nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - welcome back!

re: rashes -- they can be the result of a virus, too. If they are, they usually go away in 2-3 days. Sascha also had roseola awhile back, which gave her a rash on her front, back, and legs.

S. is getting all 4 of her first molars too - but her canine teeth aren't in yet. The tooth-cutting has made for some fun nights...2 nights ago she only woke up 2x (12:45 and 4) - but I was up from 12:45 to 3:30 b/c i couldn't sleep! Urgh.

If we would only get with it enough to learn more signs, I'm sure she'd pick them up....we are just lame about it. She uses our homemade "help" sign all the time now ... I'm not sure what we did without it! She did pick up a few words - she says "moo" for cow and "hahaha" for sheep (her version of "baaaa", I guess). All other animals are usually "dog".

S. falls asleep either by nursing or being walked by Daddy....she is then put in our bed. We tried the crib thing but she would wake up after only about an hour and her room is freezing cold and she won't keep covers on her. So...for now she's still in our bed and still night nursing.

Are any of you still using slings/carriers? Our Maya just kills my shoulder now. I got an Ultimate Baby carrier on ebay but it hasn't come yet...I"m hoping that will help since it uses both shoulders. S. is 23 lbs or so...but that's plenty!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#62 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 04:05 PM

I'm still using my New Native carrier and my Mei Tai carrier from Toot Sweet. The New Native is starting to hurt my shoulder, but the mei tai carrier is very comfy. It took me a while to figure out how to get Ava into it without help, but now I love it - Having Ava's 20-or-so pounds distributed between both shoulders and my hips makes all the difference!
#63 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 04:21 PM

We use our Ergo and it is very comfortable. I still haven't gotten to the point where I can get it on by myself without a struggle.

I'll use the sling if I'm just wandering around picking up and she wants to be held.

Most of the time she wants to be down running or riding in the stroller, shopping cart or wagon. It makes me so sad to not have the constant contact with her anymore. She does like to read so she will come and sit in my lap with books and she will snuggle if she is sleepy or not feeling well. But other than that she is running around like a mad woman. She just seems so little still.

Guess I should be thankful. I know she has to be pushing 25-26 pounds at this point. She has a dr appointment at the beginning of February, so we will find out then.
#64 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM

I took her to her regular doctor today and he is 99% sure it is a viral infection not an allergic reaction. He said her conjuctivitis and runny nose and rash are all related. He also discovered 2 slight ear infections. This poor baby. He prescribed a 2% hyrdocortisone ointment for her rash and offered some homepathic suggestions for her ears. I opted for the antibiotics which is so not my style. I really just want to get this baby better fast.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I am still holding back on the yogurt and tomatoes until the rash is totally gone.

Amy
#65 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Delurking. Still not really ready for the 'toddler forum.'

We're still using our Maya and OTSBH and I sling-nurse ds to sleep for naps and nights in the maya everytime. He's coming up on 28 lbs so my bones are thanking me. I'm waiting on a KozyCarrier.

We've found a wonderful ped. Totally AP friendly encourages all her moms to bf for at least 2 years. And she's got a homeopathy degree also. She gave ds a remedy for his teeth grinding which these days is ongoing and loud. We can hear it clear across the room

Casina, XmasEve where are you mamas?
#66 of 591 Old 01-20-2004, 10:47 PM

Isabel is doing well - all 3 girls are finally better. Let's hope it lasts this time She is starting to talk a bit more:
"these" while pointing to what she wants
"bye"
"yeah"
"nononononono"

She also s to wear shoes. She is always going in the shoe drawer by our front door and pulling them out and bringing them to me. It's so cute and trying to put on clothes. She's got 7 official teeth and 4 more coming in.

I just started gymboree today w/4 of my girlfriends - it was so fun! Anyone from here (besides you Amy!) near/in Michigan and coming to the Cloth Diaper party? I'd to meet and greet ya!

TTFN

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#67 of 591 Old 01-21-2004, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I have been such a loser to not come here i nso long. But Look http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...7103&members=1 I have pictures of my girls! Really old pictures but none the less. Envision Ava with longer hair and less rolls and there ya go :LOL I will get some updated ones on soon.

