What Is The #1 Veggie Consumed By Toddlers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
DS will pick broccoli over any other food offered.
:

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
They are so limiting in what the offer DN, sure "he won't like it."
I don't get that at all. When we're introducing a new food, I like to make sure I have something they like as back up (although that food is usually put away, so they don't just opt for it instead of trying the new thing). I have no idea what they will or won't like, so why not get them to try? For example, ds2 loves spicy food...he likes butter chicken, and chicken cooked in a coconut curry sauce, with a fair bit of chili peppers...stuff like that. DD doesn't. It's not an age thing. It's a personal preference thing.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
I consider potatoes and corn to be starches, not veggies.
me, too! Especially potatoes. I know technically it is a vegetable but still. I try and always serve at least two veggies with dinner, usually something cooked and a spinach leaf salad. We eat potatoes about 3 nights per week, too, cooked in a variety of ways but I don't consider it a vegetable. It's instead of rice or pasta which we have the other nights.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ds will eat just about any veg and fruit - bar bananas. hes not keen on fries, when we do havethem which doesnt happen often. favourite atm is probably peppers and sweetcorn and peas and mushrooms
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_G View Post
When did you all introduce peas and edamame? I haven't done either yet because my MIL said they can be difficult for babies (choking hazard). She said that when the kiddo was 12 mo. She's nearly 20 months now, so maybe ready?

Her favorite vegetable is avocado
My DS has been eating steamed peas since...I don't know...8 months? It was one if his first foods that he could easily pick up himself and he loves them. Probably his favorite so far, as others have said. Haven't tried edamame yet, should get some for him...

His favorite fruit however is any fruit he can get to his mouth!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
My ILs were amazed when we went out to eat that DS ate and loved mushrooms, peppers, potato off my plate instead of french fries. Nephew's meal came with a bowl of minstrone soup (pretty good for a kids meal I thought). SIL almost sent it back becuase she was sure he would not like it (he is 5). It's one of DS's favorite foods. They are so limiting in what the offer DN, sure "he won't like it."
See, I used to think this was the reason so many kids were picky eaters and only liked "kid" foods, and was SO determined that MY children were never going to be like that. We did baby-led solids, and were off to a great start - at 9 months old, DD loved curried lentils, peas, carrots, squash, and other veggies, and pretty much everything she ate. I consciously tried to avoid "kid" foods. Fast forward to a few months later (sometime around 13 months) when she started deciding many of the foods she had previously liked were akin to torture. These days, it's a rarity if I can get her to eat almost any vegetable (we manage spinach by putting it in pizzas we make, or putting it in mac n' cheese), I have one of those children who is happiest with mac n cheese and grilled-cheese sandwiches, and the best way to get her to eat a vegetable is to bake sweet potatoes in the oven and call them french-fries.

Not saying I'm any less appalled than any of you at "French fries' being considered a vegetable, just that it isn't always about parents putting limited assumptions on kids that causes them to be picky. I'm amazed (and jealous) at the large number of you whose kids eat such a huge variety of veggies. We keep offering them, and every so often DD surprises us, but mostly you'd think we were trying to poison her with the looks she give us. I was uber-picky too as a child, and not at all as an adult, so I'm hoping she'll grow out of it.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_G View Post
When did you all introduce peas and edamame? I haven't done either yet because my MIL said they can be difficult for babies (choking hazard). She said that when the kiddo was 12 mo. She's nearly 20 months now, so maybe ready?

Her favorite vegetable is avocado
It was one of my dd's first foods.. so probably 7 months ish? She has always loved them, since day 1 - has just picked them up and fed herself, never a choking issue. Now at 20 months, if she sees me take a bag of frozen peas from the freezer she demands "PEAS! PEAS!" and loves to eat them frozen. She would eat a huge bowl of only peas. She LOVES them. Her big bro was, and is, the same way.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Carrots go over best here. They are getting a little picky lately though.

My kids don't like french fries.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
Me too! I've been wanting them ever since this thread started!
Me too, I'm gonna go make some! haha

If you asked DD what her favorite food was, she'd probably say french fries- As if she eats them a lot! She usually doesn't, but this past week DH's parents were visiting and we went out to eat constantly. We're vegetarians and DD doesn't eat dairy so most of the places we went to (that the IL's picked), there wasn't much else for her to eat. Thank goodness she likes salad! :

So I'm not anti-french fry at all. Unless you're talking McFries, I'm not even sure you can call those food.

As far as her favorite vegetable-- She used to be SUCH a good eater, now it's a struggle to get her to eat most things. She loves corn but we don't eat a lot of that, so I'd have to say raw carrots.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
See, I used to think this was the reason so many kids were picky eaters and only liked "kid" foods, and was SO determined that MY children were never going to be like that.

Not saying I'm any less appalled than any of you at "French fries' being considered a vegetable, just that it isn't always about parents putting limited assumptions on kids that causes them to be picky.
I get that, I really do. I'm experiencing it myself. As DS gets older and wiser he is becoming pickier. He used to eat everything we put in front of him, not so much anymore.

My issue with IL's is that they are the ones limiting what DN will eat, sure he won't like it. They only ever serve him "kid" food sure he won't like anything else.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Given all the "sad" responses, I'm guessing ketchup.

Now to read on and see if I was right.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Close the answer to the Start Healthy Stay Healthy video was French Fries

User Tag List