nov/dec 02 mamas continue....others welcome to join in the fun - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 591 Old 02-14-2004, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, whoever has baby lust can come over to my house this July to help me change two sets of BF poo diapers 5 x per day!!! I know Mamafern is going to. She's my SIL.

About being stepped upon... Right now I have two sensitive boobs, and a growing belly to worry about. I was just thinking about this today, before I read any of these posts. It's like I need to protect my whole front from her, she is just so young. She doesn't understand that it hurts mommy and/or the little baby.

As you probably have noticed, I'm pregnant, so I'm intent on gaining weight, rather than losing right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 591 Old 02-14-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kerc
i gained on the order of 80 lbs with the pregnancy, had the baby and 6 weeks later was only -6. Did i mention my babe was 9lbs 1 oz?
wow!! that is awesome! i weighed 10# myself. My mom thought i was twins. :LOL

i gained bw 55 and 60#, which was a lot for this 110# girl!
I was a bit underweight, so i am not trying to loose all that i gained, so i just have about 10# to go.
I did lose 30# after the first 48 hours.
i thought that was too cool.

#243 of 591 Old 02-15-2004, 09:13 PM

Tyson started walking in the last week and there is no stopping him now!! I am amazed that the little guy doesn't even want to be held sometimes...I never thought the day would come! I was so ready for this, 15 months is a long time to pack a baby around!

We also left him with grandparents for the first time Sat night and it went great! I am constantly impressed by this child and really feel our parenting choices are starting to pay off. We picked baby friendly hours (dropped him off around 4:30 and picked him up at 7) and they just played and played. He didn't cry when we left and it was about 30 min after we got there till he wanted one of us to hold him. I know it may not always go this well, but it is nice to know we can leave for a few hours if we need to now and then.

I have NO baby fever! We have always planned on spacing at about 3 1/2 years and that still feels right. Tyson just seems like such a baby to me still and I wouldn't mind a break between nursing and another pregnancy if I can get it!

I gained about 20# with my PG and have lost about 40# since he's born. I'd like to lose about another 10# but have noticed that it's not as easy as it was, he must be nursing less. I need to realize I don't *need* all those extra calories anymore! Another great reason to breastfeed in my opinion!!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Beth
#244 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

hi mamas!
i have officially been "dropped" by all of my non-baby friends. It sucks. I know that they probably aren't worth it anyhow if they don't have time for me in my new (or not so new) lifestyle....but it still hurts my feelings KWIM?

i wish i knew ya'll irl. I was on the road yesterday and driving home from minneapolis -- I was just dying to talk to someone on my cell phone. We have free nights so I could just blabber away. I couldn't think of a single person to call other than my dh. I've got to branch out! I thought about calling my inlaws. they are always chatty --

erin has rsv, i think. she got it at daycare. She just started coughing today, but the other kids all had it first. who brings their freakin kid to daycare sick? I guess I do -- but I did call her first and the other kids had all HAD the stinking cough already.

ok I've got to get back to work. or make that start working.
talk to me about your babies and lives so i feel like i have some friends!!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#245 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 12:32 PM

aw, shucks! You were in the cities--we maybe could have hooked up! Next time you're coming down, LMK.
#246 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 PM

K, I wait too long between reads! I think I had to skip a few pages.

Baby lust...I don't have it. I didn't have it when I *had* a baby, either....maybe I was just too stressed to enjoy Sascha as a newborn. Not sure. But I am in no hurry to have another. I'm 35, though, so the clock is tickin'.

I gained about 50 lbs w/her and was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant, so I'm not disillusioned that I'll lose all the weight without some more work! I'm about 10 lbs off my original weight but my body fat is way, way up there from what it was...and right now it's too cold for me to be motivated to run....

Sascha says quite a few words...dada, mama, kitty (comes out kzhzhzhzhzh), dog, ball, bowl, hot (for hot and cold things!), potty, car (well, she says 'brrrrrrmmmm!" for car), moooo (for cow), hoooo (for owl), haha (for sheep..her version of baaa). She "said" her first sentence the other day - she signed "help", then "more", then said "dog" -- she wanted me to help her get some treats for the dogs.

She just started doing this Riverdance thing where she dances in place by stomping on the floor...it's too cute. 'Oh, she likes to do that when she's standing on top of her toybox,' DH said to me last night. !!!! Sometimes I am glad I just keep the office door closed while I'm working.

