually she wakes at 7:30 or 8 then goes for a nap anytime between 11 and 1. Although I liked 2 breaks during the day I'm enjoying the earlier bedtimes. If dd has 2 naps she's not down for the night until around 10 or so.

I know what you mean about screwing up your schedule. I have a moms group once/week. Since all the kids are younger than dd they're all still on 2-3 naps/day. We've always met at around 12:30 for a lunch. This is right when dd is usually napping now.

My friend's dd (who is the same age) still naps twice/day, at about the same times that Owen does. And yes, she gets up alot earlier than my dd. Guess you have to decide whether you like 2 naps and an early rising or you'd rather have a later rising and just one nap! Good luck.
#491 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Very sweet pics of your dd mama Mona. She's really grown since the last batch you put up. Eli's a cutie also. I guess that's the way it is at this age, they're changing literally overnight. Some mornings I'll wake up and look at ds and I can just see that he's grown in some way--physically, emotionally etc. Must be all that mama milk he's chugging down all thru the night. I'm tired today, really tired. Does anyone else still nap with their babes? Lately I'm finding I have to or I just don't have enough energy for the rest of the day.

#492 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 02:59 PM

I stopped napping with the girls awhile ago and now that I work pt it isn't an option. I found that I would rather be catching up on reading, chatting on the net or do something other than sleeping. Even though I am tired a lot.
As far as naps go...Scarlett has been down to 1 nap for months. She goes down around 1 and sleep from 2-4 hours depending on the day. Then goes to bed about 8:15 and sleeps until 7:30. It is a good schedule for us and it is the same as my older dd which is helpful.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#493 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
just when you get them figured out they change right?
EXACTLY! :LOL

I'm also expecting that setting the clocks ahead will screw him up some as well.

After I posted my last post, we went for a nice long walk. Owen is napping now and probably will for a couple hours. I guess it's not so bad--we'll just have to do our walking in the morning from now on. Our schedules will change again (for the better) when Jacob is out of school for the summer. I have to go up to school and get him at about 2:30, so I'm limited there when it comes to naps as well. Oh well...
#494 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 03:50 PM

one nap a day here.Been like that for months.
#495 of 591 Old 03-24-2004, 03:59 PM

Ha! I WISH I could sleep when my kids sleep! There's just too much to do here- never ending LAUNDRY, dishes, cleaning, dusting, shopping, cooking, dogs, kids, yadda yadda... Half the time one of them wakes up as soon as the other one goes to sleep, anyway. But, when both babies are alseep at the same time, DH and I usually take that opportunity to reconnect, hee hee. Although, I definitely could use a few more winks at night! Zach has been sleeping SO much better since he started walking, so that has helped me considerably. (He's still in bed with us for the majority of the night, but I'm still working on it LOL)

The other day, Zachary and Julianna were holding hands while they sat next to each other in their carseats!!! It was so cute! They are really funny together- sometimes they hit each other, sometimes they kiss each other. We had a playdate with a baby who is a week younger than Julianna, and they didn't even acknowledge her! Well, they looked at her a little bit, but then just scampered off to play with each other.

My wonderful Zachary is reading, too. Totally potty trained, reading poetry, and cooking 4 course meals. He is lecturing at ASU next week, as a matter of fact. HA!

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#496 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 AM

heres one for you all.. my son has recently taken to shrieking (sp?)
is this a phase..good lord please let it be a quick one!
he just walks are screaming and shrieking..he is not especially upset just testing his vocal cords but man oh man..I can hardly stand it. I am starting to think DH is lucky (he is deaf) he can just turn of his hearing aides and the noise is gone. although sometimes its cute..am I sick or what? so anyhow is this normal at his age (16months)?
any input would be helpful..also what kind of other "phases" can anyone recall that I will have to look forward too..
#497 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ava Queen of the World shrieksif me and the sisters in waiting don't attend to her fast enough (what was that about the baby being the spoiled one). MOStly when she needs down from something. (up very skilled down, not so much :LOL) or needs a drink and I am just not getting it. But yeah, it didn't take her long to pick up on that. I have n problem teller her to stop when she does it. I try to catch her before it starts (for instance if I see her climbing up the table - I get her before she gets to the top) and if I can ignore it I try to (for instance if she isn't about to fall off said table). It is really irritating though. my oldest has SID and two shierks is enough to have Madeline inthe floor screaming. Then it is really crappy here.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#498 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 02:02 PM

My Zach has been screaming since he was a newborn. Not his best quality, but I guess it's better than... Well, I can't think of anything, LOL... Now he knows he can get what he wants if he makes noise, so he makes this annoying repetitive sound thats a cross betwen a whine and a shriek, I don't know how to describe it. It's horribly testing to the nerves, that's for sure.

Zachary has fallen in love with bending over... : It's pretty funny, he'll walk to the middle of the room, then bend over and put his hands on his knees, looking around like he's very important or something. Pretty funny to watch!