She was 7 or 8 months old there. It had to be July or Agust. Probably August.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#68 of 591 Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 PM

lilyka, very sweet pic of your kiddos. it's great to see them after having shared all our stories this past year. you inspired me to try and post some pics of mi familia but after having spent some time trying I still can't seem to figure it out .

mamas
#69 of 591 Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM

solsticemama-
just go to www.snapfish.com and sign up for a free account and upload some pix. it is so easy. i was leary b/c i didn't want to get spammed, but i haven't noticed that being enrolled has made that happen. (mostly my own sis is the one that spams me anyhow : )

i do all my photos through there now. i'm embarrassed by how old my webpage is. it's just hard to find the time to fix it, kwim?

well, gotta go get some stuff done while isabel is alseep and maria is at school...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#70 of 591 Old 01-22-2004, 04:18 AM

Speaking of snapfish, here's a link to some not-too-old photos of Ava...http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=8622...041/l=22907522

My Ava is also saying "no-no-no-no-no" and shaking her head whenever I'm up to something she doesn't care for. This delights my mother, who is happy to see that what goes around really does come around :LOL

lilyka - Wow - Your Ava has the most incredible eyes!
#71 of 591 Old 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM

I uploaded some pics to snapfish as well. That was really easy

Here is the link

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=6562...096/l=22923241

Julia has made up her own sign for stinky- she wrinkles up her nose and waves her hand in front of her face. So far she has told both her dad and her grandpa that they are stinky
#72 of 591 Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Your babies are so cute!!

And thanks, all of my girls have great eyes. They are not sually so wide though :LOL SHe was being goofy when we took that picture. I am nagging my dh to send me some more recent ones. I odn't know why he bothers taking pictures with that blasted didgital camera if he never intends for them to be developed. AT least put them on a disk for me already.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#73 of 591 Old 01-23-2004, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

teeth grinding...what's the remedy? dcp's kiddo is doing that, waking mom and kiddo up.

erin is doing great. I'll say "erin go get in your chair." (holding her dinner on a plate) and she'll run over to the highchair and do her best to climb in. very fun for us!

we are trying to stay warm....bitter, bitter cold here these days. Erin refuses to sleep with any blankets on - when she sleeps with us she kicks off our blankets. So...we put her in a pair of cotton pjs and then a fleece sleeper and crank up the heat. I am sure our heat bill will be crazy, but I can't have my baby freezing!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#74 of 591 Old 01-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Can I join in...please?!! My dd is turning 1 today so she'll be the youngest but we've tried to keep a January 2003 thread going and it just doesn't seem to be working.

She's not too far behind your babes in some respects. She started walking on Jan 1st (easy to remember!) and never crawls anymore. She's short and squat so I think the low centre of gravity helps. I think she weighs around 25 lbs but we haven't had her weighed lately and we don't own a scale...next week we're going to the doc for a well baby visit so I'll get it done then.

8 teeth have been in for a couple of months. I think she's working on the molars but who knows. She won't let me get anywhere near to looking in her mouth.

She used to eat solids but is getting more and more picky. Yesterday she ate rice cakes and tahini...today for breakfast it was toast dipped in yogurt. I make all these great recipes from Cathe's cookbook and she is not interested in any of them Oh well, dh and I enjoy them.

No words other than hi and Dada and she's been saying those for months. Also no signs, although her parents are not very good at remembering to show her. We did EC with her until she was 8 months old but since then she has just refused. Screams and kicks if we put her near the potty. Sigh. Oh well, at least we had a good 6 months of no poopy diapers.

She's napping now (great napper...not so good at night but we're working on it) and DH has gone to town but this afternoon we're taking her to see some lambs and chickens at our friend's farm for her birthday. She is enthralled with their pictures and loves going to visit. DH made her 2 toyboxes for her birthday and we also gave her a book, hit-a-ball, a nobbie ball and a wooden bead lacing kit. She really seems to like her helium balloon the best though, particularly when the cat bats at the little bell that's holding it down.