I'd love to meet y'all IRL sometime...kerc and Brayg, DH's family all lives in Minneapolis and we'll be out there this summer for a wedding...

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#247 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 02:43 PM

quick question for you all....

how does your breast milk change before your periods?
do you think the taste changes, or maybe your smell?

dd radically changed her bm patterns 1 week b4 my period started this month. when af started, she returned to normal.
it was wierd....

gotta go......

#248 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 02:47 PM

Unfortunetly I can add myself to the list without enough friends. All the friends I have with kids live at least 500 miles away. And we haven't even seen each other since we've had kids! It is hard to meet people when I go from work to home. Not enough extra $$ to go out with the kids and winter in NE isn't the time to head to the park! I too have the cell phone with unlimited nights and weekends and couldn't think of anyone I wanted to call. to everyone!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#249 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't actually want a realbaby, ijust want to want for one :LOL I am such a looser.

I don't know that there is any realtion scentifically but I have a raging case of mastitis right now and I think it is directly related to the return of my period. Here is the time line
Jan 30: Get my period and spent he weekend away with Ava (keft the other two) Notice discomfort think she must have latched on funny.
Feb 7: I notice more discomfort while nursing. assume thrush and use genetian violet. does noithing.
Feb 10 raging case of mastits hits me
Feb 18 still suffering.
Sound completely related tome. I bet she changed the way she nused or somehting (as if I would notice, I have been nursing pretty much solidly for the last 4 years) and messed up the flow, I get a plugged duct and the rest is infection hhistory.

here are some things I have learned about mastitis that LLL won't tell you. (I used to ba a LLL leader and wa appauled at the way they blow this off) If it is bacterial you should get on antibiotics as soon as possible because it only gets worse with every passing hour. it can however be viral. You can get it from a sick child nursing and you can make your child sick (ava spiked a fever within 2 hours of me getting mine. and it was gone a few hours after I stopped nursing her. When I nursed her againh er fever came back breifly. I hardly think it was a coincedence.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#250 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 06:09 PM

Zach just got out of the hospital, after 3 days. He had RSV, pneumonia and bilateral ear infections. He was so sick! I thought I'd be happy to come home, but now Crystal and Julianna have a stomach flu. So, they're puking out one end and they have junk coming out the other end... UGH! The laundry never ends! (And, sweet loveing wonderful DH only did 1 load of laundry while I was with Zach in the hospital, so that didn't help...) DH and I have to keep the kids separated, and we have to wear gowns and gloves in the girls' room so we don't get Zach sick. He's on steroids for the RSV, so his immune system is compromised. He's been on antibiotics for over 48 hours so he's no longer contagious, but we have to worry about the girls' stomach bug getting him sick. I am so tired, and ready for the sickness to be over! When it rains it pours, huh Mamas??? I probably won't be able to post as often as usual until things calm down around here, but I just wanted to let you know we're still here! Pray for us, please.

Peace to you all...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#251 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 07:18 PM

I'm sorry mama! I'll be thinking about you and praying as well!
#252 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 07:32 PM

elwynn and i didnt sleep a wink last night. its the first time since he was Tiny that i remember feeling sooo tired. he nursed all night, but in a really manic way. he wasnt happy about the milk he couldnt breathe well ( he has a cold) and he woke up at 4:30 wanting breakfast! he has an eye infection too. his eyes are all red and puffy and he looks soo sick. im taking him to the clinic soon. we are moving on saturday and im stressed because we planned to move in a few weeks and now its been bumped to saturday and i dont know if we can bring everything with us or not.. ak. moving is so much stress. hmm. as for babies today i sure dont feel like being pregant or having another one! some days i do some days i dont. thanks everyone for your feedback on the topic. at least i know im not crazy to think about another baby.. but my partner says NO! never. im sad because of his reaction. i dont want another baby NOW, but some day and he's very against that idea.

love fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#253 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Mamafern - my dh said he didn't want anymore after our frst and we have three. Don't be a nag but if it is important to you be sure you impress upon him just how important it is. each one of mine was a struggle but worth the persistance and the fight.

to all you mamas with sick kids. Holy crap I would be loosing my mind.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#254 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 PM

Hi mamas -

Big Ole Hugs to everyone with a sick kiddo.... esp you Kids At Heart. I get stressed worn out with just one sick kiddo. You are an incredible mama!!

