nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 591 Old 02-08-2004, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me reiterate KAH

lilmiss' mama--thanks for the info. I was just on the DONA site last night and liked what I read. There are a couple of upcoming workshops that I'm interested in but doubt I'll be able to attend since ds probably won't be able to accompany me. What made you choose Alace over DONA? Just curious.

Hope all you mamas and babes, oops, I mean toddlers are having a good day.

#182 of 591 Old 02-08-2004, 09:09 PM

solsticemama--I don't have any concrete reasons as to why I chose ALACE over DONA. It just felt right. And for whatever reason I like the name better. Weird, I know!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#183 of 591 Old 02-08-2004, 09:55 PM

My DD is pretty grumpy these days. I think that she is teething. The incisors are the next ones to come through. Moms who have been through this before, were these ones hard on your baby? I don't know, because she had NO problems teething with the other teeth.

I'm feeling pretty depressed right now. Being alone for so long, I've seemed to finally get some "finding myself" time. I'm staying at my mom's place, but she went to Arizona for a month and a half. She will be back at the end of the month. Mamafern was here for a while, but now she won't be back till the end of february as well. It's just me and the babe.

I've been taking her outside a lot these days. SHe loves it sooo much. She is finally able to explore "on her own". We went to the park a few times, and she played outside on the deck for a while this morning. It feels so much better to be outside. I need the sunshine!!!
#184 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 01:27 AM

My dd has not gotten her incisors yet but my Mama told me that these were the toughest for us kids. She said sometimes our eyes would even appear puffy while they were coming in. I hope it's over quickly for you two.
I know what you mean about the sun. The Oregon winter has seemed very long. Take care of yourself and the babies. Spring will be here soon!
#185 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

welcome bakeria.

my dd is holding steady at 7 teeth. 4 top, 3 bottom. looks kinda funny IMO. I can feel a whole bunch more below the gums, but no signs of more teething yet.

I went in for my annual pap smear this am. I am on the mini pill. Had some spotty bleeding last month. She said it was normal, but since it was the first time and I was already there -- did a pg test. so I KNOW I'm not pg, but there's this tiny part of me that was a little sad when it was neg. DH is not yet ready for another and I don't really want another november baby. Winter is tough in duluth with a wee one.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#186 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 05:44 PM

The same thing happened to me a few months back, kerc. I switched from the mini-pill to the Nuva ring. I thought it'd be weird, but it's actually better for me- no pill to remember/forget.

I do want another baby soon, but we have no room in this house for another child. I want another boy, but that's mainly because then he and Zach could share a bedroom, and we wouldn't have to add on to the house! (Crystal and Julianna already share a room...)

Anyhoo... boring day here today.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#187 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 06:46 PM

I took a pg test on Saturday and it was negative. I'm bummed. Not that I have even gotten my period back, but there's that part of me deep down that wants to be. And the funny thing is that Owen keeps me so danged busy, I can't even imagine another little one right now, but I'm LONGING for a newborn again. :LOL
#188 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 07:47 PM

No time to chat (who's got time?), but just wanted to say, hi, I miss you all!
#189 of 591 Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
aaaagghhhh all this baby talk. We are done and I am just a little sad about it. I am so conflicted. I don't want more teenagers which means no babies becasue they have a funny way of turning into teenagers like that. But I want more babies. . . . I lovd htis stuff! But it just gets harder and harder every day.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#190 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 AM

Hi mamas~

kerc - My daughter had the four on top and three on the bottom thing going for a good six weeks!! Just yesterday her bottom left incisor came through. It does look funny, doesn't it, kinda lopsided!

As far as teething, yes I think the incisors have the been the hardest ones on my dd. I was on here just a little while ago asking the same thing - what helps? My dd didn't go for the cold washcloth trick, but she does love her toothbrush (thanks kerc I think you were the one who suggested this). We have one that we just let her chew on as much as she wants, as long as she's seated and yes she seems to understant that "rule" quite well. Also I make her super thick smoothies with extra ice so it ends up having the consistancy of icecream. I use yogurt and fruit, ususally bananas and strawberries and a couple of ice cubes. She LOVES that. Also, i've been reading a lot lately about Vitamin C and it's ability to decrease inflamation so we've been giving her some extra vitamin C these last few days. HTH

Oh yes, and I'm 23 (not for long!) and my dh is 26........ and yes we've both been feeling "old" lately. I think mostly because we have been doing a lot of "growing" in our thinking and views. The more we learn, the less naieve we are and the older we feel.... At least I think that may have something to do with it.