Family party is on the weekend and on Tuesday the moms and babes are coming over to celebrate. The babes are only 3 months, 5 months and 7 months old though so no party celebrations will be necessary...thank god. I'm not ready for all that birthday party stuff yet. I spent last night watching the video of her first 6 months and today I'll watch the rest.

Rambling now....sorry for the long post. Hope you don't mind me joining in.
#75 of 591 Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 PM

Welcome IslandMommy
and Happy Birthday to you and your Annelise!

My DD would love, love, love a visit to a farm. She's suddenly very interested in animals other than our cat & dogs - Yesterday, she tried to follow the crows & seagulls we saw during our morning walk around the block, and was very frustrated that she couldn't fly away with them.

We're also tinkering with our nighttime pajama/blanket combo. Ava would like to sleep with nothing but her diaper & wool soaker on, but it's too cold for that these days - Especially now that she likes to crawl to the head of the bed, out from under the blankets, to sleep in the chilly air between DH & myself. We had to replace our furnace last week. During its annual tune-up, the technician found a crack in the heat exchanger, so he had to disconnect it - NO heat at all for 3 days, when the new one was finally installed. BRRRRRR! It was so cold, Ava actually started cuddling up with me again, nestled down under the blankets. Now that we've got heat again, she's back to no blankets, but I'm worried a bit less about it - It seems that she will get back under the blankets if she gets truly chilled. So, we're sticking with one pair of cotton pj's over her diaper & soaker.
#76 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 03:17 PM

Hi to all the new mamas!

Is my DS the only one who isn't walking yet??? It seems like it'll be awhile still... He doesn't take any independent steps, even though he's almost 14 months, although he holds on with just one hand.

He is obsessed with lights! Everytime he sits in the rocking chair with his daddy, he points to the lamp and says something that sounds like "that". We try to get him to say light, but he can't quite get it yet.

He L O V E S The Wiggles! He loves trying to do the actions with the songs (especially the "Romp-Omp-A-Chomp" one), and sometimes he gets so excited he'll just start clapping because he can't keep up. It's so cute! I want to get some Wiggles CD's to play in the car- when he's screaming and crying while I'm driving and I start singing a Wiggles song, he'll usually stop and listen! It's sad that I know every Wiggles song known to man, but the kids absolutely love them, so I have to also. They teach good values, and they encourage music and dancing so I feel OK letting them watch the show. It's better than Barney, another character they love to watch sing and dance!

I loved looking at all the pictures! Everyone's babes are adorable! And it was good to see some mama pictures, too- it helps put faces with names! I'll get to putting new pics up soon... I had a nasty computer virus and had to re-format my hard drive, which wiped out all my pictures and settings.

Have a nice day, everyone!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#77 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 04:06 PM

Who are the Wiggles?

Anyone else have an orangutan nurser? DD wants to crawl away with the nipple in her mouth. Last night she was nursing and she managed to move from a regular side lying position to facing head down with her feet on my head...all without letting go of the nipple! I had to laugh, although sometimes it just drives me crazy!!
#78 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 05:43 PM

ok, i'm jumpin ship from babes to toddlers too! oceano (definately an orangutan nurser ) has been toddlin' across the living room for a week now (not straight). he'll be one this week and i find it amazing that he's been here that long. ok, he's trying to help me type, so we'll check back later, but we did get one new picture up if you click below (really, he's a boy!)
#79 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 06:08 PM

The Wiggles are some goofy Australian singers/ dancers with a kid's show on Disney.

Oceano is soooooo cute! You were lucky to have one of those big beautiful pregnant bellies- free of stretch marks! Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#80 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 08:38 PM

Jackson doesn't walk yet either. I thought I was the only one! My kids always walk late, though.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#81 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 08:50 PM

Oceano has more hair than my dd!! When oh When will she get hair?? I don't have any pics to put up here (I'm just not that computer savvy) so you'll have to take my word on it. I thought my dd had hair, but it's nothing compared to the beautiful full head that Oceano has....