Mama Fern, have you tried putting some expressed breast milk in your little one's eye? I have heard that can work wonders for eye infections. I have heard about it curing pink eye actually. It couldn't hurt to try....

As for being dumped by childless friends.... been there. It hurts doesn't it? DH is my best friend, and has been since we met, but I'd love to have some IRL mama friends..... when we moved here I thought I was going to meet lots of great, like minded mamas. My next door neighbor is only two years older than me and has two little ones. Her youngest is just months older than my daughter. I was so excited. Now that I know her very well, I just don't want to be around her. We get along fine. But as far as mothering goes we are exactly opposite in every way possible. She is a spanker and a yeller and a "go away you are bothering me" kind of mom and I find that if I spend a lot of time with her I'm not as patient and gentle with my daughter as I usually am.
Everytime we get together I find myself having to defend my parenting at every turn... why I don't give my fourteen month old soda and candy was the last one... (she does and repeatedly offered candy to my daughter after I politely refused and refused and refused...) Anyways, I'd love to meet some mamas around here that are like minded. We found out about an AP support group here and showed up for the meeting this month...except that us and one other family were the only ones that showed up. They had never been there before either. We sat in our cars and talked a little but it was night and cold so we all gave up and went home... I guess we'll try again next month. :

Oh yeah, and Mona, I have no idea about BM changes. i have only had my period twice since dd was born and I didn't notice anything then. I'm due for another visit to the red tent later this week so I'll start paying attention.

#255 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 09:11 PM

My oldest IRL friend (not age old, but length of friendship old) is so totally opposite of me. I just hate it. It's to that point where the friendship needs to end. She's constantly making really bad decisions (financially, relationship-wise, etc) and her friends and family are always bailing her out and then she sh*ts on us in one way or another. She isn't a great mom--she *needs* her time away from her kids--going to the bar, etc. I'm just not like that. I'm a breastfeeder, non-vaxer, etc. She's a formula feeder (though she joined LLL with me before her last baby was born and caved a week into it) a vaxer (she wasn't going to vax, but never bothered to do any research and caved at her dd's first well baby checkup), and we just have nothing in common. It's so sad that a 15 year friendship has gone down the tubes, but I'm happy where my life has gone and she's not happy with hers.

I've got some pretty good IRL friends that live in my neighborhood. I'm just not that great at tribing. I'm a homebody most of the time--it's comfortable, kwim?
#256 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 PM

I know exactly what you mean Brayg. i'm the same way.
#257 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 11:13 PM

All you poor mamas with sick kids might get a chuckle out of my afternoon. Inspired by your stories I decided to do one of my yoga videos. I thought maybe dd would do it along with me. Pretty silly huh? Anyway, everytime I would lie on my back she would clamber on and start nursing. What a visual, eh? It was pretty hilarious.
I feel for you homebody mamas too. I think my next door neighbors think dh and I are antisocial hermits cause we don't want to hang out and drink beers all the time.
Hope everyone feels better soon.

Bakeria mama to dd Faye born 11/17/02
#258 of 591 Old 02-18-2004, 11:51 PM

Like lilyka said if I had 3 sick kids I'd be losing my mind! Now that the girls sleep so well through the night, it is tough when they don't. Mama needs her sleep!
As far as meeting people goes...I would love to have more friends with similar parenting styles, but at the same time home is so comfy. It is hard to get myself out. My grandma tells stories of card parties and neighborhood get togethers and it sounds so nice; yet why am I so unmotivated?!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#259 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 12:03 PM

Big hugs to the mamas w/sick kidlets....DD has a nasty cold, but that's nothing compared to hospitals and the barfing flu.

Brayg, you wrote: "She isn't a great mom -- she *needs* her time away from her kids..."

I need time away from my kid sometimes...and I don't think I'm a bad mom. I *need* time to myself to recharge and make me a better mom. (I don't go out drinking tho...half a beer and I'm conked out on the couch, yk? But half an hour of me drinking coffee at the bakery while DH and DD hang out at home....yes!!!!)

I think that wanting or needing time alone doesn't make you not a good mom. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but I've been reading a lot from moms (here and on email lists I'm on) about wanting to do things "on their own" and feeling guilty about it. No guilt!