Dd has been down to one nap for a little while. But this last week she's suddenly not napping at all... I'm definetley NOT ready for that........ i'm not sure what to do, but I really need that nap time for myself. REALLY REALLY REALLY. dh is a full time student and works full time so there are MANY days when my only break is that nap... I'm really hoping that it's just a fluke and she settles back into an afternoon nap. Otherwise you may never hear from me again!! She is obsessed with the keyboard and mouse so it is impossible to do any thing on the computer when she is awake.

gotta go---
#191 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 12:40 AM

punkprincessmama, how do you serve your smoothies to your dd? In a regular cup, sippy cup or with a straw? I'd like to start introducing them to my dd but am not sure how to get them inside her rather than on her!
#192 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 AM

All of a sudden, both Zachary and Julianna got their schedules all screwed up. They don't want to take one big nap from 11-1, now they want to stay up until 2 and sleep till 4. Then they're groggy and tired, but it's too early for bed so we have to try and keep them up, and deal with their attitudes... Very crazy. I hope they get back into their old groove... I was doing pretty well on the schedule we had going!

Zach had been grabbing red potatoes from the pantry lately, and taking bites out of them :LOL, so we gave him a whole nectarine today. He did really well with it, taking big bites on his own. He loved it! And it was weird watching my BABY eat such a big-person food. They're growin' up soooooo fast...

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#193 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 01:44 AM

Nothing makes Ava look grown up like when she is casually eating a whole apple. She loves it. her first tantrum was when she got her sisters apple and Lily took it away from her. She screeched and threw herself on the floor. She was probably about 9 months old. has been eating them that way ever sense.

She has 10 teeth completely out and 2 more almost out. i believe they broke through the other day but have hid again just to be pains.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#194 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 AM

teeths seem to be our enemy these days... :LOL
she has 9 thru the skin, and three molars still breaking through. So far, the molars have been the worst BY FAR!! And they are taking a lot longer, naturally as they are bigger.
We broke down and gave her some baby advil so she could sleep a bit better at night. It has helped, and i can tell when it starts to wear off...

DD loves to eat whole apples too. she doesn't actually get too far.. she likes to take divets out of the apple, then gets bored with it. so i get the rest! she still eats mostly momma juice for hunger, so everything else is pretty much for fun and amusement.

#195 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 AM

Island Mommy -

When I make a regular smoothie for dd I put one cup of yogurt, one small banana and almost one cup of strawberries. Then I put it in her Tupperware cup that has a hole for a straw and she does well with that. She also loves to drink them straight from a regular cup but she needs help with that still of course! For teething I make the smoothie thicker by adding extra fruit (frozen) and ice cubes, usually 4 - 5. Then I put it in a bowl and she eats it with a spoon like icecream, only healthier. The cold seems to numb her mouth. Oh yeah, this recipe will make enough for you to have some too!
#196 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 03:16 PM

Scarlett's teeth are so slow! She only has 4, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. They have been coming in for about a month now and they still aren't all the way thru. I call them tooth buds.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#197 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 PM

mamajazza dont be sad! we love you! come visit us if you get lonely

fern elwynn and timthy

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#198 of 591 Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM

my daughter is 14 months and she only has one tooth i don't know where the rest of them are...the one tooth she does have she got two months ago...but she's doing so well on everything else, she is so smart. she knows where her eyes, nose, mouth and belly are. it's so cute! i say where's your belly? she puls up her cloths and touches her belly...my smart girl!
#199 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 12:02 AM

Trini girl--my mom said I didn't get my first tooth until I was 18 months. My grandma always says that because my teeth were so slow they will last a long time! I'm sure your dd's are on their way!

#200 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 02:36 AM

late teeth are a blessing. enjoy that toothless smile while you can.

Ava finally cut those two bottom molars in muchc tavail tonight. I was really sick to day, mastitis maybe. it is seriously the only other time in my life I have gotton a fever. I kept thinking what trooper to just hang out with me. then once my fever broke I relized she had a fever. 104*. i kant belive I missed that. I let her nurse (it hurts soooooo bad I don't know if I can go on) and she seemed to feel better, although i started feeling much worse. then we had some ice cream and then she threw up my poor girl. Now I am starting to feel sick again. I need a shower but the thought of being that cold (there is no heat vent in our bathroom or hall way) makes me feel like hurling. How did someone who hates cold this much end up in flippin' SD.

#201 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

edited to add sandra I hope you feel better soon.
(just spent about 2 minutes looking for the right little guys smile and came up empty). Pop in a video for your dds and make yourself some tea!

here's the post I originally posted.
car seat question:
specifically aimed at those of you with more than one kiddo, but any comments/input would be appreciated.

We have a britax roundabout as the primary carseat. We just bought a second car last weekend which finally has a backseat. I am envisioning dh picking up and/or dropping off dd at dcp. Without a doubt we are buying a second carseat.

The question is which one. Do we go ahead and buy another roundabout (which is less $$ than the newer wizard) or do we buy something that can later be a booster seat?

