Spanish for Toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I don't know about where you live but when we were in the States there was a Spanish group for parents and toddlers in our town. All people were welcome but it was a private group put together by some moms.

We read books in German to Aya, which is a start but I really wouldn't be able to teach her myself and I'm learning German.

I would try to find a way to expose your daughter to a fluent speaker.

I totally admire your efforts! You know that when people talk about what parents “owe” their kids I think about a second language. In fact, it was my husband’s and my most significant common goal for our child.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-11-2004, 06:04 PM

Go to your library. See what they have!! There are many programs. One is Teach Me -fill in the language- sing songs in English then what ever language.

It could be a wonderful start for you two.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:00 AM

We want DS to learn Spanish also. We are fortunate that in this day care they speak Spanish a lot. His primary teacher knows that I want him to learn Spanish, so she speaks to him exclusively in Spanish. We also bought him the Language Littles doll, Ricky. We have another toy that is a ball. When you roll it it sings the alphabet song in Spanish. If you press a letter, it pronounces it correctly. We also have videos in Spanish. We don't use them much because we don't encourage him to watch tv. But we will use them when he's older. He is also 18 months old. He was adopted from Guatemala. We feel it's important for him to know this part of his heritage.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM

My dh is teaching himself spanish with audio cds from a company called pimsleur while he drives to and from work. then he reads board books with dd is spanish that we get from our public library. she is starting to pick up the color names and has figured out there are some books that are just for daddy. (i don't know spanish at all.)

the cds dh is using are fairly expensive, but he is loving them and learning a lot. i think they work differently than most language cds, but I couldn't expain exactly how.... maybe someday i'll use the cds too.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 AM

we are a bilingual english/spanish family and i have tried to find stuff for dd that is in spanish toy, video and book wise. we speak mostly spanish at home and english in the outside world so i want her to be exposed to both when reading, etc.

leap frog has some toys usually found online that are spanish speaking.

we have the brainy baby spanish video and she likes that. it teaches colors, numbers, some verbs, some nouns and a few manners.

i think most important would be exposing your son to the sounds by way of music, etc. we found a cd at walmart called beary la bamba and she loves it. i don't mind it either. i have heard good things about jose luis orozco's stuff too. de colores in particular.

another idea if you plan on letting your son watch movies is to get DVDs with spanish language tracks.

pm me if you want any other suggestions!

also, if you happen to have a spanish channel like univision, i think they have plaza sesamo (sesame street) early in the morning.

also check out this website www.spanishtoys.com

Good luck!

User Tag List