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#260 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that wanting or needing time alone doesn't make you not a good mom. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but I've been reading a lot from moms (here and on email lists I'm on) about wanting to do things "on their own" and feeling guilty about it. No guilt!

I totally agree. I think the key thing is that needing time to yourself is not the problem. I think oftentimes people I think of as poor parents need too much time away from their kiddos. I always think why have kids if you don't want to have fun with them. It is not like most of us need them for extra hands on the farm or anything. I just get so ticked off at the people who see kids as a checklist item -- check, they've done that in life. Kinda like buying a house or something. I need time away from most other people, spouse, baby, boss, etc. I mostly need time to recharge me as a person. i think kids need this too -- time spent playing by oneself can be a very valuable thing.

wrt to sick kids. hugs to you mamas with super sickies. Leah I could rant about the lack of laundry my dh does when I am away until the cows come home. My solution -- when I begin doing laundry again I pick out all his clothes and put them on the bottom of the pile to be washed. Granted it is a passive-agressive kinda thing, but it makes me feel better.

Erin is getting better. She's got a little cough, but slept great last night. She's always the last one to get sick at daycare and she gets the mildest version of whatever goes around. I attribute it to the regular ingestion of mom-juice (our name for breast milk, numnum or the equivalent was too, umm babyish for my dh ).

wrt friends -- I'm feeling a little better. I'd love to meet some mamas in Minneapolis -- I'm there rather regularly. Most trips go like this: get up at 5am, nurse baby (who goes to dc for the day), drive to cities, work in lab like mad until ~6pm and then return home. whew, one exhausted mama. But sometimes dh goes with and then we bring erin along.

#261 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

oh one more thing.
breastmilk and ovulation.

there are changes in bm with ovulation and your period. hormonal changes. so probably a supply drop for a day or two and/or subtle taste differences. I did a google search last week for something like breastmilk and ovulation and came up with some interesting pages (sorry no time to provide links. I'm working at my geochemistry : ok need to get back to work that is).

edited to add mamajaza did i miss something here? are you having twins or are you just talking 2 babies (i.e. your toddler too)?
Quote:
Hey, whoever has baby lust can come over to my house this July to help me change two sets of BF poo diapers 5 x per day!!! I know Mamafern is going to. She's my SIL.

#262 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Whoops! Not what I meant, sorry!

Didn't mean to put those 2 things in the same sentence. I don't think she's a great mom, but for plenty of other reasons that I didn't list. The needing to be away from her kids thing--that's just another example of how we are different. If I need time away from my kids, it isn't in the form of going to the clubs to gyrate with men. It's more in the form of going to the grocery store by myself or sitting at the computer uninterrupted for an hour. Or a hot bath. She and I just have nothing in common anymore.

Sorry again 'bout that. A breather from the kids is very important sometimes and you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
#263 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Well, dd has mastered the scowl, she furrows her brow at you to say she disapproves of things. It is too cute and I usually end up laughing at her so then she laughs. She is learning her colors and repeats everything you say! She is also still working on running, I guess it's a long process. She has started eating all the time. If she is not eating, then she is signing "food" and saying "MMMmmmm...Mmmm...mmmmmm..." She runs to the kitchen like a puppy if you go in there and starts begging for scraps. And get this, she *loves* black ocffee. DP takes her out on Sundays when I am in my class and gets her organic, fair trade, swiss water processed decaf and she will drink a whole cup, black. One day she was begging for my coffee and I thought if I give her some she'll never beg for it again. I was wrong. In fact, I ahve been wrong every singe time I've done that. This kid loves onions, garlic, smokey flavors, the strongest, weirdest things. She likes to eat limes! Silly girl. Anyway, Hope everyoe is well, we're growning by leaps and bounds lately. My dd who was 16# from about 3.5 mos to 11 mos and then was slow to grow until 13 mos has put on POUNDS this month! My poor left arm is getting tired more often and my hip is permanently stuck out from bearing weight now I think.
#264 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 08:32 PM

Big to you KAH. get well prayers your way.

I've suddenly got a big eater too. After 13 mos of pretty much just mama milk ds has suddenly found an appetite for solid food. His current faves are raw english peas, blackberries, avos, strawberries. He also seems to prefer seasoned food. Mustard greens with garlic, ginger and soy. Tofu with same. Spinach with onions. Can't say that he likes coffee tho . However he's always keen on clambering on dh to drink from his a.m. coffee or my tea so we give him his 'homeopathic' dose which consists of ds putting his mouth on the mug :LOL He does like some of the herbal teas I've given him. Roiboos is a big fave for both mama and babe.