#499 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 03:19 PM

Last month Chris' biggest annoyance was he screamed all the time. Whether he was happy or sad it was a nice big shriek of some sort.

<sigh> I can't find my book with my knitting patterns and I really need to finish the afghan for my friend.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#500 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 PM

I really admire you ladies who still have time for crafts... I need more ME time for that kind of stuff.

Especially you, kerc- you work, go to school, have a family, and you still have time to go cross country skiing, and sew clothes!!!!!! It's amazing, I tell you!

#501 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

ok don't get too carried away.....
for me working and going to school are tied together. as in I work for my graduate advisor (on my research project).

skiing....well skiing I take the bean along, which works better on some days than others. not to mention it is a major release.

ummm...and you should see the state my kitchen floor is in. :

off for some

erin was up for a while last night. teething?? she's not drooling, but isn't thrilled to nurse, is chewing on everythign and anything and ... can't sleep.

#502 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 05:38 PM

Yesterday, I gave Owen only one nap. Thought all was well till 12:15am when he woke up screaming. I laid with him till about 2am then I had to put him back to bed. I nursed him and gave him teething tablets. His molars are coming in. Poor guy! So of course he's a crank today. 2 naps it is! :LOL
#503 of 591 Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 PM

OK, don't even mention kitchen floors... LOL!!! I told DH that instead of sweeping, mopping, stripping, and rewaxing the floor, I'd like to just get a new one to put on top of the old one. Ha ha!

#504 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 AM

i havent posted in a while, but i have been reading what everyone says. my life is crazy. im moving on the 1st of the month to a new home. elwynn is getting molars and he was SO cranky today. he had a fit and bit his own finger and bled everywhere. it scared me! i finally found him a pair of shoes that he doesnt scream when i put them on him. he is the most easy going kid till he doesnt like something, then thats it. im fired.

nap time..

fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#505 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 AM

Eli refused to nap yesterday at all... and then he didn't fall asleep until nearly 2am! : He was so wound up, and I have no idea why. He's sleeping right now, but he'll probably be up and ready to start his day in an hour or so. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#506 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 AM

Yikes!

Owen took his 2 naps yesterday and was cranky all day as well. Fortunately, he slept all night and even slept in a bit. Those molars are really taking a toll on him. If he's not too cranky today, I'll continue with the one big nap. It works so much better.

Do you all plan your days around naps or do you just go with the flow? We just went with the flow w/Jacob when he was little, but for some reason I feel the need to work around Owen's naps. Jacob was a more low-key child, though. Maybe that has something to do with it. It's not like I'm a hermit or anything, we do have a life, but sometimes I find myself not doing things I'd like to do just because it falls around naptime.
#507 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

good morning mamas!
it is spring here, i think finally. ok so there's still snow, but it rained and thunderstormed yesterday afternoon. so the melt is on!

wrt to sleep schedules. we are slaves to them. Since I made her CIO in her crib, I feel like it is only fair to encourage sleeping at about the same time every day. And she really does get tired at ~ the same time each day. when we pay attention to that she's not crying and fussing, she's actually sleeping. When we try to skip a nap or stay out late she ends up overtired (and a return to the cranky erin we saw in the first 11 months of her life).

#508 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Well...we went to the mall today. We got home about an hour ago, I promptly nursed Owen and he fell asleep immediately. I'm a wild woman! :

We haven't been out anywhere past 8pm in over 15 months! Yikes!

And I agree, Kristen, it makes a big difference to make sure they go down when tired and not to wait too long. We've learned that the hard way as well.
#509 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 04:21 PM

OK Kristpen you have totally hit on a pet peeve of mine (that has nothing to do with anything we are really talking about here). I hate it when people complain about thier childrens sleep and then don't honor thier need for it, drag them out while they should be sleeping and then get mad at the children for acting like tired children. And then a few months down the road wonder why thier perpetually cranky child won't nap and is waking up every hour of the night. We are adults. If our children need sleep we need to suck it up, drop what we are doing no matter how fun it is, go home, and honor our childs sleep cycle. We also need to respect that some babies need a schedule and need more help getting to sleep. My first was hyper scheduled (of her own accord, I just sat wondering where this little freak came from, but really looking back in the NICU she was one a pretty firm schedule and iI think it just really stuck with her.) and my second was just a mess. yet I was dead set against schedules and paid and paid and paid and with Ava I decided she needed to be home as much as possible and her need for a schedule needed to be honored. I guess this does sort of relate. i think sometimes people preaching AP go to far in one direction and in thier effort to not be tied to schedules and stuff they forget that many babies really do thrive on routien and order.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#510 of 591 Old 03-26-2004, 04:23 PM

So anyway, I am a slave to her sleep schedule too but I would rather be a slave to that instead of night waking any day of the week. ASnd for us that is the alternative.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page