Anyways, hi everybody!! And welcome to all the new mamas. My dd is big into animals too. i really wish we had a farm around here that we could visit, but we'll settle for the city zoo. She loves the zoo, and also any other animal, cat, dog, fish, birds and squirrels eating on our porch, etc.

She is definetley having orangutan tendencies lately too. Maybe she's picking it up from all the monkeys at the zoo??

Gotta go for now. Her new obsession is the keyboard which makes it hard to post very often, but I'll be keeping up with the reading at least.
#82 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 09:27 PM

Just noticed that dd has cradle cap...at 1! She never had it when she was a newborn. She has a moderate amount of hair which we've only washed with shampoo a couple of times in her life. We just wet it every night in the bath.

Suggestions for how to clear it up? Should we start using shampoo?
#83 of 591 Old 01-24-2004, 09:29 PM

I remember hearing olive oil before. My kids never really had cradle cap, though, so I don't know. Doesn't Weleda have a cradle cap salve?

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#84 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 01:28 AM

or cradle crap as my dh dubbed it :LOL

I found the best thing was a loofa or those bath scrubber type things and just really rub every day to get the dry skin off. Winter is a big time dry skin time. My second two dds have eczema and it always gets worse in the winter.

You could try shampoo, but probably most effective would be you gently using your nails when you are rubbing the shampoo in and a little bit of Eucerin or the like has always been the best at clearing up that kind of dry skin for us.

So, Isabel is nursing less and less. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if she weans herself in the coming months.

I must have a if I'm to get through this w/out

No fair! First a toddler, then a non-nurser! Next thing you know she'll be out on a date w/her ears pierced and a couple of tattoos!

#85 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 01:36 AM

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...103&members=1.

Here is a more recent picture of Ava without the googely eyes :LOL

Oceano is sooooo beautiful. Wow what great hair he has. I love the name too. Ocean was at the top of my list two kids n a row and dh vetoed it both times.

Well the link doesn't workj the way I wanted it to, but the most recent is the second from the bottom. The second from the top was taken 10/7 and that is pretty much what she looks like now except with a little more hair.

#86 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 01:45 AM

My dd had cradle cap around 5 mos of age. I asked my ped, he said a small dab of Head N' Shoulders should do the trick. Mix it in with some baby shampoo and rub it the head and gently rub it in. Let it sit for a bit, then rinse.

After rinsing, you can gently use one of those plastic fine toothed combs to comb out the flakes. You may have to repeat the procedure later in the week to get everything. I didn't have to, it all went away the first time.

I was worried about the harshness, but I tell you, we have not had another bout of cradle cap since. And it only took a few minutes.

BTW, my dd has sensitive skin and the small amount of Head N' Shoulders didn't seem to bother her at all.

If you do decide to try this, be very careful to not get it in her eyes. YIKES!
#87 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 02:08 AM

Hello
I am not new to MDC, but I am new to this thread. For the longest time I kept looking in the Life w/ a Babe forum until I realized my youngest dd is a toddler now! Still my babylove, though ! Scarlett has been walking since right before her birthday (11/19), much earlier than her sis. At 10 months she started cutting down on BF and decided she was going to eat big people food! Even though she has only 4 little tooth buds she eats just about anything. We only nurse 3 times/day and sometimes she skips the afternoon session. She says mama, dog, ball, ahh (when she wants on my bed), and a few other little words. Sometimes I miss my little snuggle bug, but it is fun to watch the girls interact more with each other as Scarlett gets older. Right now I feel very satisfied with two babes and don't plan on having more. However, you never know what the future holds!

A note on cradle cap...Scarlett has tons of hair, not real long, but thick. For the longest time I didn't notice the cradle cap. When I wash her hair I try to use my fingernails to gently rub her scalp, and then after bath I comb her hair for as long as she will allow. This seems to get some off. Really I am hoping it will eventually take care of itself!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#88 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 08:02 PM

lilyka--loved the pics of you and your family. There is so much joy in them. The one of you and Ava just after you gave birth is lovely, you look radiant considering you just pushed a baby into the world. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm still working on getting some of ours up.