The one thing that got to us about the graco infant carseat was how much the straps twisted. I had been looking at the alpha omega by costco, but honestly I hate costco stuff usually.l

any input? I'm going to post on the toddler board too.

#202 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 01:24 PM

We have a Cosco (not the same as Costco) Regal Ride for both of our kids. They were both $50 at Target. They should last to about 70 lbs. Right now they're both at about 20 lbs, and it fits on the 2nd strap (there are 3 settings). They seem to like them!

#203 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM

I got a Highback Mountain Summit for my youngest dd when she moved out of the infant seat. It can be used later as a booster. She seems to like it. They range in cost from $100-120. The cheaper one is at Wal-Mart.: The seat also got a good rating from consumer reports.

#204 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 03:24 PM

www.carseatdata.org

kerc check out the above link. On the website is a section called carseat compatability or something like that. It is a database that helps you find carseats that will fit well in your particular vehicle.

We have the Cosco Alpha Omega, because it fits well in my car. We like it very much, it's secure, easy to use, etc. However it has received poor ratings from Consumer Reports as a booster. So when dd gets older/bigger we will buy her a new booster.

HTH
#205 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Hi . I've never logged on to this thread for some reason, but I have a November 02 babe. He's a lovely little walking man. :LOL So I am joining in the fun, as it were.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#206 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Welcome, eilonwy. Congrats on the new lil' sprout, too.

#207 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

i am checking it out. EXACTLY the kind of info i was looking for.

wrt computers...we have an old keyboard that we had laying around. whenever i am on the computer and erin wants to be too -- we tell her "go get your computer" it buys me about 10 minutes at least

#208 of 591 Old 02-11-2004, 10:34 PM

Well, I decided *not* to read the last 6 pages. Sorry, I hang my head in shame. Dd is 14 mos and learning to run. We recently quit it with the shampoo and soap for dd and me, though I'm still using soap on my hands during the day. Hmmm.... Dd who was very small for her age seems to be catching up a little bit, and I've been shelling out for organic fruits so she's been eating lots of new foods lately. Berries and oranges and bok choy amongst other things. I'm taking an intensive class right now and DP watches dd all day Sunday but is nearby so we spend breaks together. It's nice, because of the nature of the class I feel very comfortable with it. Once dd started crying outside the door and my teacher asked if the class heard what she said or if they were all good moms and listening to the baby. She also told me to get out there and nurse her. Very cool. I guess that's all from us, I'll try to read back in segments and see what's going on with all of you.

Lauren
#209 of 591 Old 02-12-2004, 12:26 AM

What a cool prof. !! It is cool that it can all workout for you like that.

I am feeling a little better. My fever is gone. What a wreck that made me. It is only the third time I can remember having a fever and (and all were in the last 18 months) I just go nuts. I burst out crying over everything, I hallucenate, I shake uncontrolably and get raging headaches. I can't belive my children go through this one a regular basis. I will definitely be using the tylenol a little more liberally with them with no regrets. Called my MW today and she put me on a pretty hefty antibiotic (which reminds me, time to take the next dose - four a day on an empty stomach, no food 2 hours befor or 1 hour after. at least this will help with my diet :LOL). She said it was a classic case of Mastitis. She also told me nopt to wait to call. I htink they have it written in my chart to remind me of that everytime I call. Ava seems to be doing a little better. her fever was lower and her teeth are through. She is sleeping now and hpefully tomarrow will be back on her schedule which just helps her feel more right. She kept dozing off and then waking up and looking around like "I am not supposed otbe here now and I am tired but I can't sleep" I feel so bad for her.

how many words are your kids saying? I have always felt that Ava was behind verbally. I got a thing in the mail today and it went over where should be developmentally and she just isn't there. She says "ticka ticka" while wiggling her fingers. Thats about ti. She says mama and da every now and then and has said madeline and Lilyka (slear as a bell) once each. otherwise nothing. The note said she should say about 3 words other than mom and dad. She signs "more". And she doesn't identify anything in books or on her body or anything. She does OK with people like "where's pop? where's sissy?" Does this sound normal. Why am i suddenly worried about my 3rd child I wasn't like this before :LOL I must be going nuts.

#210 of 591 Old 02-12-2004, 12:39 AM

Lilyka-I am sure Ava is fine. I think kids with older sibs don't speak as fast as first babes because they have so many people speaking for them or getting them what they need.

Scarlett has just really started to say things within the last few days. She says eye, nn for nose, baby, ball, mama, again, go, more, and very oddly she has said alligator, butterfly, and sunglasses. They were clear as a bell and totally random. However, if you ask her to say them she won't.

I am glad you are starting to feel better. I had a mild case of mastitis with both girls, not fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page