Nail biting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 1/2 year old daughter is a major nail biter. She does it when she's bored, tired, whatever. Her hands are always, always in her mouth. A few months ago, her hands used to always be in her nose. I'm seeing a trend here.

She sometimes bites down so her finger tips are red and she says it hurts. I haven't made an issue of it yet, or told her to stop. I'm not keen on seeing all the places her hands go and then seeing them in her mouth, though, and seeing her bite her nails makes me think she's nervous or something (which she isn't, since she does it all the time).

Is this something she'll outgrow like the nose picking? Should I try and distract her or ask her not to do it? I had this lady tell me "there's stuff you can put on her nails to make her stop doing that" which made me irritated. She's only 2. My tendency is to just let this play out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Bump?
#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Haha I'll reply, but I'm afraid that I don't have many ideas for you.

My mom tried EVERYTHING to get me to stop when I was little. She put nasty stuff on my fingers and fingernails, put tape around the tips of my fingers, took away privileges when she caught me biting them, etc...

It didn't work! I still bite them to this day. If something is stressing me out or I'm worried about something, I bite them. I wish I didn't, and have tried multiple times in past years to quit, but I can only stop for a few months and then something happens and I'm right back to where I was.

I think I maybe my mom gave it too much attention when I was younger, which is why I didn't just grow out of it? I'm not sure but I think just distracting her could help to see if she grows out of it. Good luck!!!
#4 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 AM

#5 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my daughter, I think nail-biting is a sign of zinc deficiency. I was a nail biter too, and as an adult I know I've had zinc issues. For me, thyroid issues and depression are two of the things that have been zinc-related.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page