nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by XmasEve
And I hate asking this since I know a lot of you have graduated to letting your kiddos fall asleep on their own, kudos to you.
Not us, not us. And I know that a number of us are still nursing thru the night. I still sling 30lb ds down for all naps and nighttime. It takes anywhere from 10 to 20 mins. of me walking and singing him down into the deep green sea of sleep while he cuddles up inside and nurses or self-soothes. I have stopped wondering when he won't need me to do this anymore. I like to think I have *graduated* to this state of acceptance.

Lisa, how are things with your dd? Did you find out what's going on health-wise with her. Sending s & healing vibes your way, mama.

1plus2 welcome. It's wonderful to hear you were able to carry your twins to term and deliver them vaginally. Such big, healthy girls for twins, too

Brayg I feel the same way about my Kozy. It opened up a whole new arena of discovery and mobility. The sling while great for nursing and short trips wasn't cutting it for long periods but the Kozy is wonderful and ds enjoys it.
#572 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 04:59 PM

Hi there 1plus2,

I just have to say that you are the first person i've ever "met" online with a child that has the same name as my baby! I think I actually PM'ed you once about it on Babycenter or something. My daughter's name is spelled Haeven, though, not haven. I spell it that way because of numerology. Haeven has the same number equivilence as heaven, whichis probably a good thing, IMO. That's just funny how we keep "running into each other" on the net.
#573 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XmasEve

I still suck my thumb at 23.
I dont mind my Giovanni sucking his thumb. The problem is that he now has a raw red spot that seems to be coming from his teeth. I'm afraid the skin will tear and get infected.

Did this happen to you?
#574 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 05:17 PM

Hey mamas I haven't posted in ages but I've been keeping up with you all. Sounds like Spring is working its magic for everyone.
XmasEve: I am like you - still nursing dd for all naps and at bedtime and lately it's been more difficult to settle dd down. (Baths have never worked for us). I hear what you're saying about reading but one thing that has worked for us the last few days is me telling dd it's time for bed and she grabs her one book that we reserve for bedtime only. Then she takes off down the hall to bed and we read til she nurses down to sleep. Just a thought.
On another note - I need your help mamas. After 16 ilness free months dd and I have been sick for the last two weeks! I'm at my wit's end and pretty ignorant on the herbal subject. Can anyone help with teas or preparations that might help with congestion/cough for both of us? Thanks and all my best to you mamas.
Maria and Baby Faye 11/17/02
#575 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Karen

Solstice--glad I'm not the only one!

Every day Owen and I walk up and get Jacob from school. We didn't go today because it's SOOOO windy here. I feel really lost now that I didn't walk today. Gotta tell myself that it's ok to miss a day here and there.
#576 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

on getting to sleep.....
she's not nursing to sleep anymore, but my dd has a nighttime routine, which helps her big time.

if she's fighting the normal routine I will say "do you want to __(take a bath, ready a story, put on pjs, nurse, whatever the next thing is)__ or are you ready to get in your crib?" Sometimes she is ready for the crib before we have pjs on. That surprises me -- as in I think we have another 40 minutes and she's ready already.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#577 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 PM

There are some nights where Christopher will want to skip story time and he will point to his crib as to say "I'm ready to go to sleep."

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#578 of 591 Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 PM

Welcome Karen!

We do a bedtime routine also. First we pick up toys, then we do a bath if it is a bath night, pjs, story time, nurse, and then she lays down on her own. So, Scarlett still nurses before bed, but not to sleep. Maybe starting a routine would help. Even if your babe still nurses to sleep doing the same few things each night might help you get on the path to your dd putting herself to sleep. Or what about laying and nursing but not to sleep and then just laying next to her until she falls asleep. Then each night make nursing shorter. I don't really know, since going to sleep wasn't an issue for us.

I remember sucking my thumb. At 6 my parents thought it was time for me to stop. It was so hard and I remember not wanting to, but they bribed me and for stopping I got a pretty little gold ring with a heart on top. : I remember thinking the ring was so pretty, but really I wanted to just suck my thumb. Neither of my girls chose to do it. They both liked pacifiers. My oldest doesn't use it anymore, but now bites her nails. Scarlett still has hers for night and naptime and occasionally duringthe day.

Scarlett doesn't have a lovey either. She has a little lavender baby that is always in her bed when she sleeps, but she doesn't have anything that she carries around. Both of my girls like to play with baby dolls, but they don't have a favorite.