Island Mommy--there's a calendulated oil by Weleda that is good for cradle cap. Warm it a bit, massage it in, leave it overnight. In the a.m use a baby toothbrush to comb out the skin and then wash. The calendula is good for skin irritations.

We are having a challenging time. Ds is still nursing 7-10 times a night. This past week he's been up every 40-60 mins. Sleeping so lightly that I can't roll over or he wakes up and we go thru the whole latch on, nurse all over again. Last night I was dreading going to bed tho it turned out to be a better night--only 7 times I'm now seriously considering nightweaning.

Anyway I'm exhausted alot of the time and I'm wondering what other babes are like. Ds still wants to be held most of the time. Particularly first thing in the a.m. We get up, I change his diaper and then we settle in the living room/kitchen. Dh is making his breakfast and most of the time I seek out the rocker wanting a bit of space. As soon as ds sees me sitting down he crawls over and starts crying to be picked up or else to nurse. If I don't most of the time (but not all) it escalates into full-on crying. The only way I can have a cup of tea is to leave the room while dh is with ds. This just doesn't seem right. I'm starting to worry that by having always responded so quickly to his needs as I've done that I've set up a situation that I'll regret as ds gets older. Please tell me this isn't so because I'm really doubting my 'attached' approach right now

He's started to stand on his own for several seconds and I'm thinking this might be why he's so clingy lately and wanting to nurse all the time. Any of you more experienced moms have any advice, insight?
#89 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 08:30 PM

solsticemama, oceano is very much like that, only i can't even leave the room without him crying. i can count the number of cups of tea i haven't had to drink lukewarm since his birth on my one hand
the nightwaking (every hour or 2 in our case) has never really bothered me. we wake up just enough for latch on, which doesn't really disturb me, and he sleeps 12 hours at night and between 1-3 in a nap so i have plenty of opportunity to get my sleep too. even with the disturbances i have never felt sleep deprived. i understand that others may not have such an easy time, and don't know what to reccomend if volume of sleep can't make up for quality to one.
i think it is important to keep in mind that according to most sources, separation anxiety peaks between 1 and 2 years of age and only dwindles as baby passes 3. and yes, our ap style will supposedly make baby more clingy in these times, but i believe that in the end (and a recent mothering article stated 4 full years of reliable mama being always available is the best) our children will be the most self confident, happy, etc etc kids and adults they can be.
so take 3 deep breaths, pick up and cuddle your baby, and realize that before you know it they will be off in the world without you and only in the present moment can you give them the love they need to live in it. (this advice is mostly to myself) our little ones are still so young and full of needs!
peace and love.
#90 of 591 Old 01-25-2004, 09:19 PM

Well solsticemama, dd slept much like your ds up until just after Christmas, when dh and I tried to nightwean. We did days 1 - 4 of Jay Gordon's plan then went back to nursing, but even though we didn't complete the whole thing we've seen a definite change in dd's sleeping pattern. Last night after her bath I took her in the bedroom, nursed her, read through Goodnight Moon once, then lay down with her and within 10 minutes she was asleep. No nursing!! No crying!! A month ago I would not have believed this possible. She slept from 9 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. before her first wake-up. Again, this is absolutely amazing.

We haven't got to where we are without crying though. There were nights when she definitely was not happy. We never once left her alone though and always tried to comfort her. I just had to make a change so for us it was the best thing. One of the most positive outcomes for me is that I now realize that things can change and that dd will be OK. So for now I'm not pushing through with the full nightweaning because I believe that if I feel I have to do it in the future it will not be too hard.

During the night I now always give dd the chance to go back to sleep on her own. Before, I would nurse at the first cry. Now I give her a minute or two and gauge whether she is getting more upset or winding down. Often she will cry for less than 30 seconds, flop around a bit and then go back to sleep. If she doesn't, I nurse her. We cosleep but dd now sleeps on a futon pushed up right beside our mattress. Towards the morning when I'm really groggy I bring her into bed with me.

So we've gone from 8 - 10 nightwakings or more to an average of 4 or 5. That makes a huge improvement to how I feel in the morning! And last night dd slept from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page