My SIL is and due in the summer and this week I went with her for her prelim. ultrasound since her dh couldn't make it. It brought back alot of memories but I didn't feel a strong urge for another babe. Right now ds is in a very clingy stage. He wants me to carry him everywhere. Easier said than done since he's 28.5 pounds. Plus if we're at home he wants to nurse every 10 mins. : Anyone else going thru this?

Ok mamas
#265 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 09:59 PM

Ditto on the nursing all the time! Is she trying to increase supply or what? Sometimes if she's playing happily with dh or on her own I even avoid her because I know as soon as she sees me she'll be clambering up for a drink. Or doing that little whining thing. Lately I've been trying to distract her just a bit.

She seems to be in love with my breasts these days. I think she'd love it if she could walk around and play while keeping my nipple constantly in her mouth...must be why some kids are so attached to their pacifiers! Unfortunately, she has to drag the whole parcel (me) along with her. She's always pulling up my top and patting at my breasts, looking at the nipple and pushing it in and out like a pushbutton. I don't let her do that much because I'm not keen on her doing that when we're out in public.

Baths together are out these days, unless I'm feeling up for a constant nursing. Luckily dh loves taking a bath with her.

No words yet except dada and hi. I'm really looking forward to talking with her.
#266 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Island Mommy
She's always pulling up my top and patting at my breasts, looking at the nipple and pushing it in and out like a pushbutton. I don't let her do that much because I'm not keen on her doing that when we're out in public.
:LOL I totally empathize! DD goes through her stages. like i mentioned before, the other week she was totally not interested. now we're back to "nummers" 'round the clock. she LOVES to play with them too. she just giggles and smiles endlessly to be able to touch them and play with them. i also limit this behavior, bc i'm afraid she's going to hurt me. sometimes i let her for awhile, and then push my shirt down and move onto something else.

on the public thing, i guess i am lucky in this regard- dd will not nurse in public, or in front of anyone really. if she is really hungry, and it is pretty quiet, so will go at it. but other wise, even dh has to leave the room. : it makes it hard to nurse her when we are out and about, bc she's hungry, but too distracted to get the goods. :

#267 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 10:17 PM

veganmamma - one of my housemates SWEARS dd loves coffee. his story is that dd's been "eyeing" the coffee process (grinding beans, percuating, drinking) ever since she first came into the kitchen when she was just days old. he blows coffee aroma towards her, and she smiles BIG!!
and she is always tring to get some of his coffee from his mug. part of this is her love of drinking stuff. but part of it is her love affair with coffee!!!
needless to say, she gets a taste from the spoon ONLY, and on rare occassions at that. she is too hyped up as it is. :LOL
#268 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 PM

All of my children love coffee. I drink decaf most of the time and don't have problem giving them a little cup. I don't see what the big deal is. Now caffinated, not a chance. Ihave them convinced caffien is poison :LOL

Ava is almost done nursing. it hurts so bad when she nurses that any amount of whining is preferable to actually ursing her. I let her have it 2 times a day but that is all I can cope with I didn't want to wean her so fast but thats life. she is still getting it i guess.

#269 of 591 Old 02-19-2004, 11:17 PM

Oh, I forgot, dd SINGS! It is so cute. She sings while she nurses and begs for me to turn on music for her to sing along with. I got some instrumental records so she can make up her own songs.

I had my first AF a couple weeks ago at 14 mos post partum and since it is gone dd is back to nursing every 10 seconds. She is less than 20 pounds though, so it's not *too* bad carrying her around all the time, I just need to adjust with each growth spurt.
#270 of 591 Old 02-20-2004, 12:31 AM

Also, solsticemama, where are you getting strawberries? I saw some Driscolls at Raley's for $5 but the organic one was half the size and still $5 and considering the shape the raspberries were in, I wasn't feeling like it was worth it. Dd won't do frozen fruit unless I bake them into something and I really only want her to eat organic produce, especially strawberries. Is there some secret farmer's market I don't know about? :LOL You are the second bay are mom who has said their toddler was eating berries. Dd can eat $5 of organic raspberries in about 15 minutes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page