As far as an herbal remedy goes... I give the girls a immuno booster in glycerin that my friend makes when they are sick. I think it works wonders. If you have a health store like Wild Oats nearby try there. They have a special section of herbal kids remedies.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#579 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 02:44 AM

astragalus is safe for all ages, it is like the opposite of echinacea in that echinacea is defensive in the beginning, and astragalus is good to boost the immune system in the midst of illness. it is also good for immune systems at any time. it comes in tincture form. i'm also a fan of acidophilus. it comes in delicious blueberry flavored tablets that i have to hide from the kids....and dh.

dd ruby, now 16 months and ds clay, now 3 years and 3 months both nurse to sleep and nurse through the night (and now both nurse almost fulltime.....food is just a gourmet adventure or a way to get mamma to give acts of service, not nutritional). my babies will go through phases where they need the movement of the sling to get to bed, if i want them to go to bed at an average time. otherwise they will pass out eventually. the teething or fighting an illness seems to affect them laying down. or being on the brink of a growth spurt or learning spurt, or general excitement in life. i did not slingnurse nighttimesleep clay past this age because i was pregnant and tired and dh was hurt and needed me. so we'll see how it goes for ruby. she certainly flails more like reed and is still quite a sling baby, despite her severe independence when she's out of the sling.

here's a personal observation that may apply: two of my kids (reed and ruby) are easier to put to bed at night BEFORE they seem ready. if they start to feel tired they get revved up to compensate and i have to be spiritually forceful and adamant in them going to bed or wait for them to be exhausted. depends on my energy. and my energy also affects them. i have to think sleepy thoughts and such. if i'm even thinking about getting up to do something like what to email or write on mdc or i need to pee they catch on and are hard to get asleep. these two also need the lights off and need to think that everyone else is asleep as well. i finally started getting reed to bed at a decent hour (before eleven, sometimes one.....) by using minimal lighting once the sun goes down. of course with the lengthening of days it gets weird (though i have less of that problem in this latitude) they both also wake up no matter how tired they are. the two rs will generally get up around 7 whether i put them to bed at 8 or 11. unfortunately this really took me years to figure this out so basically reed was tired and in a bad cycle of sleeping for years. and me too.

it might just be spring fever. lately reed is sleeping 6-8 hours and getting up because he is too excited about the next day even though we have little routine and plans in general. activity helps as well, whether it be getting out and seeing new things or running around, even icky stress like walmart shopping. a friend of mine found when she got a trampoline that her kids were going to bed a good hour earlier or more, easily.

generally i remember this age being a turning point, into what exactly, depends on your child! much talking erupts at this age, which will help with some whining (right now give me whining, ruby is just outright screaming lately since that presses my buttons).

they are starting to figure out that they are separate beings from us mammas, and armed with that knowledge are feeling all powerful. which is a big thrill for all of us. i think this is one of the dearest ages. they still dance unconsciously without reserve.

so my answer to your question, xmas, is do what you can, and what feels right to you. we have taken many stroller rides and car rides and walking in the rain with the sling to get them asleep. the only way dh could get reed to nap at 1 1/2y three days a week when i worked part time was to drive the van everyday. if it works it works. it will not affect them adversely and they don't remember for long when you change things.

one more thing, my kids are much easier to get to bed (and easier to get along with) if they have peed. with the toddlers of course it is harder to gauge but sometimes ruby won't go to bed just because she has an extra bowel movement she need to deal with before she can settle down...like tonight!

the interesting thing is that all these things i never knew about myself before children......that's where it came from in the first place.....
#580 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 12:36 PM

Thumb sucking: I'm so glad to hear so many people have this habit! I realize now how normal it is to have a self-soothing habit, even into the adult ages. I thought I would never quit, even though I only did it to fall asleep, so I finally made myself give it up.
And 24hrMom, the little red marks from his teeth are normal, and they'll come and go as long as he's sucking his thumb. When I turned 5 and went to Kindergarten, I started hiding my habit and only doing it at home or to get to sleep. I think that limiting really helps when it comes time to quit- cut out a little at a time until it's done. Right now I'd let your DS suck his thumb whenever he wants!

Getting to sleep: Julianna takes a bottle in bed to get to sleep. Sometimes if she's fussy she'll take 3 (yes THREE) bottles before she'll fall asleep. She has Sensory Integration Disorder and has problems with oral stimulation being soothing- she can't tell when she's full so she'll continue to eat and eat until she can't fit one single drop into her belly, and finally she'll fall asleep. If we keep her up late enough, she'll go right to sleep with one bottle. Pretty easy, IMO, but also crappy since she never had the benefits of breast milk, the bonding of nursing, etc...

Zach sort of has a routine, we put the girls to bed first, then put his Fuzzi Bunz on (he only wears them at night, so he kind of knows it's bed time once it's on), then we rock and nurse until he falls asleep. He will fall asleep for naps while DH rocks him, but NOT at nighttime! If I happen to be away from home at bedtime, DH has to hold and rock DS until I get home, otherwise he'll fall asleep and wake up every 10 minutes until he gets the boob. Anyway- Zachary is kind of like casina's kids- if you miss his sleepy time he'll get a second wind and fight sleep. Then it's gymnastic, acrobatic nursing craziness and we both get frustrated! No matter what you do for a bedtime routine, you have to stick with it. Sometimes it takes months to get my kids on a set schedule of doing something. Repetition and consistency are key, whatever you decide to do XmasEve. (Baths just get Zach hyped up, too, so it doesn't help in the bedtime routine.) And I definitely agree that this could be a phase- Zach is saying new things every day, copying everything we say, etc., and it's kind of rocked our routine a little bit, too. Good luck to you!

solsticemama: What was the link to the Kozy Karrier again??? I went to the site last time you put it up, but the server was down at the time, and I'm really interested in looking for a new carrier. Thanks

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#581 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

ditto on

"don't wait until they seem sleepy to put them down"

and

my kiddo is up with the light as well, MAJOR problem at this latitude as we are soon facing 16 hr days.

#582 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 07:27 PM

24hr.mom, I did get a thumb-sucking blister on my thumb (duh) that got infected. Had to go to the dr. and get it lanced and drained and everything. What did I learn from that? Not to over suck my thumb! I was 2 at that time. I bet Giovanni knows what he can and can't tolerate- I know dd knows that for herself, it's just tough when we don't think they can tolerate as well as they do. Am I making any sense? If it helps, or makes you laugh, my mother credits my perfect teeth (the only perfect teeth in our family) to my thumb-sucking.

Maria, I'll try the one book idea... I hope you feel better soon, but I have no suggestions in return for you... sorry...

Dd is great about going to bed if she's tired, will even lead me down the hall to the bedroom. But that varies from 8pm to 1am, depending on our day's activities. I can't seem to get a handle on routinely wearing her out properly throughout the day for a decent bedtime, so I need her to get used to a decent, predetermined bedtime. Then we can have a good night, a good morning, a good day the next day, etc. I've tried to just follow her lead in terms of bedtimes, but soon our entire schedule is messed up and that makes even dd miserable and frustrated. Maybe it is just the time change-- I hate dst. What is the point of that in Alaska, I ask you?! For the first time I dread the 22 hours of daylight we will be getting this summer.

Stealing from the other thread, who still has soft spots? Dd's is the size of pinky. I know I'll cry when it closes. I even cried when the newborn fuzz wore off her ears!
#583 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM

KidsAtHeart here you go.
#584 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 10:24 PM

I am hoping to get a Kozy once I have some money and the wait isn't so long.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#585 of 591 Old 04-06-2004, 11:11 PM

Thanks, solsticemama! But, every time I go there it says the site is temproraily unavailable... : Oh well, I'll try again later.

(Knock on wood) All the kids are asleep right now! ... It's sad that DH and I are each on our respective computers, instead of together, LOL.

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#586 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

we're on page 20 of this thread -- maybe we should start a new one and ask the mod to lock this one??

(not it, I started this one!)

i posted a thread in the toddler forum --- erin can now officially climb onto the kitchen chairs and grab stuff off the table. EEEKKK!!! (i didn't know there were scissors there!). We had a fun day and i made a few new potential mama friends at the nature center this morning.

#587 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 03:49 PM

Yah! New mama friends, that is exciting.

Curious--why would we start a new thread? What does locking this one mean?

Also, feeling a little . After Karen introduced herself it dawned on me that when I found this thread I was really excited, b/c it gives me a chance to talk about my girl, and I totally forgot to introduce myself. I just jumped right in and started posting without considering that a lot of you had been posting since your now toddlers were babies or possibly even before birth. Sorry!
Anyway, my name is Anna. I have 2 girls that are 16 months apart. My youngest, Scarlett, is who this thread is for. She was born at home in the mountains of Nor. Cal. with an excellent midwife and doula. My mom, best friend, dp, and oldest dd were all there to see her come into the world.
Last May my dp and I seperated and I moved with the girls back to my mom's house in Nebraska (which is where I grew up). We are still living with her. I started back to work last fall for the first time since my oldest was born. I work part-time as a teacher's assistant. It was so hard to leave the girls , but they stay with my mom, so that makes it a little easier.
I am trying to move back to Tucson (which is where my oldest was born) to go to massage therapy school. My ex is back there now too, so hopefully he will help me with the girls. I also have a few mama friends there with girls the same age as mine.
Before I had kids I studied to be an herbalist in NM. I wouldn't mind furthering my educ. in that area either.
I think that is enough about me. Now back to the kids!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#588 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

my reason for starting a new thread would be so that when i am on a computer w/out email I can click on the title of the thread and reasonably quickly go to the most recent post.

locking an old thread means no one can post further. so the last post here would be smething like "go to this (insert link) spot" and then we could all carry on.

i'm totally admiring the single mamas amongst us. you women are amazing!

#589 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, after 30 pages I think it is time for a new thread.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#590 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM

*just* what I was thinking!!!! 500+ posts?! Good lord, we're dedicated.
#591 of 591 Old 04-07-2004, 08:28 PM

OK, I did it... Hope no one minds... Go here for the new thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page